SRPG Studio to become available on Steam August 20th

Corrobin

https://store.steampowered.com/app/857320/SRPG_Studio/

For those unaware, SRPG Studio is the software Kaga created to make his Vesteria Saga game, and it being translated and brought over will allow people to make FE fangames a lot easier!

7 hours ago, Corrobin said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/857320/SRPG_Studio/

For those unaware, SRPG Studio is the software Kaga created to make his Vesteria Saga game, and it being translated and brought over will allow people to make FE fangames a lot easier!

It wasn't Kaga that made the software; it was Sapphire Soft.  Kaga's just been using it as a base platform to develop his latest game.

Anyway, I'm definitely super glad this is coming out.  One thing that I just recently noticed is that it supposedly uses JavaScript.  And I'm planning to attend a programming boot camp that teaches that scripting language, so I might actually be able to work with it on the advanced level.

Very excited about this finally coming to this side of the world in a language I can understand, so I suppose this calls for some 'Boros ヽRGaYS2c.pngノヽRGaYS2c.pngノヽRGaYS2c.png

Good to know this is getting an English translation (and a handful of other languages). Let the amateurs flow in! Although I'm personally not creative enough for this (yet maybe it could finally drive me to finish my Insignia fanfict idea). I don't see a price tag listed by the way.

8 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Heck yeah. This'll be awesome. But where's Vesteria?

The release date for SRPG Maker says August 20th. Presumably Kaga doesn't want to have Vestaria Saga released before the tool with which he made it, so sometime after the 20th I would think. (This some form of indirect news on the game then, and that makes me feel a little better.)

Nonetheless, having the original director of FE make a full-length, and hopefully good, game using your product, is a good way to advertise it I think. "Look, you can make masterpieces like this if you really try!"

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Been messing around with the Steam Demo and it seems fairly easy and similar to RPG Maker. Only thing is the lack of an English Documentation/Manual right now to help with crashes and errors. There are some things I don't really understand either like the distinction between Memories, Recollection, Auto Event, Opening Event, Ending Event, Side Quests, Quests, etc. I also don't know how to set the victory condition for the very first map. Since it's the demo version I also can't really try out custom parameters.

Been wasting the past two days on this , it's pretty easy to pick up once you figure out what the menus mean. There's a help section on the Japanese website for SRPG studio and I managed to figure out a good deal with it, even if it's Google Translated. Definitely picking up the full version, the trial is incredibly versatile.

Yeah I'm starting to get the hang of it now. GoogleTranslate on the main website's documentation is surprisingly very helpful. Only thing I'm trying to figure out now is how to do support levels when they're fighting side-by-side. The Custom Parameter and Custom Skill Parameter are also something I'm interested in but that's reserved for the full version.

Yeah, I think if you're a newbie developer who wants to make FE-like games, but are too intimidated by the prospect of hacking and only want to do it for recreation/a hobby, then this is the tool for you.

My only complaint at this stage is the fact that I can't zoom out in the map editor as far as I can tell.  That's really problematic if I maybe wanted to make a GotHW sized map (roughly 50x50 map at least) because map designing is easiest if you can look at the grand design as opposed to just parts of it.  I hope that either it's already in there and I'm just being stupid or that it'll be a feature later.  Even if I don't make giant maps, I still would like the option to zoom out.

Other than that, it's pretty much the literal SRPG equivalent of RPG Maker.  I'd say specifically it's roughly around XP and VX Ace in terms of how advanced it is.  Which means it's already fairly customizable, and this is only the trial version I'm talking about.  You may spend hours just in the event and database editors alone.

I've been messing around with the trial version and it's definitely much more of what I needed it to be than RPG Maker. If its japanese price is anything to go by, it might be about 50-60 bucks, but I suppose it'll be worth it since who knows when FEXNA is ever getting released lol.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to make the test chapter have already-recruited units on the roster other than the main character. The google-translated resource only gives you information about how to make recruitable units...

7 hours ago, BlueLeafeon said:

I've been messing around with the trial version and it's definitely much more of what I needed it to be than RPG Maker. If its japanese price is anything to go by, it might be about 50-60 bucks, but I suppose it'll be worth it since who knows when FEXNA is ever getting released lol.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to make the test chapter have already-recruited units on the roster other than the main character. The google-translated resource only gives you information about how to make recruitable units...

It'll be in the Map Information UI.

Edited by Atticus Lee

I just saw this today and immediatly downloaded the demo. I will definitly try and create a whole game with this, no matter how long or short it will be. The engine looks good enough, even if a bit complicated at times. And "complicated" as in, that could have probably been done better. But anyways, I've waited years for this and I WILL do something with it!

Does this include a face sprite/battle sprite maker, or do you have to make it somewhere else and insert it here?

Does it include skills?

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

Does this include a face sprite/battle sprite maker, or do you have to make it somewhere else and insert it here?

Does it include skills?

