Building low tier units

Loki Laufeyson

Building low tier units  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like building low tier guys?

• Yes! There's something amazing about my +10 Male Corrin blowing things up!
    • No. Its a waste of time and resources.
    • Only for meme stuff.
    • I like peanuts

Do you like building scrub units, freebies, vanilla Jakobs, and generally what is considered a less than good unit? 

I for one, find it hella fun to take a unit like Jagen and make him work. (Im currently working on one) i have a rather ridiculous Stahl i built from the ground up. He can really ruin someone's day. I hope to merge him more when i get more Stahls. I also have a Florina that does some stupid shit. I dont have enough to +10 her yet, but soon~~

show off your bad/low tier unit projects here if you want!

image.png

image.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there a thread like this before? It's probably dead now though, so no matter.

I built a Stahl a long time ago too! He was part of my first horse team back when I only had a few horses to work with, namely him, Freddy, Camus, and Reinhardt. Mine just used a budget build though, I didn't change his weapon or anything. I slapped QR and Ward Cavalry on him and that was it for any investment besides his base kit. :P

I also built a Donnel and Palla.

I just build lower tier units if they're characters I really like and I liked Stahl, Donny, and Palla enough. I think they're the only low tiers I built though. And I don't have screens of them, unfortunately. I don't feel like taking any of them atm either.

Seth is considered low? What? He's basically better Stahl though! And he was really good for me when he was part of my main horse team. Though to be fair, I DID get him with +Atk... But I built him up too because I also really liked him.

I wonder who else I've built up now that's considered low, if there are any others I don't know about.

One of my goals is to make the strongest Raigh possible.  I just need to figure out whether or not +Atk or +Spd will be better.  Also waiting for -owl to be generically available, so I don't have to sacrifice his uncle.

If you mean building them by pimping them out, then no, that will be a huge waste of resources.

I do build them to 4*+10 for Arena Assault though, generally along the lines of [Gem Weapons/effective Weapons, Glimmer, Reposition/Swap, Fury/Attack +3/Triangle Adept, Breaker/Quick Riposte].

I don't know if she's exactly lowtier, but I wanted to build my Clair with Berkut's Lance, Reposition / Draw Back, Glacies, Distant Counter, Guard and Goat Fliers. However I'm still lacking on a (unused) Hector.

Also working on a Klein merge, but I don't consider him as bad at all.

Barst is on my to build list as well.

Edited by Jules

low tier units arent really low tier in my eyes. I think it really depends on the Team composition they run in. and some low tier units become alot stronger with higher merges even if their initial stat spread was crap.

When i build a low tier unit like Azama/Boey/Karel/Clair the first thing i think about is: what is their strength?

Clair: SPD and RES
Karel: HP and special dmg (and somewhat speed)
Azama: high physical bulk
Boey: high phyiscial bulk

Then i start giving them out dedicated roles. What are they supposed to counter in a Team of 4? What is their role?
Usually my Teams consist of:
Physical wall
Magical wall
support
a strong offensiv unit

for exmaple in the case of Clairs Team:
Clair: Magical wall against dragons and red + blue nukers, and she covers the red melees Ike cant handle
BIke: Phsical wall
Saizo: support (smoke daggers) and a physical wall/bow bait
Gunnthra: support and strong nuker once Saizos debuffs are on

Even though this Team runs 2 low tier units it works perfectly well in AA and Arena. They each have their role and surprisingly usually Clair or Saizo do the haevy liftign most of the time.

Another example is Boeys Team:
Magical/semi physical wall: Fjorm (she runs Berkuts lance with a res refine and Distant Counter)
Physical wall: Boey runs Blade tome, Close Counter, QR and Fortress Def seal with a +DEF nature
Green magical wall and cavalry/armor sweaper: Caeda
Support: Elise

This Team has all bases covered, and if an enemy shows up that i have no clear answer, then Elise can gravity stalk them to hell.

Sometimes i try to mitgate their weakness. In the case of Boey i gave him a Gronnblade+ because it works very well in a Tactics team buff and it boosts his Attack up to the moon. But again this depends on Team composition.

Wierdly enough all my Teams have at least one to 2 low tier units in them that are considered not high tier but mid or low tier. But it works. In their Team composition they pull their weight and cover what they are supposed to cover.

