I'm about to try this game again. How do I get through the Dawn Brigade chapters?

I feel like these are the only chapters holding me back.  Enemy levels raise much faster than mine, I'm stuck with very few defensive units, most of the units I get are garbage, and I can't leave any of them behind.  So, how do I get through these?

So far, the only thing I can think of is save bonus exp for Dawn Brigade chapters, and unload on all my units in an attempt to keep them leveled.  Besides that, I don't know what to do.

I haven't played FE10 on hard difficulty , so i can't help you there, but if your playing on normal or easy i might have a better idea?

Really my strategy is to always pick 4 or 5 units to train and give all the exp to them, of course those 5 + Micaiah and Sothe, now you really don't need to worry about training Sothe, and i myself think giving Micaiah kills quite easy, so I normally never worry about running out of time to train her, I'm sure you know this but just always keep Micaiah out of enemy's range, and really just make sure not to put any unit into too much of harm's way, try to play it slow if you need too, even though that might not be your play style, but it might help you get used to how some of the chapters work in the future, you don't really get that many units that can take hits in Part 1, so you also need to be more careful in how you place most units.

I myself enjoy the Dawn Brigade chapters, while they may be harder, but I find them fun ^_^ 

I just feel they don't give you the tools to complete the chapter.  That can be fun sometimes, but it's exhausting and frustrating when you go from a stronger group.

So, focus on five units.  Alright.  What about on chapter 2+, same deal?  It seems like Micaiah, Sothe, Nolan, Jill, Laura (until Micaiah's promotion), Aran, Zihark, Volug, and anyone they throw at me with decent levels should be good for that.  I just try to get them through the chapters and level them via bonus exp I gain from easier Crimia/Greil chapters, and dump anyone who isn't pulling their weight, right?

I am currently on a Hard mode playthrough but I'm still on Part One, and have no idea on where you are. I would say though if possible you want at least some of the Dawn Brigade promoted by the end of of Part One. Say Aran (likely is the best tank besides Tauroneo who is already in 2nd tier) Nolan (generally pulls his weight well unless he gets speed screwed) and than maybe Jill for the 3rd candidate or maybe Edward if he's showing promise and or if you really want to use him. I wouldn't waste your time with Meg (Aran will probably have better def anyway) or Fiona. They're hard enough to level on Normal let alone Hard.

During part 3 you want to get the Dawn Brigade to tier 3 by the end of Part 3 if you can. (this will be easier if some of them are in tier 2 already) Again I don't know where you are, so sorry if you want something more specific than that.

I've played this game twice so far.  Once I got to the last boss before realizing I had no way to deal with her raidwide damage (fortify will do I realize), and another I got to part 4 before I lost motivation.  So I know the game, I just don't know how to effectively get through it.

Tier 3 before part 4?  That seems tough.  Most of my units aren't anywhere near that.  But, I think I might have a grasp of things a bit better now.  I think I have the confidence to try again now.

I think some mistakes I made were not using Sothe due to fear of him taking exp, not using Volug for the same reason, and not using Nailah as well as I could.  Probably if I can manage that and pour bonus exp into them, I may be fine.

I see. It might also be helpful to forge weapons, but plan it around when you will get money or if you can sell something expensive, like an Arms Scroll or a Gem of somekind. If you equip Sothe with Bronze Dagger, most enemies he will do damage to but they will still be alive allowing someone else to get an easy kill if that concerns you. I understand your hesitation about Volug, but if you use him throughout your playthrough you can get his weapon level to S and I think SS. (not positive about that one but S at least is attainable). Nailah is VERY helpful at least for two things in Part one. Helping to secure more Prisoners in the swamp map, and quickly killing the thieves in the regain castle Daien map before they can swipe anything.

So in my own first time through Hard run, I'm in part 4 now. My Nolan is garbage, my Leonardo is lvl4 Sniper, my Greil are half T3, and Ellincia's goons are all still T2 aside from Calill. And I'm not struggling at all. Pick a couple people you like a lot, and play with favoritism. My Edward is about to cap most everything as a swordmaster, my archsages are the same. Haar is god-king. Pick your faves and abuse them. 

It's very very very VERY hard to get the dawn brigade to tier 3 before part 4, and even  not needed, or at least not on normal or easy mode,  I never once got them to tire 3 before part 4 and I still manged just fine.

7 hours ago, Zorafin said:

Tier 3 before part 4?  That seems tough.  Most of my units aren't anywhere near that.

The best way to do that is with the Paragon scroll, taking advantage of the fact that shifted laguz give a lot of experience in 3-6. Of course, only one unit can equip it at a time, but it's generally best to focus on one DB unit going into part 4 since they have trouble catching up. If you're worried about numbers, you can switch Haar (who loves the desert) to bolster Micaiah's army.

lol? I almost always have 3 to 5 units from the Dawn Brigade join my endgame team, just split them up when part 4 first starts, make sure each 2 of them are on a different team, and just make sure to give them kills, and when it's time for endgame, they would had caught up. 

