Fire Emblem: Blood at Dusk

PlaYeRaNoN

Quick disclaimer: ↓↓ THIS ↓ ↓  is going to be an utter mess: a convoluted, unnecessarily complicated and generally unprofessional metaphorical swiss cheese full of (plot)holes. But that's what brainstorming is for. So here’s my collection of ideas for a game, to be gladly criticised and improved on. I always wanted to play as a manakete protagonist in FE. Corrin doesn’t really count, it looks more like a Qilin with wings, and it never impacts the story nor is it ever mentioned again, so what's the point? Soo, I started from there. But I'm not sure whether I want the protagonist to be an avatar, per se. 

It’ll be loosely influenced by the following series:

1.       The Legend Of Zektbach

2.       The Fate series

3.       Drag-On-Dragoon/Drakengard 

4.       Legends surrounding Robin Hood and King Arthur (AKA an adaptation)

NOTE: [sentences in brackets are farfetched, optional propositions not set in stone, but then again, all of this is a prototype.] 

More details will be added as I go, and feel free to add your own ideas. I'm will also upload this thread as a Word document for convenience if the need arises. 

GAMEPLAY & MECHANICS:

1. CORE GAMEPLAY:

Spoiler

Tactical turn-based, nothing changes drastically. [Would the inclusion point & click visual-novel breaks between fights be too disruptive? SoV did it good enough.] Units have personal skill(s), terrain effects are back (though hopefully not as frustrating) shove, shelter [and pair ups?] are there as well. Graphics wise, I know a bit of 3D modeling but I'd be more comfortable with a GBA style game, in all. 

Other things people usually want:

• Refined but nerf pair up.
  • GBA caliber of villains, a solid main one with an entourage to keep them updated.
  • The Forge Radiant Dawn style (resources like Fate, money for extra hit-crit  or damage, as long you have the money & resources for it)
  • Offensive and defensive healers, aka healers and debuffers (Healer & Druids).
  • No limit of supports like FE:A.
  • Bonus EXP from POR
  • Mila’s Trunewheel

2. WEAPONS & GEAR: 

Spoiler

Gear could be added for reasonable bonuses in combat, if kept in a units’ inventory. Icons, bracelets, crowns & tiaras, gloves, belts, shields, rosaries… you name it. They could boost a unit’s critical hit chance or defense, heal a meager amount of HP, not unlike staying on a fort, for example, or reduce the cooldown time for Laguz transformation. 

Weapon triangles might disappear or be simplified, but Anima magic makes its returns: so does weapon durability [and weapon forging & repairing].

• Tomes: Light MG. only affects non-humanoid (meaning some Laguz and other creatures) units. Dark MG. does NOT affect non-humanoid units, and Anima MG. affects everyone, with varying degrees of efficiency due to a (modified) affinity system.
  • Slings, Daggers, etc.: some can double as ranged weapons. [Could have the same effect of brave weapons or inflict debuffs]. Versatile, but don’t do a lot of damage, especially to armored units.
  • (Short)swords & Dirks: Solid damagae and hit rates, but only has 1 range, with some exceptions.
  • Claymores & Longswords: affect two adjacent tiles, and cause a lot of damage, but generally have abysmal hit rates. [Replaces armor breakers]
  • Lances: range varies from 1, 2, or 1-2. Good against fliers, [maybe armor too (pierce damage)]. Lower damage than swords, maybe even daggers- but higher crit. rates.
  • Axes: are mostly a counter for lances. Their hit rate his boosted a little bit, and they’re a good compromise: way less risky than claymores.
  • Bows: are back with ridiculous ranges (1-3, 2, 3-5, etc,), mostly because being a mobile ballista is fun. Of course, this applies to enemies too. A lot of fine-tuning would have to go to make those balanced weapons.
  • Staves: are where it gets interesting. No longer are they glorified medical kits! Some have light or dark attributes, meaning some have healing, draining/hurting or buff/debuff qualities. Whether other weapons will have durability or not, the staves will ALWAYS be expirable.
  • Stones: work the same way they usually do in PoR with meter to fill, but while in humanoid form the unit can still initiate combat and are [relatively] unaffected by Light magic if they don’t transform. Users are often as squishy as little rogues, but I’m considering giving them a secondary weapon of choice beside the stone.
  • Breath/claws/beak/etc.: all weapons specific to creatures that do not shapeshift: they vary immensely in attributes.

3. STATUS EFFECTS:

Spoiler

Can be inflicted by weapons, mostly magic and staves (with different success rates and durability). S.E. could also be caused by in-game decisions. The majority (if not all of them) can be cured by staves and specific items. Some ailments ideas include:

• Fear/confusion: evasion down
  • Stun/stupefy: can move but not attack
  • Freeze/sleep: turn wasted
  • Poison/cursed: 5-20% damage per turn
  • Charmed: attack allies
  • Enraged: unit acts independently
  • Silenced: unit cannot use MG. based weapons
  • Fatigued: all stats down by 5-30%
  • Static/Burn: collateral damage to adjacent enemies
  • Conceal: unit is made invisible to the opposing side
  • Nimble: SPD/evasion up
  • Blessed: LCK and hit rate boost

4. SUPPORTS:

Spoiler

In-battle conversations (that don’t waste a turn). No kids, way less “marriages” than in Awakening. Replayable supports that go: (C)-(B)-(A)-(S/A+) Similar to Fates, except A+ HAS scripted dialogue. Unlike the normal 40, the roster has 20-32 playable characters tops, and that’s counting 2 campaigns. Each unit should be more valuable, and there’s almost a puzzle aspect to recruitment: for example, a Mercenary might only follow you if a friend was rescued the last chapter(s) or if you show them a special item (weapon, heirloom, etc.)

