Which class would you like for the Three Houses Jeigan archetype?

Which class should the Three Houses Jeigan be?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which class should the Three Houses Jeigan be?

• Great Lord
    • Paladin
    • Great Knight
    • General
    • Hero
    • Bow Knight
    • Swordmaster
    • Rogue/Assassin
    • Trickster
    • Warrior
    • Berserker
    • Sniper
    • Falcon Knight
    • Wyvern Lord
    • Sage/Sorceror
    • Dark Knight
    • Bishop
    • Valkyrie
    • Dancer
    • Manakete/Dragon/Beast
    • Other (Explain)

14 hours ago, Landmaster said:

I use Great Knights far more than Paladins since they have more Weapon options~

I gotta say, unless its a promoted class with high weapon ranks in all its weapons I never found multiple weapon types on a single class particularly helpful myself since it tends to be easier to just stick to a single weapon type, especially since the weapon levels on promotion for the new weapon types are so much lower then the ones ive already been having the unit use. Probably just the way I play the game though since its one of the things people tend to prefer in a unit...

anyways, for a jegan im hoping for a healer type one like a bishop or a new healer class, since it would really help emphasis the support role of a jegan and help keep the useful much longer for like touch and go healing or something.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/19/2018 at 3:27 AM, NobodiePichu said:

I gotta say, unless its a promoted class with high weapon ranks in all its weapons I never found multiple weapon types on a single class particularly helpful myself since it tends to be easier to just stick to a single weapon type, especially since the weapon levels on promotion for the new weapon types are so much lower then the ones ive already been having the unit use. Probably just the way I play the game though since its one of the things people tend to prefer in a unit...

anyways, for a jegan im hoping for a healer type one like a bishop or a new healer class, since it would really help emphasis the support role of a jegan and help keep the useful much longer for like touch and go healing or something.

Yeah, it generally depends on the game. Like for Awakening, since you can work up to A in any Weapon, I find Great Knights more useful there, but I can see how one might prefer units that can use a single weapon if it can get that one weapon to a higher rank~

On 8/19/2018 at 2:27 AM, NobodiePichu said:

I dunno - I say that depends on the game. Most FE games allowed you to S rank anything, with Fates and Radiant Dawn being the only exceptions. (In the former, S rank was restricted to one specific class for each weapon (two in the case of swords and tomes), but the classes that could get to S rank didn't really feel like they were all that good for the most part, and the S rank weapons themselves were Awesome But Impractical. In the latter, third tier classes can only attain the highest rank - that being SS - in their main weapon, with the exception of certain classes.)

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno - I say that depends on the game. Most FE games allowed you to S rank anything, with Fates and Radiant Dawn being the only exceptions. (In the former, S rank was restricted to one specific class for each weapon (two in the case of swords and tomes), but the classes that could get to S rank didn't really feel like they were all that good for the most part, and the S rank weapons themselves were Awesome But Impractical. In the latter, third tier classes can only attain the highest rank - that being SS - in their main weapon, with the exception of certain classes.)

its not so much that persay, but mostly that i find it far more expedient to keep a character to a single weapon in most fire emblem games unless that character already has high ranks in all of their weapons. It does vary per game I'll agree, but on the whole getting an e rank in swords and axes isn't particularly useful in the late game when I can just keep that character using lances and bring along a dedicated sword and dedicated axe user instead who can use high level weapons off the bat without babying and thus do their jobs much better. sure, weapon scrolls can help mitigate this a bit and on the whole its not a huge issue, its just always been a bugbear of mine. Yeah lyn, I could teach you to use bows, ooor I can keep you to swords which your much better with at this point anyways and send my mage and knight to deal with those wyverns well you go kill those mages in the other direction.

Or maybe its just because of the way i play, idk...

I picked sorcerer. It seems like there's a school the beginning of the game takes place in, so it would be cool to see a sorcerer as a teacher.

Interesting, the classic Paladin is still the most voted class, but the second most voted is the Avatar, wich truly would be inovative for the series.

But how would it work? Would we just star the game in an overpowered class or maybe by choosing a tier-2 one out of them all (i don't see them doing that again, sadly)? 

The only ways i can see them doing that is either they bring back 3° tier classes (Echoes did that a little, kinda) and we start out as a exclusive 2-tier one or they make the Avatar class like the Dancer/Singer/Manakete of yore. I think this is possible even tought i don't like the concept of having classes that don't evolve in any way. 

Edited by RexBolt

5 hours ago, RexBolt said:

Interesting, the classic Paladin is still the most voted class, but the second most voted is the Avatar, wich truly would be inovative for the series.

But how would it work? Would we just star the game in an overpowered class or maybe by choosing a tier-2 one out of them all (i don't see them doing that again, sadly)? 

The only ways i can see them doing that is either they bring back 3° tier classes (Echoes did that a little, kinda) and we start out as a exclusive 2-tier one or they make the Avatar class like the Dancer/Singer/Manakete of yore. I think this is possible even tought i don't like the concept of having classes that don't evolve in any way. 

