I have to say, I'm not longer so pessimistic about Three Houses...

Dinar87

I wasn't pessimistic(for now anyway) but I feel I'll enjoy this game love my customizable Avatars in games(hopefully Byleth will be a great Avatar protagonist) and marriages(as long as its written very well and limit non-avatar pair choices that'll make it better but of course NO 2nd gens at all) I also second wanting Persona like supports so I can't wait to see more! Of course I want the story to be good too that fully delivers this time! I just want more info at this point nothing story dumping but more interesting stuff since this'll be a brutal wait especially since ONE trailer alone definitely won't cut it at all.....

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

On 8/17/2018 at 11:18 AM, Dinar87 said:

Another thing to bare in mind is...where is the female version of the avatar?

Maybe they are taking inspiration from the Persona series

On 8/3/2018 at 8:46 AM, Etheus said:

I've been optimistic since the beginning. I'm hoping for something akin to Tellius or GBA map design with some of the newer Echoes mechanics and SMT/Persona style supports.

I did not like Echoes as a game at all because of Gaiden's shitacular map designs (the most important thing to get right in a FE game), but I did enjoy the way it handled weapon skills, magic, archers, and exploration mechanics. These new mechanics in particular would be welcome additions to 3H or any other new FE game.

I myself actually liked a few of the maps. Just a few. Nuibaba's Abode and Duma Gate come to mind specifically. I don't think I've had as much fun coming up with a strategy for an FE map as I did for the former, and few left me with such vivid memory of the strategy I used.

Edited by Arcphoenix

6 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Maybe they are taking inspiration from the Persona series

I myself actually liked a few of the maps. Just a few. Nuibaba's Abode and Duma Gate come to mind specifically. I don't think I've had as much fun coming up with a strategy for an FE map as I did for the former, and few left me with such vivid memory of the strategy I used.

Nuibaba's Abode was one of the few maps I actually used a strategy for - and that strategy was literally just Warp Alm in, Double Lion, Rescue Alm out, while peppering foes with bows until everything died. It wasn't exactly what I'd consider fun.

I don't remember Duma Gate being anything special.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Nuibaba's Abode was one of the few maps I actually used a strategy for - and that strategy was literally just Warp Alm in, Double Lion, Rescue Alm out, while peppering foes with bows until everything died. It wasn't exactly what I'd consider fun.

If you had Faye classed as anything else, say a pegasus knight for example, it's a very, very different level.

Mainly avoiding ranged foes, sniping the inside as much as possible, sneaking around the back, drawing out some foes with tanky units, butchering them, and finally blitzkreiging the inside without any units dying.

For me, most FE maps are usually get to the other side, try to make sure exp gains stay relatively balanced, kill any nonrecruitable reds, don't put a character in a situation beyond their limits, and remember the weapon triangle. Usually, that just works out without needing much planning. I'd like to see a few more maps where just going in without a plan doesn't always work out the best. Not that I dislike playing through maps casually.

On Three Houses, I can't wait until it releases. Well, I guess I have to and I sure don't want the devs releasing a game too early, lol.

I kind of wish we had more info to go on than the trailer.

From what's shown in the trailer, I have hopes and expectations that the story will be more interesting than Fates and Awakening.

Edited by Arcphoenix

Although I enjoyed the 3DS trilogy, I feel that those games left a lot to be desired. From Awakening onwards it feels like the FE series has had a major identity crisis, whether to retain its ethos as a stoic War Epic series or to use the tropes and cliches of its weaker contemporaries. The overuse of the latter has really started to bore me with its seemly endless use of fanservice and embrace of waifu culture in lieu of strong storytelling and characters. Perhaps it is just me but nowadays I’m more interested in wanting to read the works of Karl Edward Wagner rather then being hyped for a new entry in my favorite video game series of all time.

Edited by Wraith

With my (so far) positive optimism I'm just waiting for a bit more info at this point. Judging from this board's um........inactivity it's very apparent as well although I can obviously see why the hype is dead atm. At least there's stuff to play in the meantime till something even small surfaces in the coming months.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 12:10 AM, Chopper... said:

In regards to my faith in IntSys, well, you see, I listed Fates as my favorite but I've basically loved every Fire Emblem game I've played so far, which is every entry in the series except for Tellius because I never owned a Wii, sadly. Genealogy, Sacred Stones and Mystery/New Mystery are also at the top for me, and I believe people see these three and Fates as completely different games. It is because I've liked all of them from FE1 to FE15 minus the two I didn't play, that I don't worry too much about 3H.

As for why Fates is my favorite; I actually never played Birthright, so I can't say anything about that one, but I played Conquest and then Revelation. And it was simply that I had so much fun  with the maps and level of dificulty in both of them, I had a crazy good time playing all the chapters in both. Storytelling isn't Fire Emblem's forte as a whole (this is just my opinion, anyway), but I like it when there's drama, blood and very dark stuff (like in Genealogy), so I liked that about it too.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. Conquest maps are amazing and provide the game with good replay value since they are still challenging even when you know how to beat them.

If anyone's still reading this board, then I'd like to share with you my current thoughts on this game, beyond just desperately wanting some new info on the game soon.

Long story short; I want Fire emblem:Path of radiance 3 in terms of linear gameplay and world building, so basically a spiritual successor to it. Echoes was fantastic for me, but I'd like them to take everything further with three houses =)

Anyone else have any new thoughts on the game?

Edited by Dinar87

I'm honestly not super excited to get and play Three Houses, and I'm kinda... reserving judgment as much as I can before I ever get a chance to play the game.

That might be a while yet though, since I need to buy a switch first and have other priorities on what to spend my money on.

And even if I bought a switch, I might buy other games on the Switch first before Three Houses regardless (Super Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, Breath of the Wild...)

Who knows, maybe Three Houses will be a phenomenal FE game that's worth getting a Switch for alone.

Edited by Kedata