New Heroes Coming: August 10th (Festival in Hoshido)

Coolmanio

Internally warring whether I should try to pull for Xander to sacrifice him for Close Counter or continuing hibernating Orbs until Halloween Nowi and Sakura inevitably get rereleased~ C____C

I don't want to get greedy since I've already got Micaiah and she was the only unit I really wanted, the struggle is real~

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

(then again, Raven has a sword in his official Heroes artwork yet uses axes so who knowswhwt the decision making process is.

Characters with swords in their artwork that they don't actually use:

• Jagen
  • Catria
  • Est (probably too long to be just a knife)
  • Camus
  • Lachesis
  • Reinhardt
  • Olwen
  • Zephiel
  • Eliwood (idle art only, it seems)
  • Legendary Lyn
  • Raven
  • Linus

Characters with other weapons in their artwork that they don't actually use:

• Sword Reinhardt (Dire Thunder on his belt)
  • Several Nohrian characters with knives on their belts

3 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Internally warring whether I should try to pull for Xander to sacrifice him for Close Counter or continuing hibernating Orbs until Halloween Nowi and Sakura inevitably get rereleased~ C____C

I don't want to get greedy since I've already got Micaiah and she was the only unit I really wanted, the struggle is real~

Did you already use your free Takumi? And what unit you plan to give Close Counter? Depending of the unit, kill Xander for the skill can be a good idea. I killed a Hector to give my Roy DC and I don't regret it. Although, Festival Xander is a good unit.

Also, now that you mentioned Halloween Nowi and Sakura... we didn't get a rerun of Permorming Arts. I am sure IS would not want to have 8 dancers available at the same time...

I don't have Halloween Sakura or Halloween Jakob, so I am going full colorless in the banner rerun. I need the armored archer and dagger valor.

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Did you already use your free Takumi? And what unit you plan to give Close Counter? Depending of the unit, kill Xander for the skill can be a good idea. I killed a Hector to give my Roy DC and I don't regret it. Although, Festival Xander is a good unit.

Also, now that you mentioned Halloween Nowi and Sakura... we didn't get a rerun of Permorming Arts. I am sure IS would not want to have 8 dancers available at the same time...

I don't have Halloween Sakura or Halloween Jakob, so I am going full colorless in the banner rerun. I need the armored archer and dagger valor.

No, I've still got him. I actually don't have a unit specifically in mind, which is why I haven't even used Takumi yet, I just think it'd be good to have for when I eventually decide who to use it on. And I do like him as a unit, too, which is why I'd then probably have to go for two and I severely doubt my luck in that case, LEL~

I had expected they'd have released the Performing Arts again but I'm surprised the haven't, but I agree, all those dancers would be kinda overkill at one time~

I lowkey need all of the Halloween Units LOL, that banner's gonna kill me worse than the Summer ones

2 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

No, I've still got him. I actually don't have a unit specifically in mind, which is why I haven't even used Takumi yet, I just think it'd be good to have for when I eventually decide who to use it on. And I do like him as a unit, too, which is why I'd then probably have to go for two and I severely doubt my luck in that case, LEL~

I had expected they'd have released the Performing Arts again but I'm surprised the haven't, but I agree, all those dancers would be kinda overkill at one time~

I lowkey need all of the Halloween Units LOL, that banner's gonna kill me worse than the Summer ones

I gave Close Counter to my LA! Roy, and with his Guard Bow and Close Def seal, he is a great unit reaching 36 Def/Res during enemy phase, 42 if he has access to Fortify Cavalry, 48 with Nanna's Ward Cavalry and because she is LA!Roy's Support. Others units I would probably give Close Counter would be Halloween Jakob and maybe Faye. If Faye was a 4* unit, I would +10 her.

21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

• Jagen
  • Catria
  • Camus
  • Lachesis
  • Reinhardt
  • Olwen
  • Zephiel
  • Legendary Lyn
  • Raven
  • Linus

At least Zephiel and Eliwood are sword units in FEH. The others having a sword in their art is weird.

Also, I have some problems with Reinhardt..."In battle, a mage-knight should be equipped with more than just magic", but "isn't magic everything"?

If the goal was to summon just any random 5-star unit, then I've succeeded. I've had my pity rate broken twice, once by Elise and once by Brave Lyn. They were both used for merging. I also got a Hoshidan Summer Xander, but he has awful IVs. I'm hoping to summon another Xander with better IVs, and then use the bad IVs one as Close Counter fodder for my Valentine Lyn.

12 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

If the goal was to summon just any random 5-star unit, then I've succeeded. I've had my pity rate broken twice, once by Elise and once by Brave Lyn. They were both used for merging. I also got a Hoshidan Summer Xander, but he has awful IVs. I'm hoping to summon another Xander with better IVs, and then use the bad IVs one as Close Counter fodder for my Valentine Lyn.

I would love to had my pity rate broken by a Elise, because I want her. I got Female Kana in this banner, and this made me angry because last month I tried to get Summer Elise/Xander in the Nohrin Summer rerun and Female Kana appeared too! 2 unwanted Female Kanas...

