Building low tier units

Loki Laufeyson

Building low tier units  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like building low tier guys?

• Yes! There's something amazing about my +10 Male Corrin blowing things up!
    • No. Its a waste of time and resources.
    • Only for meme stuff.
    • I like peanuts

26 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

It's not a problem for me but for players that care about BST, both your Robins have super banes...

M!Robin's nature has no effect on BST scoring. BST scoring is based on chunks of 5 rounded down, so BSTs of 151, 152, 153, and 154 are treated as 150 BST. His BST spread is 148 to 149, so he will always be treated as 145 BST.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

Lovely.  Are you going to say what you're doing, instead of taking potshots at the subject?

My other odd project is Jakob - I'm waiting to see if he gets a personal weapon.  I also need something on the order of 200,000 feathers, which won't happen anytime soon (Leon/Ares merges come first).

i legit thought I did. Must have been a different thread. (I was sleepy at the time. My bad)

I think my big low tier projects I'm doing are

• Oboro (Done and just wants merges)
  • Beruka-Current fishing for perfect IVs.
  • Setsuna-Fishing for +atk
  • Est- Needs promo
  • Canas- Done. Gave him atk/res bond and atk ploy. he does just fine.
  • Kagero- done and wants merges someday
  • Bartre- wants promotion.

I generally just check my barracks for everyone and if some dude has perfect IVs, I give them a blue heart for future project use. Oboro's been a fine mixed tank with Slaying Lance+ Res refine,  steady stance 3, and the QR seal!.

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

M!Robin's attack is not that high, at 29 neutral. With a Blarserpent, he will reach 41. Then, 45 Atk at Lv 40 +10. A +Atk Robin has 48 Atk. I would prefer to have a +Atk Robin.

Your Robin being a +Atk/-HP with refined Blarserpent (+Def), will have 42 HP / 48 Atk / 33 Spd / 36 Def / 26 Res. With +6 Def/Res from the serpent tome, which I still don't know why we don't have the green and red versions yet, Robin can be a really good enemy phase unit. What are your Robin's others skills?

It's not a problem for me but for players that care about BST, both your Robins have super banes...

Yeah, he's a great enemy phase unit! And his attack is atrocious, but I try to mitigate it with Res Smoke 3. One hit and then position him to soak up damage and retaliate. It helps.

He has Bonfire/CC/Vantage3/Res Smoke3/Quick Riposte3. I just love letting him soak up damage and usually with res smoke, he can deal some pretty good damage (plus I always support him with a dancer/atk tactic so he's usually reaching 49-52 atk) to supplement. Yeah, he has so many superbane's it's annoying. My only other option is that neutral one they gave us, but I just lose all around on that build. 

I usually build up every 5* unit I get, regardless of whether they're any good or not, unless they're a fodder unit. While I don't give them all expensive builds, I do generally fill out every slot with a useful skill. Every unit in this game can be useful, if you want to put the energy and resources into making them so. That's one nice aspect of this game. Nobody is unusable.

As for some of my projects, here's Fir.

Spoiler

fIUgsDv.png

She also has Aether and Rally Atk/Def for Arena points, but this build has more utility. I built her up to +10 prior to her getting the Nameless Blade upgrade. Back then, she was typically listed at the bottom of the rankings. I'm F2P, and she's my 3rd 5*+10 unit. Cherche was actually supposed to be my 3rd, but I'm still waiting on those last two copies. Fir went from +0 to +10 in the meantime. Oh well! So it goes. I'm happy with how Fir came out.

I also plan on making all of the Whitewings +10. Est is currently the only one finished, since she's a core member of my Arena team. But here are all three in their current states!

Spoiler

i1oYdr8.jpg

For Est, I went with a speedy Brave Lance build. While she's a bit physically frail, she only needs to survive one hit to get her in the Desperation range, and then it's Quad City! The Brash Assault SS + Desperation combo really is quite nice. Est also has the coveted Hone Fliers available, for when she wants to play on Flier Emblem teams.

For Catria, I turned her into a flying speed tank. With her Spd/Def Bond activated, she'll hit 43 Def and 40 Spd, prior to any buffs she can get from her allies. Renewal allows her to consistently sustain herself in combat, and she can easily take on multiple melee enemies.

As for Palla... I've been waiting to finish building her, but, even so, she still performs quite well on Flier Emblem teams, or solo when there are a lot of greens on hand that I need to shut down.

