Voting Gauntlet: The Chosen Ones!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: The Chosen Ones!  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/2018 at 05:00 AM

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

First two gauntlets still keep a place in my heart for being fair. Did Sharena have a chance of beating Lucina? Hell no. Didn’t stop her from showing second-best performance in the first round.

Did Minerva have a chance of beating Camilla? Hell no. Still, doing so well fot a relatively obscure character is an amazing feat.

The multipliers turned this into a yawn-inducing see-saw of not playing the game. Literally what.

First two gauntlets were boring as shit because the winners were so obvious outside of Ephraim vs Chrom. Multipliers made things more not obvious. I do still think they need some tweaking, but what we have is better than near everything being obvious imo. And a lot of people complained that the original two gauntlets were boring too.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

You mean like the two Gunnthra got? Give me a break. This is just the system evening out after that particular farce.

Yes, and that includes Camilla beating Lyn last year was undeserved too. I don't like multipliers period, just can this non-mode. (The benefit to that was watching one of the more cancerous character fanbases in FE go ballistic for a few days.)

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Did Minerva have a chance of beating Camilla? Hell no. Still, doing so well fot a relatively obscure character is an amazing feat.

Um... Minerva lost by double what Ephraim did. In fact after that that was when IS decided to add the multiplier so a character wouldn't lose by such a large gap.

Edited by AbsoluteZer0Nova

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

I think technically, the little sisters gauntlet and the mages gauntlet didn't have any upsets either. So yeah, they had multipliers but there were no upsets so things didn't really change.

Summer Gaius upsetting his way into the finals was probably when it began.

it's hard to have upsets when most of the characters are unpopular, and only Mist is remarkably unpopular

1 minute ago, Alkaid said:

Yes, and that includes Camilla beating Lyn last year was undeserved too. I don't like multipliers period, just can this non-mode. (The benefit to that was watching one of the more cancerous character fanbases in FE go ballistic for a few days.)

The mode was even more boring without multipliers. 

But I agree, this mode needs to go. I was team Ephraim, so hopefully that's a free 500 feathers. 

I do admit, while I've had some fun moments in these gauntlets (Ephraim vs Chrom in the first one, Ike being the first ever male winner and first non-3DS winner, etc.), I've probably had more annoying ones. So I wouldn't miss this mode if it disappeared either.

7 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

honestly i had more interest when people made art and stuff, i'm curious why that stopped, i assume a mix of too much salt and the realization that only the last few hours matter.

I think people just don't care anymore, since it's so random, it's pointless to get invested in the outcome.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

First two gauntlets were boring as shit because the winners were so obvious outside of Ephraim vs Chrom. Multipliers made things more not obvious.

Popular participants winning a popularity contest, inconceivable. The drawback of the gauntlets back then was the incomparability of the participants. Of course Lucina is infinitely more popular than Sharena. Of course Camilla is infinitely more popular than Minerva. Of course Tharja is infinitely more popular than Linde. The solution was to make a more balanced set of participants, not to create a rubberband that can double as a slingshot.

4 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Um... Minerva lost by double what Ephraim did. In fact after that that was when IS decided to add the multiplier so a character wouldn't lose by such a large gap.

Not Minerva’s fault and not Camilla’s. Also getting into the finals is a fest alright anyway. Popularity disbalance should have been addressed in a different way. Remember the dragon gauntlet? It was the most balanced line-up in this game’s lifetime. And the popular character won. This is how it should have been.

11 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

You mean like the two Gunnthra got? Give me a break. This is just the system evening out after that particular farce.

Why do you remember that?

6 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

honestly i had more interest when people made art and stuff, i'm curious why that stopped, i assume a mix of too much salt and the realization that only the last few hours matter.

There's still there, it just not as prominent anymore.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Popular participants winning a popularity contest, inconceivable. The drawback of the gauntlets back then was the incomparability of the participants. Of course Lucina is infinitely more popular than Sharena. Of course Camilla is infinitely more popular than Minerva. Of course Tharja is infinitely more popular than Linde. The solution was to make a more balanced set of participants, not to create a rubberband that can double as a slingshot.

And a more balanced set of participants would mean less varied gauntlet lineups. Which is also boring. With the multipliers, those characters CAN go against each other without an obvious outcome. The only thing is, like I said, you can no longer really call it a voting gauntlet at that point and I think this is where IS messed up.

I will just take whatever feathers I get and focus on TT.  Sadly VG is not the mode I hate most now, that honor goes to Relay Defense.  Congrats to team Ephraim I guess, but I am not 100% sure he has this in the bag.

Edited by EricaofRenais

1 minute ago, SlipperySlippy said:

The mode was even more boring without multipliers. 

But I agree, this mode needs to go. I was team Ephraim, so hopefully that's a free 500 feathers. 

I feel like it's just as boring. Multiplier flip-flops aren't any more interesting to me than the stomp outs were. This mode just seems bad down to a conceptual level for pretty much all aspects of it. Winning aside, I mean who likes checking their phone every 30 minutes to try and maximize score? It's not a good mode if participating in it is basically just an annoyance for a week.

