Rank the Ultimate roster by (canonical) strength

Zapp Branniglenn

You know, I understand that Bowser is cool and all but I still don’t get why he is constantly placed higher than Mario in most of these rankings.

Anytime Bowser is shown to be more powerful than Mario said powers come from outside sources (usually magikoopas or some stolen magical staff). Even then, all of that newfound power usually amounts to nothing as Mario is able to beat him with little more than a common mushroom (sometimes even without it). Heck, Mario is even physically strong enough to simply grab Bowser by the tail and chuck him fair distances away like it’s nothing. The only reason Mario doesn’t finish his daily routine of walloping Bowser in under a second is because he usually has to deal with 8 worlds chock full of Bowser’s minions before reaching him.

Bowser is no more than a chump compared to the behemoth that is Mario.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Gotta say, after seeing a few of these tiers, i'm surprised that i'm the only one that ranked the Pits high enough to be in the top three tiers. Both Pit and Dark Pit have slayed Gods (maybe not permanently but still defeated them), with Pit beating one of the Big Three of Greek mythology.

yo dw I'm on that Pit train. Since my rule is no assistance from other characters we need to take out the Power of Flight which is very key. But the kid's got spunk. And kirby's ability to eat food off the floor for strength. Floor ice cream!

17 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Bowser is no more than a chump compared to the behemoth that is Mario.

I have to come in for my boy Bowser. See in any mario game the player loses a ton of times, ten to thirty deaths on the way to Bowser, but bowser loses the one time and that's game over for him? C'mon that's no fair. Bowser's a tough guy. And I know he doesn't take damage just from touching his archnemesis. He can breathe fire, his whole body is a well armored weapon, he's the size of a two story house in the 3D games and has the strength to pick one up, and he can survive having his whole skin sear off in lava as Dry Bowser. Plus he's got enough of an understanding of magic to manipulate gravity and matter to grow in size and float. His only real weaknesses are his impressively low intellect and careless placement of traps around the castle that can be used against him. But against an opponent that prefers an all out brawl, he's more than a match for most of the smash roster.

I will admit I didn't quite factor in Cappy for Mario, but against a tough opponent, like the T-Rex or Bowser, it appears that enemy needs to be subdued before they become vulnerable to capture. And even then there appears to be unknown restrictions on what sorts of creatures and objects Mario could control. Only things that look goofy with a mustache, I guess.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

yo dw I'm on that Pit train. Since my rule is no assistance from other characters we need to take out the Power of Flight which is very key.

Is it assistance if rather than someone consciously giving you their power, you force their power against their will into you? 'Cause isn't that what Burapi did with Pandora? He kept her under his control in his wings for nearly the whole game. Provided he, or Pit, could do the same, then flight they can still have. Or of course, the Three Sacred Treasures.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

and he can survive having his whole skin sear off in lava as Dry Bowser

I consider being sucked into a black hole a more significant survival, he did what not even light can do.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:42 PM, Jave said:

Here's mine. PLEASE don't ask me about stuff in the bottom four tiers, since I'm not that familiar with some series and I couldn't be bothered to rank them more specifically. It's more fun to discuss the top stuff, anyway.

CwwVnCC.png

K. Rool should be above DK. 

In every game, it's at least a team effort for DK with Diddy backing him up taking down K. Rool. 

DK64(Last time we saw K. Rool) amps it up to crazy levels, where it takes five Kongs, including DK, fighting one after another to deal with K. Rool. And it was a boxing match, so the argument of "Oh, well K. Rool doesn't really know how to fight" doesn't add up. And even then he's still up and ready to go after Chunky Kong knocks him on his ass.

Edited by Slumber

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I have to come in for my boy Bowser. See in any mario game the player loses a ton of times, ten to thirty deaths on the way to Bowser, but bowser loses the one time and that's game over for him? C'mon that's no fair.

Mario’s death at the hands of players is purely non-canon however as the number of times he dies is purely dependent on the person playing and if some players are good enough Mario may not even experience any losses. Bowser’s losses on the other hand are undisputable canon and will orcur whether the player is inexperienced or not.

He can breathe fire, his whole body is a well armored weapon, he's the size of a two story house in the 3D games and has the strength to pick one up,

Mario can do all of that too. Bowser breaths fire? Well, Mario is also able to use fire of his own in the form of fireballs from his hands. Well armored? Ok I’ll give in on that one because although Mario has access to the Metal Cap his armored self is only temporary and Metal Caps have seemingly vanished from existence. Ok so Bowser can pick up a two story house that’s his size, big whoop. Mario can pick up an entire fortress from the ground and kick it away. Much more impressive than two story house, especially when you consider Mario’s small stature.

he can survive having his whole skin sear off in lava as Dry Bowser.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I consider being sucked into a black hole a more significant survival, he did what not even light can do.

