Titans and Shazam Trailers Dropped

So I figure everyone's seen these by now, but I figured I would share them. First up is the Titans trailer, which will be a series streamed on DC Universe, DC's new streaming service with everything DC. I will link that at the end of this in case anyone wants to check out the preorder page. But here is the Titans trailer, coming this Fall (by the way, warning it is rated TV mature):

So first things first, I personally think this looks.... just awful. I don't really see where they got any of the characters right but there are a few things I would like to point out. Cyborg is not going to be in this show. This show seems to have a focus on Dick Grayson as Robin and Raven. From what I've read, producers have said that the show will have a heavy focus on the sense of family that the Titans are known for. We'll see. If anyone wants to discuss this further, I'd enjoy that. :)

Now, coming next year is the movie Shazam! This was a big surprise to me, I had no idea a Shazam movie was in the works! Here's the trailer:

Now to be honest, this trailer looks WAY better. It actually looks funny and they're going back to Billy's original origin. I'm really looking forward to this honestly, here's to hoping they don't mess it up.

For those who want to check it out, the link to DC's new streaming service is here: https://www.dcuniverse.com/coming-soon/

Edited by Silver-Haired Maiden

"F*ck Batman" Nightwing, Titans 2018

When I heard that quote, I needed a minute to stop laughing. I heard some bad things about the Titans tv show, but this takes it to another level. The costumes feel that they don't want to be a superhero show. I pretty sure that there isn't many gritty Teen Titans stories to get inspiration from.

As for the Captain Marvel trailer, (I prefer that name over Shazam) I seem nice, drawing some inspiration from the movie Big which is a good choice. I'm more positive for this one. 

Edited by Jingle Jangle

"Fuck Batman" Has been my generic meme response to everything my friends have said for the past 24 hours.

The Shazam trailer I like. This is the most colorful, light hearted DC movie in this ill-advised movie-verse, and I think it fits the Shazam character perfectly. It's a story about a little boy living out every little boy comic book reader's fantasy of playing super hero. Definitely some promise here. 

There's also an Aquaman trailer:

This is actually the next DCEU film as far as I know. I heard there was a second trailer played only for the people at the event that somebody will probably upload cell phone footage of. 

6 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

When I heard that quote, I needed a minute to stop laughing. I heard some bad things about the Titans tv show, but this takes it to another level. The costumes feel that they don't want to be a superhero show. I pretty sure that there isn't many gritty Teen Titans stories to get inspiration from.

As for the Captain Marvel trailer, (I prefer that name over Shazam) I seem nice, drawing some inspiration from the movie Big which is a good choice. I'm more positive for this one. 

He is technically still Robin in this, but really he's my biggest complaint with this trailer. #DickGraysonDoesn'tKill2018
As for the costumes, apparently they're kinda going for Robin is the only established hero as of the beginning of this, so Starfire, Raven, and BB get their hero costumes later on. And no, there aren't many gritty Titans stories, they're known for having mature themes hidden in them but more for being a light-hearted family type thing.

Shazam looks like it's gonna be funny, which is great because I've heard he's always been a more lighthearted hero. Though you may want to be careful calling him Captain Marvel? DC hasn't called him that in a while and with Marvel's Captain Marvel coming out before too long it could really confuse people, especially new fans you know?

I just saw the Aquaman trailer, it looks.... interesting. I'm willing to give it a shot at least, it doesn't look as bad as Titans.

7 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

He is technically still Robin in this, but really he's my biggest complaint with this trailer. #DickGraysonDoesn'tKill2018
As for the costumes, apparently they're kinda going for Robin is the only established hero as of the beginning of this, so Starfire, Raven, and BB get their hero costumes later on. And no, there aren't many gritty Titans stories, they're known for having mature themes hidden in them but more for being a light-hearted family type thing.

Shazam looks like it's gonna be funny, which is great because I've heard he's always been a more lighthearted hero. Though you may want to be careful calling him Captain Marvel? DC hasn't called him that in a while and with Marvel's Captain Marvel coming out before too long it could really confuse people, especially new fans you know?

I just saw the Aquaman trailer, it looks.... interesting. I'm willing to give it a shot at least, it doesn't look as bad as Titans.