@Sunsurge

I'm currently running

[+Spd, -Res]

Blarraven+
Reposition
Bonfire
Close Counter
Quick Riposte 3
Spur Def 3

but I'm planning to switch the build to something like

[+Atk, -Spd]

Blarowl+ [Def]
Reposition
Bonfire
Close Counter
Guard 3
Spur Def/Res 2 (or a Drive of some sort)
Quick Riposte 3

to match what I'm currently running on female Robin.

The super bane in Spd is actually a good thing because he wants to be doubled to activate Bonfire.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

but I'm planning to switch the build to something like

[+Atk, -Spd]

Blarowl+ [Def]
Reposition
Bonfire
Close Counter
Guard 3
Spur Def/Res 2 (or a Drive of some sort)
Quick Riposte 3

to match what I'm currently running on female Robin.

The super bane in Spd is actually a good thing because he wants to be doubled to activate Bonfire.

Would not Blarserpent be better in that case then? So he does not receive a Spd boost from close allies? Or is he mostly going to face melee enemies?

12 minutes ago, XRay said:

Would not Blarserpent be better in that case then? So he does not receive a Spd boost from close allies? Or is he mostly going to face melee enemies?

Melee enemies is the issue.

The lowest tier units that I use most often are my Marisa (who’s a a part of my main team and is invaluable to me, I mean just take a look at some of my Infernal clears), Mathilda (distant counter + Berkut’s Lance makes her a fantastic mage counter and a dragon duelist, even if she struggles with actuallly killing dragons), and this gal

9DBD8F3C-8856-4385-B0F2-5ECCF7B83943.thumb.png.15a55511dd420c5ad13ee079ec5c8619.png

She can’t hurt a fly, but she’s fantastic for leveling up units. Her bulk makes her nigh unkillable making her a great wall and healer for units that need it, plus she can occasionally soften units up for them. I initially built her for the humor of it but she’s been incredibly useful. 

I've given some low-tier units cheap builds mainly to use them as counterpick units.

Tobin: +Def Armorsmasher+, Bonfire, Axebreaker 3/Swordbreaker 3, Hone Atk 3, Seal Atk 1
Clive: Sapphire Lance, Swap, Ignis, Quick Riposte 1, Hone Cavalry
Canas: Draw Back, Glacies, Green Tomebreaker
Merric: Lancebreaker 3
Mathilda: Draw Back, Glimmer, Atk +3, Swordbreaker 2
Est: Moonbow, Atk +3, Hit and Run, Goad Fliers
Virion: Brave Bow, Draw Back, Luna, Swordbreaker 3
Oboro: Bonfire, HP +5, Swordbreaker 3, Hone Atk 3
Ogma: Ruby Sword, Swap, Def +3, Swordbreaker 3
Stahl: Swap, Ignis, Swordbreaker 1, Spur Def 2
Seth: Swap, Bonfire, Swordbreaker 3, Spur Def 3
Hawkeye: Emerald Axe, Swap, Green Tomebreaker 2
Raigh: Moonbow, Green Tomebreaker 3, Savage Blow 3

Of course, I build who I like, and if I like a character that happens to be low tier, then we just figure out how to make them work. Most of my husbandos are low-tier and I 5*'d all of them with no regrets~ I find it preferable than using higher-tiered character that I don't care about (like Fjorm, but I need more Lance users so I may grind her up one day)~

On 8/15/2018 at 3:01 AM, Humanoid said:

@Johann's Cain is the only reason I get tier 25 in GC.

I've been making a list of who's forum name corresponds to who's in-game name, who're you in game? Anyway, sometimes I think about switching in someone else, but I think most people would prefer him to whatever else I could possibly use.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:59 AM, Xenomata said:

...I mean, I don't talk about him much either, but I don't actually recall ANYONE ELSE bringing him up...

Was out of town for the past week, but yeah Cain's been my #1 dude since literally my first summon.

cain_10.jpg.dbe98f629ecfeaf613e20f8fd686886b.jpg

Kinda surprised yours had a hard time against Veronica way back then since even my original -Atk Cain could take her out without trouble.

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

I've been making a list of who's forum name corresponds to who's in-game name, who're you in game? Anyway, sometimes I think about switching in someone else, but I think most people would prefer him to whatever else I could possibly use.

Alessia, running Lilina lead usually but stranded at +9 at the moment.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

Alessia, running Lilina lead usually but stranded at +9 at the moment.

Oh right on, your Lilina's been in my GC line-up for Infantry, and I even slip her in towards the end in my normal cavalry setup simply for Forblaze's effect making it easier to get kills if I'm fumbling the last stretch

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

Oh right on, your Lilina's been in my GC line-up for Infantry, and I even slip her in towards the end in my normal cavalry setup simply for Forblaze's effect making it easier to get kills if I'm fumbling the last stretch

Always a little awkward because she's in my arena core and I end up switching out to Growing Flame and Heavy Blade for points which makes her a bit more awkward to use than Glimmer and Atk +3. But then maybe Growing Flame is preferred for GC, hmm.