WORLD OVERVIEW:

Spoiler

It’s set in a medieval setting criminally similar to that of Arthurian legends- hopefully with a spin on it. Shout out to anyone knowledgeable when it comes to the Middles Ages: I have no idea of what I’m doing. Includes Robin Hood as well (wouldn’t it be peculiar, having an Archer Lord?), who is the protagonist and one of the three main characters, the others being “King Arthur” and the 'Avatar': we switch command between those three during some chapters. The world still needs to be built; there’s not much now. 

CURRENT RACES: 

Spoiler

1.    LAGUZ (and others): plagiarised from Tellius’ saga, but also borrowing from faeries and mythological creatures. (I just want a badass harpy or minautore as a recruitable unit ok) They are rarer (as they prefer no to be seen) and old as nature itself. Often revered or feared. Mostly birbs, beasts, dragons but also other creatures from the medieval bestiary, which is most creative. Example:

• Alerions: eagle-like crimson birds, had wings as sharp as razors; (Dyna Blade, anyone? Ok…)
  • Hercinias: glowing little silver/golden birds that light the path to travellers.
  • Panthers: “gentle” but fierce beasts believed to be feared by dragons, often associated with Christian symbolism
  • Salamanders: blue and poisonous: could withstand even the hottest flames and cool anything it touched.

2.    SPIRITS: Non-physical entities born from energy, often linked to certain aspects of the world: mountains, lakes, emotions, ideas etc. Compare to Dragon Age’s Spirits, or Gegege no Kitaro’s Ghost Tribe. They might have mortal needs like hunger. Rarely seen by humans, even more so than laguz, which brings me to...  

3.   HUMANS: because of course  

4.   COLGHOM: Dumb place-holder name. A play on the word column, since they are the pillars of this world. Anyways, this race is a bit more complicated: they’re ‘transcendent beings’. Compare to Greek gods, except they preside over fundamental aspects of the universe, each having a balancing counter-force. [Truth-Ideals, Life- Death, Nature-Culture, Fate/Choice, Order-Chaos…] Like the guardians in ROTG, they woke up one day to serve a primordial duty, perhaps after their death. They are not, at least at first, human of mind: that would lead to catastrophic results.

Human morality and psychology is harder to applies to them. If they have human emotions and desires, a seal can be used to keep them on leash: should the situation require it (example: an outburst that would make reality collapse on it’s head, leading a species to it’s hasty doom) other Colghum can strip one another from their godhood, but only if the Origin1 permits it. [An artifact of some sort could also be use, like a Fire Emblem.]

1So what the heck is this “Origin” I’m talking about? Think of ROTG’s Man on the Moon, an unseen mysterious entity that watches and guides the world. Other races have no idea of its existence. The Origin, quite literally, is the source of all things, and is beyond comprehension, nothing short of a God. Even I don’t know if it has (or should have) a consciousness or should remain a force of nature. To be worked on.

Edited by PlaYeRaNoN

OVERVIEW OF THE WORLD:

It’s set in a medieval setting criminally similar to that of Arthurian legends- hopefully with a spin on it. Shout out to anyone knowledgeable when it comes to the Middles Ages: I have no idea of what I’m doing. Includes Robin Hood as well (wouldn’t it be peculiar, having an Archer Lord?), who is the protagonist and one of the three main characters, the others being “King Arthur” and the 'Avatar': we switch command between those three during some chapters. The world still needs to be built; there’s not much now. 

Edited by PlaYeRaNoN

RACES:

1.    LAGUZ (and others): plagiarised from Tellius’ saga, but also borrowing from faeries and mythological creatures. (I just want a badass harpy or minautore as a recruitable unit ok) They are rarer (as they prefer no to be seen) and old as nature itself. Often revered or feared. Mostly birbs, beasts, dragons but also other creatures from the medieval bestiary, which is most creative. Example:

Alerions: eagle-like crimson birds, had wings as sharp as razors; (Dyna Blade, anyone? Ok…)

Hercinias: glowing little silver/golden birds that light the path to travellers.

Panthers: “gentle” but fierce beasts believed to be feared by dragons, often associated with Christian symbolism

Salamanders: blue and poisonous: could withstand even the hottest flames and cool anything it touched.

2.    SPIRITS: Non-physical entities born from energy, often linked to certain aspects of the world: mountains, lakes, emotions, ideas etc. Compare to Dragon Age’s Spirits, or Gegege no Kitaro’s Ghost Tribe. They might have mortal needs like hunger. Rarely seen by humans, even more so than laguz, which brings me to...  

3.   HUMANS: because of course  

4.   COLGHOM: Dumb place-holder name. A play on the word column, since they are the pillars of this world. Anyways, this race is a bit 

more complicated: they’re ‘transcendent beings’. Compare to Greek gods, except they preside over fundamental aspects of the universe, each having a balancing counter-force. [Truth-Ideals, Life- Death, Nature-Culture, Fate/Choice, Order-Chaos…] Like the guardians in ROTG, they woke up one day to serve a primordial duty, perhaps after their death. They are not, at least at first, human of mind: that would lead to catastrophic results.

Human morality and psychology is harder to applies to them. If they have human emotions and desires, a seal can be used to keep them on leash: should the situation require it (example: an outburst that would make reality collapse on it’s head, leading a species to it’s hasty doom) other Colghum can strip one another from their godhood, but only if the Origin1 permits it. [An artifact of some sort could also be use, like a Fire Emblem.]

1So what the heck is this “Origin” I’m talking about? Think of ROTG’s Man on the Moon, an unseen mysterious entity that watches and guides the world. Other races have no idea of its existence. The Origin, quite literally, is the source of all things, and is beyond comprehension, nothing short of a God. Even I don’t know if it has (or should have) a consciousness or should remain a force of nature. To be worked on.

Edited by PlaYeRaNoN

Now you might say, that's great kiddo, but's what's the story? To which I say we have to go through other ideas first.

GAME MECHANICS:

1.      WEAPONS: Weapon triangles might disappear or be simplified, but Anima magic makes its returns: so does weapon durability [and weapon forging & repairing].