Yeah that's true, I just find that violent Robins (Jason Todd  and Damian Wayne) are hit or miss. From all of the attitude they reek off and this Robin is not exception.

I'm a 2000s comic book guy, I still call Marvel's Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel.

I'm excited most in the Aquaman movie for is Black Manta, I like the guy.

Shazam looks pretty decent overall. I'm actually excited to go see it and hopefully get some laughs. The suit is a bit rubbery looking but overall I'm excited.

I have been waiting for Aquaman since we knew Jason Momoa was playing him. I hope it's good and it turns into another fluke like WW was. My only worry is trailer really failed to convey the plot and it looks like it may be a massive hodgepodge. I just hope it has little bits of comedy sprinkled around so it isn't as serious as the other DCEU movies.

As for Titans, oh boy, what a mess. That is not Dick Grayson and I refuse to accept that. If that is any Robin it's Jason Todd or Damien Wayne. Dick admired the fuck out of Batman and only stopped being Robin since he was growing up and wanted to be in the spotlight rather than the shadows (Which is a big part in his contrast to Batman). The costumes all look horrible still. I will say Starfire's costume looks better but that wig is atrocious and her iconic star bolts should be green not actual fire. Beast Boy looks ugh and Raven looks like a generic 'It's not a phase mom' teen. I'll tune in to Titans to see how it goes since I love the Teen Titans and they were the super heroes I grew up with, but I have very low expectations. Thank god Young Justice is coming back though.

9 minutes ago, ΔZZ said:

As for Titans, oh boy, what a mess. That is not Dick Grayson and I refuse to accept that. If that is any Robin it's Jason Todd or Damien Wayne. Dick admired the fuck out of Batman and only stopped being Robin since he was growing up and wanted to be in the spotlight rather than the shadows (Which is a big part in his contrast to Batman). The costumes all look horrible still. I will say Starfire's costume looks better but that wig is atrocious and her iconic star bolts should be green not actual fire. Beast Boy looks ugh and Raven looks like a generic 'It's not a phase mom' teen. I'll tune in to Titans to see how it goes since I love the Teen Titans and they were the super heroes I grew up with, but I have very low expectations. Thank god Young Justice is coming back though.

This Robin appears to be Grayson's backstory, Todd's kill mongering, Drake's outfit and weapons, Wayne's general attitude, and then they slapped Dick's name on him and called it a day. Really though I don't mind the "F Batman" line because there have been many times in the comics where Dick was really pissed at Batman. Especially right before he became Nightwing. It took a long time for them to reconcile. I despise the whole killing thing though because I don't care how angry he is with Batman, DICK GRAYSON WOULD NOT KILL PEOPLE! There are some people trying to say that he didn't kill those goons but I mean really, he stabbed one in the neck and snapped the other guy's neck. They're dead. Though I do like how he seems to have some more tender moments, like when Raven hugs him. Perhaps there's still some Dick in there.

As for the costumes, I think I mentioned earlier that apart from Robin, Hawk, and Dove those are not their actual superhero outfits. They're still in civillian garb and will be getting their hero costumes at a later date. At least that's what I've heard. On that note, the hate that Anna Diop (Starfire's actress) has gotten is horrendous and needs to stop. Immediately. Poor girl, it's not her fault the costume design department is horrible. Also yes, she's never used flamethrowers. Even if they'd made them green it would've been better. Raven is probably my other biggest complaint with the trailer because she looks like someone decided to make a fan version of The Exorcist and slap Raven's name on her. Blegh. Oh, also I'm editing my original post to link to DC's new streaming service as I forgot to do that. As far as I know, that will be the only way to watch Titans or Young Justice.

1 minute ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

This Robin appears to be Grayson's backstory, Todd's kill mongering, Drake's outfit and weapons, Wayne's general attitude, and then they slapped Dick's name on him and called it a day. Really though I don't mind the "F Batman" line because there have been many times in the comics where Dick was really pissed at Batman. Especially right before he became Nightwing. It took a long time for them to reconcile. I despise the whole killing thing though because I don't care how angry he is with Batman, DICK GRAYSON WOULD NOT KILL PEOPLE! There are some people trying to say that he didn't kill those goons but I mean really, he stabbed one in the neck and snapped the other guy's neck. They're dead. Though I do like how he seems to have some more tender moments, like when Raven hugs him. Perhaps there's still some Dick in there.

