New Heroes Coming: August 10th (Festival in Hoshido)

Coolmanio

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

It usually hurts to be disappointed. And you can't get disappointed if you didn't hope for anything.

You can hope and expect nothing. Then you get the best of both worlds. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Regarding the Hoshidan alt treatment. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There are 2 Sakuras and Elises, 2 Hinokas and Leos, 3 Ryomas and 4 Xanders, 4 Takumis and Camillas. Hoshidan royals are lacking 1 unit to balance the Fates royals alts

For me I think my problem is with the name of the banners and not for the characters, since:

We got Nohrian Summer festival with 3 of the Nohr siblings + Corrin that feels more Nohrian than anything (since Corrin spend more time in Nohr and well, doesn't remember anything of Hoshido or Valla)

Then we got finally a Hoshidan festival for New Year... With only 1 Hoshidan, 1 Nohrian and 1 vallite (because Azura has always remember her origins unlike Corrin, even if Azura prefer Hoshido) and yes I now Corrin was a reward here but is the same case of the female Corrin with the Nohrians, now again, we got another Hoshidan festival... and again, only 1 Hoshidan in the banner

That is my problem with representation. Why calling it "Hoshidan" if we only got 1 Hoshidan? If it was called only "Summer festival" I wouldn't feel like that, but since it have the word "Hoshidan" in it, is what it makes me feel I have a problem with it...

Probably a stupid reason, and it doesn't make me feel angry, but... it make me feel that Hoshido keeps being played dirty by IntSys, just think, we could at least have 2 Hoshidans here with 2 foreigners, but nop, only 1 Hoshidan... Similar with what happened with the kids festival DLC in Fates

Eeeeh, anyway, the characters still look freacking good and cute, I hope to get one, specially Elincia, but let's how is my luck with the banner, I feel I already wasted all my luck this year after getting the 3 characters I wanted in the previous banners, whitout suffering

2 minutes ago, SniperGYS said:

That is my problem with representation. Why calling it "Hoshidan" if we only got 1 Hoshidan? If it was called only "Summer festival" I wouldn't feel like that, but since it have the word "Hoshidan" in it, is what it makes me feel I have a problem with it...

The name of this banner is "Festival in Hoshido", which is a festival taking place in Hoshido, not a festival of Hoshidan people. It's an excuse to put people in traditional Japanese clothes.

The New Year banner was named "Happy New Year!", which literally has no mention of Hoshido in it.

24 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The name of this banner is "Festival in Hoshido", which is a festival taking place in Hoshido, not a festival of Hoshidan people. It's an excuse to put people in traditional Japanese clothes.

The New Year banner was named "Happy New Year!", which literally has no mention of Hoshido in it.

That's right.

People like to find something to complain... like some players complaining about Legendary Lucina using a bow...

There actually might be some weird logic behind Xander on this banner. His japanese VA Katsuyuki Konishi voices old man Kita Kita (who is a...dancer) in new adaptation of Mahoujin Guru Guru and as far as I know the guy is a huge ancient meme in Japan. They just didn't want to miss that chance.

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Huh, I thought it was both.

The fact that this banner, which introduces two colored dagger users without any forewarning, has a normal number of upvotes and downvotes on its trailer videos supports the hypothesis that the primary source of backlash is with the number of alts and not the type of equipment they have.

We'll see if that continues to hold true when Legendary Xander is released, as that would end up being his fifth version, as well (granted, zero of his versions are available in the normal summoning pool).

There really are too many confounding variables, though, but we'll see.

7 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

We get a new banner every 2 weeks. The next banner will happen in the last week of August. 2017's Brave Heroes banner started on August 31st, so maybe CYL 2 will be the next banner

The PA banner happened when everyone was expecting a Halloween banner. I believe September will have CYL, like last month (hoping for a 1 month banner this time). Maybe the Halloween Banner will happen early this year, starting early or mid October, with a new heroes banner, with a story chapter, happening in Mid September.

