I have to say, I'm not longer so pessimistic about Three Houses...

Dinar87

Compared to how worried I was over things like 8-4 not handling localisation, and the marriage and avatar seemingly coming back, I'm actually getting excited again for the game, as it looks like a hybrid between awakening and echoes, which is better than I was first expecting it to be. Sure a tellius 3/echoes 2.0 would've been better for me at least, but this game has been on my mind a lot in a positive way, and I'm wondering if anyone feels the same way I do?

Not only that, but my hatred for awakening and fates has seriously died down as of late, as while they may not be exactly like what I want out of fire emblem, I now realize I still like them quite a lot as I've recently replayed them (my play time for both games combined is 400+ hours now).

nia.jpg.0d037c5e06f4396821a44e67d78e10cf.jpg
Also I've recently finished xenoblade chronicles 2 at around 130 hours, and I loved playing through that game as well!!

three houses looks, graphically, anyways, to resemble the tellius games, so im hoping for other features of the tellius games to come back, like BEXP and being able to move skills around, though im aware that they are unlikely to actually return. i share the common sentiment that the fanservice in fates/awakening was stupid and over-the-top, but i respect them for what they did for the series, with awakening providing an actually standardized skill system that created progression, and fates (conquest anyways) for showing that IS still knows how to make good maps.

on the other hand,  i think the avatar character, you know, blue hair bowl cut, angry eyes, edgy AF outfit, looks dumb, the slice of life style chatting in the castle could be disastrously boring if IS messes up, and could cause balance issues if the bonuses are too great, and i honestly don't think that crit quotes work in this context, with better more realistic graphics, it will be difficult to make those work without ruining investment. 

to summarise, i don't think it would be fair to come to any conclusions other than minor nitpicks or hopes until we get more information, because, come on. we only have one fucking trailer to work with NINTENDO.

1 hour ago, (s)ad touch said:

three houses looks, graphically, anyways, to resemble the tellius games, so im hoping for other features of the tellius games to come back, like BEXP and being able to move skills around, though im aware that they are unlikely to actually return. i share the common sentiment that the fanservice in fates/awakening was stupid and over-the-top, but i respect them for what they did for the series, with awakening providing an actually standardized skill system that created progression, and fates (conquest anyways) for showing that IS still knows how to make good maps.

on the other hand,  i think the avatar character, you know, blue hair bowl cut, angry eyes, edgy AF outfit, looks dumb, the slice of life style chatting in the castle could be disastrously boring if IS messes up, and could cause balance issues if the bonuses are too great, and i honestly don't think that crit quotes work in this context, with better more realistic graphics, it will be difficult to make those work without ruining investment. 

to summarise, i don't think it would be fair to come to any conclusions other than minor nitpicks or hopes until we get more information, because, come on. we only have one fucking trailer to work with NINTENDO.

I agree, having only one trailer so far, and basically no more info than said trailer is pretty frustrating so those currently waiting for this game like me. I'm surprised it's not even going to be shown off at gamescom either apparently.

I've been optimistic since the beginning. I'm hoping for something akin to Tellius or GBA map design with some of the newer Echoes mechanics and SMT/Persona style supports.

I did not like Echoes as a game at all because of Gaiden's shitacular map designs (the most important thing to get right in a FE game), but I did enjoy the way it handled weapon skills, magic, archers, and exploration mechanics. These new mechanics in particular would be welcome additions to 3H or any other new FE game.

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, MetalAmethyst said:

I've been optimistic about this game since day 1! I just hope the maps and enemy placement aren't abysmal. Echoes has been giving me hard time because of this (I'm on Act 5... SAVE ME!).

Oh no...are you stuck on the final boss like I was? xD that thing took ages to beat, and I only beat the boss by spamming Invoke, as the boss targets the clones rather than my units that I don't want getting killed!

I'd like to have full voice acting again though like in echoes...

9 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

nia.jpg.0d037c5e06f4396821a44e67d78e10cf.jpg
Also I've recently finished xenoblade chronicles 2 at around 130 hours, and I loved playing through that game as well!!

Though it had cringey voice acting and really terrible lip sync, it was very enjoyable, and definitely had more replay value than the original Xenoblade. 

Just wish the Rare Blade did not have to be so damn infuriating.

17 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Though it had cringey voice acting and really terrible lip sync, it was very enjoyable, and definitely had more replay value than the original Xenoblade. 

