Rank the Ultimate roster by (canonical) strength

Zapp Branniglenn

Months away from release, this is the only tier list I'm keen on making. 

neLygIf.png

Go here to make your own. Change the game to Smash Ultimate if it isn't already. And yes I did rank them within tiers.

My only rule is considering characters under their canon abilities and feats with no assistance from other characters. I'm also not down with considering which characters require extra lives or get free continues, everybody gets one life. Use whatever rules and justifications you like, this is just for fun. The only of these characters I don't have direct experience with is Shulk but he can see the future which leads me to assume he's a chosen one. Chosen One is the only tier I feel needs explanation. Just people that possess significant plot armor and are destined to win. But at the same time don't experience much internal or external conflict beyond what they were born to resolve so their problem solving skills aren't great. 

Please tell me how wrong I am and why your anime with a sword should share a tier with Kirby

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty accurate I guess, but I'm also in the camp that wonders what the deal with Kirby is.

Shulk is in the God Slayer's Club too, so that also makes him a chosen one. Avoiding spoilers but he does eventually have to beat a god. Shouldn't Ike be in Chosen Ones too?

Edited by Dragoncat

The "Super powered animals", "Only know how to fight", and "Just an anime with a sword" tiers are really all about the same power overall tier-wise. And, honestly, each of those should be separated into other tiers. Would Mega Man or Ike lose in terms of power to Diddy Kong or Squirtle? Sonic should probably be a considerably higher tier given the number of times he's saved his world, and I'd like to see anyone below One Woman Army or maybe Chosen One even try to hit him. 

There ought to be a separate category for Chrom (being "helpful"). XD

Kidding aside, I'm pretty much in agreement with those in the "One Woman Army" and "Military Hardware/Training" categories.

Edited by Karimlan

Not sure why you rated Little Mac, Mii, and R.O.B. above literally any "anime with a sword."

If anything, Ike in particular should be in the Chosen Ones tier. Hell, even FEH bluntly describes Ike as "the strongest hero." He is at least on par with Link in that regard, having stood toe to toe with the king of dragons and a literal god.

Edited by Etheus

24 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Shouldn't Ike be in Chosen Ones too?

Yeah, but Meg is also one of Yune's chosen so I'm skeptical of the qualifications. I know Chrom and Lucina have exalted blood, but Lucina comes from a future that proves neither of them are destined to save the world quite as well as Robin/Grima can destroy it. 

38 minutes ago, Florete said:

What the hell makes Kirby so powerful in the first place?

The copy ability makes Kirby one of the most versatile and adaptive opponents of any fictional character. He can fly. And he can still inhale and exhale any living opponent if he's missing a copy ability Plus we've never seen Kirby be defeated by any of the godlike entities of his universe. I felt like it went without saying he's one of the most powerful characters in gaming. 

35 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Why is Pit/Dark Pit in the "One Woman Army" tier? Am I missing something?

Are you confused because of their strength, or because of the "woman" thing? If it's the former, you wouldn't know it from Smash but the kid's overpowered. Going toe to toe with Greek Gods, and their legionary armies is already a Herculean feat in itself, but he's also mastered hundreds of weapons that all stand up to the mythical kind and have versatile melee and ranged combat. He can't fly without Palutena's help but I'm pretty sure he can use powers without assistance including super speed, smart bombs and summoning a black hole among other goodies. And all this power by just being a plucky angel. No chosen one narrative, no plot armor, nothing. That's really what separates One Woman Army from Chosen One. And if it's the latter, try to re contextualize it as "One Woman's Army" if that helps.

I'm seeing a woeful lack of people ranking the roster. I guess nobody likes to have fun around here.

34 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah, but Meg is also one of Yune's chosen so I'm skeptical of the qualifications. I know Chrom and Lucina have exalted blood, but Lucina comes from a future that proves neither of them are destined to save the world quite as well as Robin/Grima can destroy it. 

The copy ability makes Kirby one of the most versatile and adaptive opponents of any fictional character. He can fly. And he can still inhale and exhale any living opponent if he's missing a copy ability Plus we've never seen Kirby be defeated by any of the godlike entities of his universe. I felt like it went without saying he's one of the most powerful characters in gaming. 

Are you confused because of their strength, or because of the "woman" thing? If it's the former, you wouldn't know it from Smash but the kid's overpowered. Going toe to toe with Greek Gods, and their legionary armies is already a Herculean feat in itself, but he's also mastered hundreds of weapons that all stand up to the mythical kind and have versatile melee and ranged combat. He can't fly without Palutena's help but I'm pretty sure he can use powers without assistance including super speed, smart bombs and summoning a black hole among other goodies. And all this power by just being a plucky angel. No chosen one narrative, no plot armor, nothing. That's really what separates One Woman Army from Chosen One. And if it's the latter, try to re contextualize it as "One Woman's Army" if that helps.

I'm seeing a woeful lack of people ranking the roster. I guess nobody likes to have fun around here.