Tomes: Light MG. only affects non-humanoid (meaning some Laguz and other creatures) units. Dark MG. does NOT affect non-humanoid units, and Anima MG. affects everyone, with varying degrees of efficiency due to a (modified) affinity system.

Slings, Daggers, etc.: some can double as ranged weapons. [Could have the same effect of brave weapons or inflict debuffs]. Versatile, but don’t do a lot of damage, especially to armored units.

(Short)swords & Dirks: Solid damagae and hit rates, but only has 1 range, with some exceptions.

Claymores & Longswords: affect two adjacent tiles, and cause a lot of damage, but generally have abysmal hit rates. [Replaces armor breakers]

Lances: range varies from 1, 2, or 1-2. Good against fliers, [maybe armor too (pierce damage)]. Lower damage than swords, maybe even daggers- but higher crit. rates.

Axes: are mostly a counter for lances. Their hit rate his boosted a little bit, and they’re a good compromise: way less risky than claymores.

Bows: are back with ridiculous ranges (1-3, 2, 3-5, etc,), mostly because being a mobile ballista is fun. Of course, this applies to enemies too. A lot of fine-tuning would have to go to make those balanced weapons.

Staves: are where it gets interesting. No longer are they glorified medical kits! Some have light or dark attributes, meaning some have healing, draining/hurting or buff/debuff qualities. Whether other weapons will have durability or not, the staves will ALWAYS be expirable.

Stones: work the same way they usually do in PoR with meter to fill, but while in humanoid form the unit can still initiate combat and are [relatively] unaffected by Light magic if they don’t transform. Users are often as squishy as little rogues, but I’m considering giving them a secondary weapon of choice beside the stone.

Breath/claws/beak/etc.: all weapons specific to creatures that do not shapeshift: they vary immensely in attributes.

2.     STATUS EFFECTS: Can be inflicted by weapons, mostly magic and staves (with different success rates and durability). S.E. could also be caused by in-game decisions. The majority (if not all of them) can be cured by staves and specific items. Some ailments ideas include:

• Fear/confusion: evasion down
  • Stun/stupefy: can move but not attack
  • Freeze/sleep: turn wasted
  • Poison/cursed: 5-20% damage per turn
  • Charmed: attack allies
  • Enraged: unit acts independently
  • Silenced: unit cannot use MG. based weapons
  • Fatigued: all stats down by 5-30%
  • Static/Burn: collateral damage to adjacent enemies
  • Conceal: unit is made invisible to the opposing side
  • Nimble: SPD/evasion up
  • Blessed: LCK and hit rate boost

3.     GEAR could be added for reasonable bonuses in combat, if kept in a units’ inventory. Icons, bracelets, crowns & tiaras, gloves, belts, shields, rosaries… you name it. They could boost a unit’s critical hit chance or defense, heal a meager amount of HP, not unlike staying on a fort, for example, or reduce the cooldown time for Laguz transformation.

4.     SUPPORTS: In-battle conversations (that don’t waste a turn). No kids, way less “marriages” than in Awakening. Replayable supports that go: (C)-(B)-(A)-(S/A+) Similar to Fates, except A+ HAS scripted dialogue. Unlike the normal 40, the roster has 20-32 playable characters tops, and that’s counting 2 campaigns. Each unit should be more valuable, and there’s almost a puzzle aspect to recruitment: for example, a Mercenary might only follow you if a friend was rescued the last chapter(s) or if you show them a special item (weapon, heirloom, etc.)

5.     CORE GAMEPLAY: Tactical turn-based, nothing changes drastically. [Would the inclusion point & click visual-novel breaks between fights be too disruptive? SoV did it good enough] Units have personal skill(s), terrain effects are back (though hopefully not as frustrating) shove, shelter [and pair ups?] are there as well. Graphics wise, I know a bit of 3D modeling but I'd be more comfortable with n GBA era game, in all. 

Other things people usually want:

-Refined but nerf pair up.

-GBA caliber of villains, a solid main one with an entourage to keep them updated.

-The Forge Radiant Dawn style (ressources like Fate, money for extra hit-crit -effective damage, as long you have the money & ressources for it: so a weapon maker)

-Offensive and defensive healers, aka healers and debuffers (Healer & Druids).

-No limit of supports like FE:A.

-Bonus EXP from POR

-Mila’s Trunewheel

Edited by PlaYeRaNoN

2 hours ago, PlaYeRaNoN said:

4.   COLGHOM: Dumb place-holder name. A play on the word column, since they are the pillars of this world. Anyways, this race is a bit 

Is that a JoJo reference

In all seriousness though, I do find some of these ideas interesting.  The thing you've got going on with your weapons and gear systems totally sounds like something Kaga would do.  Have you come up with a class tree for all these different races yet?

I'm working on my own project similar to this one where I just lay my ideas down.  It's basically a serialized story presented as a hypothetical fangame, with a script and map design for every chapter.  Though the beginning does list gameplay mechanics you would expect to see, like a revamped Rescue system based purely on class and the use of pure Speed minus Weight for Attack Speed, as well as spreadsheets of characters, Skills, weapons/items, and the like you can expect to see.

7 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Is that a JoJo reference

[Pillar Men theme intensifies]

I'm working on my own project similar to this one where I just lay my ideas down.  It's basically a serialized story presented as a hypothetical fangame, with a script and map design for every chapter.  Though the beginning does list gameplay mechanics you would expect to see, like a revamped Rescue system based purely on class and the use of pure Speed minus Weight for Attack Speed, as well as spreadsheets of characters, Skills, weapons/items, and the like you can expect to see.

That seems interesting. Is it on any thread or site?

In all seriousness though, I do find some of these ideas interesting.  The thing you've got going on with your weapons and gear systems totally sounds like something Kaga would do.  Have you come up with a class tree for all these different races yet?