I'm sure we'll get CYL2 soon, but that's not a seasonal banner.

The Halloween banner will likely be around October 20.

4 hours ago, Cat Villager said:

There actually might be some weird logic behind Xander on this banner. His japanese VA Katsuyuki Konishi voices old man Kita Kita (who is a...dancer) in new adaptation of Mahoujin Guru Guru and as far as I know the guy is a huge ancient meme in Japan. They just didn't want to miss that chance.

If this is true, it's hilarious.  I'm always up to support a good meme, and we have Dorcas!

So I'm surprised that we didn't get any notifications about Colored Daggers like we did with Dragons and Bows. Although, recently I did notice that Daggerbreaker specifically mentioned that it was effective against Colorless Daggers, so I was a bit curious. I wonder when that got updated.

Anyways, on to actual banner opinions:
I figured they'd go with the "X Festival/Generic Celebration" thing like they did with the Performers Banner last year.

Overall, the goods definitely outweigh the bads. Xander got his 3rd Seasonal alt and we've got a couple Fates/Awakening characters but it's not complete pandering. As happy as I am to see more Tellius alts, I'm honestly happier to see the gender balance is back to 50:50 again. They may not be my type of husbando material, but the balance is still much appreciated.

Personal unit thoughts:
Xander. He is the epitome of fodder, in every sense of the word. Between an effective dagger, a counter skill, QR and a new wave skill, he's prime skill fodder. Having a third seasonal alt makes him complaint fodder. And that freakin' dance makes him meme fodder. I care for him least of the four, but I gotta say he's pretty entertaining, in his own way.
Ryoma. He now has a proper seasonal alt. Hinoka when?
Elincia. something something Tellius bias. Also, another chance at Atk/Spd Push, so that's nice too."
Micaiah. She seems to be a more offensively oriented version of vanilla Micky. Plus she can dance. It's nice that she's a different color, too. It makes for great effective coverage since the prevalence of Greens still leaves a few problems for Blue Micaiah.

Edited by Kurrin

19 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is a video game with Estival in its title- Senran Kagura: Estival Versus. But given it is title partly in Japanese, by a Japanese company, and a beat 'em up which finds its gameplay overshadowed by its... other things, I would understand how one could think that was a made up word.

I didn't even think it was until pointed out here.

Ike is pretty straight-laced, if not totally against fun, he has his moments where he is relaxed and sort of casual, namely his PoR Ranulf and Reyson supports I think. Xander, if straight-laced, comes from Afatening, where the series arguably became a bit more unrestrained in goofiness.

Sooner or later, Ike will get a Seasonal. How he'll act, who knows?

You're right Xander is a very straight laced, serious character in Fates but the game has all that Summer DLC and fanservice so they feel free to go wild with him.  Maybe all that pressure of being Crown Prince of Nohr disappears when he is thrust into another world, deep down he wants to dance, wield giant carrots.  He is confident enough to be a grown man wearing a floatie as well.  This might be the real Xander, if he was free of royal responsibilities.

Ike seasonal, hmm...I guess groom Ike is respectable, we did get groom Marth another character they don't seem to want to give crazy costumes.  

Lyn/Lucina outrage was mostly for 5th version.  If it was only the 2nd version (1st alt) I don't think there would be nearly as much hostility if any.  Lyn does wield bows in her promoted lord class, so really there would be nothing to criticize.  Lucina does not, so it would get some flak maybe but with Female Grima as a legendary hero, probably not much.

Note this banner was being super hated on until the trailer dropped and we found out Tellius units would be on it.  Tellius is something treasured by many old school fans, and love trumps hate.  As in if there is a unit(s) you really love on a banner that is going to make you happy even if there are units you dislike or even hate on the banner.  Particularly in this game where you can snipe per color.  

