Alfonse, Prince of Askr

Corrobin

Alfonse has suffered hard and long from a mediocre stat spread, disappointing personal weapon and a lack of IVs or merges. But these concerns, while still relevant, can be shifted to the side with the new Refinery option to Folkvangr.

Stat distribution: 43/35/25/32/22

As we can see, Alfonse is a slow but physically tanky and strong Infantry Swordsman. While he will get SHREDDED by any mages with a half-decent attack stat, he fares well against physical opponents.

Let's look at a few builds.

Brazen Prince (Low-HP dual-phase brawler)

Spoiler

Weapon: Folkvangr, refined for Attack or Defense
Assist: Flexible, but Reciprocal Aid would help with the nature of this build, letting him get into Brazen range without having to fight. But play it per your tastes.
Special: Also flexible. If you're on a budget, keep Sol. If you want to invest more, my big three suggestions are the Moon (Luna, Moonbow), Fire (Ignis, Bonfire) and Dragon (Draconic Aura, Dragon Fang) special families.
A Slot: Brazen Attack/Defense if going for a more tanky build, Brazen Attack/Speed if trying to go more offensive.

B. Vantage or Wrath.

C. Flexible. Tactics skills if running a mixed team, Infantry Pulse for an infantry team, Spurs and Drives, Hones and Fortifies for buff utility, Smokes or Threatens if you want to debuff. Do what you want!
Seal: Close Defense or Deflect Melee.

Triangle Master of Askr (Triangle-Adept using Green-killer)

Spoiler

Weapon: Folkvangr, refined for Triangle Adept
Assist: Flexible
Special: Flexible
A: +Attack or +Defense, Close Defense, Fierce or Steady Stance, Death or Armored Blow, anything that can boost his Attack or Defense.
B: Green Tomebreaker or Axebreaker.
C: Flexible
Seal: Flexible.

Defender of Askr (Enemy-phase tank)

Spoiler

Weapon: Folkvangr, refined for Defense
Special: Sol
A: Fierce or Steady Stance, Close Defense
B: Vantage
Seal: Flexible

Prince of Swords (Player-phase tank)

Spoiler

Weapon: Folkvangr, Attack refine
Special: Bonfire, Luna
A: Sturdy Blow
B: Chills, flexible
Seal: Flexible

Triangle Master of Askr (Triangle-Adept using Green-killer)- run a breaker skill for reds as he powns green mages in one hit already. Of course you could use it to avoid doubles, but you're already taking lower damage because of TA

Defender of Askr (Enemy-phase tank)- I guess you could run Sol to survive, but it'll take you out of brazen and vantage range

Prince of Swords (Player-phase tank)- drop the chill for swordbreaker. Have someone else use a chill who doesn't need a b slot

22 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Triangle Master of Askr (Triangle-Adept using Green-killer)- run a breaker skill for reds as he powns green mages in one hit already. Of course you could use it to avoid doubles, but you're already taking lower damage because of TA

Defender of Askr (Enemy-phase tank)- I guess you could run Sol to survive, but it'll take you out of brazen and vantage range

Prince of Swords (Player-phase tank)- drop the chill for swordbreaker. Have someone else use a chill who doesn't need a b slot

1. Fair enough

2. It's mostly because it's cheap and gives him more survivability.

3. Chills were just the first thing that came to mind-hence "Flexible" after that.

Yeah, Brazen/Vantage as a means of recovering more HP with Sol is a valid strat I'd say. In that case, it's not so much the case that you want to stay in Brazen range as it is that Brazen (and Vantage) are your means of boosting Sol and staying healthy, I think. Definitely agree with Swordbreaker for the player phase build though, it's certainly helpful for slow sword-wielders like ol' Al. 

Regarding the formatting, I'd suggest going more minimal when it comes to the build options themselves; just slash skill options for the build and explain the skill choices and combinations in summary below the build. It's kind of difficult to read and ingest as is currently, or otherwise has too little explanation for stuff like Prince of Swords. 

Edited by BANRYU