I really dont think it is feasable to rate the Unit alone, it is a game about a Team consisting of 4 units, so i would rather rate the Team composition/setup instead of the single unit alone.

Edited by Hilda

i think the main definition of "high tier" comes down to a combo of:

• Native DC
  • Ease of Merges
  • Really good Prfs
  • Good native skills
  • good stats.

I love oboro, but she sure isn't as good as someone like Shiro without some heavy investment. (Gave her steady stance 6, Slaying spear, and a bunch of other shit. Easily 2 5* units)

But then I'd also recommend newer players to start off by raising high tier units to cheese the game asap so they can grab resources for their faves. I promoted a rein asap just to get prepped for more pve.

2 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

i think the main definition of "high tier" comes down to a combo of:

You bring up a good point. Everyone's personal tier list is a bit different.

I see melee units as complete trash, unless they have some sort of non combat utility, like Dancers/Singers, buffers, combat medics, or high scorers (i.e.: armor units).

I think the only melee units I promoted, kept, and merged are Olivia, Eirika, Marth!Lucina, Zephiel, Effie, and Sheena.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

You bring up a good point. Everyone's personal tier list is a bit different.

I see melee units as complete trash, unless they have some sort of non combat utility, like Dancers/Singers, buffers, combat medics, or high scorers (i.e.: armor units).

I think the only melee units I promoted, kept, and merged are Olivia, Eirika, Marth!Lucina, Zephiel, Effie, and Sheena.

they're all different, but like

I get why someone would think melee is trash, but then I also know that as a f2p player who doesn't have a fully built roster, I'm gonna be overly relying on any half-decent melee units for a long ass time.

Eirika in particular is just amazingly nifty.

Hey, if I see them perform well in the training session or I have a fun build I want to try out, I'll give it a shot, but other than that, I'll stay away from this difficult area. In Tier lists I see Finn and Jaffar at the lower end, but I am for one see potential for them in some teams.

But I think my biggest scrub is a 5* Seliph, something I bet a lot of people don't have. He is not finished yet, and looks like a waste of feathers so far, but with some investment, I hope he'll be as fun to use as his father on a horse. He has Divine Tyrfing, and I could give him Aether and Warding Breath right now, but I think Steady Breath would be better for him. Plus I don't have Deflect Magic 3 ready yet.

I'll post a picture when he's ready.

I don't know about "low tier", but I do know a unit I see almost no one talk about, literally ever, is Cain.

Cain was one of my original units, but me being naive I built him into a TA3 Brave Sword because I needed someone to take on Veronica in the first TT, and he happened to be handy. Ironically, he couldn't kill her, just greatly weaken her.

But now, he's a powerful Firesweep Sword user, and I'm glad to have gotten pity broken by him over a year ago. At the very least, I don't have to give up Brave Roy or Siegbert's personal weapons just to have a good Firesweep Sword user.

...I mean, I don't talk about him much either, but I don't actually recall ANYONE ELSE bringing him up...

8KacS0V.jpg?1

I have both of the original Robins fully built and at their maximum possible merge (+10 on male Robin, +6 on female Robin).

Legendary Lyn is ranked pretty low for the Arena because her primary role (magic tank) is too specific to rank higher, but I have her fully built and merged, and she's been amazing in PvE. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to make use of her much in Arena or Arena Assault because whale tier is made of things that she can't handle very well without a lot of support.

The one thing I like most about Gamepedia's tier list is how they label their tiers. The lowest occupied tier is labeled "B-", which I feel is an accurate representation of the units' effectiveness.

The bottom of the barrel in this game simply isn't all that deep for most practical purposes.

3 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

build who ya want. make projects and have fun.

Lovely.  Are you going to say what you're doing, instead of taking potshots at the subject?

My other odd project is Jakob - I'm waiting to see if he gets a personal weapon.  I also need something on the order of 200,000 feathers, which won't happen anytime soon (Leon/Ares merges come first).

I've being working on Roy recently. He is +3 and I already have enough copies of him to make a +10 Roy. I only need feathers. He is +Def/-HP, and he has Refined Binding Blade, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Renewal, Spur Def/Res and Atk/Def Seal.