Just wish the Rare Blade did not have to be so damn infuriating.

I loved the voice acting in the same way I loved the voice acting in the original one-it's hilariously bad. But at the same time...it's also so charming and delightful!

Rare blades? What are those? I don't think I ever got a proper rare blade like kosmos in my entire playthrough!

5 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

I loved the voice acting in the same way I loved the voice acting in the original one-it's hilariously bad. But at the same time...it's also so charming and delightful!

Rare blades? What are those? I don't think I ever got a proper rare blade like kosmos in my entire playthrough!

I found the original's voice acting to be great. It captured many of the emotions right and were timed rather well. But for Xenoblade 2, some were just hard to appreciate, cause at times, the emotions don't match the tone.

You got KOS-MOS? Lucky bastard. 

You have no idea how many times I managed to find Legendary Core Crystals in my playthrough, but by the time I used them, I never got the Rare Blades, only Common.

Ironically, by that point, the only way I ever got Rare Blades was when I wasn't looking for Rare Blades. Rather, I needed a Giant-type Megalance Common Blade. Went through the ENTIRE stock of Common Core Crystals, but two of them through it ended up giving me T-elos and the Dagas. 

Also, for the original point of the topic, I was hyped since day 1. And though it was just a two minute trailer, I considered the possibility that this might actually be related to Archaena somehow.

While only one trailer isn't a lot to go off of, I myself am very excited about the game.  That said, I do have some reservations about the game, mostly pertaining to story and writing (then again the fact that we actually know the name of the continent in this game unlike Fates gives me hope it'll at the very least be decent with world building).  While 8-4 isn't localizing, I have faith that if the Fates localization controversy is anything to go by, Nintendo may take a bit more caution when localizing.

As for game play, I'm getting a vibe that it wants to take what worked with many people in the previous games (notably Tellius, Awakening, and Echoes), taking out things people didn't like, and adding in some new elements to help give this game a distinct identity.

In terms of structure, I'd personally like if the game was either

1) a straight forward, linear experience with more complicated maps and objectives, but you could choose from the start whether or not you want to be able to grind, or be pushed forward.  (Think of it like a Conquest Mode = No grinding outside of story and side quests and a Birthright Mode = grind to your hearts content; though some elements would be adjusted depending on what you pick.)

2) a game where depending on what you do in the maps/over world, it affects the course of the story and what maps/objectives you have to fulfill as you go. (For example, you can approach a map from the rear, making it easier but resulting in less rewards and the enemy seeing you as utilizing cowardly tactics, resulting in future maps becoming filled with more enemies as said enemy kingdom's people rally against you; or a more complicated, more rewarding map from the front, causing enemies to see you as a threat that they need to take seriously and future maps having the enemy in a more complicated, tactical position, though the enemy kingdom's citizens gradually become less willing to fight.)

I personally really like the character design, as from what we've seen, it looks to have the very expressive and colorful appearance of characters from Awakening, yet have some down-to-earth elements to it like Echoes.

As for elements such as marriage and the avatar, I myself don't want marriage taken away, but I'd really like to see be toned down, or if they really want to expand upon it; maybe they could have something like bond conversations or marriage conversations where you can delve into the character's relationship as the conflict happens around them. As for the avatar, well, if at the very least they can be like Robin as opposed to Corrin I'd be fine with that.  Children on the other hand; I really, REALLY don't want them in the game, unless they are worked into the main story in some way that feels justifiable or important.  

All in all, Three Houses has me excited to have a mainline Fire Emblem on Switch for the possibilities; even if I have my reservations.

To be honest, I'm getting to the point where (gameplay wise), as long as the maps are good and aren't shit-fucked (echoesssssssss) I'd be really happy. Seriously, that one boss in Echoes.. was really bad. haha. As long as there isn't any tomfoolery like that, I'll eat this game up. I can't do anything about the shoddy 3D so why resist it anymore. I've been waiting too long for a Switch FE to not as least give it a chance.

29 minutes ago, nyainou said:

To be honest, I'm getting to the point where (gameplay wise), as long as the maps are good and aren't shit-fucked (echoesssssssss) I'd be really happy. Seriously, that one boss in Echoes.. was really bad. haha. As long as there isn't any tomfoolery like that, I'll eat this game up. I can't do anything about the shoddy 3D so why resist it anymore. I've been waiting too long for a Switch FE to not as least give it a chance.