As for the costumes, I think I mentioned earlier that apart from Robin, Hawk, and Dove those are not their actual superhero outfits. They're still in civillian garb and will be getting their hero costumes at a later date. At least that's what I've heard. On that note, the hate that Anna Diop (Starfire's actress) has gotten is horrendous and needs to stop. Immediately. Poor girl, it's not her fault the costume design department is horrible. Also yes, she's never used flamethrowers. Even if they'd made them green it would've been better. Raven is probably my other biggest complaint with the trailer because she looks like someone decided to make a fan version of The Exorcist and slap Raven's name on her. Blegh. Oh, also I'm editing my original post to link to DC's new streaming service as I forgot to do that. As far as I know, that will be the only way to watch Titans or Young Justice.

I can see that, but I still hate that they had Dick of all people say 'Fuck Batman' cause no matter how angry Dick would have been, he would never say that. And yeah, Dick would never kill. He was practically raised by Batman, the patron saint of do not kill (Unless it's the DCEU). I just hope he gets better throughout.

I sure hope that is only their civilian garbs because, yeah, I don't like them. I do agree, Diop has gotten a lot of backlash for the creative teams fault and it should stop.

It really sucks for me though that the DC streaming service is the only way to watch these since as far as I heard, it's American only and I live in Ireland so... yeah...

Titans might have been good or at least decent....but the "fuck Batman" line immediately killed it. At least it actually has action so it's automatically better than Teen Titans Go.

Shazam actually looks really fun to watch. The other DCEU movies take itself too seriously, usually devoid of any humor. Shazam shows that superheroes don't always have to be so serious all the time.

Aquaman might take itself too seriously in DCEU fashion but at least the visuals are gorgeous so it'll actually be nice to look at.

The moment that Dick Grayson killed those guys, I went "F*CK NO!!!!"

He's supposed to be an even bigger boyscout than Batman in terms of the "no killing" policy. To actually make this Robin be Grayson and kill people, that is a disgrace! How dare they! 

And you wonder why Marvel is kicking DC's ass in the movie and show business. 

Also a thing i haven't seen been talked as much about the Titans trailer: Why the hell is Dove, the pacifist superhero who an actual avatar of the power of Order and Peace, slashing peoples faces? If that was Hawk them it would be super in-character, but DOVE?

I find it funny that DC can't actually manage to reciprocate the titans from the early 2000s- first making them too young and unserious, and now making them gritty and edgy. I probably won't be watching the show, but I might try the first episode since I'll be getting the DC streaming service to watch season 3 of Young Justice (which also has a trailer now).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEU6WBpHMc

As for the movies, I think both Aquaman and Shazam look good. I'm a little more excited for Aquaman because he's probably my favorite DC superhero next to Doctor Fate, but Shazam's comedy/superhero movie fusion will be interesting. 

Overall, it's a good day to be a DC fan. 

Before Watching Titans Trailer: Okay, so I haven't heard the best things about the new Titans. Apparently, the sets are too dark, the costumes are goofy in a bad way, and Robin said "f*ck Batman". Despite not having any interest, I suppose it couldn't hurt to watch the trailer...

After Watching Titans Trailer: ...I thought the "f*ck Batman" line would have more punch. Also, it appears to be following the annoying "we make everything badly lit to show that we're 'edgy' and 'mature' when in truth our sets are dirt-cheap and the action is terrible, but we don't want you to see that" trend. Also the costumes...are such a glaring (and from a certain point of view, hilarious) contrast with the dark environment that it just plain doesn't mesh well. Neither does the blood. Despite my limited knowledge of Teen Titans, I do know that comic/show, while it most certainly had it's mature themes, was largely a lighthearted adventure with a focus on fun.

Is it bad to say that the Teen Titans Go movie looks more promising than this?

Anyway

Shazam looks like it's going to be fun. Something I was honestly surprised that Justice League did well was the humor, as a lot of the jokes hit their mark. Considering that Shazam always had a focus on being a fun comic that wasn't afraid to be weird or cheesy, I think they'll deliver on the promise of this being the lightest DC movie yet. That being said, while I liked the trailer, I don't want to jump the gun at saying if I want to see it in theaters or wait until it comes out on DVD yet.

