Stage idea: Grima's Back

MilodicMellodi

Considering we have now at least 3 confirmed Fire Emblem Awakening characters in SSB Ultimate (Lucina, Robin, and Chrom), I think we could do with having more than just Arena Ferox as a stage to represent it. True, we do also have Marth, Roy, Ike, and Corrin, but each of them belongs in their own title and we have 2 game-ambiguous stages as well (Coliseum and Castle Siege).

So the stage idea I have is Grima's back, which (why would I put spoilers, Super Smash Bros. spoils us by simply existing) is the final location in Awakening where the Endgame takes place. This stage could have occasional Risen soldiers appear and start attacking everyone, and Grima (both the dragon and Future Past Robin) could occasionally be fought as a Boss in the stage similar to Rathalos, Dracula, and Yellow Devil in their own stages. Considering that we have both Robin and Chrom in the game now, there could be a special interaction when Grima is defeated by either of them (Lucina too, now that I think about it).

So...give me your thoughts! Would you want to see this as a stage in SSB Ultimate?

I’d love to see Grima’s back make an appearance as a stage. To add to the possible hazards, it’d be neat if Grima just took sudden dips or shook violently in attempts to throw the players off its back. I do wonder about the layout of the stage though. Like how would it look like? Grima is huge so would the stage be restricted to just a certain area of his body or would it be something like a scrolling stage?

On topic of Fire Emblem stages though, the Cyrkensia Opera would be a good addition too.

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Like how would it look like? Grima is huge so would the stage be restricted to just a certain area of his body or would it be something like a scrolling stage?

Lylat Cruise but on Grima instead.

Awakening already has Arena Ferox, and if we have to be limited to one Awakening stage, I'd rather it stay that way. Though I am completely open to Grima as a possible stage.

If we get a new stage, I hope it's the opera house from Fates. That would be incredibly interesting from both a gameplay and aesthetic perspective.

Edited by Etheus

The stages cover Fire Emblem's terrain pretty well, but it's missing two very notable features. Desert and Fog of War! Bring on Pent's Chapter from Sword of Seals! Every character is massively slowed down and it's impossible to make out any locations. The screen just becomes a massive unplayable sand storm throughout the entire match, perfectly emulating actual Fire Emblem. XD Actually now that I think about it seriously, they could do some kind of Arcadia stage where a sandstorm is a brief hazard that can be avoided by taking shelter ala Norfair. The oasis and dragon filled city in the background would also look cool. Nergal and Athos could also appears as either a cameo or a boss (or maybe a pair of bosses that try to fight each other with the players getting caught in the middle). Also suitable for an Idoun cameo (a boss fight there would be kind of strange given the context though).

Edited by Jotari

Wouldn't happen. Smash doesn't pick "spoilery" stages (for the few games represented that actually have spoilers), and the Grima battle very much is. At most, there is maybe the Umbran Clock Tower.

And Awakening doesn't need any more than it already has, which includes a stage.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wouldn't happen. Smash doesn't pick "spoilery" stages (for the few games represented that actually have spoilers), and the Grima battle very much is. At most, there is maybe the Umbran Clock Tower.

And Awakening doesn't need any more than it already has, which includes a stage.

Well New Pork City is kind of a spoilery stage (even though it really shouldn't be, as the game gains absolutely nothing by hiding Porky's involvement until the last chapter). Ridley appearing in the pyrosphere is a bit of a spoiler too (even though the Other M trailer showed him off in it prerelease, in the game's actual plot itself, they keep Ridley's existence a secret until his boss fight).

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well New Pork City is kind of a spoilery stage (even though it really shouldn't be, as the game gains absolutely nothing by hiding Porky's involvement until the last chapter). Ridley appearing in the pyrosphere is a bit of a spoiler too (even though the Other M trailer showed him off in it prerelease, in the game's actual plot itself, they keep Ridley's existence a secret until his boss fight).

Not to mention that the WarioWare stage is a spoil of the entire game itself.
The Kalos and Unova Pokemon Leagues spoil a bit as they not only show what they look like (especially the latter with its appearance being based on Team Plasma's takeover), but Reshiram and Zekrom are major appearances (and hazards) in the latter pointing to the events that happen later in the game.
Reset Bomb Forest sort of spoils a little part of Kid Icarus Uprising, especially with Viridi's quote which was taken from the game, though it's excusable because it doesn't point to exactly which point in the game it's at.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

honestly id rather see a fire emblem stage based on a field to sortta complete the trifecta (colissuem, castle, fields) of common fire emblem elements and battlegrounds. maybe something based on one of ikes stages with the rolling boulders for hazards.

It could be cool. Escpecially with the way Negative Exponent suggests by having Grima do dips and such.

Me personally, I'd like a Fates inspired stage myself. Definitely if it involves uses of Dragon veins to change the playing field.

In my opinion, it would be a very dull stage, a walkoff would be a given and terrain would be less varied than wii fit, having grima show up is the only thing that could be even remotely interesting, but I don't think it would be worth the dev time.

now a really interesting idea to me is a GBA inspired arena, it could remove the z axis to make it like flat zone, then it could use the interface from the gba arena, the hazards would be the old gba animations from the combatants, it could also be a cool way to use certain other characters who don't show up generally, after a combatant dies both combatants are switched out, the battle could also use the same rng to determine hits, misses, and criticals to make things interesting, maybe even let players attack the combatants (doing set damage every hit or use real defense calculations to determine damage), I think this would be a great way to call back to older games.

I envision the stage itself not moving as much as you'd expect for a living floor, but hazards including those purple spike attacks rising up from certain spots on Grima's back, and its big ol' dragon head occasionally lobbing an Expiration at the stage similar to Battleship Halberd's Combo Cannon.