So, With The Emphasis On KO-able Assist Trophies in Ultimate...

Randoman

So with the emphasis on KO-able Assist Trophies in SSBU, do you think we'll see game modes that will have a focus on KO-ing assist trophies rather than actual playable characters? Perhaps at least Event Matches where the goal is KO-ing Assist Trophies?

I don't exactly know why, but the idea of KO-ing Assist Trophies sounds a lot more fun to me than it does to most people. I guess it's the idea of facing a brand new type of enemy that's not as complex as a playable character and not as simple as an Adventure Mode/Smash Run enemy or stage boss. I also like the most of the single player/co-op content of Smash Bros. games compared to most people, and having a mode that emphasizes KO-ing assist trophies seems like a fun way to switch up Smash's gameplay.

Of course, with multiple Assist Trophies being allowed in battle at a time, we could also have fun showdowns to see who's the superior fighter (Takamaru vs. Samurai Goroh!! Battle of the samurais!!!!). So, let's talk Assist Trophies in this thread.

Actually yes I envisioned such a thing precisely for event matches. Shouldn't be hard to program an assist trophy be active for the start of a match and not disappear after a set amount of time. A fight against Sonic & Knuckles has got to happen. Classic mode might also delve into this, what with the set challenges for each character that often play on some sort of theme. Perhaps even the mystery mode that everybody's speculating about will include these guys alongside these boss fights with the Rathalos and Dracula.

And fighting assist trophies for one player/co-op modes does sound fun. Because unlike the typical level 9 CPU they won't just perfect shield all your attacks unfairly. Though Alucard does have both his mist form and his back dash functioning as a dodge so that sounds like an obnoxious fight. The assist trophy AI also looks improved compared to previous games. Though I fondly remember our first look at Knuckles at the Invitational tournament and seeing him almost immediately self destruct on Smashville when using the homing attack on somebody recovering.

Edited by Glennstavos

4 hours ago, Randoman said:

So with the emphasis on KO-able Assist Trophies in SSBU

What emphasis? All Sakurai said is that you could do it to some of them.

do you think we'll see game modes that will have a focus on KO-ing assist trophies rather than actual playable characters?

No, I don't. Especially since some can't be KO'd.

Of course, with multiple Assist Trophies being allowed in battle at a time, we could also have fun showdowns to see who's the superior fighter (Takamaru vs. Samurai Goroh!! Battle of the samurais!!!!).

Except that wouldn't work as Assist Trophies don't fight each other.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Acutally I think someone mentioned that if two Assist Trophies of opposing faction are on-stage at the same time, they'll target each other in addition to enemy fighters? I don't have a citation but I could have sworn someone who tested the game confirmed it.

I think we're gonna have some sort of mode that allows you to play as certain Assist Trophies. So many of them just seem so close to playable characters this time around. Of course it could also just be that it looks cool and it's fun to KO them. After all, I'm probably not the only one who likes the more interactive Pokeball Pokemon, Cyndaquil, Wobuffet, Maril. So maybe they're just applying the concepts to Assist Trophies.

16 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

What emphasis? All Sakurai said is that you could do it to some of them.

In the Nintendo Direct: E3 2018 video at 35:18, it says that "some assist trophies will remain unbeatable". That heavily implies that the majority of assist trophies are beatable, rather than just "some of them." Plus, with 35:09 indicating you get points for KOing Assist Trophies, that definitely sounds like an emphasis on KOing assist trophies to me, especially when you combine it with my second sentence on the majority of assist trophies being beatable. Plus, with Ultimate now making assist trophies vulnerable to status effects such as freezing (according to the Smash wiki), that only adds to Smash Ultimate's emphasis on fighting back against assist trophies and KOing them.

16 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

They do, actually, according to the Smash Wiki. Plus at 22:47-22:50 of the August Direct, you can clearly see the Moon assist trophy attacking and successfully damaging the Shovel Knight assist trophy.