Thank you ;-; TBH I have no idea how I want to build the class system for the moment, nor how to balance them. (I have never designed a game or its mechanics.) I want to have a bit more diversity than the classics, because what's the point if they're the same as all the games? It might become redundant, and I find I'm more excited discovering new classes. So, to be worked on. Any tips on making a balanced, interesting class and battle system?

Edited by PlaYeRaNoN

16 minutes ago, PlaYeRaNoN said:

That seems interesting. Is it on any thread or site?

Thank you ;-; TBH I have no idea how I want to build the class system for the moment, nor how to balance them. (I have never designed a game or its mechanics.) I want to have a bit more diversity than the classics, because what's the point if they're the same as all the games? It might become redundant, and I find I'm more excited discovering new classes. So, to be worked on. Any tips on making a balanced, interesting class and battle system?

I have threads for the project on this very forum.  You can find the links in my signature.  Make sure to leave feedback in the feedback thread if you plan to give any.

Here's a list of classes I'm using for my project.  It might not be like what you're looking for in terms of variety, but I find it easier to start simple when you're first doing this sort of thing.  When allocating stats to classes, what I did was avoid using CON and make sure every class's stats added up to the same total so that no playable class has a higher BST than any other.

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I have threads for the project on this very forum.  You can find the links in my signature.  Make sure to leave feedback in the feedback thread if you plan to give any.

Here's a list of classes I'm using for my project.  It might not be like what you're looking for in terms of variety, but I find it easier to start simple when you're first doing this sort of thing.  When allocating stats to classes, what I did was avoid using CON and make sure every class's stats added up to the same total so that no playable class has a higher BST than any other.

Ah, I should have paid more attention. Thanks for your patience, this is really useful.

34 minutes ago, PlaYeRaNoN said:

Ah, I should have paid more attention. Thanks for your patience, this is really useful.

I'm glad I could help.  Balancing theory has always been one of the more interesting aspects of Fire Emblem to me, especially with hacks where you can apply those ideas.

6 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm glad I could help.  Balancing theory has always been one of the more interesting aspects of Fire Emblem to me, especially with hacks where you can apply those ideas.

It is. The only I find more interesting than engaging (and balanced) gameplay is how creatively a game developer can merge and play around narrative and mechanics.

Edited by PlaYeRaNoN

Today I worked on the playable units:

(11) "CAMELOT" KNIGHTS:

Spoiler

1.       Arthur: 

Just wants to rule the Kingdom right, but he must deal with his own demons and shortcomings as a man and the general corruption of mankind and its current world structure, as left by his predecessors. In short he was left with a shit country to rule. One soul cannot naturally shoulder the weight of the world, paragon of strength or not, without the possibility of snapping.

2.      Gawain: 

Arthur second best knight. A mother hen and fiercely loyal man with good morals, protector of children and women. Very impulsive, still finds it difficult to trust and deal with people. Used to yet unsatisfied by petty noble life. Often deals rudely with people he finds suspicious or unjust. Most talented herbalist and amateur gardener. A puppy troubled by his own mind. Also a salty bitch who wants JUSTIIIICE! Often blinded by his emotions and strong love.

3.      Bedivere: 

A though man and one of Arthur’s first and most trusted followers. Friend of horses and pegasi alike, and Gareth’s mentor. A keeper of secrets, namely Arthur's. Wise, soft-spoken, quiet. Has ties with the Lady of the Lake. Not often seen. Comically acts like a old man, despite only being in his early 30s. Has buried regrets.

4.      Merlin: 

A young boy with pastel hair. In truth, an old, omniscient cosmic being disguised as a wizard: like Fate/Extra's  Moon Cell, observes the world for a greater purpose or authority. He is grimly fascinated with nature and the different, self-conscious lifeforms that later developed beautiful but dividing cultures. He is deeply enamoured with young Okuri, a spirit who has a consciousness yet kept her purity. He is conflicted by his repulsively fervent need to keep her safe and his utter inability to act for her well being.

Merl had always been manipulative or haughty with people and would be considered apathetic. He is possibly an amnesiac after a fierce battle which left him incomplete: by making him forget his godhood and setting obstacles in his way, the Origin hoped to teach him how to better understand himself, mortal pain, and the ones he’s supposed to guide. What he personally makes of his trials is in his own hands, however.

5.      Galahad: 

Sunshine boii and constant reminder of Lancelot fuckups. Your typical pure, beautiful blond boy, responsible and courageous. Eats like it’s the end of the world, needs attention, kind of hyper. He likes people as easily as he learns. The hopeless optimist wants to be friends with the twins.

6.      Percival: 

Might change her name to Astrid or Willow. An androgynous woman you don’t want to mess with. Gender is a sensible subject. Her axe is as sharp as her tongue: she’s really good at hurting people, in more than one way. A misandrist jerk with a lot of prejudice and double standard, but her heart (usually) is in the right place. Hidden motherly side, has very few close friends, likes alcohol. Doesn’t want to change for the world. Doesn’t back down from fights, stands her ground where most would flee or cower. Tends to forget her limits. Has a soft-spot for vulnerable people and cute ladies.

7.     Gareth: 

A hard-working, male Pegasus knight (which is unheard of there) who often gets used, abused or taken for granted. Nicknamed ‘Beauxmains’ or ‘Fair-Hands’ as an insult to his manliness. Constantly teased and underestimated, mostly by Kay (refer to ROGUES ONES) and Linet (but not her captured sister Lyonore, whom he’ll marry). Close to brotherly Lancelot, who nonetheless more affectionately teases him and serves as a role-model.

The youngest son of Lot and of Morgause, King Arthur's half-sister, thus making him Arthur's nephew, as well as brother to Gawain, Agravain, Gaheris, and half-brother to Mordred, who comes to the castle disguised as a kitchen boy. People misunderstand his calmness and poise as weak instead of chevalresque. Sympathetic but somewhat close-minded.

