Are You A Horribly Written Character?

Randoman

So theoretically, if your real life story were made into a book or TV series (or whatever) where you were the main character, do you think the majority of people would consider you to be a horribly written character?

For me personally, people would probably consider me to be horribly written, if I'm being honest. I mean, with how much I've been working to improve myself personality-wise, most people would probably consider me to be a Gary Stu, even if my skills and leadership and such are only in the "average to slightly above average" range. In regards to people worshipping me like a Gary Stu, I guess my close friends and family have a general positive opinion of me, and I guess strangers from work and such warm up to me at an "average to slightly above average" rate. I personally don't think it's to Gary Stu levels, but I feel like most people would argue otherwise.

To Any Mods reading this, please do not move this to Far From the Forest. I actually want serious answers to this question, since criticism towards Mary Sues and Gary Stus seem really common on SF, along with characters being horribly written.

I think it'd take some madman scientist to write me up, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a "good" character. Complex doesn't always mean good.

I also disagree with what you say. You assume people would think of your character as a "Gary Stu", but that's assuming you leave the actual character development in the off-stage.

Edited by Junkhead

Yes, no question asked

28 minutes ago, Randoman said:

In regards to people worshipping me like a Gary Stu, I guess my close friends and family have a general positive opinion of me, and I guess strangers from work and such warm up to me at an "average to slightly above average" rate. I personally don't think it's to Gary Stu levels, but I feel like most people would argue otherwise.

I would argue that just means you have a lot of people shilling you. Mary Sue/Gary Stu lost it's value as criticism

I feel that i wouldn't be a horribly-written character.....but i'd probably be labeled as a boring character and also a bad one because i tend to make dumb decisions (for some reason, people just hate it when a character makes illogical decisions and tend to act like a smart character=well-written while a dumb character=badly-written when it's really not). People may also consider my optimistic outlook on life as "boring" because "huehue, dark and mature stories and characters are so much more interesting" (i know not everyone's like that but it can't be denied that the notion that stories and characters have to be dark and serious in order to be well-written exist).

That said, people may find me likable simply because of my optimistic nature. Also, the fact that i'm a very good friend and how specific my knowledge can be about certain things. Like, i'm pretty shit when it comes to math and stuff but if someone asks me to help them get into a certain series that i love, i could probably whip up like a 200-page essay about why they should get into it (exaggeration but you get the point) and if i were a character, some might find that entertaining.

Edited by Armagon

I mean, I hate myself. So I'd say yes, but people tend to like those characters.

Edited by Slumber

Everyone's flawed.  That's what makes characters human.  Including you, TC.  Hence the lock - if you can't be honest about those flaws, I don't think anyone else should, either.