Grima on retrospect

Jotari

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Consider how War Dragons, who are said to be mostly inferior to normal dragons b Jahn I believe, they already have such a superior advantage. It doesn't strike to me that this would make any sense that there would ever be a numbers advantage. The ratio would need to be astronomically high for the humans to ever have an advantage over dragons for sheer numbers to be able to overwhelm the dragons. Then again, I always felt the Elibe Dragons were weaker than the Arhanean Dragons, so this could just be a case of perception.

The number advantage was astronomically higher on the human side. And the war was also very long and protracted as Jahn says it was the human birth rate that outpaced the dragons birth rate.

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

No, it wasn't to avoid degeneration. His goal was always just one thing: make humans suffer. 

He wasn't using humans to escape degeneration. He was using humans just so he could have revenge on humans. Revenge for what? Existing. 

That's it. He hates humans because they exist and humans ultimately becoming the dominant species in Archanea. 

Also, Blood Pact... doesn't function as an escape from degeneration. It never was. I don't know why anyone thinks that. Loptous spirit does exist through the blood, yes, just as Naga's does through Heim, performing a blood pact by no means indicates that your body is gone. Loptous performed the blood pact, but he still had a physical body. Which was presumably sealed away or killed in the dragon war. But the blood pact doesn't truly make any avoidance of degeneration. And he doesn't fully possess his hosts, only his will influences and warps them.

Grima's origins were a mystery, yes. But what we lacked in information, we ended up getting something different. In that, unlike Loptous, we got to SEE just how much danger he poses to the world. How his very existence can destroy all hope. With the cutscenes and how Lucina reacted at seeing Grima in person, she was downright terrified. Though the localization one wasn't as great as the original (that extra booming echo in Japanese was just terrifying to me), it was still pretty dark in how Grima showed just how far he had won, and how dire things looked for Lucina. 

There was really nothing to need to understand where Grima was coming from, only understand what Grima's existence posed to the world. @Otts486 describes it best, in that Grima is basically this force of nature.

Maybe that's why I'm able to appreciate Grima so much. Because rather than having to hear and be told about Grima, I got to really SEE the destruction and chaos he wrought. 

You're back to saying Loptyr isn't in the game and how you hate a depiction you don't believe is actually seen. Do you still not understand how illogical that is? Saying there's no possession means there's no Loptyr. And even that aside, we do get to see how much danger Loptyr, or if you're saying there's no possession, then maybe more accurately Galle, poses against the world in the form of the child hunts, mass sacrarifices and the character of such people that flourish under such a system like Hilda. It's a different kind of damage than Grima's mass destruction, but it's very much a thing. We have a clear indication of what is happening to the world and what will continue to happen if Julius isn't stopped.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The number advantage was astronomically higher on the human side. And the war was also very long and protracted as Jahn says it was the human birth rate that outpaced the dragons birth rate.

Except the problem is that apart from some magic, most weapons cannot even dent a War Dragon. And if real dragons are stronger than War Dragons, why would sheer numbers actually pose such a problem? It just doesn't feel like numbers should have been that much of an issue. Unless there were dragonslaying weapons being produced, but pretty sure that those were supposed to be the legendaries. 

Unless we're going wiht mass produced Wyrmslayers.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You're back to saying Loptyr isn't in the game and how you hate a depiction you don't believe is actually seen. Do you still not understand how illogical that is? Saying there's no possession means there's no Loptyr. And even that aside, we do get to see how much danger Loptyr, or if you're saying there's no possession, then maybe more accurately Galle, poses against the world in the form of the child hunts, mass sacrarifices and the character of such people that flourish under such a system like Hilda. It's a different kind of damage than Grima's mass destruction, but it's very much a thing. We have a clear indication of what is happening to the world and what will continue to happen if Julius isn't stopped.

