Girl "Tax"/Sticker Price Shock

XRay

So my friend, his girlfriend, and I were chilling yesterday and we went to a make up store. I checked out the shampoo/body wash section because the stuff smells nice. I thought about buying a bottle of 3-in-1 and then I noticed the sticker price that says $15 freaking dollars! I was like "What the hell? Who would pay 15 dollars for a bottle of soap?" I looked around the section and everything is like 2 to 4 times more than what I am willing to pay for.

The most expensive Axe that I buy costs like maybe $10 at most if you go to a non discount store. You can usually get it cheaper around like $5 at Walmart. The Axe bottle is a bit smaller, but even if you double up the bottle, it will still be like $10 max at most.

So anyways, yeah, I did not buy the bottle. It smells nice and all, but it definitely does not smell 3 times better than my Axe soap at home. I know that the girl "tax" exists conceptually at the back of my mind, but I have not actually felt it prior to yesterday.

So yeah, any dudes experience sticker shock when you went to buy girl stuff, whether for yourself or for someone else? I bought Victoria Secret's Temptation as part of a deal, so I guess I never noticed how expensive it would have been if I bought it individually. I think it was supposed to cost like around $20 something dollars each, but I bought three and it was 30% off or something, so it only felt slightly more expensive than an Axe Phoenix spray since the Temptation bottle is like 2 or 3 times bigger.

What about the ladies? Do you feel like getting a good deal buying men stuff? Are there lady products that you stop buying and switched over to men/gender neutral products instead? Were there instances where you try to switch back to lady products and got sticker shock too? I heard men razors are one thing that is common for ladies to use. What about mens' undies, you girls use them too? Not sure how much lady undies cost, but you can get like half a dozen or more for men undies for a few bucks at Walmart. Our undies are not very flashy though.

Edited by XRay

Hair cut prices are unfair for women-- even when my hair is down past my shoulders, regardless of how much work they have to do to get it the way I want, it costs me a fraction of the price despite being at the same exact place.

59 minutes ago, XRay said:

Our undies are not very flashy though.

Speak for yourself! I'll pay extra for the quality. Yet even still, it's nothing compared to how much women's underwear and other clothing can cost.

17 minutes ago, Johann said:

Speak for yourself! I'll pay extra for the quality. Yet even still, it's nothing compared to how much women's underwear and other clothing can cost.

Actually, good point. I cannot speak for most dudes, I have not bought any type of undies in like a long time. I wear basketball shorts as underwear now because it is roomier. And as long as I do not have a boner or something, I can take my pants off in public when it gets really hot and it would not be awkward.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Actually, good point. I cannot speak for most dudes, I have not bought any type of undies in like a long time. I wear basketball shorts as underwear now because it is roomier. And as long as I do not have a boner or something, I can take my pants off in public when it gets really hot and it would not be awkward.

Ah, yeah boxer briefs all the way, you get the comfort and style. I don't want a ton of bounce. Haven't had to buy any in a while either, but I know things like bras can easily cost in the $50-100 range each or else risk wearing something that can be outright bad for you.

Spoiler

stealth Men of Serenes Forest revival thread goooo

I buy whatever's cheapest.  If I want to pay extra for the smell, I do, but usually I buy soap and toiletries that the whole family uses.

As for underwear, I buy it in packs of like 4-6 or whatever and it costs around the same as what men's does.  It's the lacy fancy underwear that costs a lot, but that's only for special occasions.

Bras are expensive, but men's bras cost just as much, so can't complain there.

I've actually never really looked at men's shampoo and stuff before. When I lived at home, my mom bought soap that everyone used. She'd buy "family size" bottles, and I don't believe they were much more than 7 bucks at most. I suppose they were technically "feminine" shampoos, but I never thought of them that way since my father and brother used it as well. Other than the scent maybe being different, is there really a huge difference between shampoo for guys and gals? Like...do men need a slightly different chemical composition to clean their hair? Like I know for my favorite brand of shampoo there are different varieties that do things like control frizz, provide extra moisture to dry hair, provide a little volume, etc.  But most of the time, when people buy super high end products, I feel like they're paying for (maybe) better ingredients and the label. 

For me, I tend to buy the products that work for me. Some things I'll compromise on. Razors? Don't need the super cute model. Shampoo? I have a specific hair care routine that I like to follow. I'm willing to buy slightly more expensive products if it protects my hair better. PJs? I 100% prefer men's PJ bottoms, but I like underwear for ladies. I'll go to a store like Aerie and do the 5 for $25 deal or whatever. A little expensive, but it's that treat for myself that I enjoy. Bras on the other hand... If it doesn't fit right, you're going to be in for a bad time...doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive. And bras can be SUPER expensive... 

I also feel like ladies are more likely to buy more products. Not speaking for everyone of course just from some personal experiences with my sorority/ladies in my family. But without even adding makeup into the picture, in the shower I think I use anywhere between like...4 to 7 products (shampoo, conditioner, face wash--two different ones that I alternate, shower lotion, body soap, shaving gel, exfoliant....) But I've known a few guys who will buy a 3 in 1 shampoo (shampoo, conditioner, body soap) and only use that. But on top of that I have like...a skin care routine, hair care/styling routine, etc. Part of me wonders if feminine products are more expensive because ladies might just buy more in general? 

6 hours ago, Johann said:

Hair cut prices are unfair for women-- even when my hair is down past my shoulders, regardless of how much work they have to do to get it the way I want, it costs me a fraction of the price despite being at the same exact place.

they're pretty expensive. i usually have to pay $60+ for them

at least i dont get my hair cut nearly as often

but hey i only spent $51 yesterday (including tip). that's a first!

4 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Bras are expensive, but men's bras cost just as much, so can't complain there.

I have never seen men's bras before. What do they look like? Is not it just ladies bra, but re-purposed for a male wearer?

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Other than the scent maybe being different, is there really a huge difference between shampoo for guys and gals? Like...do men need a slightly different chemical composition to clean their hair?

I am not sure if there is a difference. Personally, as a dude, I do not really care, as I do not even distinguish the difference between body wash and shampoo. If it smells nice, I will use it all over my body.

I like the 3-in-1 or 2-in-1 soaps because they are basically made for people like me.

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Part of me wonders if feminine products are more expensive because ladies might just buy more in general? 

I think maybe it has to do with dudes having lower standards in general maybe? Like, for me, my only standard is that it has to smell nice. When I was broke for a while in New York, I did not care about smell, and I just bought the cheapest soap and used that to wash my entire body.

48 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

they're pretty expensive. i usually have to pay $60+ for them

That is crazy, the most I spend was about $30 ($20 + tip $10) in New York.

5 hours ago, GuiltyLove said:

how often do you get your hair cut? maybe the prices balance out if you cut your hair more often. i usually cut my hair every 10 weeks or so

Maybe like five or six times a year at most.