Patching Hardcopies

Jotari

So I picked up a physical copy of New Mystery today. I love Shadow Dragon, but for some reason the sequel just never engaged me. I think it might be because DS emmulators feel stranger due to the whole double screen. Anyway I have a physical copy now, how straight forward would it be to apply the translation and DLC patches to it? Not the end of the world if I have to play the thing in Japanese, but it would be nice to have it on my DS in English (also do you need to clear it once to play hard mode? Not particularly interested in playing normal mode).

Edited by Jotari

Wait hold up, like a legit copy of New Mystery and you can patch it to have the English translation on there? That's possible?

For me I just bought an R4 and that's the only game I have on there. I couldn't stand playing on an emulator either so I used my 3DS. But to make up for using an R4 and the fact that I'm a crazy collector, I bought an authentic copy of the game myself. I can't play that on the 3DS, but the DS is a go! I'll beat the Japanese version one day but I really like playing it for the story so... it may be a while.

1 hour ago, PersonWithTime said:

Wait hold up, like a legit copy of New Mystery and you can patch it to have the English translation on there? That's possible?

For me I just bought an R4 and that's the only game I have on there. I couldn't stand playing on an emulator either so I used my 3DS. But to make up for using an R4 and the fact that I'm a crazy collector, I bought an authentic copy of the game myself. I can't play that on the 3DS, but the DS is a go! I'll beat the Japanese version one day but I really like playing it for the story so... it may be a while.

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking. Theoretically it should be, you might need to buy some kind of card reader or something, but I'm hoping there's some way to get the game to try and read the SD card slot and get patched that way. But I suppose SD Cards only became a thing with DSI, so it probably is impossible without forking out the case for extremly specific equipment. Still, hopefully someone wise on the subject can comment.

Also damn, your right, it doesn't work on 3DS. I was led to believe it would. I'll just have to wait another year until I can get my hands on my DSI then. Either that or buy a Japanese 3DS.

I know, it's ridiculous how crazy they are about region lock on the 3DS. I thought it'd only apply to 3DS games.

And I'm sure there'd be a way to do it with an SD card, that's how Project M worked for Smash Bros Brawl. I wish someone would come up with a way to unflip Twilight Princess on Wii with an SD card, but that's me getting carried away! I wish I was smart regarding this stuff, then it'd totally do it myself. But sadly I'm totally clueless.

If you can't find any way you can hard patch it I would recommend an R4. If you're only putting one game on there, especially one that's Japanese elusive that you still own a real copy off, I feel like it's morally justified. The only thing with them is that, while they're really easy to take out of the original DS, it's harder to take out on the original 3DS. I have to press it down on the far left side for it to come out. But the original 3DS is still my favourite way to play that game. I don't think I'll ever put it in my New 3DS XL because it feels like you have to push the cartridge in way too far and that's my main handheld so I worry about it. But everything is up to you so do it however you think is best.