Just now, Humanoid said:

Always a little awkward because she's in my arena core and I end up switching out to Growing Flame and Heavy Blade for points which makes her a bit more awkward to use than Glimmer and Atk +3. But then maybe Growing Flame is preferred for GC, hmm.

It can be crazy useful in GC, especially when clearing out the large groups that congregate around the forts (which is an even bigger problem in Infernal+). I gave Growing Wind to my Brave Lyn and it's proven to be quite exceptional for that sort of thing, particularly in those moments where several enemies on the side need just a little more damage to go down. Pretty nice to ignore Breath skills, Distant/Close Def, Deflect, etc, so on someone like Lilina, it's an instant kill on harsh units like Zelgius or Grima if they don't use Vantage (which they rarely do these days). Dropping an armored unit's HP below 50% if they have Wary Fighter is a huge help too since the damage counts before combat.

1 minute ago, Johann said:

It can be crazy useful in GC, especially when clearing out the large groups that congregate around the forts (which is an even bigger problem in Infernal+). I gave Growing Wind to my Brave Lyn and it's proven to be quite exceptional for that sort of thing, particularly in those moments where several enemies on the side need just a little more damage to go down. Pretty nice to ignore Breath skills, Distant/Close Def, Deflect, etc, so on someone like Lilina, it's an instant kill on harsh units like Zelgius or Grima if they don't use Vantage (which they rarely do these days). Dropping an armored unit's HP below 50% if they have Wary Fighter is a huge help too since the damage counts before combat.

I should probably sacrifice my next Soren or Merric for the more useful pattern I guess, been doing a 4* merge for each but no rush on that. And hopefully I remember two switch up her skillset when required. Shame Blazing Wind is probably not so great at GC because you can't always target the one unit on the fort.

I made this thing a while ago (still stuck at +6 u.u ):

Niles.thumb.jpg.84b21764bfac25f3209947de1c3008ff.jpg

Now he has 43 Res, to ploy thing even better! I’m considering to switch DD SS for another ploy ?

Also, I’ve built Palla, Subaki and I’m working with Donnel, but can’t upload new photos right now

@Johann Wow, you give him Desperation, and he can basicly do the same as a more expensive Brave Roy.

@Javi Blizz This is exactly what I was expecting from this topic. Although +5 and 39 attack, he's clearly not built for the role to damage, so what is he used for?

@Garlyle, actually he’s +6! But yeah, 39 attack. For that time, my Arena team had some issues with green mages (B!Ike/Fjorm couldn’t do much to them and M!Marth didn’t had DC by that time), although now he’s there for general mage tanking/killing. B!Ike has Infantry Pulse, so Niles takes 0 damage and them procede to Iceberg into oblivion the enemy mage. He’s also great in PvE, f.e. Infernal Julius could only scratch him when activating his special.

Now that Arena is about killing with bonus units, I’m considering to change the SS to either Def Ploy/Spd Ploy (only for Arena, not PvE) to make things easier. But since Fjorm is not anymore in my Arena core (now B!Ike +10/M!Marth +6/Niles +6) he still may want DD to let me deal with any red/blue mage (although there are not much of them in my ~720 scores)

Male Corrin is most definitely not bad, and let alone Low Tier (unless there's something I'm missing). "Low Tier" shouldn't even exist, given how balanced this game is.

Fuck the system.

Screenshot_2018-07-19-22-18-59_0.png?wid

My +spd -res mCorrin is quite good. He just requires a good amount of investment to be at his best. He refine while not the flashest give him a good overall stat boost. I find that tier list in Heroes underrate characters with mixed bulk unless you're an armor unit.

JnQ0bEa.png

2 hours ago, Junkhead said:

"Low Tier" shouldn't even exist, given how balanced this game is.

It would be more accurate to say "lower-tier" instead of "low-tier" as it truly is a relative term.

As I mentioned of Gamepedia's tier list, one of the things I like most about it is the fact that its lowest occupied tier is intentionally labeled "B-".

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

since when is Male Corrin low tier?

he's an insane buffbot for one dude.

Mostly for the fact that the buff is just for that one unit. His usual comparison is against Marth, who has a weaker buff, but is more flexible.

That said, he's not really all that low, either. Gamepedia ranks him at A-. Sure, that's one tier into the lower half, but I wouldn't really consider that particularly low.