It would be a waste to only use one unit from the whole Dawn Brigade group tbh, yes it's harder to train them, but imo their worth it, or at least most of them are.

You have to focus on very few units. As you mentioned correctly in the OP the enemy's level raises quickly, so experience sharing will bring you to nowhere. I recommend to use everyone who'll get a personal weapon in part 3. Edward is a good player phase unit (if he has the speed to double constantly), Nolan easily the best enemy phase unit who's not Sothe or Volug thanks to earth affinity and high enough HP to take a couple of hits. Leonardo is mediocre, but he needs no investment to become semi-useful. Jill becomes fantastic player and enemy phase unit with some ressources. 

Part 3 is mainly turtling. Sothe (without beastkiller), Nolan, Zihark, Volug and Jill are the units who can hold the line. Edward with wrath and range sword is good for taking out the Laguz in player phase as Leonardo with beastfoe is. 

It's almost impossible to reach level 20 second tier till the end of part 3, but some units can use the mastercrown earlier once 2-3 important stats are capped.

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli

As more of an aside, but there's no shame in playing on "Easy" mode; the localization screwed up the difficulty names, with Normal/Hard/Maniac becoming Easy/Normal/Hard.

16 hours ago, Rose482 said:

It's very very very VERY hard to get the dawn brigade to tier 3 before part 4, and even  not needed, or at least not on normal or easy mode,  I never once got them to tire 3 before part 4 and I still manged just fine.

you can paragon them up and then use a crown or w/e it's called to earlypromote them to tier 3 in p3. I've only seen it happen in drafts though. 

Assuming you're on normal, use Nolan and Aran as your defensive units. They're pretty good walls, though keep an eye on Nolan and don't let him take too many hits. 

Any time you can safely wedge Aran somewhere with Laura near him keeping him topped off, you should. 

I am of the mind that although Easy was originally branded Normal, that Easy is a much more fitting title for it. Not to deride those who play on it, but the EXP is so plentiful and enemies so weak, plus the exclusive endgame buff, that it feels like an Easy to me. If there is any difficulty that is misnamed, it's Hard, because outside of a little extra tedium, it doesn't feel much harder than Normal.

I don't think you ever need to get a Dawn Brigade unit to tier 3 by the end of Part 3. I did do it with Aran recently on my one draft (he had to kill Ike to clear 3-13), but you're fine without it. Just move some powerhouses into the Dawn Army later (Haar is great as said before, and he shouldn't be hurting for EXP, which is what the Dawn Army isn't great at giving).

And yeah, don't be skimpy with Sothe early on. Zihark and Volug getting some action is okay too since they'll stay into Part 3. And you might as well use Tormod's trio for the swamp battle, plus Nailah, just don't use them too much in the prior fight or final battle, even though some use there is still okay.

I've played RD too many times lol. Anyone not named Nolan, Sothe, Zihark, Volug, Toroneolololol, and Jill are hot horse trash. Nailah, BK, etc. are obviously good but I don't really think you need tips on that :). Micci can kill horses and armor, but that's about it. Steal dumb mage kid's shoes. Ignore him and the laguz muppets he wonders around with (needed for swamp chapter but that's it). Nolan needs STR 1-2 STR growths within the first two chapters to not ruin your run. Energy drop can fix him, but it's better to give it to Jill. Jill sucks when she shows up, but slap her with forges and +2 statues and watch her just like Haar senpai~~ Boom, you just beat DB chapters. Remember to strip skills off of the plethora of useless meat sacks DB gives you. Sell Meg's fortune for a fortune.

Edit: as a side note, Ilyana can be decent if you insta-promote her. You're not bringing her to endgame or outside of DB chapters anyways, so go for it.

Edited by Centh

5 hours ago, Centh said:

I've played RD too many times lol. Anyone not named Nolan, Sothe, Zihark, Volug, Toroneolololol, and Jill are hot horse trash. Nailah, BK, etc. are obviously good but I don't really think you need tips on that :). Micci can kill horses and armor, but that's about it. Steal dumb mage kid's shoes. Ignore him and the laguz muppets he wonders around with (needed for swamp chapter but that's it). Nolan needs STR 1-2 STR growths within the first two chapters to not ruin your run. Energy drop can fix him, but it's better to give it to Jill. Jill sucks when she shows up, but slap her with forges and +2 statues and watch her just like Haar senpai~~ Boom, you just beat DB chapters. Remember to strip skills off of the plethora of useless meat sacks DB gives you. Sell Meg's fortune for a fortune.

