Now They're Just Being Plain Cruel To Waluigi

Randoman

I've always been quite curious as to why Waluigi never takes a major role in the WarioWare games, or any Wario spin-off games for that matter. Well, I can definitely understand the Wario spinoffs that were made before the year 2000, since Waluigi didn't exist yet.

Waluigi wasn't even created by Nintendo, but by someone at Camelot for Mario Tennis. It seems to me that they only reluctantly bring him back for the sports games and Mario Kart

7 minutes ago, Johann said:

Waluigi wasn't even created by Nintendo, but by someone at Camelot for Mario Tennis. It seems to me that they only reluctantly bring him back for the sports games and Mario Kart

...That would explain a lot.

2 hours ago, Johann said:

Waluigi wasn't even created by Nintendo, but by someone at Camelot for Mario Tennis.

I'll never understand how copyright works. Unless Camelot is still own by Nintendo

1 hour ago, Zangetsu said:

I'll never understand how copyright works. Unless Camelot is still own by Nintendo

I think they're a Sega company, so 3rd party. It's likely that the contract they had worked out included something that assured Nintendo the rights to any characters created for the game. Perhaps a lesson they learned after Super Mario RPG, which was made by Square Enix (back when it was just Square), who own the rights to the original characters from that game (including Boshi, who was the "bad" Yoshi).

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

...That would explain a lot.

Holy hell, that really does.

2 hours ago, Truebladee said:

I think that people will get too high expectations if Waluigi got his own game.

And what would it be? A mature game?

It'd be a game about Waluigi living in a rundown apartment, pursuing a potential girlfriend (through a classic dating sim system) in the afternoon during his lunch break from a shitty 9-5 office job that often leaves him with a sense of existential dread wondering what he's even doing with his worthless life.  Then when he'd get home, he'd have to worry about the terrible infrastructure of his apartment, leading to the player engaging in various maintenance-oriented mini-games to keep the pipes from leaking and ruining that spiffy new hardwood floor he recently installed.  Don't forget to turn off the water to the bathroom.

So yes, it'd be a mature game.  Or it'd be like one of the Tingle games, I guess.  Complete with a Waluigi "gasm" sound to match that of Tingle's.

I don't quite get why people are so heavily bonded to Waluigi, or Daisy, nothing against these characters, they just aren't really bonded to me. Daisy was invented for a lone Game Boy game (and there is no reason Peach couldn't have replaced her), Waruiji was invented for Tennis, no reason to necessarily ever expect much of them if Nintendo has ignored them for so long.

By the same token, while Chrono Trigger is considered an all-time classic with a classic 16-bit era cast, none of them, nor of FFVII even more so, are that fondly memorable to me. Okay, I do like Ayla, and Magus, and Lucca, Robo, and Frog all have their merits, but I wouldn't call them above and beyond other things in the genre in the same style.

4 hours ago, Johann said:

Super Mario Wiki, which I would trust, even though the link it cites is broken here, says:

During the development of Mario Tennis, the game had many classic Mario characters, but few were humans, and Wario did not have a partner for doubles. Then, designer Fumihide Aoki came up with the idea to make a rival for Luigi. Shigeru Miyamoto was consulted in order to help with the design. Between the development cast, names like "Jeroji", "Jinani", and "Waigi" popped up, until it was decided that the name would be "Waruiji", portmanteau of the words "Warui" and "Ruiji". It was also decided that the character would be the extreme to Luigi's height and lean body, just as Wario was the extreme to Mario's round and short body. According to Shugo Takahashi, Yoichi Kotabe put on the finishing touches for Waluigi's final design[1].

During Waluigi's development, there were propositions of creating a "Warupichi", which means "Wapeach" and possibly a "Warui" version of Princess Daisy, but these ideas were dismissed by Shigeru Miyamoto.[2]

24 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Or it'd be like one of the Tingle games, I guess.  Complete with a Waluigi "gasm" sound to match that of Tingle's.

That Captain Rainbow DS game I've read a tiny bit of also seems bizarre enough to deserve mention here.

2 hours ago, Johann said:

I think they're a Sega company, so 3rd party. It's likely that the contract they had worked out included something that assured Nintendo the rights to any characters created for the game. Perhaps a lesson they learned after Super Mario RPG, which was made by Square Enix (back when it was just Square), who own the rights to the original characters from that game (including Boshi, who was the "bad" Yoshi).

Oh believe me, I'm very much of aware of this. When one of the most request characters (Geno) is constantly having copyright as argument against his inclusion then I know that Boshi, Mallow, & the rest of the Mario RPG are in the same boat

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

During Waluigi's development, there were propositions of creating a "Warupichi", which means "Wapeach" and possibly a "Warui" version of Princess Daisy, but these ideas were dismissed by Shigeru Miyamoto.[2]

I don't see why they need a nega Princess when they have Captain Syrup. Then again, does anyone even remember her?

On 8/2/2018 at 12:19 PM, Zangetsu said:

I don't see why they need a nega Princess when they have Captain Syrup. Then again, does anyone even remember her?

Princess Shroob does the job even better, given actual Princess. Though you might have trouble getting her to be involved in friendly activities given she makes Ganondorf look pleasant.

I came up with a logical reason for Waluigi's constant neglect.

See, the thing you have to understand is, Wario is a Mario with his traits exaggerated, as said by @Interdimensional Observer, but not just in body as previously said but in his behavior. Mario smashes brick blocks. Wario smashes brick walls. Mario collects coins for lives. Wario is full blown greedy seeking any treasure possible. Mario is a mascot, but as observed in Warioware Gold's intro, Wario is plain egotistical. Mario eats mushrooms as power ups. Wario is just plain gluttonous. In some games Mario ditches Yoshi for an extra jump... but Wario takes disdain for one's mount one further by being able to eat his bike in Smash Bros.

So, now we know Wario takes and exaggerates Mario's traits, let's look at Luigi and Waluigi. Luigi, beyond being tall and thin, is best known for being the second banana so to speak. For being overshadowed. See where I'm going with this? Whereas Luigi is overshadowed by his brother and consequently left out of games like Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and until it's update, Super Mario Oddysey, Waluigi is left out of anything remotely mainstream and just plain overshadowed by everyone. I mean they even left the poor guy out of Mario Kart 7 in favour of Wiggler and Lakitu.

Essentially, Waluigi suffers all the neglect Luigi ever faced  multiplied by a factor of 1000.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:46 PM, Mad-manakete said:

Princess Shroob does the job even better, given actual Princess. Though you might have trouble getting her to be involved in friendly activities given she makes Ganondorf look pleasant.

Those are fighting words friend & I will youtube & wiki her to see lives up to such a claim

7 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Those are fighting words friend & I will youtube & wiki her to see lives up to such a claim

Spoiler

Make sure you get both the "Princess Shroob" and "Elder Princess Shroob". The latter being the nastier of the two given she literally shoots down her own minion's saucers in efforts to harm her opponents. Which is an achievement given all the regular one wants to do is destroy everything.

7 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:
  Hide contents

Make sure you get both the "Princess Shroob" and "Elder Princess Shroob". The latter being the nastier of the two given she literally shoots down her own minion's saucers in efforts to harm her opponents. Which is an achievement given all the regular one wants to do is destroy everything.

Well shit, it really does looks like she lives up to the hype. I was even going to say "Ganondorf was willing to kill kids" but she already try to do that too. While I don't necessarily believe she's more evil than Ganon, I'll concede anyways since she has no sympathetic qualities & Ganon does.

Thank you for introducing me to Princess Shroom.

Both of them for that matter

Edited by Zangetsu