I've finally made peace with a demon I've been wrestling with for 14 years.

Slumber

MCR is was a good band, and probably the last decent rock band to hit it big in the mainstream. The Black Parade is a great album.

The me of back then would hate me now.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

Guns n Roses is trash

I mostly agree. I actually think pretty much most hair metal is downright abysmal, and that there's a reason it really only lives on nowadays in parody form. 

Motley Crüe is arguably the only band that goes so far over the top that they loop around and become enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Arctic Monkeys are from after MCR and are better than them

go listen to fucking Humbug

Look, when I say "hit it big in the mainstream", I mean SUPER mainstream. The Arctic Monkeys are big, but their chart topping success wasn't as big, and their success was spread between what? 2007/2008-2013? MCR was HUGE and all condensed between about 2005-2007.

PS: I enjoy the Arctic Monkeys a lot. 

PPS: I know the dude who owned the cat and dog in your avatar, and I'm good friends with the guy who currently owns the cat. 

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

PPS: I know the dude who owned the cat and dog in your avatar, and I'm good friends with the guy who currently owns the cat. 

Hah, that's awesome, I love this picture.

why did the original owner get rid of the cat? Did he murder someone?

45 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Hah, that's awesome, I love this picture.

why did the original owner get rid of the cat? Did he murder someone?

No, he moved from Texas to California, and he was living somewhere that wouldn't allow cats. So he dropped it off at a mutual friend of ours in New Mexico on the drive over. 

38 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

I thought this was going to be something else completely. Anyway, my music recommendation will always be Yuzo Koshiro. Amazing composer. 

I deliberately made the topic seem like something else. I was actually going to make the title and body much more dire and elaborate before just saying I think MCR is pretty good. But I figure getting right to the point is better for FFtF. 

Okay, but do you like True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, and I Gave You My Bullets?

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

Okay, but do you like True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, and I Gave You My Bullets?

I like bits and pieces of Danger Days, but I feel like they were losing steam here and this album lacks a lot of the oomph and theatrics that makes their other 3 albums so fun to me.

I really like I Gave You My Bullets, but it's not quite as over the top as Three Cheers and TBP, though it's definitely way thrashier, which I can appreciate. And I think Three Cheers is actually just as good as Black Parade.

Edited by Slumber

7 hours ago, Darros said:

MCR has even been mainstream? News to me.

?

They sold like, 10 million albums in that brief period they were big, they were the face of emo music in the mid-00s back when it was all over the radio and MTV, and The Black Parade(The song) is the source of at least two memes that were all over the place back then.

And they're responsible for making marching bands even lamer.

Edited by Slumber

On 8/5/2018 at 5:44 PM, Darros said:

MCR has even been mainstream? News to me.

they really were, from what I could tell

back when I watched music channels on tv, they just casually popped up with other mainstream rock music videos quite often

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, Slumber said:

MCR is was a good band, and probably the last decent rock band to hit it big in the mainstream. The Black Parade is a great album.

The me of back then would hate me now.

Is that it? Talk about lame...

16 hours ago, Roxas said:

can we talk about the tragedy that was the conventional weapons hype only for us to be let down with a breakup

Thankfully I was still in denial back then, so I didn't have to be crushed about this.

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Is that it? Talk about lame...

Look. Middle school and high school were rough for me because of MCR. I got super into heavy metal and hard rock in 2003ish and started growing my hair out. It turns out that I looked exactly like a tiny version of Gerard Way when MCR started getting big and there was a huge backlash against emo.

For the rest of middle school, random dudes would give me shit about it, random girls would scream at the top of their lungs at me because of it. By high school, I hated it so much that I was the person everyone turned to every time emo music was brought up. I became the anti-emo/MCR guy. Even after Gerard cut and dyed his hair and we looked nothing alike, I had to keep it up until after high school.

I've finally come to terms with this.

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

Look. Middle school and high school were rough for me because of MCR. I got super into heavy metal and hard rock in 2003ish and started growing my hair out. It turns out that I looked exactly like a tiny version of Gerard Way when MCR started getting big and there was a huge backlash against emo.