Did you pay attention to the context of what I was saying? I was not talking about Loptous as a character. I was talking about what was Loptous' motivations, which Kaga literally confirmed was just to make humans suffer. And I was explaining the blood pact does not actually make you avoid degeneration because while some form of your spirit exists through the blood, you are still physically alive. You don't suddenly die or vanish, and Loptous didn't actually turn into the tome.

Furthermore, no. We are TOLD this. We HEAR this. We don't SEE this. Big difference. 

So many people argue the show vs tell, yet so much of Loptous' threat are just tell. Very few shows. 

In comparison ton Grima, where we see PLENTY of shows. We don't need to be told just how dangerous he is, because we got a big show of the hellscape he wrought onto Ylisstol.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Except the problem is that apart from some magic, most weapons cannot even dent a War Dragon. And if real dragons are stronger than War Dragons, why would sheer numbers actually pose such a problem? It just doesn't feel like numbers should have been that much of an issue. Unless there were dragonslaying weapons being produced, but pretty sure that those were supposed to be the legendaries. 

Unless we're going wiht mass produced Wyrmslayers.

In terms of gameplay a unit can damage a War Dragon though, without a legendary weapon or even a when slayer. An individual dragon is stronger than dozens of humans, but they're not invincible. I don't see it as unreasonable to think there were a thousand times as many humans as there were dragons and a dragon could be felled by as little as a hundred humans (and I don't think it's unlikely they had wyrmslayers either since the people of Elibe made the legendary weapons themselves).

Did you pay attention to the context of what I was saying? I was not talking about Loptous as a character. I was talking about what was Loptous' motivations, which Kaga literally confirmed was just to make humans suffer. And I was explaining the blood pact does not actually make you avoid degeneration because while some form of your spirit exists through the blood, you are still physically alive. You don't suddenly die or vanish, and Loptous didn't actually turn into the tome.

Furthermore, no. We are TOLD this. We HEAR this. We don't SEE this. Big difference. 

So many people argue the show vs tell, yet so much of Loptous' threat are just tell. Very few shows. 

In comparison ton Grima, where we see PLENTY of shows. We don't need to be told just how dangerous he is, because we got a big show of the hellscape he wrought onto Ylisstol.

We do see it. You literally have to save children that are being hunted down by soldiers. Lene gets raped (or almost does based how you take her comment) by a merchant who may or may not be part of the loot sect itself. A destestable and gleeful sadist like Hilda is one of the most powerful people in the world. Julius imploys zombies as his elite soldiers, zombies that were good people (and Lifis) in life. Thracia further shows the child hunts and depicts genuinely good people has having to resort to banditry to survive. I how can it be shown any further that the lopt sect are bad news? We literally see them kill children for sport and murder anyone who gets in their way.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

In terms of gameplay a unit can damage a War Dragon though, without a legendary weapon or even a when slayer. An individual dragon is stronger than dozens of humans, but they're not invincible. I don't see it as unreasonable to think there were a thousand times as many humans as there were dragons and a dragon could be felled by as little as a hundred humans (and I don't think it's unlikely they had wyrmslayers either since the people of Elibe made the legendary weapons themselves).

Here's another thing. Originally, dragons were much stronger back then too, but the Ending Winter changed that. Humans didn't grow weaker, apart from the Legendary Weapons. In which case, dragons that were much stronger back, including War Dragons, should have had an even larger advantage. 

The ONLY thing that would have been more consistent in damaging dragons is magic.

Not only that but whereas all dragons know how to fight, not all humans can learn how to. So even with numbers on their side, if there's a case where they lose numbers, they cannot easily replace them because it takes time to train the others, and not all humans are exactly bred to fight. 

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

We do see it. You literally have to save children that are being hunted down by soldiers. Lene gets raped (or almost does based how you take her comment) by a merchant who may or may not be part of the loot sect itself. A destestable and gleeful sadist like Hilda is one of the most powerful people in the world. Julius imploys zombies as his elite soldiers, zombies that were good people (and Lifis) in life. Thracia further shows the child hunts and depicts genuinely good people has having to resort to banditry to survive. I how can it be shown any further that the lopt sect are bad news? We literally see them kill children for sport and murder anyone who gets in their way.

