SF's "Write Your Butt Off" II - Return of Writer's Block

Rapier

SF's Write Your Butt Off! II Votals  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which submission will you vote for?

• "The Heart of Dedication"
    • "The Strength Within"
    • "Simply a Hunter"
    • "One More Time"
    • "Perfected"
    • "No One Is Iredeemable"
    • "Going Forward"

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2019 at 10:00 PM

18 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Is everybody bored with the Xenoblade or not? It's just fresh in my mind I guess. But if people are bored with it yeah.

My presumption going into all of these is I want to be working in the Fire Emblem fandom, because its a fandom I know everyone on this site has at least some degree of familiarity with and connection to--there's no one whose going to find my writing inaccessible or write me off because I'm writing about a fandom that's completely foreign to them. 

Like its hard for me to get into the Xenoblade stuff because I've never played any of the games and have no connection to the setting or any of its characters, but good writing is good writing.

If you've got an idea and you can make it work, make it work!!!

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

My presumption going into all of these is I want to be working in the Fire Emblem fandom, because its a fandom I know everyone on this site has at least some degree of familiarity with and connection to--there's no one whose going to find my writing inaccessible or write me off because I'm writing about a fandom that's completely foreign to them. 

Like its hard for me to get into the Xenoblade stuff because I've never played any of the games and have no connection to the setting or any of its characters, but good writing is good writing.

If you've got an idea and you can make it work, make it work!!!

So are my previous entries "good writing"? I can get your point, and I hope nobody is judging like "I don't know this fandom, so I'm gonna not vote for it".

If I can make it work I will. Cal is a more minor OC but he's my first with some kind of mental issue (antisocial personality disorder). Wasn't the original intention but I realized it the other day and was like OMG.

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

The first one I had some issues with. The second one i thought was a huge improvement and very well done. 

If you can I'd love it if you PMed me the details.

I might participate this time. Do I need to also write how that relationship will end? Can I give it a happy/bad ending, or do I need to focus on their problems and leave it at a cliffhanger?

Timer's up for Round 4, by the way.

I made it last 6 days longer than usual because I couldn't make the calculations for dealing with Daylight Saving Time, which will start in three days in my country. It still consistently ends in two Thursdays from today (11/22).

Edited by Rapier

1 minute ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The joke continues if you want to hear it. There's a great part where they cry over their own ineptitude.

Sounds like that would take a while. Then again, I do have a lot of time, let's do it. (this is technically still writing based right?)

7 hours ago, Rapier said:

I might participate this time. Do I need to also write how that relationship will end? Can I give it a happy/bad ending, or do I need to focus on their problems and leave it at a cliffhanger?

Timer's up for Round 4, by the way.

I made it last 6 days longer than usual because I couldn't make the calculations for dealing with Daylight Saving Time, which will start in three days in my country. It still consistently ends in two Thursdays from today (11/22).

Yet another reason why Daylight Savings should be eliminated.

5 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Okay I need some readers to go over my entry for spelling errors/grammar stuff so if anyone is able/willing.

The frick, you're already done? I actually have something this time, we'll see if I can get it to work, but dang, that was fast.

4 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

The frick, you're already done? I actually have something this time, we'll see if I can get it to work, but dang, that was fast.

I was bored so got writing and had the perfect story for the prompt.  Usually I see a prompt I write and I finish quickly.  I have a slightly strict writing schedule, to the point where I'm working on something every day.  If not then I am not happy...

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yet another reason why Daylight Savings should be eliminated.

"I love turning back the clocks so it gets dark at 4 pm"

Said no one ever.

@AnonymousSpeed @DarthR0xas

I love that joke. COMEDY CLUB WHEEEE

Edited by Dragoncat

16 hours ago, Rapier said:

I might participate this time. Do I need to also write how that relationship will end? 

Optional, but not required.

Also note I never specified it had to be a romantic relationship.

18 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

If you can I'd love it if you PMed me the details.

I can give you the basic rundown here since we're between rounds atm.

In the first one, I found the decision to have the MC get his new job because someone randomly dropped dead in the middle of an exercise regiment--weird, bordering on immersion-breaking. It sorta skewed the tone for the entire narrative. And on the subject of tone: you're tone was all over the place. There were parts where it felt like you were going for lighthearted humor and parts where I felt like you were going for soap opera melodrama; it gave the writing in its entirety a choppy, disjointed feel.

Am I supposed to be amused by the characters antics? Am I supposed to feel bad for him and what hes going through? Idk. 

(There are of course times when you can intentionally use shifting tone as a narrative tool--i.e. to portray something like [corruption of innocence] or [descent into madness]  over the course of a writing. Eclipse i think illustrated a good use of the shifting tone technique in that round between her scenes inside the simulation and her scene outside the simulation; clearly delineating between the two and driving home the sense that the former was an artificial reality separate from the latter. Your first entry seemed like less of that, and more of just not having a clear sense what tone you wanted to set for the story)

In the one you just wrote--everything seemed much more focused and on-point. There was a more consistent narrative tone throughout the piece--it was very clear what emotional response you were trying to invoke and what kind of a reaction you wanted your reader to have.   

And there was just some good, solid writing in there.

I liked it. I just liked AnonymousSpeed's ballsiness and some of the choices he made a bit more. I feel like you maybe played it a bit safe last round, while he went out of his way to take some risks.

Risks that could have blown up in his face and derailed the entire piece, but that he showed enough deftness in approaching to not cross-the-line from controversial to cringeworhty (and the story he chose to present in the hands of a less skilled writer could have very well read as cringeworthy). 

I gota respect a writer that takes risks. 

_________

^^^
Things to keep in mind going into Round #4

Edited by Shoblongoo

36 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Also note I never specified it had to be a romantic relationship.

Oh ok that opens up a couple ideas I’ve been wanting to try. Now I have too many ideas to choose ahhh. Though I suppose that’s a good problem to have.

16 minutes ago, umerol said:

Since I don't write at all, can I still participate?

I would like to try and write.

You seem to be physically capable of typing words and posting them on the internet, so you meet the qualifications.

@Shoblongoo I find that fair and understandable. On the stroke: I guess that's a disadvantage of not knowing the source material, because it's totally in character for the guy to ignore all the warning signs and refuse to go to the doctor. And I did research strokes beforehand to make sure it wasn't impossible. Thanks for explaining.

12 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I guess that's a disadvantage of not knowing the source material

Yeah--thats why I was reluctant to really comment on it.

Like with @DarthR0xas

I can look at what he wrote last round, I can tap into my base of knowledge from playing Fates, and I can go Okay--there's something off about the dialogue here. I know how Nyx as a character talks and describes things--this isn't Nyx. This is the author talking in his narrative voice, putting it in quotation marks, and calling it Nyx's dialogue. If Nyx was describing these events in her own words and patterns of speech this isn't how she would be talking; Nyx doesn't talk like that.  

I can't do that with a fandom I'm not familiar with.