For the rest of middle school, random dudes would give me shit about it, random girls would scream at the top of their lungs at me because of it. By high school, I hated it so much that I was the person everyone turned to every time emo music was brought up. I became the anti-emo/MCR guy. Even after Gerard cut and dyed his hair and we looked nothing alike, I had to keep it up until after high school.

I've finally come to terms with this.

It would have been really nice of you to have put this in your original post. Then I would have been more understanding then I was earlier.

On 8/6/2018 at 2:22 AM, Slumber said:

?

They sold like, 10 million albums in that brief period they were big, they were the face of emo music in the mid-00s back when it was all over the radio and MTV, and The Black Parade(The song) is the source of at least two memes that were all over the place back then.

And they're responsible for making marching bands even lamer.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:35 PM, Freohr Datia said:

they really were, from what I could tell

back when I watched music channels on tv, they just casually popped up with other mainstream rock music videos quite often

These make sense. I guess when I was thinking about "mainstream" music I was never really parsing it as rock - because I never really was thinking as rock as "mainstream". Like definitely "emo music" isn't something I'd ever associate with mainstream other than than like a song or two from MCR or Evanescance or Billy Talent I guess? Anyway this is new information which is pretty cool!

5 hours ago, Darros said:

These make sense. I guess when I was thinking about "mainstream" music I was never really parsing it as rock - because I never really was thinking as rock as "mainstream". Like definitely "emo music" isn't something I'd ever associate with mainstream other than than like a song or two from MCR or Evanescance or Billy Talent I guess? Anyway this is new information which is pretty cool!

Fall Out Boy, Panic at The Disco, post-00s AFI, Brand New and quite a few more emo/emo-tinged rock bands had big hits in the 00s.

Also Evanescence and especially Billy Talent aren't emo. I also don't recall Billy Talent having any big hits. 

Edited by Slumber

18 hours ago, Slumber said:

Fall Out Boy, Panic at The Disco, post-00s AFI, Brand New and quite a few more emo/emo-tinged rock bands had big hits in the 00s.

Also Evanescence and especially Billy Talent aren't emo. I also don't recall Billy Talent having any big hits. 

This is all music I like... never listened to and never really will, so that would explain why I got the genre wrong. I do know Fall out boy and Panic at the Disco but I always considered them much more poppy. Billy Talent is Canadian and the CRTC tries to shove "Canadian content" up our ass, so it was probably represented much more here.

9 hours ago, Darros said:

This is all music I like... never listened to and never really will, so that would explain why I got the genre wrong. I do know Fall out boy and Panic at the Disco but I always considered them much more poppy. Billy Talent is Canadian and the CRTC tries to shove "Canadian content" up our ass, so it was probably represented much more here.

Fall Out Boy was pop-punky and leaned hard into the smarmy irrereverence that mainstream emo thrived on, and picked up on some of the melancholy instrumentation and some of the hardcore-inspired instrumentation(Fall Out Boy had a Happy Tree Friends music video for crying out loud) of actual emo music. Panic, has and always probably will be, a Fall Out Boy copycat band. Whatever direction FOB goes, Panic will follow, and that includes the obnoxious pop they make today and the pretentious asshattery of their emo days in the mid-00s.

Keep in mind that none of these bands are truly "emo". They all just kind of flirt with it in one way or another. Even MCR isn't even all that emo. They stayed off as more of a soft hardcore punk band with thrash elements that just happened to be obsessed with the color black and corpse aesthetic/theatrics. By the time TBP came out, they were just a rock band with hints of their hardcore days here and there. Actual emo music is more along the lines of Sunny Day Real Estate, Saves the Day, Bayside, Cursive, etc. The closest the mainstream ever got to proper emo was Brand New, who were similar to MCR in that they were more of a hardcore band, but they were still much closer to emo. 

But as far as mainstream goes, all of these bands defined the "emo" sound, look and attitude of the 00s.

• 2 weeks later...

While we're going into this, I should mention the lineage of MCR goes back a bit. Their most immediate predecessors are the 90's punk bands (Good Charlotte, Sum 41, blink-182), which themselves stem from Green Day, and before them, we had stuff like The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, and so forth.