Edit: as a side note, Ilyana can be decent if you insta-promote her. You're not bringing her to endgame or outside of DB chapters anyways, so go for it.

Edward probably goes either way due to his growths needing to proc in NA NM early on.

7 hours ago, Mister Rogers said:

Edward probably goes either way due to his growths needing to proc in NA NM early on.

Given Zihark is better during the DB chapters and has earth affinity to pair with Nolanz, I end up completely ignoring him. I never bring him to end game and Zihark gets the job done with zero investment.

3 hours ago, Centh said:

Given Zihark is better during the DB chapters and has earth affinity to pair with Nolanz, I end up completely ignoring him. I never bring him to end game and Zihark gets the job done with zero investment.

granted yes, but Edward isn't exactly as easily dismissed as Leo or Meg or even Aran.

54 minutes ago, Mister Rogers said:

granted yes, but Edward isn't exactly as easily dismissed as Leo or Meg or even Aran.

Erm, what do you mean by this? Because at least the former has counter-free chip, and the latter is tanky.

54 minutes ago, Mister Rogers said:

Oh yeah, he's definitely the most redeemable. All my playthroughs are on hardest difficulty, so I generally ignore him unless leveling him is the point, which then goes to what you mentioned earlier. Not getting 1-2 SPD and a STR level up in the first two chapters makes him unusable.

I don't know what the devs were thinking when they made Fiona and Meg :( Actually, a lot of the characters are worthless. Almost all the laguz are instant bench (not even because they're laguz, just awful stats), act 2 exists to recruit Haar, and casters being "meh" in the Radiant series.

Edward generally becomes quite a force to be reckoned with. HOWEVER, on hard mode he suffers the most I think from no weapon triangel advantage to boost his avoidance. So unless one WANTS to use him, one is probably better off focussing more on units like Aran, Nolan or Jill. Than to invest in Edward, (i.e. giving him stat boosters, forging him an Iron Sword, giving him bonus EXP whatever you might do) I generally like using Edward because unlike most myrms he will level Str a lot also I like his carefree kind of character, but there is another myrm in the game who also has a lot str and no investment required......dun,dun,duuuun. Entering.....STEFEN!!!!. Furthermore while Zihark may not have as much Str as a highly trained and leveled Edward or as Stefen. BUT you get him early, is really good with no investment, has a killing edge and will pull his weight throughout the game.

Edited by SavageVolug

Actually Aran is pretty bleh in hard mode with his only average speed base and poor growth. Honestly he suffers even more on hard mode than Edward does. In normal he's great against myrms, but in hard they can already ORKO him with a crit. He barely can take two axe hits and soldiers can even double him, if his speed is stuck.

Heck even Meg would be tied with him - actually better because similar bases for being four levels below him - if she had just one more speed point not to get doubled by 12 speed tigers.

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

Actually Aran is pretty bleh in hard mode with his only average speed base and poor growth. Honestly he suffers even more on hard mode than Edward does. In normal he's great against myrms, but in hard they can already ORKO him with a crit. He barely can take two axe hits and soldiers can even double him, if his speed is stuck.

Heck even Meg would be tied with him - actually better because similar bases for being four levels below him - if she had just one more speed point not to get doubled by 12 speed tigers.

You raise some good points. And yes Aran's bases are rather meh depending on how well levelled the rest of the team is, and if not used the moment you get him Aran can end up getting benched. However especially on Hard mode I found myself relying on Nolan and Aran even more than usual, rotating them out with each other as the tanks. As such by the time you do recruit Meg, he is definatly the better tank of the two. And I generally REALLY need Aran on the Laguz Bandits map. As there are three openings, (well techniquely two but it quickly becomes three) and I need Aran to block up one, Nolan another (not as good def as Aran usually if Aran has been used but Nolan still has enough bulk to get the job done. And on average Aran does Meg's job (being a tank) better than Meg does who despite being an armor unit has a suprisingly difficult time leveling def and str something that armor units are SUPPOSSED to have.

Meg does exact the same as Aran, if you gave her one bexp level to bring her speed to crucial 9. Aran never can take two hits by tigers, even if he should proc +2 HP and +2 def points in 1-3. The tigers have up to 26 attack which means that Aran gets 2RKO'ed. Both get doubled by cats, so also 2RKO'ed. The only one aside of Sothe who's able to take two hits by 26 attack tigers is a HP and defense blessed Nolan.

In part 3 same applies. Aran will get 2RKO'ed by all the tigers as Meg would. Though Meg takes more damage, but might double the majority, if she somehow capped speed. Cats will double Aran, but not Meg. Though he would take less damage for one attack, so both would take similar damage overall. Aran does more damage against cats than Meg because both attack once. If Meg can double tigers, both have a similar output damage. Overall Aran's only slightly better because of doing more damage to cats... and having higher movement of course.