I Want To Meet The Community!

Minty908

Hello everyone! I've been a longtime fan of the FE Series, starting off with Blazing Blade, but my interest really took off with Awakening. For awhile, I've quietly lurked the community and observed all of the wonderful chats and works by fellow fans. 

But slowly over time I've desired to make my own mark to the community and become involved! I formerly used to be in an old group of roleplayers that covered Awakening. It was one of the best experiences I had in a fandom. I used to be Stahl, but nowadays I've gone past Awakening and I am now open to writing with anyone. Just ask! I promise you I'm good.

I will admit that I have been shy when it comes to this fandom. It's slightly scary to me to ask people to talk to me, but I know there's a certain sense of camaraderie here I'd like to get a taste of.

So let's talk! I'm actually working on my own RomHack, and I splice my own portraits. I'd actually love to collab with anyone who can help me or vice versa. In fact, take a look at some of my sprites! I'd love your thoughts and to see some of the work others are doing. Nice to meet you!

Lenin Solo.png

Aurora.png

Vertigo Solo.png

Hello and welcome. I gotta say, I LOVE the sprite that you have for your avatarr. Awesome, looks gritty, the guy has obviously had some close encounters and is still alive and at the same time does not necessarily look like this edgy edgelord character as is usually the case. Which I just appreciate as I think you can have a character who has faced grim experiences without them being an edgelord.

@SavageVolug

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you not calling him an edgelord, haha. I've revised that sprite over and over because a while back he was pretty edgy looking (and overall bad since he was my first piece), so I'm glad we got it right! His scars do tie into his backstory, and I'm hoping as I write his character the personality will set him apart from the mean looking people.

1 minute ago, Minty908 said:

@SavageVolug

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you not calling him an edgelord, haha. I've revised that sprite over and over because a while back he was pretty edgy looking (and overall bad since he was my first piece), so I'm glad we got it right! His scars do tie into his backstory, and I'm hoping as I write his character the personality will set him apart from the mean looking people.

Don't about such dim connotations...they will just happen, whether you want to or not. You can only be so "original" where people wouldn't put a label on something here and there, and that's all it should ever be. No more than that.

You can make them whatever you want them to seem.

@Junkhead

I really appreciate what you're saying. It's refreshing to get some positive advice since some of my past attempts at showing my work haven't gone well. Especially on the area I was really sensitive about, which was the edgelord comments. That guy was actually my first OC waaaaay back when and is the protagonist of my hack.  So thank you! I'll be sure to keep my head high.

You'll need thick skin posting mugs around here. People give out criticism pretty bluntly. At least, that's the way it seems from my occasional little hops over to the artwork forum. On that note, I think the sword on the character's back looks a bit unnatural for your avatar pic. I can't really envision how it's sticking to him or how he's effectively meant to draw it.

@Jotari

Hey! I've seen some of your stuff on here before. Nice to talk to you!

And I suppose I should justify the sword a bit. I thought about it's practicality too. So I've been toying with the idea It's more of a plot device, something that can't be wielded. And I mean, when it comes to the hackbox for sprites, there's not enough room to tilt the sword to look traditional. It can only work straight up. Perhaps in the future I'll add a sling.

I'll be happy to toughen up for here. I've looked around, and the people here are thankfully more constructive than criticism. Thanks for the advice!

5 minutes ago, Minty908 said:

@Jotari

Hey! I've seen some of your stuff on here before. Nice to talk to you!

And I suppose I should justify the sword a bit. I thought about it's practicality too. So I've been toying with the idea It's more of a plot device, something that can't be wielded. And I mean, when it comes to the hackbox for sprites, there's not enough room to tilt the sword to look traditional. It can only work straight up. Perhaps in the future I'll add a sling.

I'll be happy to toughen up for here. I've looked around, and the people here are thankfully more constructive than criticism. Thanks for the advice!

I think you could afford to slant it just a bit. Even if only the handle was visible without the crossguard it would still be pretty clear as to what it is on close inspection. Also, given the way it looks now, it's pretty tiny for a sword. More  a knife than anything. Maybe that's your intention though.

*sheepishly blushing* What of my stuff have you seen before?

@Jotari

I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I do another set of revisions.

I've seen the tier branch tree! I like looking at battle sprites, and the ones shown were very nice and cool. You did a good job of organization. How long did that take to make?

47 minutes ago, Minty908 said:

@Jotari

I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I do another set of revisions.

I've seen the tier branch tree! I like looking at battle sprites, and the ones shown were very nice and cool. You did a good job of organization. How long did that take to make?

Years, but not with consistent effort.

jesus christ those sprites are ridiculous lmao. you did good work on them though, just tone down the dandyness a little on the first one, and maybe make deke+kent a little less obvious, and you should be good. 

anyways, dont worry, just fear the mods and you should be fine lol

25 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

jesus christ those sprites are ridiculous lmao. you did good work on them though, just tone down the dandyness a little on the first one, and maybe make deke+kent a little less obvious, and you should be good. 

anyways, dont worry, just fear the mods and you should be fine lol

What do you mean by ridiculous?

Hi there!  Those bottom sprites look pretty good, though I have to ask what in the world is up with the top one's hair.

I'm working on my own Fire Emblem story/project too.  It's not really a playable hack so much as it is a written story presented as a hypothetical fangame, but it does include my own character artwork and even map designs.  Check it out if you're interested!

Welcome to the Forest, Minty! (Though, I guess it is a late welcome)

Your sprites are nice. I really dig the pompadour.

Have a nice day and enjoy your stay!

2 hours ago, Minty908 said:

What do you mean by ridiculous?

mostly the first guy having rocky hair, but otherwise, there fine. they just look a little silly is all, but who really cares? there cool and well made character portraits, they just dont fit the standard aesthetic that fire emblem has of being slightly gritty, but, again, who cares?

ah well, good luck in future spriting endeavors

@Von Ithipathachai @Ycine

Forgot to mention a little fun fact! The guy with the pompadour is inspired by JoJo’s Part 4 Protag, Josuke. I liked how the style of his hair is something often brought up. So with this sprite, it’ll reflect in the character’s personality. He’s a bit uptight and constantly on edge, so his hairs are already standing straight!

3 minutes ago, Minty908 said:

@Von Ithipathachai @Ycine

Forgot to mention a little fun fact! The guy with the pompadour is inspired by JoJo’s Part 4 Protag, Josuke. I liked how the style of his hair is something often brought up. So with this sprite, it’ll reflect in the character’s personality. He’s a bit uptight and constantly on edge, so his hairs are already standing straight!

Huh.  Okay.  I only now noticed the pompadour.  Those three things at the front where his hair is supposed to be going up just look kinda stuck there.

By the way, try using the Edit button to add stuff to existing posts.