A unit I am planning to build is Donnel. Mine is +Atk/-Res and right now he has: Carrot Lance+, Reposition, Luna, Fury 3, Lancebreaker, Threaten Def 3. I would like to have  a +Atk/-Hp Donny.

Titania is also a unit I am planning to invest it. I have a +Atk/-Res one too, and her Draconic Poleax will be a good thing in my Tactic Team.

Faye is considered a low tier unit, right? I would love to do a +10 Faye, but she is a 5* unit so... this will probably not happen.

I would have enough copies of M!Robin to build him, but a lot of Robins were used for Bonfire fodder... too bad...

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I have both of the original Robins fully built and at their maximum possible merge (+10 on male Robin, +6 on female Robin).

What's your bane/boon on your M!Robin? I'm 20k feathers from getting him +10 and am deciding between his original +Def/-Spd or +Atk/-HP.

But M!Robin is the only unit that's REALLY low tier that I've bothered with currently. And Alfonse I'd TOTALLY throw merges at if he had them available, but he was the first (and only) of the Askr trio I promoted and was parted of my OG team of M!Robin/Lucina/Ephraim/Alfonse (yes I didn't have a green unit for like forever).

I would ideally like to build up Klein (he was one of my favorite early on in the game). But right now, just M!Robin.

Original Jakob is one I have built and I am working on merges, but other projects are taking my feathers right now.  I fully built Seth I just need to give him a slaying edge and some merges and I will put him back in my horse rotation since my other built horses are HM capped.  I fully built and 5*ed a +atk Gordin since Klein took over a year to show up as not -atk.  I fully built F!Robin as an anti horse mage but she will forever be +1 since I used most of her copies as fodder.  I fully built Kaze and when he finally decides to show up when I summon he will become +10 because I love him and will not fodder him he is at +2 right now and he blows anything magic to pieces and and hurts other units as well.  Any male dancer is on this list as well I guess since most people ton't use them that much.

47 minutes ago, Sunsurge said:

What's your bane/boon on your M!Robin? I'm 20k feathers from getting him +10 and am deciding between his original +Def/-Spd or +Atk/-HP.

He's still running his old [+Spd, -Res] from way back when Takumi was still popular in the Arena, and I never bothered to change it.

I'm currently considering [+Atk, -Spd], but I've so far been pretty indecisive. He's also still running Blarraven and hasn't yet been switched over to Blarowl.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

He's still running his old [+Spd, -Res] from way back when Takumi was still popular in the Arena, and I never bothered to change it.

I'm currently considering [+Atk, -Spd], but I've so far been pretty indecisive. He's also still running Blarraven and hasn't yet been switched over to Blarowl.

I'm definitely indecisive about it. I'm leaning towards keeping his +Def since he has CC + Blarserpent (+Def), which just makes him a wall against anything that's not Green, but that damage output is a bit lacking. 

2 hours ago, Sunsurge said:

But M!Robin is the only unit that's REALLY low tier that I've bothered with currently. And Alfonse I'd TOTALLY throw merges at if he had them available, but he was the first (and only) of the Askr trio I promoted and was parted of my OG team of M!Robin/Lucina/Ephraim/Alfonse (yes I didn't have a green unit for like forever).

I would ideally like to build up Klein (he was one of my favorite early on in the game). But right now, just M!Robin.

1 hour ago, Sunsurge said:

I'm definitely indecisive about it. I'm leaning towards keeping his +Def since he has CC + Blarserpent (+Def), which just makes him a wall against anything that's not Green, but that damage output is a bit lacking. 

M!Robin's attack is not that high, at 29 neutral. With a Blarserpent, he will reach 41. Then, 45 Atk at Lv 40 +10. A +Atk Robin has 48 Atk. I would prefer to have a +Atk Robin.

Your Robin being a +Atk/-HP with refined Blarserpent (+Def), will have 42 HP / 48 Atk / 33 Spd / 36 Def / 26 Res. With +6 Def/Res from the serpent tome, which I still don't know why we don't have the green and red versions yet, Robin can be a really good enemy phase unit. What are your Robin's others skills?

It's not a problem for me but for players that care about BST, both your Robins have super banes...