He has a very noble and strong spirit, but years of abuse make his confidence falter. Lyonore was his only true friend for a while, and Linet resented their close bond. When the girl was captured (and later saved by Bors, see ROGUE ONES), both were devastated, but Linet kept in bottled up like she does everything. She has a bad case of evil step-sister attitude.

8.      Gaheris: 

Gareth’s twin and Linet’s future husband. A clever boy with a keen eye and a beaming smile. An unofficial student of Lady Vivien, talented with magic, but weaker than Gareth in constitution. Secretly ill. Has an uncanny empathy, or at least ability to read others, yet prone to causing misunderstandings himself. An oddball much like FE's Miriel.

9.      Vivien: 

Our good Lady of the Lake, though she is quite odd. Gwenevere shares half of her mind yet holds a soul of her own. Whatever how, those two are linked, and in the future the Lady will slowly become corrupted because of the Queen’s meddling in with evil spirits. She linked them because her wish to be mortal and experience life as they do, as she must remain pure and can neither have a partner or family life. As a saint of sorts, she is terribly ashamed of her desires and hypocrisy. The Queen is a vessel she can peek into, Gwen does not like the very intrusive presence in her mind, not that she knows its origin.

She was the one to raise Lancelot with such romantic world views, and very much encouraged his passionate lifestyle in her stead. She is an herald of news and change, and the one responsible for enchanting Merlin or putting him to sleep forever in a tree.

Merlin, even with his foresight knowing beforehand that this will happen, is unable to counteract Vivien because of the "truth" this ability of foresight holds. He decides to do nothing for his situation other than to continue to teach her his secrets until she takes the opportunity to entrap and entomb him. She was Merlin’s accomplice, forging Excalibur and nursing Arthur back to health after his original sword broke, appearing as a soothing benevolent guide. Though she aided many knights in their endeavors, she is blamed by many as the death of good knights. She was there at Arthur’s wedding, cementing her link to Gwen.

10.  Oq'urii/Okuri: 

A GOOD AND PURE CINNAMON ROLL WHO DESERVES THE WORLD. A mountain spirit and Lady Vivien’s companion. Compare to Chobits' Chi and Zektbach's Malchut. An oddity amongst the knights. Merlin’s protégé. She(?) has a lot of gall or spirit, tends to get in trouble. Means no harm whatsoever. Doesn’t understand concepts.

11.   Doriane: 

A young girl (and this party's songstress). One who values her life more than loyalty: in other words she is most likely to act in self-interest or preservation. When she was sacrificed by her village with Hilda and Vallée, she refused to believe it. Ironically, she is a good actress. When they discovered the dragon they were given to was the wounded Avatar who sparred them, she chose to return her village while the other two became his followers. Knowing the townsfolk would not allow her back in otherwise, she told them that the dragon escaped after devouring her friend and her sister in front of her eyes, sending her back to tell the tale afterwards.

(11) MERRIE MEN CREW:

Spoiler

1.       Robin:

He was orphaned and raised by a Hamadryad, a forest spirit bound to a singular place. (Said foster mother could borrow aspects from Laguz but she is more akin to a spirits. Not to be mistaken with Vivien, who hold human intelligence and sentience.) When young Robin left the (cursed?) Forest of Oversight at a young age, he forgot about her, as all who do do, and was then found and raised by an old and grumpy human shaman until the latter died of old age.

Should he and Lancelot meet, perhaps they might bond over their similar upbringing. Robin is a mix between Lon'qu and Gaius. A snarky person with whose sense of humour is only matched by is capacity to intimidate those who mess with him. Very capable because of his upbringing, impressively in-tune with his comrades emotions and needs, yet hard to deal with and approach himself. Nonetheless a good leader.

2.      John:

A burly, bearded, brown-haired man with a hearty laugh and a knack for humour. He rubbed on Robin. Unrivalled in lance or staff fights. A friend of nature and animals. Former leader of the Merrie Men. Conceded the position to Robin, since he never really cared about power or leadership: it was his (grand-?) father who was the one to form the MMC and its ideals. A brigand, yet full of honor.  

3.      Tuck: 

The butt-monkey of the group. A perverted (and runaway) priest if you’ll ever see one. Not so much of an old man as people think. Energetic, sort of cowardly, but he will still do as told anyway. Sings and writes the praises of his comrades. Seems like he can be trusted.

4.      Scarlet: 

Self-proclaimed rival of Robin, clad in red. Has a shit-ton of debts, self-proclaimed defiler of ladies (his words, not mine). A theatrical and confidant man with no modesty whatsoever. Not that he likes the man, but he and Tuck have a lot in common. Plans everything in his head and believes in Lady Luck or something. Seems she often lets him down, though. Usually doesn't have a plan B. His fencing skill is almost unmatched by none, however. Has a easy time with dual wielding. 

5.      Marian: 

Robin's friend. A very capable and brave woman who risks her life for the safety of her crush-lover and companions, working as a spy for them. Fights to free her home from tyranny, be it from fierce bandits or a corrupt feudal lord. Learned archery with Robin, agile with small weapons. Keen and fast thinker. No potential for magic.

6.      Much:

A bitter and most untalented son of a miller, that is if you don’t count his newfound ability for magic. Socially inept, his words always come out wrong. Always negative and bitter. Has a big conscience, only thing stopping his anger issues. A foil to Gareth, as the both of them lived a life of pain and trials. Unjustly(?) convinced of murder.

7.      Tristan : 

A forlorn, exiled (but capable) knight who was exiled for his forbidden love of Iseus. Resistant to poison, seems to have a lucky star. Troubled by his own felony and the illogical actions induced by a love potion not meant for himself. Should you ask him, however, he never consumed his love with the Queen. His skills with a bow rivals that of Robin. Likes dogs.

8.     Hilda :

A very dignified and lady-like nun. Can become a pegasus knight, healer by default. Fascinated by other races and wishes for harmony more than anything. Most perspective and wise, tends to account for others’ will and intentions more when judging situations. The person to go when in need of a therapist. Quietly passionate, yet hard to fool nonetheless. She, along with Vallée and her sister Doriane, were sacrificed as young maidens to appease a fierce dragon who appeared near their village. She was the one to pacify the bloodied beast.