I see two implementations of the Avatar Jeigan.

The first is straitforward; the avatar would be exceptionally strong early game while they teach the main character, but would not scale exceptionally well. They'd still have to be viable or even good late game, but be outclassed by the lords they tutored. Seth or Titania are pretty good standards.

The second is more complex. The avatar could have an exceptionally strong early game prf weapon with bonus stats that bring the avatar above everyone else at that point. They would have standard class growths and bases, allowing them to scale their stats just like everyone else, but their weapon would not be up to par with late game prf weapons, capping their potential compared to main lords.

As for voting results, I'm not surprised. Any traditionalist (or just someone who appreciates the value of cavalry) is going to vote Paladin or Great Knight. Everyone else has to split their votes among many options. So while the Paladin is the frontrunner, a majority do nonetheless seem to want something other than a Paladin. The real surprise to me was how popular Bow Knight, Bishop, and Dancer were.

Edited by Etheus

8 hours ago, Etheus said:

As for voting results, I'm not surprised. Any traditionalist (or just someone who appreciates the value of cavalry) is going to vote Paladin or Great Knight. Everyone else has to split their votes among many options. So while the Paladin is the frontrunner, a majority do nonetheless seem to want something other than a Paladin. The real surprise to me was how popular Bow Knight, Bishop, and Dancer were.

I don't know about bow knight, but I think the reason for bishop and dancer's popularity is so that the Jeigan can still provide a useful role outside of damage-sponge (healing for bishop, dancing for dancer) without the risk of the Jeigan killing enemy units you wanted your other units to kill and getting the exp as a result. 

Plus, bishop seems to fit what we know about the game so far with the fact that there's the Church of Seiros and all that. 

It seems that sage and hero were just as popular as bow knight and bishop. 

A Bishop would be the 2nd best to Paladin/Great Knight imo a strong unit that's like an emergency button that can heal to prevent wasting EXP but helping other units being a heal tank for early game.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

On 23/8/2018 at 10:18 AM, DisobeyedCargo said:

I think an avatar Jeigan would be really cool. Would give the player some sort of role without overshadowing the main lords.

That's actually a really interesting way to try and make the avatar characters less intrusive!

Aside from that though, I always thought Paladins were the best option for a Jagen for the weapon triangle control and the horse...mainly the horse.
It allows you to do so many useful things early on like rescuing the lord or any unit that's in danger and making great use of canto, or just allowing you to use the high movement to  be wherever you need them to. 

I also thought of a flier for a Jagen but that may be a bit too much...

But Fe4 female paladins sound like very interesting picks for a Jagen, with the staves and all.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:54 AM, Phas21 said:

That's actually a really interesting way to try and make the avatar characters less intrusive!

Aside from that though, I always thought Paladins were the best option for a Jagen for the weapon triangle control and the horse...mainly the horse.
It allows you to do so many useful things early on like rescuing the lord or any unit that's in danger and making great use of canto, or just allowing you to use the high movement to  be wherever you need them to. 

I also thought of a flier for a Jagen but that may be a bit too much...

But Fe4 female paladins sound like very interesting picks for a Jagen, with the staves and all.

I am curious as to why a Falcon Knight Jeigan would be too much. Everything that applies to Paladins also applies to them, except with lower def, higher res, and vulnerability to arrows. I think a flying Jeigan would be mechanically interesting.

Honestly. I am thinking the suspected Avatar is the Jeigan for this game, and if thats the case the class is very likely on the player to choose with whatever base class Byleth will be starting out. Which I like the idea, its a good way to fit in an avatar, from both a narrative standpoint and a gameplay standpoint.

If thats not the case though, I would like to see maybe a mage Jeigan for once? We dont see many of those, if at all. Could be really neat to see. Also wouldnt mind another rogue Jeigan, though I am a tad fearful for the state of rogues and dancers as well in 3H with its seeming focus on a military/army aesthetic. I cant see a squad of dancers being a thing, neither a group of rogues just stealing shit at random.

19 hours ago, Tolvir said:

If thats not the case though, I would like to see maybe a mage Jeigan for once? We dont see many of those, if at all. Could be really neat to see. Also wouldnt mind another rogue Jeigan, though I am a tad fearful for the state of rogues and dancers as well in 3H with its seeming focus on a military/army aesthetic. I cant see a squad of dancers being a thing, neither a group of rogues just stealing shit at random.

I understand your concerns about dancers and rogues, but there are a few ways they can handle that. The dancer or bard could be in the middle of a squad of soldiers dedicated to keeping them safe so they can roam the battlefield more freely. And rogues, if treated as spies, could move in smaller groups of two or three. Or the group portion could only apply to main Lords or soldier types and dancers and rogues move alone on the battlefield. Hopefully, we can get some more information soon.

