FE noob in need of some advice

Camilla's Brassiere

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance to anyone who clicked and is now reading. Back when Awakening first came out I owned a 3DS and was going to buy Awakening (it was impossible not to hear somebody talking about the hype of that game at the time), but never got around to it. Now I've kind of caught the RPG bug again, and the Fire Emblem games are high on my radar. I've been consuming videos on the series like a Gypsy Moth eating through a forest, so I'm well versed in knowledge of the games, and played through Fire Emblem Warriors as a soft intro to the series since it featured many characters, and had some of FE's key defining mechanics to accompany the Dynasty Warrior engine, as well as the demo for awakening. 

Now it's time to actually get into the games and for the most part, people all say to play the first GBA game that was released here in the States, so I purchased a 21 in one multicart, containing that and the other two FE GBA games as a bonus, I played it for a bit, but it couldn't save any of the games. I found another seller who has individual reproductions of each GBA game, plus some fan games, for pretty cheap. I was gonna just pick up Blazing Blade, but I do really like the mechanics of the gameplay, and all the characters seem cool, so I may just pick them all up.

My big issue is time, I don't like to devote to much time to games, nor can I afford to. My big question for all the veteran players is just how long does a typical playthrough of a Fire Emblem games is (based on series and gaming system). Originally I just wanted to get Blazing Blade, Awakening, and then the upcoming Switch game, but I also feel like I could sink some time into this and really enjoy the characters/gameplay, especially for the GBA, 3DS, and NES/SNES. That being said, if these are games that take a lot of time to play through (which is fine) then I wouldn't want to limit my brief gaming time to just Fire Emblem, even if I really do get that into the series.

For now, I'm leaning toward the Blazing Blade, Awakening, and Three Houses plan.

Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks again for reading. 

length of run depends on how you play. a speedrun that i saw of blazing blade(just call it fe7 its quicker) took about 2 hours, but my first playthrough took like 25-hours. that being said, i was trash at fe back then, and i could probably beat it much faster now, if i didn't find it boring that is, so yeah, play time is massively relative to skill level, so not much concrete to say.

if i had to reccomend a game to get you into the style of gameplay that most entries in the series share, then i recommend fates: conquest, since you already have a 3ds, that and awakening is piss easy, and not much to sink ones teeth into, birthright too, to a lesser extent, with revelations just being utter hot garbage.

however, i would like to say, as you are almost certainly aware, from your rather godlike username, that fates has an high amount of fanservice, in spite of its excellent map design and general gameplay, so if that particularly bothers you, then you should stick with the GBA games, as they are not particularly fanservicey, especially in comparison to fates. 

if your looking to play fire emblem faster, then you should consider simply emulating, and using speed-up. basically everyone on the site uses emulators to play at least ONE game in the series, so no judgement here, especially considering the small number of alternatives, what with nintendo's awful track record with localizing popular games  *cough cough*FE6*cough cough* .

thats most of the things i can think of to help out, so maybe just stick around to enjoy the community!

whatever, see you about!

I also recommend Fates Conquest as it was the game to introduce me to the series and definitely gave me an idea of what to expect, haha. It got me hooked.

Ignoring the games I started but didn't finish, I afterwards went Birthright -> Revelation -> Awakening -> Echoes -> Blazing -> Path of Radiance (Playing this one currently). They're all pretty great, granted people do criticize the Fates games' story/characters and Echoes for some of its maps. As for the length of a typical playthrough? Well most Fire Emblem games I can think of off the top of my head have around 20 chapters. Converting that to hours/minutes? I'll see if I can find a cleared save file that didn't get wiped when my 3DS broke and reply.

Edited by Arcphoenix

For the GBA games i would say min 20 hours. any shorter you would probably miss stuff and not get the full experience. Fire emblem games are longer then the majority which is a good thing, the more content the better.  Fe7 is a good place to start. Fe6 takes place after FE7 events but its a harder game in general. FE8 is the shortest with only 22 chapters but has the most extra content after the game/during the game. 

I takes me around 20 hours to do a full playthrough of an FE game the first time around but once I have played a game once I can breeze through after.  I honestly would say you should start with Awakening since it is really good for a first game.  FE 8 might be a good place to start for you since it is a shorter game, it was the FE game I started with.  The nice thing about FE is you can just play a chapter and then take a break which means while it may take you awhile to beat the game you can do it in small steps so you don't take up too much time a day since it seems you don't have time for a several chapters at once.  If you have a Wii U (i know most people don't) you can buy FE 7, 8 and Shadow Dragon on the Eshop so you don't have to mess with bootleg carts.  My advice would be just emulate the games you want to play that you can't find legal copies of, because bootleg carts tend to have major problems with them.

Welcome to the Forest, Cammila's Brassiere!

Well, that's an unusual introduction but that's fine.

As far as I remember, it took me around 20 to 30 hours to complete a Fire Emblem that's linear (FE6, FE7, FE9, FE10, FE11, FE12 and FE14Conquest).

I'd recommend starting with Blazing Blade or Sacred Stones.

Have a nice day and enjoy your stay!

Others have already noted on the time it takes to complete a Fire Emblem game, though I will note that Fire Emblem 8 is probably shorter if you choose to use Seth. Furthermore, a run can be shortened more if you choose to use the speed-up feature that many emulators have (I, for one, passively run most of my GBA FE roms at 1.5x constantly), and if you choose to turn animations off.

I always recommend newcomers to the series start with Fire Emblem 8: Sacred Stones, since it's probably the easiest. Blazing Blade is also a good starting point since, as you mentioned, it's the first one to release in the west. It's really up to you, though.

Sacred Stones is probably the easiest, and shortest.

Anyway, welcome~!  Don't forget to read the rules and all!  And do exercise some taste.

(end generic greeting)

As others have mentioned, how good you are determines wildly how long these games are. If you're really tight for time, you can iron mode them, which is way most of the games were designed, but not the way most people play them. Most people reset whenever any of their characters die (because danging empathy we just can't help it) which can outright double the play time of the game (unless like you're really good and never lose a character at all, which you're not likely to be when you're stating out). Speeding up walkking animations is an ption in the GBA games, I believe, definitely swap to Map animations in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Starting from Shadow Dragon you can skip basically everything including enemy turns with the press of the button, though obviously that runs the risk of something slipping past your attention.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Gotta say, it's kinda surprising to see just how right the internet was about the fandom being so fragmented in terms of opinions fo the games. Still, makes it all the cooler that people can unite on a site like this, especially to help out someone new. 

A few of you mentioned emulation, but other than the correct pronunciation, I don't know the first thing about emulation.

Some business has come up in the last week, so I'm going to wait for it to resolve before I decide on buying any games at all. Though feel free to continue leaving suggestions if you'd like, more info is always good, and every comment has been greatly appreciated :):