Ah, you MIGHT want to correct yourself there. 

No, you really DON'T see it. You get an implication that something happened with Lene, you do see some kids running away, but we certainly never SEE exactly what Hilda did to Tailtiu, only that she's a supporter of the Loptous Empire. Not only that, but we never got the context of Deadlords until FE5, but before that, there were 12 Deadlords that appear out of nowhere, and that's it. Unlike the Risen, which we know are zombies, and Grima can prepare them in infinitum. 

Not only that, but Julius tells Ishtar that the child hunts are a way of selecting the strong. What exactly do the kids go through? We're told things, but we don't get to see it.

Yeah, I definitely feel for the kids being hunted down, but I certainly don't understand exactly what the Lopto Sect does to them. I'm just told that its bad. 

Also, unlike Medeus being offered sacrifices, which are needed to revive him, what and how are sacrifices truly needed for Loptous? They try to say that its necessary, but how? That's another thing. Least we SEE the sacrifices for Grima being prepared ad we see how Grima says he'll use them, and ends up using them to revive his dragon form. 

Here's another thing. Originally, dragons were much stronger back then too, but the Ending Winter changed that. Humans didn't grow weaker, apart from the Legendary Weapons. In which case, dragons that were much stronger back, including War Dragons, should have had an even larger advantage. 

The ONLY thing that would have been more consistent in damaging dragons is magic.

Not only that but whereas all dragons know how to fight, not all humans can learn how to. So even with numbers on their side, if there's a case where they lose numbers, they cannot easily replace them because it takes time to train the others, and not all humans are exactly bred to fight. 

There's nothing really to say here. Dragons don't have some kind of mantle effect. Normal units can damage, even if they only deal a single point of damage, they can still hurt them. The game directly tells us that dragons lost because there's way more humans. I don't see any reason to doubt that this assertion is true. The gameplay of the game directly supports it. Maybe the humans were using magic or wrymslayers to do the bulk of the damage, we don't know and it doesn't really matters. All that matters is that their vastly superior numbers were winning them the war.

Ah, you MIGHT want to correct yourself there. 

No, you really DON'T see it. You get an implication that something happened with Lene, you do see some kids running away, but we certainly never SEE exactly what Hilda did to Tailtiu, only that she's a supporter of the Loptous Empire. Not only that, but we never got the context of Deadlords until FE5, but before that, there were 12 Deadlords that appear out of nowhere, and that's it. Unlike the Risen, which we know are zombies, and Grima can prepare them in infinitum. 

Not only that, but Julius tells Ishtar that the child hunts are a way of selecting the strong. What exactly do the kids go through? We're told things, but we don't get to see it.

Yeah, I definitely feel for the kids being hunted down, but I certainly don't understand exactly what the Lopto Sect does to them. I'm just told that its bad. 

Also, unlike Medeus being offered sacrifices, which are needed to revive him, what and how are sacrifices truly needed for Loptous? They try to say that its necessary, but how? That's another thing. Least we SEE the sacrifices for Grima being prepared ad we see how Grima says he'll use them, and ends up using them to revive his dragon form. 

Your misinterpreting what show don't tell is. You don't see anything in Genealogy because the only thing we have are talking sprites. But the game still shows us things. An example of telling is Hilda's abuse of Tailtyu. An example of showing is how Hilda acts when confronted by Tinny (with sadistic glee at the actions we're told about), Hilda's position in the empire, her sycophant tendencies and willingness to adhere to any philosophy to raise above her social station and the willingness of the system to let her do that. We don't see Lene literally getting raped, but we are shown that she is taken advantage of and the cavalier attitude everyone aside from Aless has towards the abuse. We're told the children will be put into hunger games style gladiator fights, we're shown that children are actively being murdered. We're told that parents who resist their children are killed, in being told that, we're shown that anyone who attempts to stand up to the empire is mercilessly slaughtered. Show don't tell doesn't mean everything needs to be visibly depicted in a cutscene, it means that information should be relayed to the audience by way of actions rather than words. Compare and contrast it to Awakening, where most of what we know about the future actually is told to us by way of the children's supports. But just because we're being told things, doesn't mean we aren't being shown things too. By telling us what happened to them, we're shown how that world has influenced them as people (in the best cases). Jugdral is demonstrably a shitty place to live, especially during Gen II, this is clearly shown to us by the actions of the characters in the world. If it was telling over showing, then characters would simply say "this is a bad place to be," without explaining why. Telling us there's childhunts, even if we don't see the results of them (which we actually do), shows us how evil the empire is.