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

We'll see if that continues to hold true when Legendary Xander is released, as that would end up being his fifth version, as well (granted, zero of his versions are available in the normal summoning pool).

That seems really, really odd. To be so commonplace, yet never permanently available. At least Camus has his amnesiac and masquerading selves that could go into the standard pool.

Either they should end his GHB self as a GHB, or give a 6th Xander. Or they can pull a page from Project X Zone and make two-character units, Brave Veronica that uses Xander to attack or something. Veronica is the one that gets hurt and is the "lead" character who gets pounded on when attacked, while Xander is more just the weapon, but is still in the voice quips and artwork.

5 hours ago, Azuni said:

Just a shame they're all infantry, might have gone ham on them if there was an Armor dancer or Horse dancer. Guess there's always next year.

This wouldn't have been a bad chance to slap someone on one of those ridable Mechanist puppets from Fates. Yukimura Mori isn't going to get in for some years.

1 hour ago, Kurrin said:

So I'm surprised that we didn't get any notifications about Colored Daggers like we did with Dragons and Bows. Although, recently I did notice that Daggerbreaker specifically mentioned that it was effective against Colorless Daggers, so I was a bit curious. I wonder when that got updated.

The colorless breath and colored bows notifications coincided with the release of the major version updates that programmed them into the game and added them to lists of weapon types. Because major version updates are currently around the 10th of each month while legendary heroes are at the end, that preceded the actual releases by about three weeks. That isn't the case this time, because they're being released immediately with the major update. It's like how colorless breath was revealed in Chrom's trailer through his weapon's description before the notification went up.

The "colorless daggers" specification was added a while ago, I believe around November.

3 hours ago, Othin said:

I'm sure we'll get CYL2 soon, but that's not a seasonal banner.

The Halloween banner will likely be around October 20.

I didn't say that CYL banner is a seasonal banner. I said I believe CYL 2 will be at the same time that CYL happened: late August/early September. The next banner after "Festival in Hoshido" will be in the last week of August and it's a good time for Brave Heroes, although having CYL and the Legendary Hero Banner at the same time is not a good idea...

Also,  Brave Heroes Banner is considered a New Heroes Banner, but it has a paralogue instead of story chapter.

For those of you interested, the datamine is already happening, and the stats are here:

Spoiler

lv_1__40_festival_in_hoshido.png
I'm pretty happy with the stat distribution for Xander and Micaiah. High ATK + High DEF or RES works for them. Ryoma doesn't seem that bad either, but Elincia's ATK is pretty low. Not too sure how she'll fare against dragons...

Spoiler

Stats are as expected of dancers. Micaiah and Xander will probably use their base skillsets well, but Elincia will likely struggle to dent dragons even with effectiveness, though using dancers for combat isn't exactly optimal.

42 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

For those of you interested, the datamine is already happening, and the stats are here:

Hide contents

lv_1__40_festival_in_hoshido.png
I'm pretty happy with the stat distribution for Xander and Micaiah. High ATK + High DEF or RES works for them. Ryoma doesn't seem that bad either, but Elincia's ATK is pretty low. Not too sure how she'll fare against dragons...

Xander and Micaiah are a little to slow for my taste, and make their Def/Res rather useless. Elincia’s Atk is rather low. Ryoma seems to be the best one of te bunch.

21 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

They still missed the chance to make Est a truly Estival Dancer.

oh man...

21 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

I feel the same, and I voiced my complaints earlier in this thread. Although I don't think it was IS's intentions to make Hoshidan fans feel salty, it really does feel like a slap in the face that anything with the "Hoshidan ____" name has only one Hoshidan and an obligatory Nohrian on it. And Halloween Sakura was also accompanied by a Nohrian.

yeah, as much as i like this banner, and having only played Conquest so don't really care much about the Hoshidan crew, i felt a bit salty about this. 

that aside, i love dancer banners. they're always so pretty :eyes: the art is really good too. for once in my life i have orbs saved up and i'm thankful so i can pour them into this'un. please give me the luck i had on the last PA banner where i got 3/4 of them...