9.      Vallée : 

Fierce laguz. Protective kind not to be messed with. Holds special affection for Hilda. No-nonsense, illogically loyal. Good at diplomacy (or would that be blackmail?) Clashes with strong-willed opponents or individuals. Good with a spear. Spars with John, he became a bit like a father figure for the two.

10.      Allan:

The group's ministrel. Joined relatively late. A young vagabond who seeks to free his sister from an unfair arranged marriage to a cruel old man. 

11.      Nasir: 

A smart, savage sellsword. One of the only dark-skinned man in the group. Uses the strangest tactics, which more often than not work well. The last person to go when in need of advice: he doesn't really care. Strong believer of survival first. He lost friends, family. Often at the end of others’ antics. Cares for the MMC, but only as much as his troubled heart allows him to. Much reminds him of himself.

(7) ROGUES ONES (UNAFFILIATED):

Spoiler

1.       Mordred:

A bipolar, no-nonsense, dominant person with IS S U E S. A bad mix of hot-blooded, courageous and dead serious. Wasn’t always like this, but growing up with Morgan fucked him up. He can switch from cold, bitchy control freak to earnest and caring pretty damn quickly. He hides and ignores all his problems and it doesn’t help his easily swayed composure and amplified emotions, which he also pushes back and doesn’t understand.

Only a few do not aggravate him. Not too keen on violence, but prone to verbal abuse. At some point, he distanced himself from his loved ones, perhaps for his revenge. If Arthur had not fucked up, he thinks, he and Ava would have had a better life. They would’ve had a father. A real home, maybe a loving mother, not the wench they know. He hates life and people in general.

He realised Morgan’s manipulations* some time ago, after taking some distance, still it shook him more than he wants to acknowledge, but he’ll carry with her plan, or no, HIS plan, or personal reasons. He can’t seem to help it: it makes mistakes, shouts and screams, but he would rather shrivel up in anger than to be weak.

At one point, the only thing he feel he has left is his brother/sister, be even he doubts that. He become clingy. He has tons of frustrations, mostly with himself, but he’s as harsh with anyone as he is with himself. He can’t possibly phantom that people would LOVE him, a least his real, disgusting self, and as such he doesn’t consider his comrades his friends, which makes things more complicated. 

*He doesn’t know that he doesn’t KNOW the extent of her plans and the atrocities she is willing to do.

2.      Ava/Avis/Aaron:

[A trumph card and the player avatar.] Always lived in Mordred’s shadow. Ava is Morgan’s adoptive child, and was raised along with Mordred, who’s legitimate. Ava is the eldest. Morgan always treated him like he was better, because he’s calm and doesn’t have fun and listen. The stirred jealousy in both of them as kids, but he loves his brother nonetheless. Family (heh) was all you’ve known, but you are a cheeky one and so you choose your own path. You long for freedom more than anything. Freedom to love, freedom to be, freedom to CHOOSE. Which is ironic, knowing your potential Colughom and rivalry with the Mother of Fate, Morgan, authority figure during the whole story.

Sensible, relatively honorable. Calm by nature, and a foil to Mordred. The more passive sibling, but their roles often change due to the ambivalence of their relationship. Their synergy is great, the result of a life of partnership. Ava is more neutral, complacent in everything they do, but is able to feel as much resentment as Mordred, for various reasons. Compared to his brother, he trusts more openly and gladly accepts the outside world.

In another life, Ava died in the Last Dragon War as their leader, outraged at the death of their love and children, almost bringing the world to an end. They were stopped by Esmet, Colughom of Destruction. Dragons were put on the brink of extinction, and those who did not go into hiding were enslaved or killed. This did not sit well for other Laguz.

For a century, the God of Freedom was dead, yet, they were reborn. This backstory will be discovered through Merlin and Vivien. After touching the Grail, your seal is broken, and you rampage the castle grounds as you return to your primal form. It’s ample distraction for Morgan to steal said Grail. After being almost slayed, Bedivere helps you escape under Vivien’s orders.

3.      Bors/Bohort:

The son of a man of the same name. More free-spirited than some on, as he was raised along with his cousin Lancelot. Clings to his ideals, considered virtuous nonetheless: with Perceval and Galahad they receive the Holy Grail. Was forced to choose to save his tortured brother or a maiden soon to be raped; he didn’t want to choose, but ultimately saved the helpless girl, fervently praying for his brother's safety.

Lionel, his brother, never forgave him, and one day challenged him to a duel. An hermit and another knight both tried to stop the fight but were slain by him as a result. Shocked, but still refusing to lay a hand on his brother, the only this that stopped Bohort's demise was a wall of flame that stops them from doing the irreparable; possibly by "God" or Merlin. The two siblings made up, or at least Lionel gives up on revenge but never associates with him again.

Like the rest of his family, Bohort joins Lancelot after the Queen is sentenced to burn at the stake: he cannot accept this punishment as fair. He later becomes Lancelot’s most trusted advisor during the war. When Gawain sends a message of help after Mordred’s revenge, they come up in time to defeat Mordred, Melou and Melehan (who kills Lionel). The brother is later avenged.

4.      Minotaure: 

An aberrant Laguz man desperately trying to control his cursed beast side. A minor deity rivalling a Colughom's power. Compare to Gutz or Frankenstein. Knows little speech but can utter some words. A true, terrifying powerhouse on the battlefield. Gentle giant-bear who longs for freedom, personhood and belonging. Can connect with Aaron on their shared inhumanity. First found encased and sealed in a temple.

5.      Lancelot: 

Low-key flirt and player, just enough that it’s adorable. It’s nothing like Scarlet or Tuck, but it’s nonetheless more frowned upon by the other knights. He just wants to be righteous, loving, just the best, and in truth he IS Arthur’s bestest knight, but he convinced himself that he could definitively do NOTHING wrong as a paragon on his path to self-righteousness.

