shut up, chrom is in smash ultimate

Re: The weirdo.

on a genuine note though, im glad that sakurai didn't do him dirty again, like sm4sh. im not even that big a fan of chrom, i just want even fUCKING MORE fire emblem representation for no good reason.

make sure to rally the hype.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy for Chrom. He's one of my favorite FE lords (possibly even more so than Ike, now that I've had an opportunity to replay the Tellius games and reign in my nostalgia somewhat). 

That said, I hope that this Echo fighter rebranding was the right move. I personally would have gone with costumes rather than dedicated slots. Perhaps the way that they're being treated, including sorting options, will cause them to not be treated as full reps. In that case, perhaps Fire Emblem's representation will be less of a controversy for the Smash community. After all, FE only has 4 reps when you remove echo fighters. And we do really deserve more variety in our reps (Edelgard would do a lot to fix that).

Edited by Etheus

Not a fan of Chrom in FE and even less in Smash. He brings nothing new or interesting to the game and actually makes the roster worse because this time it does feel like there was only one possible FE slot and he just took it from someone more unique like Lyn, Celica, or Edelgard. I don't see any other FE characters being added since no one was cut and now we have another clone.

2 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Not a fan of Chrom in FE and even less in Smash. He brings nothing new or interesting to the game and actually makes the roster worse because this time it does feel like there was only one possible FE slot and he just took it from someone more unique like Lyn, Celica, or Edelgard. I don't see any other FE characters being added since no one was cut and now we have another clone.

That is an illusion though. Removing an echo fighter doesn't mean adding a new unique moveset. The scale of work involved is completely different. After all, was anyone in the entire universe asking for Daisy? Probably not, but a recolor of Peach with some slightly different mechanics takes less work than putting in someone like Walluigi or Captain Toad. 

If we are getting a new moveset (cough Edelgard cough), it will be as DLC by popular demand or to promote a new game, and I'm personally okay with that.

1 hour ago, (s)ad touch said:

i just want even fUCKING MORE fire emblem representation for no good reason.

SmashFAQs would HATE you.

I personally would just like to see more variety in the FE reps.  Yeah I know, Echo Fighters take hardly any effort (and I'm definitely an advocate for the side of "why not" in regards to these characters, for reasons @Etheus explained), but there are plenty of popular FE axe, lance, and bow users that could be incorporated.  So I kind of more feel neutral towards Chrom.

The very fact that Chrom was dubbed while Lucina wasn't was a problem in Smash 4. Yeah she got lucky that time, but she also was able to come back. If they were able to bring Lucy into the game (someone who got in for the very reason that Chrom didn't) then there logically isn't any reason not to have Chrom.this time around. It'd just be hypocritical and a tragedy after what it caused for him

Chromgrats, indeed

My problem with chrom is that it will only produce more hate towards FE in smash circles, I am worried that this may deter from new FE entries in smash, not to mention, fire emblem has plenty to pull from, even for echo fighters, celica (as a robin echo) would have at least displayed a different section of the series and would have not been another marth clone.

people already complain about sakurai showing favoritism in this regard and I rather not have a potentially worst outcome where we get no new fire emblem characters.

10 minutes ago, Nym said:

I found it odd that he is Roy's echo fighter. I was sure he was going to be Ike's.

I guess they figured Falchion was too small to slip Chrom into Ike's moveset, or else they'd have to do the work of balancing and/or animating his range difference. There's also the whole "my father taught me how to fight" thing, and Ike's moveset is pretty far removed from Lucina's.

Anyway, give me a million echoes, they're all good.

I'm ecstatic about Chrom getting in. It just annoys me that people are starting to bring the Awakening and Fates hate into Smash. Awakening has one unique rep, the other two are Echoes, you can just merge them into the character they're Echoes of so you don't see them take up a space on the CSS.

The Smash fanbase can be extremely petty sometimes when it comes to the number of characters per franchise. I can understand complaints about the lack of variety, but then you need to consider that that hole was dug all the way back in Brawl. There was nothing stopping Sakurai from choosing Micaiah over Ike (I'm pretty sure RD was out at the time of Brawl's development), but he didn't. Before Awakening, FE was still a niche franchise, Ephraim and Hector were just past it, I suppose. Sakurai wanted to play it safe and go with the protagonists from the most recent games.

Should we just blame IS for creating too many sword protags? Because I think it's becoming glaringly obvious to them now with Smash, Heroes and Warriors...

Edited by Lau

26 minutes ago, Johann said:

I guess they figured Falchion was too small to slip Chrom into Ike's moveset, or else they'd have to do the work of balancing and/or animating his range difference. There's also the whole "my father taught me how to fight" thing, and Ike's moveset is pretty far removed from Lucina's.

Anyway, give me a million echoes, they're all good.

Is Ragnell that big and/or long?

