Which class would you like for the Three Houses Jeigan archetype?

Which class should the Three Houses Jeigan be?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which class should the Three Houses Jeigan be?

• Great Lord
    • Paladin
    • Great Knight
    • General
    • Hero
    • Bow Knight
    • Swordmaster
    • Rogue/Assassin
    • Trickster
    • Warrior
    • Berserker
    • Sniper
    • Falcon Knight
    • Wyvern Lord
    • Sage/Sorceror
    • Dark Knight
    • Bishop
    • Valkyrie
    • Dancer
    • Manakete/Dragon/Beast
    • Other (Explain)

Classically, every Fire Emblem (with Gaiden/SoV being the only exception that comes to mind) has at least one Jeigan type character, typically a Paladin with high base stats and (optionally) low growth rates who exists as an early game pre-promote to make early/midgame chapters easier. Typically, this is a Paladin, but there are exceptions, such as Sothe in Radiant Dawn. 

Which class would you like to see as the Jeigan in Three Houses?

Personally, I want another Rogue/Assassin Jeigan like Sothe. I really liked his evasion-style tanking and ability to steal items from enemies. It made the level design of early Radiant Dawn interesting, but I feel that Radiant Dawn's poor overall map design and bad availability prevented Sothe from really shining in the way he should have (even if clearing the early game without him is essentially impossible.)

I also really like the idea of the avatar being a Jeigan, which would make them crucial to the development of the main lords without overshadowing them late game when the lords are supposed to come into their own.

Similarly, a dancer Jeigan also sounds highly appealing, as a dancer with high bases and low growths could be relevant for the entire game without being overpowered.

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Axe lover in me wants to see a Warrior or Berserker Jagen character, but chances are it's going to be another Great Knight, at least if Awakening and Fates are anything to go by.  Then again, Frederick and Gunter were really pushed as Axe users in Heroes even though Axes weren't their primary weapons in their original games, so maybe we might see a primarily Axe-wielding Great Knight Jagen after all.

Alternatively, a healer Jagen could be interesting to see.  Like an old Bishop who prefers healing to fighting.

3 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I would love to see a healer Jagen. Not only would that make them useful throughout the entire game, I also love healers so please.

Agreed. Stats on a healer don't really matter, so no one can complain about his potentially atrocious growth rates, as they are really only there to heal and not for combat purposes. Though I think he should be given low level (Light) magic as well, so he can at least defend himself. I think this would strike a nice balance for a Jeigan that is useful throughout the entire game and doesn't make any other unit superfluous simply by existing (as Titania, Marcus, Seth and others so infamously do).

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Agreed. Stats on a healer don't really matter, so no one can complain about his potentially atrocious growth rates, as they are really only there to heal and not for combat purposes. Though I think he should be given low level (Light) magic as well, so he can at least defend himself. I think this would strike a nice balance for a Jeigan that is useful throughout the entire game and doesn't make any other unit superfluous simply by existing (as Titania, Marcus, Seth and others so infamously do).

You won't believe how many times Titania got the most kills in playthroughs of PoR when I didn't even intend to.

1 minute ago, Michelaar said:

You won't believe how many times Titania got the most kills in playthroughs of PoR when I didn't even intend to.

Same here, actually. Even when she's just supposed to be a meat shield, she still gets kills regularly, so I don't even need to touch Oscar or Kieran, because they aren't anywhere near as good as she is (though both of them are still good units, don't get me wrong).

Adding on to the healer Jeigan point: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from a few fan games perhaps, I don't think we ever had a magic-based Jeigan before. Unless of course you count Nomah as one, though he's more of a Gotoh, I'd say.

53 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I would love to see a healer Jagen. Not only would that make them useful throughout the entire game, I also love healers so please.

Interesting, but one has to consider the design of the overall game. Jeigans are meat shields for the early game, so would this theoretical game have a lot of magic enemies early on or would we be dealing with a Bishop/Valkyrie Jeigan that has abnormally high evasion and/or base defense for their class?

(Or is this theoretical game easy enough early on for a Jeigan meatshield to be entirely unnecessary).

Edited by Etheus

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Interesting, but one has to consider the design of the overall game. Jeigans are meat shields for the early game, so would this theoretical game have a lot of magic enemies early on or would we be dealing with a Bishop/Valkyrie Jeigan that has abnormally high evasion and/or base defense for their class?

Maybe this could be the first game that doesn't require a meat shield for the first few chapters or the Jeigan could have some way of easily healing himself aside from Vulneraries like Live to Serve, Renewal or a new skill that restores some HP every time he gets hit or something. It would be more of a utility Jeigan, really, so his meat shield capabilities would drop off fairly quickly anyway.
Though if we factor in Shields, they could always just have him start with one that brings his defence to pretty tanky levels for the earlygame.

18 minutes ago, Etheus said:

(Or is this theoretical game easy enough early on for a Jeigan meatshield to be entirely unnecessary).

As long as Azama exists tanky healers are fine with me.

24 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

As long as Azama exists tanky healers are fine with me.

Interesting. To that end, would this healer be a traditional light magic wielding bishop, a martial healer like Azama's great master class, a War Cleric like Libra, or a more traditional fantasy Paladin?

Edited by Etheus

I  would like a Berserker Jeigan as a way to breath some new life into the archtype. Rather then a veteran knight the Berserker Jeigan could be a former bandit who reformed after being arrested and pardoned by the king. We already know Edgelord wields an axe so an axe wielding Jeigan seems pretty likely. 

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Interesting. To that end, would this healer be a traditional light magic wielding bishop, a martial healer like Azama's great master class, a War Cleric like Libra, or a more traditional fantasy Paladin?

