Advice for job interviews on the phone

EricaofRenais

So as the title says I would like advice on phone interviews.  I have started applying for jobs and the ones I have applied for stated that they would call me and do an interview on the phone if I was being considered.  So does anyone who has gone through this have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Prepare something like a note with things to say beforehand. It will help you if you are anything like me and forget things while in your interview.

Well, first things first. Make sure there isn't any noise in the backround. Practice speaking on a phone with other people by trying to find a suitable volume for your voice. Find the right amount of volume that isn't too quiet or loud when listening regularly or through speaker

Just put your best self forward. Be calm. Be collected. Be confident.  

Treat it like its a regular (albeit formal) conversation. Don't overthink it and get tripped up on nerves.  

_________

What field are you looking to go into and what kind of positions are you looking for? Whats your prior work and academic experience?

Beyond the aforementioned platitudes and truisms--that would affect the nature and substance of any deeper advice I'd give.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

18 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Just put your best self forward. Be calm. Be collected. Be confident.  

Treat it like its a regular (albeit formal) conversation. Don't overthink it and get tripped up on nerves.  

_________

What field are you looking to go into and what kind of positions are you looking for? Whats your prior work and academic experience?

Beyond the aforementioned platitudes and truisms--that would affect the nature and substance of any deeper advice I'd give.  

I am trying to get a job at a feed store or Walmart, so it would be entry level retail. I have an associate's degree but it is just a general one.  I can only apply to places I can walk or bike to since I don't have a car.  @Michelaar That is a good idea I will do that.  

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

Well, first things first. Make sure there isn't any noise in the backround. Practice speaking on a phone with other people by trying to find a suitable volume for your voice. Find the right amount of volume that isn't too quiet or loud when listening regularly or through speaker

I have been practicing talking on the phone and I have a quit place set up for it so I should be OK on the noise and volume level, but thanks for the reminder since I do need to keep that in mind.

Okayyy. Biggest thing in retail is customer service. People skills. Gotta be able to face-to-face with customers and service them pleasantly no matter how shitty your day is—again—main thing they’re going to be looking for is how approachable you seem in casual conversation. Don’t try to oversell yourself. You’re entry level—own it—if there’s something you don’t know how to do (i.e. operate a cash register) give ‘em the old i’ve never done that before, but I work hard and I’m a fast learner! Positive attitude. Natural demeanor. Oh; do make sure you have a better answer than because I have no car and it’s walking distance from my house when they ask why do you want to work here???

Edited by Shoblongoo

I have an in person interview at the end of the week at the feed store which is the job I am really hoping to get since I love animals.  I figured I would give an update.  Here's hoping I do well.

1. Check your apprehensions and doubts at the door.
  2. Give the interviewer a bright smile and a firm handshake.
  3. Show the interviewer that you have the gift of gab.
  4. OWN IT--as @Shoblongoo said.
  5. Make sure your body language exudes the confidence you wish to portray verbally.