Has a thing for beauty and a very liberal world-view. All his vain qualities and misplaced absolute search for romantic love will lead to his downfall, but he’ll understand he is no paragon and later make up for his S I N S. He’s not a villain or even a true antagonist, just misguided. Merlin’s buttmonkey. When he gets serious he can win almost any battle, yet he often gets mocked by other knights. It doesn’t help that he makes a lot of bad calls or incites such jealousy. Later become decisive ally against Mordred.

6.      Kay:

Arthur’s adoptive brother and generally an A S S H O L E. More cowardly, can’t back up half the claims he says, but he means no real harm. Ector’s biological son who always got the short end of the stick. Overall a bully, but secretly dreams of being a good person. He might have a chance to.

7.      Lannorak: 

Third most powerful knight of the Roundtable. Violent tendencies, lives for the fight. Blue and orange morality, hyper-active and hot-blooded. Would rather blow-up stuff. Uncomfortable when things are looking good or too peaceful: lives for action, fame and mayhem.

(4) HIDDEN DRAGON FACTION:

Spoiler

1.      Alcor/Sahnakoor/Lucius: A meek, unconfident and chronically shy blondie laguz with incredible magical abilities but lacks control and needs a mentor figure. Gloomy, sometimes scary person with a lot of issues, but very much willing to learn and work on themselves. They have no place to go back to. Can become a cleric or dark mage. Compare to Soul Eater's Chrona or FE's Henry.

2.      Lulu/Violet/Charlene: Beautiful maiden and laguz, motherly and attractive. She knows this very well, and acts as a manipulative spy or seductress. No psychopathic tendencies like Camilla, but always toys with people and make mind games. She masks her intentions but is equally capable of being earnest. A mischievous flirt with unhealthy defence mechanisms who’s used to having it her own way. Values family, and hides her true name. [Lost either a young sibling or a newborn child in a teen pregnancy?]

3.      Penelope/Liliana/Miran: Aaron’s sister. Sassy, quirky perfectionist who has some secrets, some that aren’t lady-like at all. Intensely self-conscious, hides her fragile pride behind words. Makes a lot of mistakes. Prone to day-dreaming. Painfully tsundere, without the being rude part. 

4.      Rizane: Aaron’ s little brother. Quirky, peppy, awkward but sweet boy with a child’s heart and no sense of personal space whatsoever. Short-sighed and lazy, but a ray of sunshine. Would be friends with Gareth in other circumstances. Compare to Clear or Mikhail. Most likely one to plays pranks.

(7) UNPLAYABLE CHARACTERS:

Spoiler

1.      Nimue the Hamadryad:

She could not venture out of her forest and as such was weary of Robin getting away to unknown civilisation (the same ones who left him to die). Everything she knows in instinctive, and she knows humans are unpredictable, which is bad for survival.  She is the prey, they are the predators.

BUT she does not, cannot play the guilty card: as in the way of nature, one should know how to fend for themselves. When the time comes, the young will make its life and are not to be kept to oneself. Though Robin loved her too, her craved human interaction since they fundamentally do not think the same way.

She was more of a mentor than a mother, and he craved for something. She taught him everything she knew to survive, from minor magic to craftmanship to marksmanship, etc.

IF she was killed before the campaign, it could either force Robin to venture out OR convince him that the outside is too dangerous entirely and cuts off any possibility of meeting her in-story.

2.      Ector the foster father:

Once a vagabond knight settled to protect a village. He would protect it from barbarians, and as it would, bandits attacked: they were about twenty. But among them was a young boy, still relatively innocent, who had potential. He did not reek of blood, he did not have a warrior’s soul. He was not made for violence: he was clumsy, inexperienced with weapons: clearly a rookie.  He let him live, telling him, hoping that he would ‘walk a more honorable path’. The kid fled, with the face of a frightened deer. But there was a unphantomable glint in his eyes, that perplexed him for years.

One day, he was literally stabbed in the back by the same kid, now a man. The knight’s legacy lived on in the form of his two sons, Kay and Arthur, later raised alone by a bitter widowed mother, and they both grew to dislike the strict code of honour and even more so bandits. Arthur later left them alone and took the throne and allowed them to live at the Castle. They think the father was a fool, but the son’s admiration goes deep, and he unconsciously is they role model. Kay stayed away from soldier life, however.

3.      Uther & Igraine:

Really unimportant, unless you count them making Arthur and abandoning him. Uther was cursed to be immortal and renounced the throne after the death of his Igraine, leaving the kingdom in shambles after the Dragon War, roaming the world forever. They might have a chance to die in peace if Ava lifts the curse.

4.      Queen Gwenevere:

Gwen normal, flawed person who grows into a "monster". She is an irresponsible mother and person. She is vain, selfish by nature, and has an unhealthy obsession with love and beauty. Sick of being a pretty thing in a cage, and refuses her rank and duty of Queen. When she is spared from the stake after running away with Lancelot, she finds that he does not give her happiness, admits that she used him to get what she wanted but still isn’t happy: that’s around the time she comes in contact with harmful spirits and if she was an ok douche before, now she’s just goes bonkers. Vivien toying with her mind did not help. 

5.      Arthur’ legitimate kid: 

a good kid, old enough to speak but not to fight. Deserves happiness and is fond and admirative of everyone. They can become akin to a little brother to Ava, which rattles Mordred. Later become the target of corrupted by evil spirits because of his mother’s antics. He can be saved, but his life won’t be the same. He can get better. Still gets visions from his trauma.