As for the Why, there is no reason. Loptyr doesn't need the sacrifices or the child hunts to gain stronger. He just hates humans super hard and wants to see them suffer. For some reason that level of pettiness makes him uninteresting to you, while to me it's the very thing I find appealing about him.

Edited by Jotari

Never liked him. I remember playing Awakening for the first time thinking what a boring and typical "I'M EVUL!!!" villain he was and I've never been a fan of those EVER. 

The Heroes and Echoes stuff is a little bit too little too late but even taking it into account I still don't like him any more than before. Echoes just gives him some backstory and I don't like his Heroes stuff either.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

There's nothing really to say here. Dragons don't have some kind of mantle effect. Normal units can damage, even if they only deal a single point of damage, they can still hurt them. The game directly tells us that dragons lost because there's way more humans. I don't see any reason to doubt that this assertion is true. The gameplay of the game directly supports it. Maybe the humans were using magic or wrymslayers to do the bulk of the damage, we don't know and it doesn't really matters. All that matters is that their vastly superior numbers were winning them the war.

It's just rather hard to understand. And the bigger thing I don't get is how it's possible that FE7 shows a single Fire Dragon as the final boss, and despite us having FOUR Elibe Weapons and a weapon that has about the same might as the Elibe Weapons, and yet despite that, it wasn't a cakewalk, but rather it was a struggle. Are we to possibly take that that was also how strong Jahn was? 

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Your misinterpreting what show don't tell is. You don't see anything in Genealogy because the only thing we have are talking sprites. But the game still shows us things. An example of telling is Hilda's abuse of Tailtyu. An example of showing is how Hilda acts when confronted by Tinny (with sadistic glee at the actions we're told about), Hilda's position in the empire, her sycophant tendencies and willingness to adhere to any philosophy to raise above her social station and the willingness of the system to let her do that. We don't see Lene literally getting raped, but we are shown that she is taken advantage of and the cavalier attitude everyone aside from Aless has towards the abuse. We're told the children will be put into hunger games style gladiator fights, we're shown that children are actively being murdered. We're told that parents who resist their children are killed, in being told that, we're shown that anyone who attempts to stand up to the empire is mercilessly slaughtered. Show don't tell doesn't mean everything needs to be visibly depicted in a cutscene, it means that information should be relayed to the audience by way of actions rather than words. Compare and contrast it to Awakening, where most of what we know about the future actually is told to us by way of the children's supports. But just because we're being told things, doesn't mean we aren't being shown things too. By telling us what happened to them, we're shown how that world has influenced them as people (in the best cases). Jugdral is demonstrably a shitty place to live, especially during Gen II, this is clearly shown to us by the actions of the characters in the world. If it was telling over showing, then characters would simply say "this is a bad place to be," without explaining why. Telling us there's childhunts, even if we don't see the results of them (which we actually do), shows us how evil the empire is.

As for the Why, there is no reason. Loptyr doesn't need the sacrifices or the child hunts to gain stronger. He just hates humans super hard and wants to see them suffer. For some reason that level of pettiness makes him uninteresting to you, while to me it's the very thing I find appealing about him.

Fair point. However, this is actually the part where I believe Genealogy has the biggest fail in the narrative. 