No, but I'm sure you can find resources for making face sprites.  I know that each "block" for the face sprites happens to be of the same dimensions (96x96) as each block for the face sprites in RPG Maker VX Ace, but the sheets are three times larger vertically than the sheets in that program.  And the face sprite blocks in RPG Maker MV happen to have a common lower denominator with the ones in both the previous RPG Maker and SRPG Studio, so all you'd need to do is lower the sheet's overall dimensions to the same as the ones in RPG Maker VX Ace and then just paste three of them into a 576x384 picture (preferably with an alpha channel).  I'd use either GIMP or Photoshop to do this, and if you're using the former then it helps to make guidelines (you do this by clicking the rulers and dragging) at every point that's a multiple of 96 as well as on both "0" points.

There are skills, however.  Quite a few of which are straight up Genealogy skills (including the infamous "Pursuit" and "Critical" skills).  In the trial, however, you're limited to only the parameters of skill making given to you by the pre-made skills.  So you can make skills that boost any stats and the like, but you can't make a skill that, say, allows the user to teleport on command, or call upon custom script commands.  To that end, any custom scripting can't be done in the demo.

You can download the demo yourself.  You just need to go to the program's store page and there should be a button somewhere on the right side that says "Download Demo".  Then you can look into the program yourself.  It's the same version most of us are using.  As far as I can tell, everything is in English.

On 8/11/2018 at 3:43 PM, Ertrick36 said:

It's the same version most of us are using.  As far as I can tell, everything is in English.

You can tell it was Giggle Translated, but it does its job well.

The largest problem I've found is that the Item Get message, by default, seems to be quite...garbled.

js2SRsf.png

I have yet to figure out if I can change this message.

2 hours ago, BlueLeafeon said:

You can tell it was Giggle Translated, but it does its job well.

The largest problem I've found is that the Item Get message, by default, seems to be quite...garbled.

js2SRsf.png

I have yet to figure out if I can change this message.

Funny I just ran into the issue with those messages today when I test played a map I made for the first time.

I also found that I had major problems with scaling 'cuz I kept using the Charisma skill.  I made a classic FE-style "final boss preview" where three bosses showed up on the map to command their armies, and they all had a variant of the Charisma skill.  I was left scratching my head when my rather decently high skill player units were getting hit rates of, like, 20 against a bunch of garbage mobs.  Which then left me even more surprised when Nadine was actually hitting them with a ballista.  Yes, I'm talking about Nadine from VC, it's a sort of stupid fan collage game I'm making just for fun.

I wish they did it like in Genealogy or Fates where it's only within a certain proximity that it becomes active.  That way you actually are forced to bring the Charisma units along instead of being able to just field a bunch of bad units with the skill to boost a few units' hit/avoid stats to ridiculous levels for them to solo the map.

Also wish they didn't have standard dialogue be based on unit and just did like in RPG Maker.  I tend to make multiple face graphics for the same character to represent different emotions like in the 3DS games, but I find I have to make an army of NPCs just to do that.  I may have to forgo my rule of "eight expressions per character" and just do, like, two or three like in the GBA games.

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I wish they did it like in Genealogy or Fates where it's only within a certain proximity that it becomes active.  That way you actually are forced to bring the Charisma units along instead of being able to just field a bunch of bad units with the skill to boost a few units' hit/avoid stats to ridiculous levels for them to solo the map.

Also wish they didn't have standard dialogue be based on unit and just did like in RPG Maker.  I tend to make multiple face graphics for the same character to represent different emotions like in the 3DS games, but I find I have to make an army of NPCs just to do that.  I may have to forgo my rule of "eight expressions per character" and just do, like, two or three like in the GBA games.

The "Scope" stat on Skill Effects allows you to change the range of a support skill's effects.

Completely agree. Character illustrations (Database->Players->Details->Char Illust) seem to have compatibility for changing emotions, but I've yet to find a way to actually change that emotion during dialogue.

EDIT: Figured it out based on the tutorial:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://srpgstudio.com/lecture/scriptplugin.html&prev=search

Edited by BlueLeafeon

3 hours ago, BlueLeafeon said:

The "Scope" stat on Skill Effects allows you to change the range of a support skill's effects.

Well, now I feel stupid :p

3 hours ago, BlueLeafeon said:

Completely agree. Character illustrations (Database->Players->Details->Char Illust) seem to have compatibility for changing emotions, but I've yet to find a way to actually change that emotion during dialogue.

EDIT: Figured it out based on the tutorial:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://srpgstudio.com/lecture/scriptplugin.html&prev=search

I found the page you were likely talking about, but for some reason that link sends me to a page about changing battle formulas with custom scripts.

This seems to be a learning experience for all of us.

4 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, now I feel stupid :p

I found the page you were likely talking about, but for some reason that link sends me to a page about changing battle formulas with custom scripts.

This seems to be a learning experience for all of us.

I blame google. But yes, on the How to Use - Courses page, it's the link titled "Use of expression data and standing drawings"