6.      Morgane Le Fay:

wants her god status back, being the fallen god of Fate, but it’s more complicated than just getting the Grail. She wants to fix or make up for past mistakes. She does horrible things knowing she’ll go back in time: in her words, "None of this will matter soon". She doesn’t hate her sons, but if she loves them her love is twisted. She resents Arthur, but even more so bloody Merlin.  [The whole plot could also be a complicated game of chess between her and Merlin: who would rule the country and change an entire era? Mordred, her son and/or her pawn was historically supposed to be King. After being given that knowledge, he becomes mad and mad. In truth Merlin was abusing his powers as ruler of Truth and pushes the Excalibur plot unto poor Arthur.]

7.      Lionel:

A normal soldier turned bitter after being left for dead by his big brother, Bors. He never forgave him, and one day challenged him to a duel. An hermit and another knight both tried to stop the fight but were slain by him as a result. Shocked, but still refusing to lay a hand on his brother, the only this that stopped Bors/Bohort's demise was a wall of flame that stops them from doing the irreparable; possibly by God… or Merlin.

The two siblings made up, or at least Lionel gives up on revenge but decided never associates with him again. Like the rest of his family, joined Lancelot after the Queen is sentenced to burn at the stake: he cannot accept this punishment as fair too. Melou and Melehan, soldiers fighting for Mordred, later kill him after Lancelot takes the King’s side during the Rebellion. He is later avenged by Bors.

5 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

do you intend to make this into a hack eventually? because if so, then what is it based on? 

Yes, at least I'd like to. It would most likely use Sacred Stones as a base,  but that's not set in stone either. I'd have to do my research on hacking- I was a bit hasty when posting this, but I also needed feedback.

People say a world map makes things too easy, but in the end it's the player's decision to grind for levels. To be honest I'm not too fond of infinitely playing the same skirmish battles,  but it's nice to get more control on your units' progression. It also helps the player get a better grasp on the story's setting, and branching battles could be used to impact the narrative.

ma'm, with all due respect, have you ever created a fire emblem, or even a video game hack before? because honestly, you seem far to ambitious, and are probably setting up for you own disappointment, like for real, there is no fucking way you can get milas turnwheel into feGBA. you should start out smaller, because big, grand, concepts like this are never going to happen, unless suddenly AAA companies decide to invest into you.

i apologise for perhaps coming off blunt, but curb your enthusiasm i mean, be a bit more realistic.

that being said, the concept doesn't actually mean very much when compared with how fun a game is, its mostly just execution anyways, so starting smaller would probably be good for both realism and eventual quality, as it may well end up bloated if you left all those incompatible mechanics in-game.

anyways, good luck with hacking endeavors.

18 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

ma'm, with all due respect, have you ever created a fire emblem, or even a video game hack before? because honestly, you seem far to ambitious, and are probably setting up for you own disappointment, like for real

I'm aware of how much of a hell game development (or hacking) can be. And like everyone starting, the project way too much ambitious- half of it is wishful thinking. I'm not realistically going to be able to cram every possible feature in one game, alone, especially with no experience whatsoever- that's ludicrous. Not that I mind, my two main objectives are to tell the story I want to and make it fun for for others. The project still being in its infancy, it has to flexible.

25 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

that being said, the concept doesn't actually mean very much when compared with how fun a game is, its mostly just execution anyways, so starting smaller would probably be good for both realism and eventual quality, as it may well end up bloated if you left all those incompatible mechanics in-game.

anyways, good luck with hacking endeavors.

Best to make a nice, short experience than a mediocre one who leaves a sour taste in people's mouths, eh? I guess I might want to start real slow. 

• 2 months later...

Small update, I'm not dead (nor giving up) just in college. 3D animation is fascinating. That, and everyone's stuck in the wonderful development period that is pre-prod to production transition, and that's one hell of a ride.

If I don't go brain dead, I'll update soon, have a more concrete direction, etc. 

An update, as promised! I made a small outline for a prototype I want to start with, a htlm file made with Twine. I don't have quite as much time as I want to explore the software as I want to, but that's irrelevent. Starting small- at least trying to give the project a more realistic size. Still, I get I'm just throwing ideas in the void. I want that project to happen, so I'll work for it. Like always, feedback is invaluable.

G'night, I'm going to hit the hay sleeping like a log catching some Zs. 

DEMO-Avaenture.7z

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'll add details on the mechanics I aim for in this one. The game should encourage the players to explore its characters and invite them to favor crafting and customisation over shops. 

MECHANICS: 

Spoiler

• Interactive map and/or overworld*
  • Units have a personal skill
  • Terrain effects/bonuses
  • Pair up or Shelter
  • Supports- or Base Conversations
  • Talk command
  • Supply Convoy

On probation:

• Basic forge & crafting system (resources like Fate, money for extra stats, as long you have the means for it)
  • Shove  (if already implemented)
  • Status ailments and (de)buffs (to be tested)
  • Limited reclassing (due to the short length of the demo. But allowing 1 class change per unit would be nice)
  • Dual system (having a unit react in some shape or form while a nearby ally is attacked feels more logical)
  • Towns (unit areas where the player can move and interract)*

Unnecessary:

• Promotion branching
  • Bonus EXP
  • Capture
  • Fog of War
  • Fatigue (due to the very limited amount of units)

FEATURED CHARACTERS: 

• Spoiler

• Mordred
    • Morgan
    • Bors
    • Okuri
    • Tristan
    • Will
    • Vallée
    • Ector
    • Lil John
    • Lancelot
    • Viven

Edited by PlaYeRaNoN

A while ago I started playing around with Nightmare,  FEditor Adv, Anvil and such, and some limitations that come with hacking. Baby steps. Anyway Dual guard would most likely be less... hard to implement than dual strike. Bloodlines successfully introduced the Shove command in the GBA game. Interactive fields/zones between chapters? Maybe not so much, I'll see in due time. 

The first thing that struck me is how user friendly those softwares (and their modules) are. Really realizing people took the time to create them, accessible with notes and documentation. That's humbling.

For now I'll try and play around at least one hour everyday with the tools. Since it's the end of the semester, this is not guaranteed- but, it's a good investment of time. I'll be fully available this January.