Most useless unit in Fire Emblem?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy. It's like IS went out of their way to make a joke character and they went above and beyond.

5 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The big, useless lump known as Gareth. At least Lyre comes early enough that you can train her and be of some use.

I would argue otherwise - I already have one terribad (okay, that might be an exaggeration when it comes to Ranulf, but cat is just that damn bad a laguz class) cat forced upon me at that point, and adding another would hurt far more than it would help.

Still beats what Gareth does i.e. dying on the first turn of 4-E-4 due to being gang-raped by Thunder, Wind and Fire Tails.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

FE6: Wendy, she gets one rounded by an archer when she joins. She's an armor knight. Her lowest growth rate (aside from res) is def at 30%. She joins at level 1 during chapter 8, one chapter after an arena was avaiable. And don't think she can be good due to the fact that the rest of her growthrates are 40% or above and that you can eaisly grind her up. She has 4 mov and the next chapter is filled with axe users and Wendy can only use lances before she promotes meaning she'll get destroyed. She's worse than Bors and Barth and that's saying something. Hell even Sophia (!) is better!

FE7: Karla. She's the 3rd final character to join your army and how do you recruit her? You have to grind Barte to a level 5 warrior, and Bartre isn't a great unit either. Once she joins her stats are abysmal 14 str on a level 5 swordmaster with a 25% str growth means she'll hardly be able to scratch things and her 18 speed isn't great either. She offers nothing to your army, I'm pretty sure that a freshly promoted Guy and Lyn on average already have similar if not better stats and they don't require raising a below average unit in order to get them.

FE8: Ewan. A Pupil that joins in Chapter 12 when the game has 21 chapters... His bases are awful: 3 magic and 2 skill, 5 speed and 15 hp, by the time when most of your army should already be promoted. He'll need to level up 20 times before he can get a 3rd tier promotion and that's just wasting exp that more useful units would really like to get. You might think as a Pupil/Trainee he will have good growthrates, but no. His highest growth is 50% luck, while he has 45% magic and 40% speed, while these growths aren't bad, they can eaisly screw him over (why couldn't he get growths like Miranda from FE5 for example? and I'm talking about magic, speed and skill just in case). By the time he joins you already have Natasha, Artur and Lute who are pretty competent magical units and should already be promoted at this stage of the game. And during the chapter he joins in (Eirika's route) or 3 chapters later (Epharim's route) you get Saleh, who's a powerful pre-promoted sage, who needs little investment with his bases and solid weapon and staff ranks. He CAN be decent, but that pretty much requires abusing the tower, but then again everybody can be good with tower abuse.

19 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Wendy. It's like IS went out of their way to make a joke character and they went above and beyond.

Really?  Gwendolyn?  Knowing you, I thought you'd say any of Binding Blade's axe-wielding infantry, like Gonzalez, but okay.

If anything, Arden from Genealogy of the Holy War is a far better example of a difficult to use/joke character than Gwendolyn could ever hope to be.  Like Wendy, he has bad Movement, but he's in the game with the biggest maps in the series, so he's even worse off there.  Throw in a lack of Holy Blood, Sword-lock until promotion, complete inability to double-attack without the Follow-Up Ring, and even a quirk personality revolving around him being slow, and you have possibly the OG Fire Emblem joke character.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

I think I’ll have to agree w/ Wendy. Only way she could be worse is if she had garbage tier con, which would be funny, but what we got was bad enough anyways. Also stop picking on Gareth he’s useful for 4-E-5. Even if that’s one chapter it’s still one more than most bad units (and like 1/4th of Radiant Dawn).

8 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Really?  Gwendolyn?  Knowing you, I thought you'd say any of Binding Blade's axe-wielding infantry, like Gonzalez, but okay.

If anything, Arden from Genealogy of the Holy War is a far better example of a joke character than Gwendolyn could ever hope to be.  Like Wendy, he has bad Movement, but he's in the game with the biggest maps in the series, so he's even worse off there.  Throw in a lack of Holy Blood, Sword-lock until promotion, complete inability to double-attack without the Follow-Up Ring, and even a quirk personality revolving around him being slow, and you have possibly the OG Fire Emblem joke character.

The thing is, awful units like Arden and Hannibal(Who is actually worse than Arden) do somewhat have a purpose in FE4. They sit their asses on the castle and make sure nobody takes them. 

Granted if it ever gets to this point you've already royally fucked up, but it is a purpose.

Trying to find a purpose for Gwendolyn is like trying to find a purpose for tits on a bull. She's got an awful build for an Armor Knight, and while she appears more useful than somebody like Sophia, she'll only ever have 5 move unless you waste boots on her. 

She's a bad armor knight in a game where armor knights are at one of their lowest points in the series. 

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Aut said:

Also stop picking on Gareth he’s useful for 4-E-5. Even if that’s one chapter it’s still one more than most bad units (and like 1/4th of Radiant Dawn).

