What kind of soundtrack do you prefer?

Ottservia

What kind of soundtrack do you prefer?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. which kind of music is better?

• a track that sounds good on it's own and okay in the context of the scene it's in
    • a track that doesn't sound too great on it's own but sounds amazing within the context of the scene it's in

A good soundtrack is a must for any good movie, game, anime, or T.V. show because it can help enhance a scene for great emotional pay off. However then comes the question on whether a piece of music should sound good on it's own and within the context of the scene it's in or is it better for the music to be amazing within the scene but not so great on it's own.

Edited by Otts486

My preference for soundtrack is mostly games. 8 bit, midi etc. Megaman series is to me a favourable choice.

Im sorry if i might not be allowed to post video game stuff here in this section...

I just think video game music is my personal choice than mainstream music.

Edited by Innocentmask

The first one.

There are also tons of soundtracks that work great on their own and in the scenes of the game they're in, while I have yet to really find an "ambient" soundtrack that is fine to listen to on its own. I guess some Silent Hills might count? But that's about it.

I always want to be able to listen to the soundtracks at any point, so my preference is for the first.

Though really, if a song really works to build a particular scene, it probably would work for various other scenes as well.  Good songs typically fit in more places than one, even if it only works for a particular theme/tone.

The trouble with soundtrack music is that it's supposed to compliment the narrative it is placed in. To judge a soundtrack as a stand-alone piece of music would be kind of unfair, seeing as it isn't the point.

That being said, I still prefer a soundtrack that works well on it's own, but it needs to have enough identity for me remember it as part of a certain narrative.

The How To Train Your Dragon series has a distinct theme that plays whenever Hiccup and Toothless are flying. So the idea of the theme gets defined in my mind as a sort of "flying theme". Even if it plays and there's no flying (like in the Forbidden Friendship sequence) you still feel that connection (Toothless wants to fly but he can't). Listening to the OST can be like putting together a puzzle, picking out the themes and motifs and relating them to one another. All these themes are impossible for me to separate from what they are meant to convey in the narrative. 

Contrast that to a lot of soundtracks where they don't define a memorable or interesting theme despite working well in context, like ambient location music.

(Then there's the problem of the composer's musical style overriding the soundtrack and just being Yet Another OST By Insert Composer Here. Looking at you, Hans Zimmer.)

Edited by oshii