On 10/09/2018 at 2:02 PM, Tolvir said:

Honestly. I am thinking the suspected Avatar is the Jeigan for this game, and if thats the case the class is very likely on the player to choose with whatever base class Byleth will be starting out. Which I like the idea, its a good way to fit in an avatar, from both a narrative standpoint and a gameplay standpoint.

I agree wich is why i think they will use Fates Outlaw as the thieves of the game. Makes a lot of sense for me, instead of a group of shady people with knives attacking a military unit, you have them shooting arrows from the bushes. Plus less sword units and more bow users are always good.

Also, some people that analysed the trailer noted 3 bow units with portraits there. 3 archers on the go seems unlikely.

None. The archetype fits a niche playstyle, and if I wanted to level up my weaker units, I'd just use them.

On a more serious note, I voted Bishop. Despite not being the biggest fan of the Jeigan archetype, I'd rather have them provide a useful non-combat function than have them be cannon fodder benched when the other units catch up. It'd also be nice to have a back-up healer in case one dies in an ironman run and/or if you want to bring someone more reliable/durable/expandable for a certain map.

I heavily disagree with the Avatar being a Jeigan, though. It's an archetype that does not fit every playstyle, and I doubt that finding out that "your character"  has bad growths and will slowly fall behind the rest of the army would be a surprise most players would be fine with. I'm not asking for the avatars to be as game-breaking as they were in the past, but I don't think going in the opposite direction would be the way to go.

What I'd truly like, though, is for the Jeigan unit to be optional. And not in the "then just don't use them" way. I mean that you could have a decision about whether you want to bring along the Jeigan, a balanced-to-a-fault unit, or maybe a trainee for the rest of the adventure. That way, people who get a use out of this archetype can decide to bring them along, while those who don't can choose an alternative.

On 2/9/2018 at 11:55 PM, Etheus said:

I am curious as to why a Falcon Knight Jeigan would be too much. Everything that applies to Paladins also applies to them, except with lower def, higher res, and vulnerability to arrows. I think a flying Jeigan would be mechanically interesting.

Oh that's because I thought being able to fly would give Jagens way too much power.

Maybe it's just my impression and could be a nice way to keep all that's good about Paladins and change the Jagen class for once, though

So yeah.

Edited by Daes388
Grammar

On 9/12/2018 at 9:13 PM, Hawkwing said:

I heavily disagree with the Avatar being a Jeigan, though. It's an archetype that does not fit every playstyle, and I doubt that finding out that "your character"  has bad growths and will slowly fall behind the rest of the army would be a surprise most players would be fine with. I'm not asking for the avatars to be as game-breaking as they were in the past, but I don't think going in the opposite direction would be the way to go.

I wasn't thinking of a Jeigan that would quickly get benched (ie: a Gunter). If the Avatar were to be a Jeigan, they would have to be on the upper end of the power scale - relevant for the entire game. Something closer to Seth or Titania would be an ideal balance point for a Jeigan Avatar. 

to be honest, it's quite rare to see something different from a Paladin, if we consider all previous FE titles.

however, after what was shown so far gameplay-wise, i'm not even sure if there will be a Jeigan type of unit at all in the game, because the battle system looks a lot like units clashes from Advance Wars. in other words, it's "troops vs troops" rather than "character vs character" like it used to be.

that's by no means a bad thing, i'm always up to check different things once in a while, but that doesn't really leave much space to other units with the job of protecting/helping the main characters, at least from my perspective.

at this point, i believe that maybe Byleth will handle the role of teacher when visiting his allies in the castle. that way he could help other people to learn battle tactics and grow even if he won't protect them directly on the battlefield as a single unit.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for Avatar Jeigan, this idea does sound not too bad. If the Avatar is a Jeigan a Setup which is more about surviving and has other means to level up, but a bit slower I would not mind. The game should point out that it the avatar should not fight directly on the front line. I also think it would make sense with the new mechanics they introduce. I mean one with an important role as leading the army should be a bit more protected. 

In general I would hope that they go this way at least for one time. It would also open up some new possibilities like an avatar who has already experienced a great deal. 

• 3 weeks later...

Considering what we've seen in the trailer, it would make a lot of sense that Byleth is the Jaigen archetype of this FE game. Not sure what class he's going to be (apart from the fact that he wields swords in the trailer... many classes use swords). He might be a new class, "Teacher" or "Instructor", which would fit in well with the princely military academy theory, where Byleth trains all three main lords (explaining their similar outfits). It could be a tier 2 class. I do hope, however, that it will be a 3 tier game like RD, so Byleth remains usable in endgame, like Sothe and, arguably, Titania in PoR (with some reset-levelling and RNG abuse)

That's a lot of "ifs", but I think it makes sense. Whether Byleth is a customisable character still remains to be seen, and considering the backlash they got on previous MU and avatar type characters, I'm not sure that's the way they're going to go. Can't wait to learn more aout it!