Hmm, I think i'd like a light magic wielding Bishop the most, but I would be fine with all of them.

27 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I  would like a Berserker Jeigan as a way to breath some new life into the archtype. Rather then a veteran knight the Berserker Jeigan could be a former bandit who reformed after being arrested and pardoned by the king. We already know Edgelord wields an axe so an axe wielding Jeigan seems pretty likely. 

I'm wanting almost the same thing, but instead voted for a Hero Jeigan, so there's even more paralels with Edelgard also using Axes and Swords.

4 hours ago, Michelaar said:

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Technically speaking, Felicia and Jakob are Healer Jagens.

5 hours ago, Michelaar said:

There is a reason why "All Hail Critania" became a thing.

Considering it seems there are going to be 3 lords, I would hope Axe Lady gets a Lance Knight, Bow man gets a General, and Spear guy gets a Swordsmaster or a mage.

Probably either a Paladin or Great Knight. Most Jeigans have been either - in fact, the only ones I can think of that weren't are Eyvel and Dagdar in FE5, Oswin in FE7 and Sothe in FE10.

But my personal vote is for Bow Knight: keeps the mounted theme and access to ranged weapons without access to Javelins and Hand Axes  which tend to be the best ones because they're 1-2 range; that means, in the aggregate, Enemy Phase becomes much more tactically involving than "equip Marcus with a Javelin and call it a day." 

There are plenty of great options for a jeigan's class, each of which can offer something unique for the gameplay, as others have mentioned. Early but powerful healers and bow knights would be interesting, and Falcon Knights would also be neat because they would fly without having a Wyvern's powerful attack and defense. Berserker would be amazing simply due to my personal favoritism. However, I think General makes the most sense, gameplay-wise, for a Jeigan.

A general would obviously have a lot of defense with which to tank enemies.

However, because they have low speed, they will also be able to damage enemies without always killing them, since they won't be doubling that often. This is good news for your other units, who can pick off these wounded scraps.

Lastly, Generals have fairly low movement. What this does is it makes it so that taking advantage of their power also means clearing the map more slowly. Expediency would become a good reason to not use the Jeigan as much, while most Jeigans have very high move and are thus even more obviously good for quick clears.

5 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Hmm, I think i'd like a light magic wielding Bishop the most, but I would be fine with all of them.

I had a thought. Perhaps it could be a Bishop with an overpowered personal skill, which significantly buffs the ability of everyone else to tank early game enemies. Like Elise's passive, but even moreso. In addition, his attack stat would be high enough to weaken, but not kill a majority of enemies, letting allies get off easy kills. 

Edited by Etheus

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

I had a thought. Perhaps it could be a Bishop with an overpowered personal skill, which significantly buffs the ability of everyone else to tank early game enemies. Like Elise's passive, but even moreso. In addition, his attack stat would be high enough to weaken, but not kill a majority of enemies, letting allies get off easy kills. 

I think that's a great idea actually. I want to see this, please.

I would love to see a Wyvern Lord as the Jeigan character. Always able to help allies quickly and they can dish out high damage as well as tank hits. Their weakness to bows and magic(generally) means that you need to be more careful while playing them. It most likely won't happen but the thought makes me hyped.

I voted Berserker because I really like the Berserker class, and would love to see this Captain Fargus-like Jaigen character someday. HOWEVER, that is sadly very unlikely so here are some notable other class types, Great Knight (FE4 or 5 version meaning it's a promotion of the AXE CAVALIER NOT AN ARMOR UNIT), Wyvern lord (this would be really cool honestly) Master Knight (mounted class from FE4 capable of wielding all weapon types and most forms of magic) I really like the idea of a Jaigen being a Master Knight specifically, Warrior (we sort of had this with Nolan, would like to see this idea done again), Hero (hey, Heroe class will ALWAYS have a special spot for me). A beast shifting Jaigen could be VERY intriguing especially if the Laguz method was used, and if he was like Caineghas, Tibarn or Giffca or someone like that.

1 hour ago, SavageVolug said:

I voted Berserker because I really like the Berserker class, and would love to see this Captain Fargus-like Jaigen character someday. HOWEVER, that is sadly very unlikely so here are some notable other class types, Great Knight (FE4 or 5 version meaning it's a promotion of the AXE CAVALIER NOT AN ARMOR UNIT), Wyvern lord (this would be really cool honestly) Master Knight (mounted class from FE4 capable of wielding all weapon types and most forms of magic) I really like the idea of a Jaigen being a Master Knight specifically, Warrior (we sort of had this with Nolan, would like to see this idea done again), Hero (hey, Heroe class will ALWAYS have a special spot for me). A beast shifting Jaigen could be VERY intriguing especially if the Laguz method was used, and if he was like Caineghas, Tibarn or Giffca or someone like that.

Laguz-like Jaigen is very interesting indeed. If he has a very high defense and avoid even untransformed he can be a very effective wall without stealing kills, for that purpose you also could make him start a 0 or another low-level in the transformation bar, so there's another reason that he get's outclassed later on besides stat growths.

14 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Laguz-like Jaigen is very interesting indeed. If he has a very high defense and avoid even untransformed he can be a very effective wall without stealing kills, for that purpose you also could make him start a 0 or another low-level in the transformation bar, so there's another reason that he get's outclassed later on besides stat growths.

I think that Volug could technically be counted as a Laguz Jeigan. He comes in significantly stronger than most of Micaiah's team, is always transformed, is great as a meatshield, and grows terribly because of his reduced xp gains.