FE7 Tips. For my brother.

Hanes

My brother got on Serenesforest without beating any FE yet and he wants to do a "Is Lyn good experiment" (He steals all my ideas) and also picked the dumbest name ever but to my happiness he is a new member, however he won't pester me until I create this topic, I dont even think this is banned in the rules but after this case it should be though.(Topics that are meant to transform people from new member to Members)  Please post your tips for my brother to see them because he is a scrub and for him to comment along and become a Member.

play fe8 instead its better lol i mean fe7 sure.

like just general gameplay tips? ok.

1. dont be afraid to use marcus alot, he never "falls off" so to speak. he has insane bases, low- but acceptable growths and pretty much perfect availability.

2. don't promote at level 20, the extra levels arent worth the wait for promo bonuses. seriously, more move and instant stats make a massive difference in overall contribution throughout the whole game. plus, combat doesn't have you comparing all the possible instances that this one unit could be, it compares stats to the enemy, meaning that as long as you beat the enemy, the extra levels are irrelevant. and in this case, fe7 is not a hard game at all. the enemies are super weak and they don't get that much stronger throughout the game.

3. don't touch either bartre or dorcas. they both suck.

4. seriously, use a wiki for information. most fire emblem games are not particularly forgiving to blind play, so at least get a wiki up at the start of most maps.

5. BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF FLIGHT! there are units in fire emblem on pegasi and mf-ing DRAGONS so some characters can fly over terrain and just kill the enemy without any restrictions

6. semi related to the former, super effective weapons only double might. eg an iron bow has 6 might, attacking a flier, which it is effective against, now has 12 might. if you understand how damage works in this game, you would know that is not actually that much extra damage, by the weapon anyways, so you don't need to be that careful around enemy archers when using a flier.

and thats all i'd like to say for now. good luck nino-bro.

1. Pre-promotes are worth using (unless you're called Karla or Wallace)

2. Bases>Growths

3. Remember to level up your lords consistently 

4. Remember to have thieves use torches in FOW maps

5. Remember to use Raven

6. Try not to arena-abuse

7. Unless you find ocean seal, don't use Dart

8. Remember to have a few fliers and mounted units on your team

Well, let's see:

1. Let him use whatever units he wants to use. Do tell him to not focus on making one or very few characters strong, it could make the game difficult for him.

2. He should manage money well, and sell items he deems useless. That way he won't overstock on iron weapons or something and possibly have enough money to buy from the secret shop.

3. He should train all three lords, considering all three are forced to be deployed in some chapters.

...That's all I've got.

Righto, here goes.

First off, use whoever turns out decently. You're finding that your Rebecca does well? Keep her on. Erk got screwed and hasn't gained Mag in seven levels? Drop him if there's someone better.

When you get to the desert chapter (there is only one), use a flier to rescue the green person and then use the map on the main site to get all the items. Every item hidden on the desert map is extremely worth getting except possibly the Eclipse tome.

Big tip: The vast majority of bosses do not move, and those that do only move when they can move to attack you within that turn. 

Don't feel obligated to use certain units (like the lords) but at the same time, its fine to use a character who are normally decent but were RNG blessed.

Also, don't try to turn your thieves into combat units, almost never goes well.

Edited by Jerry Kuma

• 3 weeks later...

This has been noted previously, but effective weapons are pretty bad in fe7 (x2 rather than x3). In terms of unit choice, for ENM, most units can be made good with enough kills, but I'd definitely recommend using Marcus at the very least, and then selecting others based on who gets RNG blessed. What I would note as essential would be finding a recruitment guide: missing out on a character simply because you didn't know who to talk to them with/didn't know they were recruitable is a big pain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 2:26 PM, (s)ad touch said:

3. don't touch either bartre or dorcas. they both suck.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree on that front, especially regarding Bartre. As long as he's not RNG screwed in Speed, he's actually pretty good.

As for my own tips, I have my own mini-list of sorts.

1.Experiment-Don't be reluctant to use two units of the same class. It allows you to raise both, and bench one, or both, depending on who the RNG favors.

2.Don't use Nino-This might sound scandalous given who created this post, but for a first timer I wouldn't recommend using an Est. Not that Nino's bad by any means, but raising her is difficult and might get overwhelming. 

3. Just have fun!  

2 hours ago, MageKillerMudkip said:

2.Don't use Nino-This might sound scandalous given who created this post, but for a first timer I wouldn't recommend using an Est. Not that Nino's bad by any means, but raising her is difficult and might get overwhelming

The bolded is one of the reasons why Nino is a bad unit, though.

Edited by Just call me AL

22 hours ago, MageKillerMudkip said:

'm sorry, I have to disagree on that front, especially regarding Bartre. As long as he's not RNG screwed in Speed, he's actually pretty good.

what the hell, bartre has 3 base speed, you can't just say "oh you have to get lucky then he's good" because that makes arguing about viability completely meaningless, as, if you get lucky, anyone is potentially perfect stat wise, so for the sake of argument, one must stick to Bartre's average stats. 

Oh and by the way, for the sake of unit comparison, i'll use HHM as a basis, even though this is for a first timer.

So bartre starts out with 3 base speed, and averaged reaches 10 speed at lvl 20 before promotion. this is not very good, especially when one considers that there are clearly better units that can double, and therefore one-round the enemy. this is an obvious flaw with his combat. next, his class is poor, and does not allow for weapon triangle control in the slightest, nor mounted mobility, nor does he have a particularly good promotion bonus, nor a good secondary weapon type either. but of course, the elephant in the room is bartres atrocious base speed, and otherwise bad combat.

now, what enemies double base, or even level 6 bartre? anyone with 8 speed or higher, which is not that hard to reach, even for FE7 enemies, some steel sword cavs double and one round base level bartre if i remember correctly, though it has been a while, so don't quote me on that, but he still has awful durability, thanks to his awful speed and bad defense, meaning he has very little to contribute at all in any situation with even a single enemy blocking his way. 

and even if one were to take him to the arena to get him up to a respectable level of combat, why shouldn't EVERYONE just do that then again making comparisons meaningless? 

so that is a short list of reasons why bartre is bloody terrible, and effectively indefensibly so, and dorcas is slightly better, but still stuck in a rut combat wise, mostly because his base speed is better.

edit; yeah sorry i know this is off topic, but dammit i'm heavily opinionated! so yeah this isn't an attack on the original poster of the remark of bartre's defense

@MageKillerMudkip so sorry 'bout that, just think that your, well, wrong about bartre, but of course, this is not of malicious intent, and you should still use bartre if you want and all, but whatever

Edited by (s)ad touch