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

At least Zephiel and Eliwood are sword units in FEH. The others having a sword in their art is weird.

The point was that Zephiel and Eliwood are both carrying an extra sword that goes unused.

The other point was what @Humanoid mentioned. Various characters carry side arms in their arts, and swords happen to be popular (and historically accurate) options.

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Also, I have some problems with Reinhardt..."In battle, a mage-knight should be equipped with more than just magic", but "isn't magic everything"?

"Magic is everything" is and always will be a mistranslation.

Edited by Ice Dragon

6 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

What was it originally

The line in Japanese is "魔道のすべてを", which translates as "[I strike you with] all of my magecraft". The part in brackets is inferred because Japanese allows you to omit parts of a sentence that can be inferred from context. The general feel of the line is along the lines of "This is everything I have, now eat it".

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The line in Japanese is "魔道のすべてを", which translates as "[I strike you with] all of my magecraft". The part in brackets is inferred because Japanese allows you to omit parts of a sentence that can be inferred from context. The general feel of the line is along the lines of "This is everything I have, now eat it".

I guess that line, if translated a bit more closely to the original version, would've been very similar to one of the other lines he already got.

Not sure how you logically get "magic is everything" from that, though.

EDIT: Also, the statement about omitting parts of a sentence inferable from context seems to be similar to Korean.

Edited by Sunwoo

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

EDIT: Also, the statement about omitting parts of a sentence inferable from context seems to be similar to Korean.

Most languages let you do this, but to different degrees.

English still lets you do it in very limited cases, such as an inferred subject in an interrogative sentence. "Want to take a break?" is a grammatically complete sentence with an inferred subject of "you". However, because English doesn't have a built in way to indicate the identity of missing parts of a sentence easily, there isn't much you can drop on a regular basis. I mean, yes, I do knock on one of my coworker's doors and simply ask "Food?" everyday when going to lunch, but that's not generally considered a grammatically complete sentence.

Spanish, for example, conjugates verbs differently by person (first-person, second-person, and third-person) and number (singular and plural), which promotes the ability to drop the subject of a sentence when it is already known from context. However, you aren't able to drop the verb.

Japanese has "words" that mark parts of a sentence, which allows you do omit large portions of sentences, including the subject and main verb, if they can be easily inferred. In the example, the "を" at the end marks the preceding phrase, "all of [my] magecraft" (I forgot to indicate earlier that the "my" here is also inferred), as the sentence's direct object, and in combination with the context (Reinhardt attacking someone with a Special skill), provides a short enough list of likely verb candidates with similar meanings that the verb can simply be omitted.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

• Jagen
  • Catria
  • Camus
  • Lachesis
  • Reinhardt
  • Olwen
  • Zephiel
  • Legendary Lyn
  • Raven
  • Linus

The thing that makes Raven the most egregious example is that he actually uses swords as his primary weapon in his own game. Most other examples swords are their backup weapon or they have an alt with swords already. Here they just changed his artwork but lifted his design nite for note. I can get why they did it given the number of axe users in the game (though I would have preferred say..Echidna), but it's just weird they left the sword so obviously present.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

How could you translate that while still keeping it short enough to fit the alloted time for such a quote though.

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

The thing that makes Raven the most egregious example is that he actually uses swords as his primary weapon in his own game. Most other examples swords are their backup weapon or they have an alt with swords already. Here they just changed his artwork but lifted his design nite for note. I can get why they did it given the number of axe users in the game (though I would have preferred say..Echidna), but it's just weird they left the sword so obviously present.

Lachesis and Linus still say hi, especially considering neither of them have the weapon type they actually use in Heroes visible in their idle art.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

How could you translate that while still keeping it short enough to fit the alloted time for such a quote though.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Lachesis and Linus still say hi, especially considering neither of them have the weapon type they actually use in Heroes visible in their idle art.

Lachesis at least has swords in Genealogy, but Raven has absolutely no connection to axes, like he can use them on promotion, but he's not really associated with them in any way. Linus is a straight case (though at least he can uses axes by default), provided that thing on his back is actually a sword and not just a second axe...

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

but Raven has absolutely no connection to axes, like he can use them on promotion, but he's not really associated with them in any way.

Lucius having a staff, Eliwood having a horse, and Hector being armored all say hi for this one.

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Lucius having a staff, Eliwood having a horse, and Hector being armored all say hi for this one.

Yeah Lucius' swap to staves is a bit odd (though unlike Raven they didn't keep a light tome around in his artwork at least), but I don't know what you mean by Hector and Eliwood. They are associated with a horse and armour respectively. Like, yeah they need to wait until promotion to get those properties (or be in Sword of Seals trial maps), but it's still something that is associated with their character. When you think Hector, thinking of an axe armoured  unit is what comes to mind, unlike Raven and axes; unless you just happen to really like axes on him after promotion for some reason. It'd be like if default Hector used swords instead of axes. I'm not sure if you're failing to grasp what I'm saying or if you're just being pedantic.

