What about Wario Land?

Hecatia

Do you remember the last time when Wario went for treasure hunting? It was like 10 years ago.

Now, I don't hate the WarioWare series because I love to play all of them, but man... I miss the good ol' bashing enemies and walls to get money.

W3a3ifd.png

I, too, miss Wario Land.  Mario Party has never been the same since the second game...

Though really, I think Wario's due to look for funds to help expand his entertainment gig.

50 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

W3a3ifd.png

I, too, miss Wario Land.  Mario Party has never been the same since the second game...

Though really, I think Wario's due to look for funds to help expand his entertainment gig.

Well... Personally, I think Peach Land was better and should be like that instead of Mario Land or Wario Land

He had to convince those suckers all over again to get some cash

26 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Let me save you some time and say there's no Wario Land in Smash Bros.

Oh hold up? They gave him the shoulder charge as a dash attack. Alright!

About time, the fact that they removed it on Sm4sh made me feel angry

I've played WL2, WL4, Shake it, and have WL3 downloaded on my 3DS from when it on sale recently unplayed. Wario World, that simplistic beat 'em up that is somewhat similar to Wario Land in ways, I have as well.

I started with Wario Land 4, only completed it once, on Normal, without all treasure chests obtained. I've played pretty far on Hard, albeit without completing any of the boss battles. The unlockable Super Hard where you always start with 1 heart and time is really crunched to escape sounds nefarious, not for me, but good to know Nintendo is catering to a wide crowd.

Wario World was about the same time as WL4 for me. I never finished the final level due to needing more red crystals and trying to collect all the Sprites for the best possible ending. I had a guide, but it still took some effort to get all the treasures and statue pieces.

Shake It! I completed like everything, except the one Rocket Bucket intensive level, and maybe something else I'm missing. Didn't do all of the challenges, but I did get all the treasures, I had a guide admittedly though. Really fun, and very beautiful aesthetically, I should replay it some day.

Got WL2 for free when Club Nintendo was going away. I like it, but I admittedly restore pointed through every card flipping minigame, they were a bit of a downer. I've done all but the final level from having a completed treasure map.

How worth it is Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land? Just a historical curiosity, or does it hold up? 

Overall, I like Wario Land, fun platforming, leaning towards the puzzling side quite often. The emphasis on collecting treasure and coins is in line with Wario's greed, Nintendo never did poorly with this small franchise. I'd love another, with Captain Syrup again, simply because I like having her around. And Classic Wario > Warioware Wario visually.

Anyone out there get their hands on a Virtual Boy and play that WL?

I actually never played a Wario Land game in its console, Nintendo consoles were shadowed by PS here at these times and were very expensive, so I used to emulate those.

SML3 is actually very fun to play, the transition from Mario to Wario platformers is a nice and smooth game.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Overall, I like Wario Land, fun platforming, leaning towards the puzzling side quite often. The emphasis on collecting treasure and coins is in line with Wario's greed, Nintendo never did poorly with this small franchise. I'd love another, with Captain Syrup again, simply because I like having her around. And Classic Wario > Warioware Wario visually.

Exactly what I think! I always pick classic Wario on smash!

I had the opportunity to play VB Wario Land and it's like SML3, but with a lot of improvements!

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How worth it is Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land? Just a historical curiosity, or does it hold up? 

I've only ever played that one and Shake It, so I can't compare it to much else, but it's definitely worth checking out if you like the series. You can really tell it was a step forward from Mario Land 2, even as a kid. The controls are tight, the power ups are interesting, I don't recall the enemies or levels ever being bullshit, so overall it's a pretty good time. They hide like 20 special treasure chests throughout the game and many levels have hidden exits that lead to secret levels, so there's a bit of exploring to do without being a super collectathon.

WL:SML3 definitely holds up. It was probably the Game Boy game I played and replayed the most; I even maxed out the coin hoard. Also, not to brag, but I could actually cheese the final boss (the genie fighting you on behalf of Captain Syrup) with Jet Wario by boosting at his head and repeating right when he's vulnerable again, literally beating him in 10 seconds flat. And then there's all the fun I had with debug mode...

Here's to more Wario Land titles in the future. *glug glug glug*

"Repeat after me: I'm the bad guy in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, where greed is good, and being bad is good. Eehehehehehehehe! Come and get it on Game Boy, Greedy!"

"Greed will get you everything, even if you have to piledrive your enemy to do so."

24 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

WL:SML3 definitely holds up. It was probably the Game Boy game I played and replayed the most; I even maxed out the coin hoard. Also, not to brag, but I could actually cheese the final boss (the genie fighting you on behalf of Captain Syrup) with Jet Wario by boosting at his head and repeating right when he's vulnerable again, literally beating him in 10 seconds flat. And then there's all the fun I had with debug mode...

Here's to more Wario Land titles in the future. *glug glug glug*

"Repeat after me: I'm the bad guy in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, where greed is good, and being bad is good. Eehehehehehehehe! Come and get it on Game Boy, Greedy!"

"Greed will get you everything, even if you have to piledrive your enemy to do so."

Jet Wario is the best powerup definitely!

How many coins is that? Getting all the treasures gives you the best ending where Wario gets a planet for himself, but there's something beyond that?

4 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

How many coins is that? Getting all the treasures gives you the best ending where Wario gets a planet for himself, but there's something beyond that?

There is none, just bragging rights.