i feel like coloured daggers are better than bows (i skimmed and as was said no access to Firesweep and Brave plays a part) but also that generally daggers have weak firepower so giving a colour advantage allows more kill potential and survivability. which isn't necessarily what daggers are supposed to be for i guess, but /shrugs

Spoiler

Well, they're ranged dancers so it's not like I was expecting them to have great stats. Micaiah can do a number to the myriad of Hectors and M!Grima with her high Atk and that's all I'd ask from her. She can also offer Ploy support with her Res, but that's about it.

Xander looks like the prime EP dagger, thankfully his kit is perfect for him so no issues there. Just keep him away from any dragon/mage.

Ryoma is the best one statwise. He wants to be completely offensive and his spread works wonderfully for this (Sothe is still better but Ryoma has added utility). At least he'll hit hard if the chance arrives.

Poor Elincia is the PA!Olivia of this banner. Fast but frail and with mediocre Atk. She won't be doing anything to dragons without windsweep so just keep her as a pure dancer. I'll still roll for her but she's...not great.

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

Reveal hidden contents

Xander and Micaiah are a little to slow for my taste, and make their Def/Res rather useless. Elincia’s Atk is rather low. Ryoma seems to be the best one of te bunch.

Spoiler

I'm actually not mad with min-maxed Xander and Micaiah. Xander's stats are perfect for his Close Counter + QR base kit. You could DEF stack him pretty easily with his C skill. Slap on a DEF refine for his dagger, and non-magic units will probably have a hard time taking him out without getting a bonfire to the face. I'm a little more iffy on Micaiah since I'm not a huge fan of slow RES tanks...and she keeps with the trend new red tome units seem to be following, but her ATK is decent enough that I'm not too worried. With Dawn Suzu, she essentially has 37 base ATK. Ryoma will definitely be the most flexible of the bunch... Elincia may be able to run a watersweep build...

But at the end of the day, they're all dancers with low BST, but they'll be useful regardless.

5 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:
  Hide contents

I'm actually not mad with min-maxed Xander and Micaiah. Xander's stats are perfect for his Close Counter + QR base kit. You could DEF stack him pretty easily with his C skill. Slap on a DEF refine for his dagger, and non-magic units will probably have a hard time taking him out without getting a bonfire to the face. I'm a little more iffy on Micaiah since I'm not a huge fan of slow RES tanks...and she keeps with the trend new red tome units seem to be following, but her ATK is decent enough that I'm not too worried. With Dawn Suzu, she essentially has 37 base ATK. Ryoma will definitely be the most flexible of the bunch... Elincia may be able to run a watersweep build...

But at the end of the day, they're all dancers with low BST, but they'll be useful regardless.

Normally I would agree that his kit is useful and his Bonfire will certainly be powerful, most of physical units that have decent speed and atk will kill very easily. And Raven tomes utterly destroys him, even though they’re not common. And what’s with Heroes and making Red mages Res tanks? Leo, Summer Leo, Arvis, Julius, Canas, Sanaki, Winter Tharja for example.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Reveal hidden contents

Normally I would agree that his kit is useful and his Bonfire will certainly be powerful, most of physical units that have decent speed and atk will kill very easily. And Raven tomes utterly destroys him, even though they’re not common. And what’s with Heroes and making Red mages Res tanks? Leo, Summer Leo, Arvis, Julius, Canas, Sanaki, Winter Tharja for example.

Spoiler

Keeping him away from mages is kind of a must. Saying he has poor performance aganst -raven mages is kind of like saying Grima has poor performance against Falchion users. Xander's not going to do any game breaking, but with the limited BST ranged dancers have to begin with, making SPD and RES his dump stats was probably a good call to at least set him apart from the others. Trying to balance out his RES or SPD probably would have made him a little too similar to Ryoma...