The entire game ultimately shows how the Lopto Sect is evil, but we are told that they are doing it for revenge on the people for persecuting them. However, the problem there is that despite how the game holds nothing back in showing us how shitty the Lopto Sect are and how vicious their empire is, why did the game not even try to show us the persecution they faced? 

The narrative of the story tries to depict that Seliph learns to sympathize with the Lopto Sect, at least a little. Or rather, he understands that there are two sides to the war, and even the Lopto Sect have their own reasons, and this is the cycle of hatred that must be severed. However, this doesn't in the least bit make the Lopto Sect have any form of sympathy, nor can players even begin to understand their actions, because all we got of their persecution is a tell, not a show. If they could show us the child hunts of children trying to run away and them being hunted by soldiers, why couldn't we see something like this of Lopto Sect people being burned at the stake? Genealogy already has so many dark themes, so this shouldn't have been an exception.

This also makes it hard to even understand if Arvis had anything to fear being burned at the stake because we don't see the persecution of the Lopto Sect. 

All Genealogy does is show that the Lopto Sect are cruel, vicious, manipulative, and evil. And we're supposed to think that they are better because they manipulated people or have some sympathetic background? 

Seliph is supposed to understand both sides of the spectrum so that he can sever this chain of hatred. That's what Lewyn/Forseti was guiding Seliph for. Yet how can we believe in such a narrative if all the show is the Lopto Sect is pure evil, and we never even get to see what they've been through, only get told? 

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's just rather hard to understand. And the bigger thing I don't get is how it's possible that FE7 shows a single Fire Dragon as the final boss, and despite us having FOUR Elibe Weapons and a weapon that has about the same might as the Elibe Weapons, and yet despite that, it wasn't a cakewalk, but rather it was a struggle. Are we to possibly take that that was also how strong Jahn was? 

Fair point. However, this is actually the part where I believe Genealogy has the biggest fail in the narrative. 

The entire game ultimately shows how the Lopto Sect is evil, but we are told that they are doing it for revenge on the people for persecuting them. However, the problem there is that despite how the game holds nothing back in showing us how shitty the Lopto Sect are and how vicious their empire is, why did the game not even try to show us the persecution they faced? 

The narrative of the story tries to depict that Seliph learns to sympathize with the Lopto Sect, at least a little. Or rather, he understands that there are two sides to the war, and even the Lopto Sect have their own reasons, and this is the cycle of hatred that must be severed. However, this doesn't in the least bit make the Lopto Sect have any form of sympathy, nor can players even begin to understand their actions, because all we got of their persecution is a tell, not a show. If they could show us the child hunts of children trying to run away and them being hunted by soldiers, why couldn't we see something like this of Lopto Sect people being burned at the stake? Genealogy already has so many dark themes, so this shouldn't have been an exception.

This also makes it hard to even understand if Arvis had anything to fear being burned at the stake because we don't see the persecution of the Lopto Sect. 

All Genealogy does is show that the Lopto Sect are cruel, vicious, manipulative, and evil. And we're supposed to think that they are better because they manipulated people or have some sympathetic background? 

Seliph is supposed to understand both sides of the spectrum so that he can sever this chain of hatred. That's what Lewyn/Forseti was guiding Seliph for. Yet how can we believe in such a narrative if all the show is the Lopto Sect is pure evil, and we never even get to see what they've been through, only get told? 

Yes,t he lopt sect persecution is an example of telling over showing. I guess the game just wasn't interested in showing their sympathetic side beyond that one visit to the Yied Shrine. Ideally Genealogy should have had a character like Salem, a defector from the sect that can give us a clear idea what it's like being raised in their cult.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yes,t he lopt sect persecution is an example of telling over showing. I guess the game just wasn't interested in showing their sympathetic side beyond that one visit to the Yied Shrine. Ideally Genealogy should have had a character like Salem, a defector from the sect that can give us a clear idea what it's like being raised in their cult.

Which is why I consider the narrative to have failed because the entire point of Seliph's journey was to understand his enemy and realize the two sides of the spectrum. Because that was the key to breaking the cycle of hatred. And yet we only see one side of the spectrum, but we are told the other. 