I too miss the Wario Land series, given 2, 3 and 4 (especially 2 though) were a big part of my childhood and have recently replayed the first three (well the first then the third and fourth if you remember the actual second game was that virtual boy one. Which brings me to another idea. If they aren't going to make a fully new one, I'd at least settle for a virtual console release of the virtual boy game, seeing as I hear it was pretty good. I mean, even if it's not new to everyone, it'd be new to most people, myself included.

2 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

I too miss the Wario Land series, given 2, 3 and 4 (especially 2 though) were a big part of my childhood and have recently replayed the first three (well the first then the third and fourth if you remember the actual second game was that virtual boy one. Which brings me to another idea. If they aren't going to make a fully new one, I'd at least settle for a virtual console release of the virtual boy game, seeing as I hear it was pretty good. I mean, even if it's not new to everyone, it'd be new to most people, myself included.

So long as they changed up the color scheme, it’d be great with a port to 3DS.

To black and white please, red and black hurts

I don't know why, but when Samus Returns got announced, I was hoping that they announced a Wario Land VB or Wario Land 2 remake too

1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

To black and white please, red and black hurts

I don't know why, but when Samus Returns got announced, I was hoping that they announced a Wario Land VB or Wario Land 2 remake too

Samus Returns was building upon a good, but flawed game. WL certainly isn’t.

40 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I maxed it at 99,999 coins from normal gameplay, before factoring in the treasures. Though I think you still have to have all the treasures to see the best ending.

Nope, there's nothing beyond the planet ending. It says "Perfect game" after the credits, after all.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

My first wario land was Wario Land 3

Definitely a great entry point, and unusually ambitious for a platform game.... WL3 has heavy puzze elements, and extreme metroidvania syndrome - every level has 4 keys and collecting powerups and opening doors (in other levels) happens constantly. It does give you infinite health with even all bosses except the final boss being notable for knocking you out of there arena with their status effect instead of killing you. I loved this game as a kid. When you do beat it, it DOEs transition to a "time trial" mode, but the presentation of it isn't as well developed as in the later WL4. As far as how good it really is - compared to other puzzle platformers such as mischief makers or klonoa maybe it's core mechanics are simpler, but it does have superier length. Really nothing can compare with it, suprisingly  considering that it's handhelds instead of console. It has the most transformations although in fairness, some of them (invisibility and fat wario) tend to further slow down an already slow-paced game   I loved it as a kid, but don't usually quite have it on my radar when I think of good 2D platformers anymore.

Wario World was my second Wario game.... (ignoring Dr Mario 64) . Personality I think it's a bit of a letdown from Treasure, and a good but not great brawler. For me the combat is naturally the most repetitive part of the game, but I think that it's chief platforming gimmick SNES-esque "3D: rooms that created diffiulty with fixed camera and isometric blocks that aren't always on the plane that you think they are (think Super Mario RPG or the hidden rooms in one of the 3DS mario games) was not really my cup of tea.

Wario Land 4 is my favorite in the series. Having health was a strange transition for me at first but the much greater level (and faster) and the smarter use of wario's "default" non-transformed moves (eg throwing) really makes it the pinnacle of the series. I actually enjoy the very hard mode, because it feels natural considering the low number of stages and being able  to do them one after the other.

I playyed Wario Land Shake It and didn't really like it... it seemed to take a lot from the Yoshi school of thought platformer wise  - Levels are easy to finish but are harder if you want to finish them while doing some goal or other. However, I don't really like it's platforming either because of things like the overuse of the dash launcher pipe, and generally simplified level design. Wario Land 4 might not have gone absolutely nuts with secret rooms and branching paths like 3, but it still had the ocasional one for hiding (music collectiables or Points diamonds) . Even Wario World had an impressivel amount of secrets. Shake It by comparison feels like the "main path alone" game in the series, and honestly I consider it the worst for this reason.

I very recently played Wario Land 2, and I enjoyed it mostly in the context of being a prototype for WL3 - its a lot more in-control than WL3 (which would probbably be exhausintg if you tried to replay it in all honestly) but it had the nice transformation and puzzle focus that I had come to associate with the series. Playing WL4 actually helps to appreciate WL2 becacuse seeing (a faster pace) is actually helpful in enjoying WL2 explicitly for the ways its smaller than WL3. 

Even though I didn't like Shake It , I kind of wish the Wario platform series had the health that (Kirby/Yoshi/Donkey Kong) enjoy, as I feel like it did good work through its run, and I think it could do well in either another transformation/puzzle game or in the time-trial oriented WL4 style even in modern day. 

I've only played Wario Land and Shake it, and I think both are great games. Shake It gets a litttttle too indulgent asking you to do motion controls but otherwise is competently designed with speedrunable levels since you need to book it back to the start once you reach the end. I'm also in love with Wario World which is basically a 3D Wario Land game. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought WL: SML3. At first I died a good bit, getting a game over actually, and the game seemed hard. But then I got used to it and the rest of the game was a short breeze, not a joke, but certainly in my abilities to complete most levels in single try or a couple of them at most. Some treasures and the hidden exits were well placed, but not always, and I was disappointed by how the later worlds lack any secret exits. One thing that is strange, is the ending scene requirements, you need 10000+ coins to get anything other than the birdhouse, and 99999 to get the best ending scene, which is utterly absurd when I had like 5000 at most when I had finished all but the last level. 

And with that, I realize I have all four portable WLs on my 3DS, cool!