SF's "Write Your Butt Off" II - Return of Writer's Block

Rapier

SF's Write Your Butt Off! II Votals  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which submission will you vote for?

• "The Heart of Dedication"
    • "The Strength Within"
    • "Simply a Hunter"
    • "One More Time"
    • "Perfected"
    • "No One Is Iredeemable"
    • "Going Forward"

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2019 at 10:00 PM

17 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Cool. I don't mind checking it whenever you're done. It's supposed to snow this weekend, so I may be trapped anyway. 

I'm working on something now that I didn't think would fit the theme, but I kind of think it does. I know the rules say you're supposed to only ask for like...grammar and spell check stuff, but am I allowed to ask if it fits the theme as well? I'm kind of working on a very "thinky" piece. It's my first time writing something like this, so I wanna know if it works before I get completely roasted. XD

Sorry but no. That would allow us for discussing plot elements and potentially giving the writer an advantage.

We're supposed to discern what goes with the theme on our own and see if it works during the votals phase. But hey, coming up with something that normally doesn't fit the theme isn't necessarily bad, what with trying something new and interesting. As long as you don't escape the theme completely (on this case, it's very hard to), fine by me~

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

As someone who's played each of the other four Smash games, Ultimate looks good. Perhaps not as tournament-intensive as Melee, but definitely a step up from Sm4sh, which was already a big step up from Brawl. Someone leaked the entire game early as a ROM, so a coworker of mine downloaded it onto his hacked Switch, and he says it's good enough he's still going to buy the actual thing in a couple days. We played two rounds, Chrom v Toon Link and Roy v Marth, since I wanted to test for differences between Sm4sh Roy and 5mash Roy and for differences between Roy and Chrom. Overall, this is gonna be good.

Also the frick were you reading my mind with the opening insert for CF3?

The art was there so the idea happened to be there from the beginng lol XD

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

Sorry but no. That would allow us for discussing plot elements and potentially giving the writer an advantage.

We're supposed to discern what goes with the theme on our own and see if it works during the votals phase. But hey, coming up with something that normally doesn't fit the theme isn't necessarily bad, what with trying something new and interesting. As long as you don't escape the theme completely (on this case, it's very hard to), fine by me~

Okay... I may try to come up with something more straightforward to fit the theme if I have the time then. It may be better to be safe than to try something weird in this case... I'm interested in using what I'm working on for my grad school portfolio, and while I want feedback, this may not be the right place for this particular piece.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Okay... I may try to come up with something more straightforward to fit the theme if I have the time then. It may be better to be safe than to try something weird in this case... I'm interested in using what I'm working on for my grad school portfolio, and while I want feedback, this may not be the right place for this particular piece.

Thanks!

I recommend simply trying your best and seeing if it works. That's the purpose of this 'contest', anyway. If you're having fun and challenging yourself to improve your writing skills, then I'd say your time is well spent.

Also, you could share this piece later, if you want, even if unofficially.

My first draft is done! And much earlier than I expected, that was so much fun to write I'm almost sad it's over, even though it weighs in (currently) at 4223 words.

I assume it's okay for me to self-edit my story it before posting it here, as long as it's before the deadline- and if I get anyone to look over it, it will be 1. right before I post here, and 2. limited to spelling/grammar checking? 

1 hour ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

My first draft is done! And much earlier than I expected, that was so much fun to write I'm almost sad it's over, even though it weighs in (currently) at 4223 words.

I assume it's okay for me to self-edit my story it before posting it here, as long as it's before the deadline- and if I get anyone to look over it, it will be 1. right before I post here, and 2. limited to spelling/grammar checking? 

Fine by me.

1 hour ago, blah the Prussian said:

Well, I drop in for the first time in like a month and find this prompt. So can I ask what the deadline is?

Check the OP, there's a clock showing a countdown. If you're too lazy to do that, and I don't fault you if you are, then the due date is some time on Saturday, December 22.

4 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

Check the OP, there's a clock showing a countdown. If you're too lazy to do that, and I don't fault you if you are, then the due date is some time on Saturday, December 22.

Oh damn, I can definitely do it by then, thanks.

11 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

Well, I drop in for the first time in like a month and find this prompt. So can I ask what the deadline is?

Well, I come back after a full day of nothing but chicken and Smash Bros and find our friendly neighborhood Prussian's not dead after all. Looks like we both get a pleasant surprise, eh? Looking forward to seeing what you've got planned!

The Prussian never dies - he just returns as a reformed monarchic protestant Brandenburg with Quality doomstacks to wipe out the mid and endgame.

This isn't supposed to make sense.

12 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

Well, I drop in for the first time in like a month and find this prompt. 

Ah, a fellow Oxford man. I'm sure we'd all be glad to have you in the competition.

That being said, maybe I should sit down and actually get to writing my story.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:51 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ah, a fellow Oxford man. I'm sure we'd all be glad to have you in the competition.

That being said, maybe I should sit down and actually get to writing my story.

Huh, if you don't mind me asking what college were/are you in?

48 minutes ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

One more question, do I have until tomorrow to submit my entry or until the 22nd? which is two days after I turn 22!!  On the OP it says that writers have two weeks to compose and submit their entries. Mine will probably be ready by tomorrow anyway, though.

You have more than tomorrow. On the OP there's also a timer that shows when the round will end. It's the green link that says timer.

I gave three weeks on purpose. Yeah, this round will end on the 22nd.

I might also give more time for voting during the vote phase, since Christmas gets us busy.

Hey, just letting you guys know that while I still won't be very active here anymore, Dcat convinced me to at least stay in the writing contests. Though I think I'll pass on the current one. The theme isn't a bad idea, it's just a bit too vague for my liking. I get that it's meant to be vague though. And also, I think the deadline is a bit too close anyway. Christmas prep is taking up some time, so I don't think I'd have enough time to come up with an entry and write one regardless.

On 12/14/2018 at 7:25 PM, Anacybele said:

Hey, just letting you guys know that while I still won't be very active here anymore, Dcat convinced me to at least stay in the writing contests. Though I think I'll pass on the current one. The theme isn't a bad idea, it's just a bit too vague for my liking. I get that it's meant to be vague though. And also, I think the deadline is a bit too close anyway. Christmas prep is taking up some time, so I don't think I'd have enough time to come up with an entry and write one regardless.

Eyyy, glad to have you, Ana!

On 12/14/2018 at 9:25 PM, Anacybele said:

Welcome back kiddo. Stick around for a while.