First of all, no, I will not stop picking on Gareth. Secondly, Ena can do the same exact job as Gareth and has better stats, so why would I field the big lump in the first place? Nasir can at least tank the crap out of every enemy left at that point in the game (which are all magical, and thus are covered by his Resistance stat).

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

First of all, no, I will not stop picking on Gareth. Secondly, Ena can do the same exact job as Gareth and has better stats, so why would I field the big lump in the first place? Nasir can at least tank the crap out of every enemy left at that point in the game (which are all magical, and thus are covered by his Resistance stat).

You can deploy both you know, especially since their boosts stack. It’s actually the only way most units can hit ORKO’s on the spirits. And since Gareth at this point is a better option to be fielded than Sothe, Kurth, and Sanaki, and you only have to ditch 2 people in 4-E-5 (3 if you get spoilerman) I see no reason for Gareth not to be deployed.

13 minutes ago, Aut said:

I see no reason for Gareth not to be deployed.

34 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Still beats what Gareth does i.e. dying on the first turn of 4-E-4 due to being gang-raped by Thunder, Wind and Fire Tails.

Same with 4E5, just replace "being gang-raped by Thunder, Wind and Fire Tails" with "being gang-raped by "Ashera, Thunder, Wind and Fire Tails".

Edited by NinjaMonkey

17 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

As mentioned, because Blood Tide stacks and auras are bulky. Is Sothe really contributing more than someone who gives +5 attack and skill to Haar, Ike, Caineghis, etc. at this point in the game?

@Aut I thought he joined after turn one of the chapter?

Anyway, I'd have to actually give the nod to Karla. Gwendolyn can break a wall or something, and most other awful characters at least have some level of availability in which to make them serviceable if you feel so desired. Most low availability characters make up for it with utility, being actually good, or at least having potential. Karla has none of that and on top of it, comes in a chapter that is a glorified battle prep so she can't even contribute in any meaningful way there. I wouldn't say she's the worst, probably still Sophia or Gwendy, but she definitely seems the most pointless. About all she can do is serve as a trophy for training another terrible character.

10 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

As mentioned, because Blood Tide stacks and auras are bulky. Is Sothe really contributing more than someone who gives +5 attack and skill to Haar, Ike, Caineghis, etc. at this point in the game?

I haven't fielded Sothe or Gareth for the final chapter ever since my initial playthrough of the game. Plus, I play on Easy Mode Japanese Normal, where everyone is given a +5 boost to all non-HP stats with Yune's blessing, making Blood Tide pretty much worthless.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

8 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't field Sothe or Gareth for the final chapter since my initial playthrough of the game. Plus, I play on Easy Mode Japanese Normal, where everyone is given a +5 boost to all non-HP stats with Yune's blessing, making Blood Tide pretty much worthless.

A stackable boost does not invalidate other stackable boosts. +15 is better than +5.

Edited by bottlegnomes

46 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Trying to find a purpose for Gwendolyn is like trying to find a purpose for tits on a bull.

Triangle attack. I don't blame you for forgetting it's not just for pegasus knights, given how everyone on this forum is infatuated with the move stat.

46 minutes ago, Slumber said:

while she appears more useful than somebody like Sophia, she'll only ever have 5 move unless you waste boots on her.

Do you consider Treck better than Rutger? Not even hyperbole.

1 minute ago, bottlegnomes said:

A stackable boost does not invalidate other stackable boosts.

Seeing as he's likely to die from all the magical enemies on the field, any boosts that Gareth provides won't be useful for anything other than the first turn.

9 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Seeing as he's likely to die from all the magical enemies on the field, any boosts that Gareth provides won't be useful for anything other than the first turn.

There's like 3 spirits per turn, you have at least one guaranteed decent healer unless you actively didn't level Micaiah, and he has 82 HP. Unless you're failing to kill those spirits and/or Ashera is basically only targeting Gareth, he's really not that hard to keep alive on easy or normal modes.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

If anything, Arden from Genealogy of the Holy War is a far better example of a difficult to use/joke character than Gwendolyn could ever hope to be.  Like Wendy, he has bad Movement, but he's in the game with the biggest maps in the series, so he's even worse off there.  Throw in a lack of Holy Blood, Sword-lock until promotion, complete inability to double-attack without the Follow-Up Ring, and even a quirk personality revolving around him being slow, and you have possibly the OG Fire Emblem joke character.

Well... @Slumber pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I will add, though, she suffers from a severe case of bad jointime.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well... @Slumber pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I will add, though, she suffers from a severe case of bad jointime.

True.  It's been a while since I played Binding Blade and I forgot Gwendolyn joins right before the axe-filled Western Isles.  I never bothered with Gwendolyn, not necessarily because she was bad, but more because I had already made up my mind to continue using Bors.  ...I also decided to use Elen over Clarine.

...So I was a bit uneducated then.