This isn't even the first time that happened. Medeus in the Archanea series hates humans because of how humans persecuted the Manaketes, yet never once were we shown this. 

Or the Tellius series. The Branded were treated like shit by the beorcs, and like they don't exist by the laguz. And we're told htat this was so terrible. And yet, every single Branded in the Tellius series have gone almost unnoticed by every character, even the laguz. Stefan says that the laguz have senses, and the sharp ones recognize you immediately.

Either no one was willing to mention or even hint that they knew, or every laguz in the series are really dull.

Grima's saving grace in Awakening is that despite being an uninspired, generic villain in personality and characterization--they absolutely nailed the visual design element. 

They were going for ancient evil, apocalypse-heralding dragon fiend. They presented ancient evil, apocalypse-heralding dragon fiend. Its a memorable, well put together design that conveys dread and power on appearance, where maybe some of the accompanying dialogue falls a bit flat. But it still visually conveys a powerful, memorable villain.

_______

...as opposed to sayyyyyyyy--Anankos...

Where the writing and storytelling in Fates does him no favors, and then on top of that his visual design is just jokes. 

3 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

They were going for ancient evil, apocalypse-heralding dragon fiend. They presented ancient evil, apocalypse-heralding dragon fiend. Its a memorable, well put together design that conveys dread and power on appearance, where maybe some of the accompanying dialogue falls a bit flat. But it still visually conveys a powerful, memorable villain.

Though the localization could use work, I absolutely think they nailed how Grima sounds in the Japanese, with that booming echo dark voice. Really adds a layer of terror and symbolizes how Grima is above them.

3 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Where the writing and storytelling in Fates does him no favors, and then on top of that his visual design is just jokes. 

They were certainly trying to show off Anankos' powers. And even tried to make him seem as big as Grima, even if it failed. Not to mention that they gave him a backstory, but it's behind DLC.

8 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Grima's saving grace in Awakening is that despite being an uninspired, generic villain in personality and characterization--they absolutely nailed the visual design element. 

_______

agreed honestly with anankos I have no idea what they were going for design wise. He just looks so generic aside from the little ball of eyes in his face which I have no idea how that is supposed to function. Hell corrin and lilith have more unique dragon designs which is odd considering they're his kids so shouldn't there be some kind of family resemblance. I mean if they were going for a deteriorated mad dragon they did convey that but in the most boring and unoriginal way possible. which is weird because I assume Kozaki designed them both but when you compare Grima's design to anankos's design it really is night and day in terms of quality.

2 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

agreed honestly with anankos I have no idea what they were going for design wise. He just looks so generic aside from the little ball of eyes in his face which I have no idea how that is supposed to function. Hell corrin and lilith have more unique dragon designs which is odd considering they're his kids so shouldn't there be some kind of family resemblance. I mean if they were going for a deteriorated mad dragon they did convey that but in the most boring and unoriginal way possible. which is weird because I assume Kozaki designed them both but when you compare Grima's design to anankos's design it really is night and day in terms of quality.

Corrin I believe resembles a Kirin, and Lilith... I forget, something dragon fish something. But yeah, lack of resemblance is the weirdest thing. 

I mean, unless it goes with my theory that degeneration can cause mutations to some dragons, but I would personally prefer not to link Fates to Archanea. 

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

_______

I detest his big droopy dragon form, but I actually like the design for Anankos' human form in heirs of Fates. Despite being mostly a rip off of a hooded Robin design. The blue hair and floating pose just kind of works for me.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I detest his big droopy dragon form, but I actually like the design for Anankos' human form in heirs of Fates. Despite being mostly a rip off of a hooded Robin design. The blue hair and floating pose just kind of works for me.

I personally wish the blue hair wasn't there. We could have let that make Corrin's Avatar custom-made appearance make sense then. But nope. Now it's a wonder as to how Corrin got his look if his default appearance looks nothing like Anankos or Mikoto.