Don’t forget his ability to pilot AND defeat th great sacred treasure 

I want to rank the roster but I don’t gave time 

Kirby can also easily tank a planted sized explosion, specifically the explosion of Popstar which I belive is comparable in size to earth 

and Shulk is MUCH more powerful then anime sword boi

49 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Not sure why you rated Little Mac, Mii, and R.O.B. above literally any "anime with a sword."

Little Mac's 9 to 5 work day is beating up opponents physically stronger than him. And you can bet your sweet anime they allow all kinds of weapons into the WVBA. Mac's seen it all. Plus like Doc says, he can always take a whoopin'.

I don't have much justification for ROB. His greatest feat is saving the video game industry, but his Smash moveset is 100% made up and he has no canonical game appearance to draw from. He's a robot so that means he can think faster than a human opponent and isn't burdened by the weaknesses of showing mercy. He also doesn't have Mega Man's crippling weakness to pointy objects so I'm thinking there's potential here against at least the swordies. And the Miis are just sorted into what I thought were appropriate tiers. Didn't want to stick them into Tomodachi Civilian Life.

If anything, Ike in particular should be in the Chosen Ones tier. Hell, even FEH bluntly describes Ike as "the strongest hero." He is at least on par with Link in that regard, having stood toe to toe with the king of dragons and a literal god.

Well that's the thing about fire emblem protagonists. They never take on the final boss alone, only with an army. They get by on their friendships and nobility. And although Ike may be required for the final cutscene strike, he never would have slayed Ashera without Yune's help, and my ranking stipulates that these characters receive no assistance from other characters. Slaying dragons may be a great feat out of context but the fire emblem universe also has over-the-counter dragon slaying swords so meh. Plus dragons in fire emblem generally aren't impervious to most or any type of damage unless they have some sort of blessing or seal that requires breaking, which explains most dragon god situations. Though I will admit I probably should have placed Ike at the top of the Lords in that tier since Ragnell gives him sword beams which is a unique means of fighting at range assuming it doesn't run on batteries.

Just going to point out that any list without Bayonetta at or at least near the top is flawed. She's a literal cheater in this sense; killing divine beings is her thing, not even something she just happened to do once like Ike. Remember when she called Palutena "an endangered species"? Yeah, she was serious.

11 minutes ago, Ironthunder said:

image.thumb.png.6f658de81fd1627c3b67d098217883be.png

Here goes. Should be fairly self-explanatory.

• While Ike did defeat Ashera, it's not like he did it himself. Yune said that everyone needs to wail on her for Ike to make an opening.
  • Never played Pokemon, but I do not see how Mewtwo is that powerful.
  • Bayonetta is massively underrated considering she punched God across the solar system.
  • I would give Robin into "Natually powerful being" considering he is a master tactician and a fighter.
  • Roy with the Binding Blade is not a Civilian.
  • Inkling shound be in the "Gifted Fighter" category. Considering that everyone else there is trained solders, she's not.
  • Cloud should be in the Enhanced warrior group, since materia can make him a powerhouse.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Please tell me how wrong I am and why your anime with a sword should share a tier with Kirby

Mario single-handedly rescues Peach from Bowser and his Koopa army time and time again, so he should be a lot higher than he is on your list.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Bayonetta is by far the most powerful character in the roster. She is in her own tier which is frankly incomparable to everyone else (except maybe Kirby).

They're being ranked by how powerful they are in their own series, not in Smash.

4 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

They're being ranked by how powerful they are in their own series, not in Smash.

Which is exactly the criteria I was using. Bayonetta is ridiculously, absurdly overpowered. She is one of the most ludicrously over the top characters in all of gaming - see comment above about her literally punching God across the solar system. It's just a coincidence that she is also one of, if not the, strongest characters in Smash as well. 

6 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Which is exactly the criteria I was using. Bayonetta is ridiculously, absurdly overpowered. She is one of the most ludicrously over the top characters in all of gaming - see comment above about her literally punching God across the solar system. It's just a coincidence that she is also one of, if not the, strongest characters in Smash as well. 

Yup, Bayonetta is ludicrously strong in her franchise. Especially if the amount of force her wicked weaves can output is accurate 

there is very little that can even compare to Bayonetta in terms of power. When you are punching GOD across the SOLAR SYSTEM, you are OP.

I actually made one of these for SSB4. Just pop in the new characters and there we go.image.thumb.png.fa662259344d5f861c66e49414ea9170.png

Not sure what my logic was on some parts (Marth seems pretty high). I do know the tier names aren't literal (Roy is very apt at slaying dragons and Ike has slayed a god, but that's due to their weapons/circumstances), just an approximation of how much power they possess.

Seems I'm the first one to rank Shulk in the top tier. By the end of the game the kid has the ability to shape the universe according to his will. He doesn't choose to be a tyrant god, but we get a pretty clear picture of how powerful he is through Zanza and it's quite immense.

Edited by Jotari

meme.thumb.png.e82e84c972602cc6d44d79caf09498a2.png

Sorry for nobody in that one tier. Also I know little about everybody so sorry if anyone is incorrectly grouped. In my defense I just started throwing people wherever it made sense for me after Lucina's place was determined