Before Watching Aquaman Trailer: Finally! I've been wanting to see something about the Aquaman movie for a while now! Lets see what they have to offer...

After Watching Aquaman Trailer: ...Well, I can't say I'm bursting with excitement, but it's still nice to finally see something about the movie. I'm probably going to be seeing it in theaters. It seems to have a more... adventurous and lighthearted tone, I guess, which makes sense considering the directer, James Wan, refused to direct the movie unless it was lighter than other DC movies. For some reason, I get the sense that there will be several comparisons and contrasts to Black Panther, which I honestly don't mind. Also, nice to see Black Manta's costume, even it if was sparsely show! It finds the right spot between "works well in a movie" and "would fit in a comic book".

While not really a DC fan, it's great to see them learn from their mistakes, and I'm really hopeful that Shazam and Aquaman deliver.

Out of question, did we get any news on Wonder Woman 1984?

Quick note, I know pretty much jack about DC and it's heroes, so take what I say with a moderate amount of salt. I'd like to think I'm more trustworthy than a few measly grains.

Titans' trailer is meh. Thought it was gonna be a movie before I saw the trailer, but I guess it's just another superhero TV show. Except it's not on TV.

Honestly excited for Shazam. The trailer looks pretty nice, and the whole concept of the hero is really neat.

I'm not too sure what to say about Aquaman, but I'm intrigued in the movie now. The jokes seem amusing to an extent.

I'm rooting for these movies. I've never been much of a comic fan but its kind of pathetic how one of the biggest and well known branches keep failing while their rivals keep blowing everyone away with previously obscure characters. Who even heard of Iron man and Captain America before the DCU? They got the titans of Batman and Superman against characters who were (relative) nobodies a mere decade ago so why is this so hard on them?

At least one of these movies seems almost destined to fail though. If the common criticism so far was that everything is far too dark then why do they double down on this stance with Teen titans, a show about kid superheroes? Captain Copyright seems to be handling its tone a lot better. 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:06 PM, Jingle Jangle said:

i mean there are some dark titans stories but that requires a lot of development to even get there

Spoiler

Like the whole Superboy being mindcontrolled by Lex Luthor. 

Or the 90s titans stuff.

or the Titans Hunt story from the 80s. But that requires a heavily built universe. Literally the only thing they could do is retry the Trigon arc again, but that's kinda stupid to attempt with that lackadaisical attitude towards the comics aesthetic.

Titans looks like it's straight out of the 90s.

And by that, I strictly mean within live action comic book stuff. The dark era after the good Batmans were done with, and before Spider-Man and X2 made the genre legitimate.

This looks like it'd fit perfectly alongside Spawn and the cheezier parts of the first Blade movie.

Titans would've appealed to me when I was 12

On 7/22/2018 at 6:41 PM, Hawkwing said:

Is it bad to say that the Teen Titans Go movie looks more promising than this?

Apparently the movie has gotten pretty good reviews from the pre-screenings (So far). It seems that critics really like when DC shits on itself.

3 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Apparently the movie has gotten pretty good reviews from the pre-screenings (So far). It seems that critics really like when DC shits on itself.

I've looked at the second trailer before, and it looks... well, not bad? Whether or not it will be good is another story, but I'm surprised that it has some potential.

That, and being self-depreciation shows that the writers at least are aware of the shows reputation, and are fine with it being brought down a peg.

Shazam looks pretty good. I like that the foster family thing doesn't seem to be portrayed as hellish, and that he learns to be super with comedic effect is a bit cliche nowadays but I still enjoy it when an established and powerful hero has to do that. It especially works with him being a child inside.

25 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I've looked at the second trailer before, and it looks... well, not bad? Whether or not it will be good is another story, but I'm surprised that it has some potential.

That, and being self-depreciation shows that the writers at least are aware of the shows reputation, and are fine with it being brought down a peg.

While they do make fun of themselves, apparently the bulk of the show is about ripping on everything else that DC makes.

https://www.inverse.com/article/45522-teen-titans-go-movie-original-series-reboot

Titans Season 6 COULD be a thing, provided that Teen Titans Go to the Movies is successful enough. I'd also bet hard money that but would be on DC Universe (though I admit that's not the only possible scenario).