Fair enough, Bowser has undeniably one of the most resilient characters ever in the Mario universe but while a cockroach (Bowser) may be hard to kill, it definitely isn’t bringing down any humans (Mario)

I’m not saying Bowser is weak or has no notable features of his own, just that Mario is either just as strong if not stronger than him.

I will admit I didn't quite factor in Cappy for Mario, but against a tough opponent, like the T-Rex or Bowser, it appears that enemy needs to be subdued before they become vulnerable to capture. And even then there appears to be unknown restrictions on what sorts of creatures and objects Mario could control. Only things that look goofy with a mustache, I guess.

Eh, I didn’t really factor in Cappy either just because that’s definitely more of Cappy’s ability than Mario’s. Also if the T-Rex is anything to go by, all you really need to do is wait until his prey is sound asleep. No need to subdue an opponent that way. Cappy would definitely be a terrifying creature where he to use his parasitic powers for evil.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Mario’s death at the hands of players is purely non-canon however as the number of times he dies is purely dependent on the person playing and if some players are good enough Mario may not even experience any losses. Bowser’s losses on the other hand are undisputable canon and will orcur whether the player is inexperienced or not.

Mario can do all of that too. Bowser breaths fire? Well, Mario is also able to use fire of his own in the form of fireballs from his hands. Well armored? Ok I’ll give in on that one because although Mario has access to the Metal Cap his armored self is only temporary and Metal Caps have seemingly vanished from existence. Ok so Bowser can pick up a two story house that’s his size, big whoop. Mario can pick up an entire fortress from the ground and kick it away. Much more impressive than two story house, especially when you consider Mario’s small stature.

Fair enough, Bowser has undeniably one of the most resilient characters ever in the Mario universe but while a cockroach (Bowser) may be hard to kill, it definitely isn’t bringing down any humans (Mario)

I’m not saying Bowser is weak or has no notable features of his own, just that Mario is either just as strong if not stronger than him.

Eh, I didn’t really factor in Cappy either just because that’s definitely more of Cappy’s ability than Mario’s. Also if the T-Rex is anything to go by, all you really need to do is wait until his prey is sound asleep. No need to subdue an opponent that way. Cappy would definitely be a terrifying creature where he to use his parasitic powers for evil.

Bowser sometimes beats Mario at the start of games though. Albeit useually when he's acquired a new power of some sort. But if we can give Mario all his upgrade, then shouldn't Bowser have the likes of the Star Rod too?

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Bowser sometimes beats Mario at the start of games though. Albeit useually when he's acquired a new power of some sort. But if we can give Mario all his upgrade, then shouldn't Bowser have the likes of the Star Rod too?

I don’t know about that. I mean, yeah Bowser with Star Rod is undefeatable but that would apply to any character with the Star Rod because it’s not like Bowser is the only one capable of using it or anything like that. Also in RPGs (at least the Mario ones) the villain’s are so reliant on plot armor that it makes it hard to use as examples for gauging a character’s strength.

Mario’s upgrades are a lot more common and easier to obtain compared to Bowser who usually goes to the ends of the world to obtain. They also never really make him infinitely stronger and unbeatable like Bowser. Anyway all he loses from not having his upgrades (at least in the points I made) is Fire power and temporary armored body. I guess it’s just that Bowser is very reliant on outside sources for his power compared Mario who might be a bit reliant on them but not nearly as much.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I don’t know about that. I mean, yeah Bowser with Star Rod is undefeatable but that would apply to any character with the Star Rod because it’s not like Bowser is the only one capable of using it or anything like that. Also in RPGs (at least the Mario ones) the villain’s are so reliant on plot armor that it makes it hard to use as examples for gauging a character’s strength.

Mario’s upgrades are a lot more common and easier to obtain compared to Bowser who usually goes to the ends of the world to obtain. They also never really make him infinitely stronger and unbeatable like Bowser. Anyway all he loses from not having his upgrades (at least in the points I made) is Fire power and temporary armored body. I guess it’s just that Bowser is very reliant on outside sources for his power compared Mario who might be a bit reliant on them but not nearly as much.

Another thing to note is that Mario very frequently has to rely on the terrain to beat Bowser, like dropping him into lava, throw him into bombs or dumpong him out of his flying hot tub.