As much as I'd really like for them to come up with something better, I'm not sure how likely that is since we just saw how they handled their latest mode with Relay Defense.

11 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I think technically, the little sisters gauntlet and the mages gauntlet didn't have any upsets either.

Actually, Priscilla overtook Lissa in the second round, but it wasn’t in a shocking fashion compared to ones to come.

1 minute ago, EricaofRenais said:

I will just take whatever feathers I get and focus on TT.  Sadly VG is not the mode I hate most now, that honor goes to Rival Defense.  Congrats to team Ephraim I guess, but I am not 100% sure he has this in the bag.

Pretty sure there's no way he can lose unless like half his team just suddenly stops playing. The scores are too close and his multiplier is too high.

16 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Yes, and that includes Camilla beating Lyn last year was undeserved too. I don't like multipliers period, just can this non-mode.

I've never liked the multiplier system either, I've just grown to tolerate it based on the fact that the only way it dies at this point is if the entire mode itself does. And if it does, I'll actually kinda miss this mode but it'd be for the best.

5 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Why do you remember that?

I was with Team Ike in that VG. He shouldn't have been in Round 2 either of course, but since he was he should've beat the snow nun.

Edited by Tybrosion

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Pretty sure there's no way he can lose unless like half his team just suddenly stops playing. The scores are too close and his multiplier is too high.

I am going by how big Veronica's team is and by the gap.  I don't really care who wins, I just think this one will be really close since team Ephraim is probably out of flags.  

2 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

I am going by how big Veronica's team is and by the gap.  I don't really care who wins, I just think this one will be really close since team Ephraim is probably out of flags.  

And the gap is pretty small. Ephraim is at about 49 bil while Veronica is at about 50.8 bil. That's a difference of only 1.8 and Ephraim should put up close to 4 given his previous hour. No way could Veronica make up for that much at this point.

Man, where's Ice Dragon to help me here when you need him? :P He's probably busy or sleeping though...

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And a more balanced set of participants would mean less varied gauntlet lineups. Which is also boring. With the multipliers, those characters CAN go against each other without an obvious outcome.

It would mean no Ike for three times in a row, at the very least. Seriously, though, a more balanced set of participants would mean more exposure to less-spoken-about characters. Remember Shanna? Lightning in a bottle, I admit. But this is how they should have approached the mode. Give Ike, Lucina, Lyn, Leo, and the other big-hitters a break. Frederick is reasonably popular, why wasn’t he on a gauntlet? Just as an example that’s relevant for you.

Aaaand that's the last 200 flags I can use.

Welp, I will say I am surprised that Team Veronica was still in the lead even with Ephraim having the second to last multiplier, but that's about where the surprise ends...

Really, if they  just handed us 45 coins, 10 refining stones, 4 orbs, and a bunch of feathers every other day over a week rather than this pseudo-popularity contest (with the daily orb rewards and cool banner intact), I wonder just how many people will care...

Edited by Xenomata

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I was with Team Ike in that VG. He shouldn't been in Round 2 either of course, but since he was he should've beat the snow nun.

That was over 2 months ago, I can't even remember who's team I was on. Pretty sure it was Grima, but that's beside the point.

There's disliking & there's hating.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

It would mean no Ike for three times in a row, at the very least. Seriously, though, a more balanced set of participants would mean more exposure to less-spoken-about characters. Remember Shanna? Lightning in a bottle, I admit. But this is how they should have approached the mode. Give Ike, Lucina, Lyn, Leo, and the other big-hitters a break. Frederick is reasonably popular, why wasn’t he on a gauntlet? Just as an example that’s relevant for you.

Frederick's not popular. He's just "there" for a lot of people. He's not liked much nor disliked. I'll always love him lots, but yeah. I never expected him to be in many gauntlets either way. He was in one, btw, the summer one. He just got very narrowly screwed by Gaius.

Edited by Anacybele

11 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Actually, Priscilla overtook Lissa in the second round, but it wasn’t in a shocking fashion compared to ones to come.

No, Priscilla started out with a higher first hour total.

I don't mind upsets in and of themselves, but the multiplier at the end is so friggin huge that nothing else matters. I would prefer if the multiplier capped at around 5 or so. About the start of the second day. This would make it easier for folks who have lives to not get screwed by not being around for the final two or three hours and would make it so that there is some reasonable chance of upsetting a multiplier upset. A 7x is just too much in my opinion.

Just now, Usana said:

I don't mind upsets in and of themselves, but the multiplier at the end is so friggin huge that nothing else matters. I would prefer if the multiplier capped at around 5 or so. About the start of the second day. This would make it easier for folks who have lives to not get screwed by not being around for the final two or three hours and would make it so that there is some reasonable chance of upsetting a multiplier upset. A 7x is just too much in my opinion.

This would be a good idea, yeah. I do think the cap is too high, and I also think the threshold for when it gets triggered is too small. It should go back to the 10% threshold. Or if not, maybe 5%.