Edited by Jotari

44 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah Lucius' swap to staves is a bit odd (though unlike Raven they didn't keep a light tome around in his artwork at least), but I don't know what you mean by Hector and Eliwood. They are associated with a horse and armour respectively. Like, yeah they need to wait until promotion to get those properties (or be in Sword of Seals trial maps), but it's still something that is associated with their character. When you think Hector, thinking of an axe armoured  unit is what comes to mind, unlike Raven and axes; unless you just happen to really like axes on him after promotion for some reason. It'd be like if default Hector used swords instead of axes. I'm not sure if you're failing to grasp what I'm saying or if you're just being pedantic.

You could say the same for Eirika and Ephraim, though. Both of them gain horses on promotion, but neither of them are mounted in their original implementation in Heroes. EDIT: Seliph, too.

Whether or not Eliwood and Hector are more associated with their promoted classes is irrelevant to the simple fact that their original representation in Heroes is in their promoted class rather than their base class. (And whether or not they are more associated with their promoted classes than their base classes is also up to debate. I, for one, remember Eliwood as the infantry unit that needs serious babying for his first few chapters due to being neither strong enough to one-hit kill nor fast enough to double.)

Especially when they're forced to stay in their base class for so goddamn long on their own routes.

And at least using a weapon type they can only use after promotion is less strange than using a weapon type they have never been able to canonically use (e.g. Sheena, Narcian, Faye).

Edited by Ice Dragon

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You could say the same for Eirika and Ephraim, though. Both of them gain horses on promotion, but neither of them are mounted in their original implementation in Heroes. EDIT: Seliph, too.

Whether or not Eliwood and Hector are more associated with their promoted classes is irrelevant to the simple fact that their original representation in Heroes is in their promoted class rather than their base class. (And whether or not they are more associated with their promoted classes than their base classes is also up to debate. I, for one, remember Eliwood as the infantry unit that needs serious babying for his first few chapters due to being neither strong enough to one-hit kill nor fast enough to double.)

Especially when they're forced to stay in their base class for so goddamn long on their own routes.

And at least using a weapon type they can only use after promotion is less strange than using a weapon type they have never been able to canonically use (e.g. Sheena, Narcian, Faye).

Using promoted units with the weapon they get after promotion is a good solution to give the game some variety, or we would have way more sword units than we already have.

Faye is a unique case... because she cannot use bows in her game.

5 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Using promoted units with the weapon they get after promotion is a good solution to give the game some variety, or we would have way more sword units than we already have.

Faye is a unique case... because she cannot use bows in her game.

It's ironic, since Tobin was the one implied to be adept at archery. Faye should have been the game's first staff dancer.

32 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not saying characters need to or don't need to get their promoted atrbutes as their default representation in heroes. If Eirika or Ephraim or Seliph did appear as cavaliers to begin with, there wouldn't have been anything odd about that imo. Nor would there be anything odd about Eliwood being infantry. These are traits associated with the character, while Raven using axes isn't something that's exclusive to him, it's just and ability he has due to his class. Compare and contrast say Machyua, if she appears using axes I wouldn't find it as strange as Raven as she has a unique promotion compared to other swordfighters in Thracia that gives her axes (though if they still prominently featured a sword in her artwork then that would be strange). Lachesis which you've already brought up would be another example. If her defualt appearance  was based on Master Knight (somehow, not sure how they can work with single weapon types) that would make sense  as Master Knight is a Lachesis trait (but, say if they gave her a made up prf axe and ignored the Earth Sword, like they did with Olwen and her Green Time, then that'd be questionable). I'm not saying characters need to be based on their tier 1 or tier 2 appearance, just that the thing they focus on should make sense. And yes, characters using weapons they've never canonically have the ability to use is odd (I find it particularly strange in Narcian's case as, aside from Ashard, he's basically the only sword dragon unit in the series and even has a special weapon that could be a prf to boot, yet they chose to give him axes, which don't even visibly fit his build).

12 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

It's ironic, since Tobin was the one implied to be adept at archery. Faye should have been the game's first staff dancer.

That'd be weird given the stave abilities are an assist just like dance (I don't think stave users even had offensive skills when Faye was released). Though I suppose it could work if you have them a B skill that restores health when dancing.

Edited by Jotari

13 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

There is  possibility of having a alt Faye as a cleric, or even give "Anew" to Silque for some random reason. If Eirika can use Gleipnir, why not Silque using "Anew"?

But the FEH version of Anew would be a assist skill (Restore 10 HP [or 50% of Atk -10] and grants another action to target ally.), or a special skill (Cooldown: 3-5, after heal a ally, grants another action to target ally)?

Edited by Diovani Bressan

A refresh that has a cooldown isn't going to happen. I suspect they'd take the easiest route, with Anew just being a Dance/Sing clone with no special effect, then giving her a B skill that heals whenever dance is used. And everyone would unequip it for WoM because uncontrolled healing is bad.

As for the general topic I don't mind the non-canonicity of FEH implementation of heroes. I think it's fantastic that units such as Raven got converted over to cover for the glaring fast-axe niche for example, and I have no problem with Archer Faye. What matters though is that they should use the opportunity to make interesting units, and Tobin 100% fails that test. More conversions please. Leif really needed something else.