Oh man, I think I know which boss that was, since I got stuck on that guy as well :>_<:

And yeah, if the game has maps like conquest where there's stuff like "defend" or escaping...that'd be pretty awesome!! Whenever I'm replaying fire emblem fates, is nearly always a conquest playthrough because the gameplay is great imo. 

Also I agree with the other guy's post, that having an option of make a playthrough of FE three houses more linear like in fates conquest would be pretty cool!

Edited by Dinar87

• 2 weeks later...

I was hyped then, I am hyped now, there is no salvation.

That being said, the reason for it is not the content showed in the teaser in itself, but the fact it's a Fire Emblem game. If what they showed had been bad, the hype would have been the same.

So far it looks very good to me, not spectacular, but with the potential to be :lol:

5 hours ago, Chopper... said:

I was hyped then, I am hyped now, there is no salvation.

That being said, the reason for it is not the content showed in the teaser in itself, but the fact it's a Fire Emblem game. If what they showed had been bad, the hype would have been the same.

So far it looks very good to me, not spectacular, but with the potential to be :lol:

Out of curiosity, what gives you your faith in Intelligent Systems to make an appealing fire emblem game that you'll enjoy? Or basically, what was it about fates and awakening that you enjoyed the most? I'd like to know what fans of fates like about the games so I can better understand the fire emblem fandom.

For me I enjoy fire emblem when there's an atmosphere akin to game of thrones, where there's multiple political and serious issues going on nearly at all times, with basically no comedic relief or anything. I prefer atmospheric consistency above all else I think in any games I play. Basically, you can get away with any premise as long as it's handled realistically is what my preferences are.

3 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

Out of curiosity, what gives you your faith in Intelligent Systems to make an appealing fire emblem game that you'll enjoy? Or basically, what was it about fates and awakening that you enjoyed the most? I'd like to know what fans of fates like about the games so I can better understand the fire emblem fandom.

For me I enjoy fire emblem when there's an atmosphere akin to game of thrones, where there's multiple political and serious issues going on nearly at all times, with basically no comedic relief or anything. I prefer atmospheric consistency above all else I think in any games I play. Basically, you can get away with any premise as long as it's handled realistically is what my preferences are.

well me personally I enjoy fates mostly for it's gameplay and characters. I mean the story may be god awful but a good number of the characters I feel are at least decently written. They're fun, quirky, and all around pleasant I suppose. Really it's just a matter if the game can get me to care about the characters. It doesn't matter if the story is simple so long as I have a character or two I can latch on to.

1 hour ago, Otts486 said:

well me personally I enjoy fates mostly for it's gameplay and characters. I mean the story may be god awful but a good number of the characters I feel are at least decently written. They're fun, quirky, and all around pleasant I suppose. Really it's just a matter if the game can get me to care about the characters. It doesn't matter if the story is simple so long as I have a character or two I can latch on to.

I see...so it's about the characters and if there's any you'll grow attached to or appeal to you. That doesn't sound too different to what I like in fire emblem, only for me, the story needs to be more complex as well as the characters being well written. What I love about three houses so far is that it seems to be a mix between both styles of fire emblem...

5b76f40ca638d_2018-08-1717_13_14-MicrosoftEdge.png.8d5f15a82ed8dc9008661d4ef03a0d11.png
This seems to be suggesting that there'll be an avatar again...but on the other hand, this could be another type of character that's more defined, but you can still make choices for them, like Geralt from The Witcher 3 who's a defined character, but the game still gives you a lot of freedom in both the story and gameplay.

Another thing to bare in mind is...where is the female version of the avatar? If three houses was really going to have another avatar exactly like in fates, then surely we'd see both genders in gameplay right? That's what happened when fates was introduced (although they didn't explicitly say they were the avatar then either).

All this makes me hopeful we'll get the Geralt of fire emblem for FE 16...which I think would be pretty interesting.

16 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

In regards to my faith in IntSys, well, you see, I listed Fates as my favorite but I've basically loved every Fire Emblem game I've played so far, which is every entry in the series except for Tellius because I never owned a Wii, sadly. Genealogy, Sacred Stones and Mystery/New Mystery are also at the top for me, and I believe people see these three and Fates as completely different games. It is because I've liked all of them from FE1 to FE15 minus the two I didn't play, that I don't worry too much about 3H.

