I got to write an article on Richter Belmont

Jedi

46 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Nice read, any theories why Richter Belmont, was obscure before his Smash Bros reveal?

Obscure? He appeared in Rondo of Blood and on two other versions of Rondo (the Genesis one, SNES' and the PC one; four if you include the remake for the PSP), SOTN, Portrait of Ruin and Harmony of Despair.

Like, I don't know how the fandom sees him, but he appears in very acclaimed Castlevania games, not to mention the quantity of appearances and cameos he's in.

Edited by Rapier

18 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Obscure? He appeared in Rondo of Blood and on two other versions of Rondo (the Genesis one, SNES' and the PC one; four if you include the remake for the PSP), SOTN, Portrait of Ruin and Harmony of Despair.

Like, I don't know how the fandom sees him, but he appears in very acclaimed Castlevania games, not to mention the quantity of appearances and cameos he's in.

I believe he was talking about his reaction from the Smash fanbase. There were a ton of people who had zero idea who Richter was.

As for why that is, it's probably because most of Richter's games haven't been on Nintendo systems. The only one where he had a major role was Dracula X, which has a less than stellar reputation.

Yeah I always underestimate how many people who play smash but don’t play other than Ninty consoles. So they get confused when characters outside of those consoles get in smash.

Eventhough Rondo of Blood was on the Virtual Console

23 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I believe he was talking about his reaction from the Smash fanbase. There were a ton of people who had zero idea who Richter was.

As for why that is, it's probably because most of Richter's games haven't been on Nintendo systems. The only one where he had a major role was Dracula X, which has a less than stellar reputation.

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I always underestimate how many people who play smash but don’t play other than Ninty consoles. So they get confused when characters outside of those consoles get in smash.

TBF, from the reaction vids I saw most of them only knew of Simon because of Vergeben's leak; very few had any familiarity with the series at all. 

Castlevania just isn't that big, I think.

16 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Hm, another casualty of the Virtual Console's departure. Speaking of, when we getting that ReBirth HD trilogy, Konami? Those Wiiware games are hidden gems.

Y'know I bet Konami could make serious bank off some kinda Castlevania collection at this very moment. With Smash and the Netflix show returning, I think Castlevania could peak in popularity higher than any moment in the last five, maybe even ten years. 

Just to note, Maria isn't actually Annette's sister, except in Dracula X, and therefore not Richter's sister-in-law.  Maria considers Annette an older-sister figure, but they aren't actually related, just very close.  SOTN localization treats them as sisters, but IIRC that was because the localizer was only aware of the Dracula X version of the story, since Rondo wasn't localized at the time.  The Renards are apparently distantly related to the Belmonts though.

Other than that, the article seems like a good introduction to Richter's character.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

2 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Just to note, Maria isn't actually Annette's sister, except in Dracula X, and therefore not Richter's sister-in-law.  Maria considers Annette an older-sister figure, but they aren't actually related, just very close.  SOTN localization treats them as sisters, but IIRC that was because the localizer was only aware of the Dracula X version of the story, since Rondo wasn't localized at the time.  The Renards are apparently distantly related to the Belmonts though.

Other than that, the article seems like a good introduction to Richter's character.

Yeah I kinda just went with the common conception in the West, only aspect I was really lazy in.

7 hours ago, Rapier said:

Don't forget Dracula X. 

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

I feel like it's either favouritism or something akin to that. But hey at least people are suddenly right back into Castlevania. Sad we only got a tweet acknowledging the 30th anniversary...and from the European Twitter account. Oh well, Konami shouldn't be allowed to touch Castlevania or any of their IPs, imo. 

I think it's rather strange that Richter isn't recognized as a big name in the Castlevaina franchise dispite the fact he not only had his own game(Rondo of Blood), but also appears in Symphony of the Night which many gamer circles consider one of the best video games of all time. Richter(in my opinion) was clearly the most obvious choice for Simon's echo fighter based solely on the fact that his inclusion would have been the best excuse to include Symphony of the Night fan service like Alucard's Assist Trophy and music for the Dracula's Castle stage. Well, what do I know about what characters from which series are well known faces? I've only played 3 games in the series so I'm probably qualified to talk about this kind of fandom stuff.

Ah cool! A nice little read!

Honestly, as of this moment, Richter is probably the character I'm most excited for for Ultimate. I never even considered the possibility that he'd make it in, I always just assumed there'd only ever be one Castlevania rep, if any, and it'd be Simon. I'm super happy to be wrong, I really like Richter!

Fantastic read!

I had no idea who Richter was - I've never played a Castlevania game - but he has quickly become a favourite, he won me over with his victory animation, as well as being voiced by David Vincent? Yes please!

52 minutes ago, Lau said:

Fantastic read!

I had no idea who Richter was - I've never played a Castlevania game - but he has quickly become a favourite, he won me over with his victory animation, as well as being voiced by David Vincent? Yes please!

If you want to hear Vincents take on the SoTN lines here you go. 

Richter is considered obscure?

That's weird, I never touch any of the Castlevania series & I knew who Richter.

Granted, they were for the silliest reasons, but it made him one of the most famous protag in the series. Being the main protagonist to one of the best games certainly didn't hurt either.