15 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Given that Roy is a clone of Marth, does that mean that Chrom is a clone of a clone?

I thought the concept of clones died the second Nitendo created echoes fighter.

I think so yes.

18 minutes ago, Nym said:

Is Ragnell that big and/or long?

It seems that way to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Hard to say for certain since I don't have the models, and it's always possible they've resized either (like how the Master Sword is longer)

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

That is an illusion though. Removing an echo fighter doesn't mean adding a new unique moveset. The scale of work involved is completely different. After all, was anyone in the entire universe asking for Daisy? Probably not, but a recolor of Peach with some slightly different mechanics takes less work than putting in someone like Walluigi or Captain Toad. 

If we are getting a new moveset (cough Edelgard cough), it will be as DLC by popular demand or to promote a new game, and I'm personally okay with that.

Ok so why not Celica instead. Echo of Robin with a self damaging moveset and different spells. More recent, more popular, more unique than Chrom.

I don't see 8 FE characters happening. I'd love to be wrong and have Edelgard or Lyn as DLC.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

was anyone in the entire universe asking for Daisy?

Yes. Yes, alot of anyones were. A very vocal fandom that served as the "rival" to Waluigi's, as it were.

Overall, I'm perfectly neutral towards Chrom and just glad for the memes his confirmation has brought.

Leaving Chrom out of Smash 4 playability was fine by me, at the time it'd would've been too much for FE. Robin and Lucina were already playable, and Chrom appeared in a final smash. What on Earth did Awakening need even more for it compared to other represented Nintendo franchises?

Echo Fighters being a formalized thing now makes his inclusion in Smash Ultimate much more reasonable, and thus of no issue.

This said, Chrom I dislike to an extent, and all because of how he acts around the Grima choice. Although to be fair, that wasn't all his fault, the context itself was poor around him in that moment. The one lord worth anything particularly personally to me, Hector, had a somewhat comparable situation, but both he and the context he was placed in were much better handled. Outside of it, he isn't anything especially bad or good to me.

2 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Ok so why not Celica instead. Echo of Robin with a self damaging moveset and different spells. More recent, more popular, more unique than Chrom.

Smash Ultimate roster was decided late 2015/early 2016 wasn't it? Going by that logic Fates would still be the most recent title at the time because Echoes was still in development plus Sakurai couldn't guess how popular Alm and Celica would later become. It makes sense to go with Chrom because Awakening is still kind of a recent title for Fire Emblem, he is a popular Lord and you know the direct itself said that Chrom was a popular request from fans. Honestly, I would have liked Celica too but I'm afraid her game came too late and if Chrom wasn't going to be the next Fire Emblem rep the next logical option would have been Azura probably (which I also would have been okay with).

Anyways, I stand by my reasoning that if Pokémon can have 6 reps from Gen 1 then I don't see the problem with Fire Emblem having 3 reps from Awakening. Also, not trying to attack or offend anyone here but people from Sereneforest seriously confuse me sometimes when they get into a hissy fit when a popular character from any franchise gets repped for anything. I honestly don't know where all the hate comes from. It is almost like it is a crime for a the most recognizable or popular game from a franchise to have more reps than other games from its franchise (assuming it is kept in moderation).

35 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I don't see 8 FE characters happening. I'd love to be wrong and have Edelgard or Lyn as DLC.

If Celica's spells and sword are significantly different from those of Robin, she would not be an echo fighter. If Celica's spells and sword are not significantly different from those of Robin, she would not be accurate to her game - at all. Also, Chrom was already intended to be included in Smash 4 and probably had some degree of completed code.

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Nym said:

I thought the concept of clones died the second Nitendo created echoes fighter.

Calling something by a different name doesn't change what it is.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Agreed. I love female Morgan. But is it necessary for them to be an echo fighter when they could so easily be a costume?

I don't think costumes have different voice lines or animations which is why they aren't echoe fighters like the one from Olimar.

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Calling something by a different name doesn't change what it is.

True.

2 hours ago, Nym said:

Again, I have to ask for Morgan for Robin's echo fighter. So much better than Celica in my opinion.

I honestly think Chrom might be the only new FE rep we get this time outside of DLC. Morgan has a good chance of showing up in Robin's final smash though assuming Pair Up is still their final smash and not something like Expiration from summoning Grima's head. Also, Celica deserves better than being a Robin echo because the two of them use completely different magic spells and her swordplay is more elegant and graceful than Robin's.

I'm pretty fine with this. While it is another Awakening character and sword user, I care only a little about those trivialities since Chrom pretty much took little work to make like all the other Echoes and slots are not a thing contrary to what some may say. I don't understand why people think slots are a thing when there's no source saying that the devs "limited" the amount of characters they can put in. Feels like a way for people to make scapegoats to blame.

Also, more Matt Mercer is great. I'm impressed Matt can find the time to do VA work between preparing to DM for Critical Role.