As for what I love about FE, it's because it's a game about wars and political conflicts (I love these) in which your whole army consists not of generic units but of characters with a particular name, appearance, personality, background, and skills, and the fact you'll really lose them forever if they die in battle. I know there are other games that are similar in that respect, but FE was the first one I played that was like that. Also, tactical rpg is my favorite game genre.

As for why Fates is my favorite; I actually never played Birthright, so I can't say anything about that one, but I played Conquest and then Revelation. And it was simply that I had so much fun  with the maps and level of dificulty in both of them, I had a crazy good time playing all the chapters in both. Storytelling isn't Fire Emblem's forte as a whole (this is just my opinion, anyway), but I like it when there's drama, blood and very dark stuff (like in Genealogy), so I liked that about it too.

Edited by Chopper...
Grammar...

1 hour ago, Landmaster said:

Always good to have some positivity!

I am of course waiting in anticipation to see my new round of husbandos!

Speaking of husbandos...what do you think of characters like Soren? I quite like him as through his Ike supports you find out why he has his cold, brutally honest personality, and why he looks up to Ike so much. It's quite tragic what happened to him and I found him more relatable than a lot of Fe characters.

18 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

Speaking of husbandos...what do you think of characters like Soren? I quite like him as through his Ike supports you find out why he has his cold, brutally honest personality, and why he looks up to Ike so much. It's quite tragic what happened to him and I found him more relatable than a lot of Fe characters.

I've unfortunately never had the pleasure of playing through Radiant Dawn myself (have seen playthroughs, though). But as for characters of his personality, I like them. I like characters that are harsh and cold if they have reasons and it's not just to be Edgy AF for the sake of it. And I adore his relationship with Ike and how much he trusts him and wants to fight by his side (I love bromace duos like this) so I do hope we see more of this type of personality in Three Houses~

9 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

I've unfortunately never had the pleasure of playing through Radiant Dawn myself (have seen playthroughs, though). But as for characters of his personality, I like them. I like characters that are harsh and cold if they have reasons and it's not just to be Edgy AF for the sake of it. And I adore his relationship with Ike and how much he trusts him and wants to fight by his side (I love bromace duos like this) so I do hope we see more of this type of personality in Three Houses~

Yeah I fully agree! And if three houses could have something like base conversations then that'd be even better! If they use base convos to their advantage, we could get a fire emblem game where nearly every character feels relevant.

Edited by Dinar87

7 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

Yeah I fully agree! And if three houses could have something like base conversations then that'd be even better! If they use base convos to their advantage, we could get a fire emblem game where nearly every character feels relevant.

Yeah I really like Base Convos, I like it when it feels like every character somehow has importance which I think a good portion of games do well, so I hope they can pull it off for Three Houses, too~

So how I feel, I’ll be honest, I love the marriage system, I won’t be distraught if they don’t include it, I’m in it for the strategy in the end but I’ve always had a love for video games that included dating/marriage.

also I always enjoy darker themes tbh, I only got to play awakening, fates, path of radiance, and echoes, but I have slightly looked into other games, I don’t know if this is dark to others but something that always stuck with me is the story behind Orson’s wife and her reanimation and also the story behind the Nohrian Court wars, the only thing is that we had to discover that ourselves and it wasn’t apart of the main story so.

As far as I'm aware, there's been no hints of the marriage system returning. I think it's too early to make assumptions.

I have to admit though, I love what we've seen so far, and I have only one request - please let Byleth be his own full fledged character, not an avatar. I want to see him in cutscenes, I want to hear other characters say his name. His name, especially, is very important for me. It has connections to a demon, I believe. It's too good to pass up. I love his design, and he's my favourite out of the four main characters.

As for anything else...I'm really not picky when it comes to FE. It's my favourite franchise, and while I may question some of IS' decisions, I'll eat up anything they give me. ...Could have worded that better.

I'd rather not have the marriage system and child mechanics return. The basis of Three Houses so far seems to be a school. Byleth is the trio's teacher. I've seen enough anime and the like to know that this can go horribly wrong. I think Echoes' support system should return, just increase the amount and don't lock some of the best ones behind DLC. I do prefer quality over quantity, so let's not have everyone support with everyone like Awakening and Fates did. Both games had some amazing supports, but a lot of them just didn't flow, some were very tropey like Chrom x Female Robin, and some got butchered like Saizo x Beruka's C Support.

Overall, with rumours flying about a September Direct, I'm willing to bet that we will get another trailer very soon.