Anyone else hope the limited edition is literally limited?

Volke29

No word yet on the LE, or SE, or CE, or ULTIMATE COLLECTOR IKE SUPREME DIGITAL DELUX + PHYSICAL EDITION. 

But we're all sure there will most certainly be one; there's been one for every FE game following Awakening widespread success. The only thing that bums me out is like SoV, this likely won't be truly limited, and that really bums me out. To each their own, but for me, part of the appeal is owning something that is literally limited in supply. I get that it's a pain in the butt to snag one of these is about as rewarding as that one crazy hard DLC map in Awakening that I can never spell correctly the first time around, often leading me to google it and then pasting it here so everyone knows what I'm talking about. 

I'm guessing, tho, that I'm in the minority here w/ this thought. 

Edited by Volke29

Personally, I hope its not actually limited. While I understand the appeal that collectible stuff like that holds, it just makes it a pain. It would be one thing if the only limited thing was a nothing, like a little extra logo on the game cartridge. I'm also fine with the Fates LE, where all 3 routes are on one cartridge rather than as DLC.

But when its CDs and artbooks and other stuff like that, then it gets annoying. I like having those, they're cool imo. And when I can't get a copy of them because scalpers (and other fans, I suppose) are buying them first and then reselling them for 3-5x their original price, that seriously frustrates me. I'm a student; I'd be willing to pay the standard price for LEs, but when its that much higher, I don't buy it. Its not that I don't still want it, its just that I can't justify paying that price for something that I don't actually need. Nor can I keep refreshing a page all night to check if a IE is in stock and snag it the moment it is. All I can do is try my best and hope.

So, for me, it basically boils down to "If I can get everything important in the LE outside of the LE, then its fine. Otherwise, no LEs".

Well I mean if it's just stuff like Gold coloured cartridge or having a cool key ring of the main lords or a shiny, badge that's the crest of one of the nations on the map or a world map included as extra then that's cool (or if it includes a DLC chapter that could be bought later but is just given as a bonus in the limited edition that's cool too) but as long as it doesn't have exclusive game content only available to limited edition packs were cool . Collectible merch is nice, but since this is Nintendo and not EA we should be fine. Although Some Three Houses themed Joy Cons would be pretty sweet too

2 hours ago, RexBolt said:

I don't see the appeal of Limited Editions like these. Hiding part of a game behing a second paywall but having it be only to a limited amount of consumers also looks like a dumb business strategy.

I don't really see packaging a 1/13 scale statue of the main character with every copy of the is a good business strategy either.

Leave limited collecting stuff to actual limited collectors items.  Statues, figures, art books, and the like.

If an edition of the game offers substantial DLC or other such content, then it should not be limited.  I already hate that many games have preorder-exclusive DLC, I'd rather not run into the risk that my opportunity to play certain DLC could be snagged by some a-hole scalpers.

I don't like limited editions. I only bought the Fates limited edition so that I would have all three versions on one game card. I didn't really care about the artbook or the pouch that came with it. Considering how Fates turned out, I'm still not sure if it was money well spent. 

But that's just my opinion. Personally, I can understand the appeal of wanting a piece of collectible merchandise alongside a game (even though I really don't care for that stuff), I think limited editions only encourage buying a game before reviewers have had time to, well, review it. 

As far as limited editions with added in-game features, that's even worse. I don't think anything that can be released alongside the game itself should be hidden behind a paywall of any kind. 

Nope. Keep limited editions, at least the kind with exclusive in game stuff, as a thing of the past. Imo as much people should have access to any game's feature as possible if they're going to buy said game.

Not really. Fates special edition with all the routes on it was quite limited at the time. I managed to get my hands on it but I can't say I enjoyed the thought of the high chance of me not getting that special edition and having to pay extra for all the routes. If I want the special edition of Tree Houses then I want the special edition and not an extremely small chance of getting the special edition. 

I somewhat understand the sentiment, but I'd much rather the limited edition be fairly widely available.

I'm not gonna lie, I was close to tears when I almost couldn't buy the limited edition of Fates. I don't want myself--or anyone--to have to go through something like that again ^^

As others have said, if you want to own something truly rare and special, there are many other things you could look into. Like most of the merchandise available from the Japanese Cipher events.

It's Nintendo. It is going to be limited just because Nintendo seems to like under stocking a lot of their special products. I personally don't really care much about limited editions and only got the Fates one because it was the only way to get all three routes on one cart. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

I don't particularly care for anything limited or special, in the sense that I don't even bother seeing what they contain, because as of now I have never been able to buy a game when it's just been released, much less by pre-order. It always takes me at least a year after release to get the game.

So I don't mind if it's really limited, I'm okay with it since I won't be getting it even if it's not.