Differences between TearRing and FE?

DisobeyedCargo

So I’ve played a good amount of fire emblem at this point, and I have been toying with the idea of playing TearRing Saga for a little bit. I wanted to ask what exactly is different in TearRing Saga from fire emblem and what I should know about going it?

Well, if you've played Thracia then I'd say you are pretty much set as it feels very much like a logical progression from that game. For all intents and purposes it really is Fire Emblem under a different title.

Edited by BrightBow

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, if you've played Thracia then I'd say you are pretty much set as it feels very much like a logical progression from that game. For all intents and purposes it really is Fire Emblem under a different title.

It's got a lot of Gaiden in there, too.

39 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I have not played thracia 

Honestly, it's similar enough to fire emblem games that you should be fine. There's a few mechanical differences, but not bigger that then the differences between different fire emblem titles.

One thing that's different is that instead of support conversations, there are a lot of special events you can unlock to see more of characters. So if you want to see as much of the game as possible, you'll likely need a guide, but you can of course also just play through it normally and see what you get.

There's also stuff like how levels don't reset upon promotion and units can learn skills at very exact levels in a certain class (so some need to be promoted before lvl 12, while in other cases you need to wait a bit with promoting someone). Not learning certain stuff shouldn't stop you from clearing the game, but it might be nice to know in advance.

24 minutes ago, bufkus said:

if you've played Echoes then you'll recognize the two armies thing. But yeah TearRing Saga is basically Fire Emblem but on steroids. 

What exactly do you mean by “on steroids”?

9 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

What exactly do you mean by “on steroids”?

Well I can tell you it isn't stats. Most caps are rather low, not exceeding 25 outside of HP/Lck. A few units do have outlandish stats though (hello Narron, Zeek!).

You do find some bonkers weapons though. Can I mention a 60 use personal sword that halves damage taken, on a good unit with great availability, and 20 Crit and 10 Mt? 

Plenty of skills too, some very powerful. Includes a Witch with self-warping and attacking in the same turn. 

I can't say too much though, for as much as I've been wanting to play TRS, I just haven't been able to get it to work for me. I will say though that if you go in blind, you'll likely miss out on a lot of the good stuff.

No weapon triangle as a side note, but I don't mind.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well I can tell you it isn't stats. Most caps are rather low, not exceeding 25 outside of HP/Lck. A few units do have outlandish stats though (hello Narron, Zeek!).

You do find some bonkers weapons though. Can I mention a 60 use personal sword that halves damage taken, on a good unit with great availability, and 20 Crit and 10 Mt? 

Plenty of skills too, some very powerful. Includes a Witch with self-warping and attacking in the same turn. 

I can't say too much though, for as much as I've been wanting to play TRS, I just haven't been able to get it to work for me. I will say though that if you go in blind, you'll likely miss out on a lot of the good stuff.

Jesus Christ that’s an OP weapon, reminds me of the Pugi axe 

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You forgot the effective damage against monsters.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

now i wanna play tear-ring.

what console was it on?

8 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

what console was it on?

PS1. 

It makes me wish TRS had been brought over back in the day. The PS1 was highly popular and had a glorious run of JRPGs. TRS would have fitted in perfectly with all this I would imagine. Of course, I could say the same of the SNES and FEs 3-5, since it was another JRPG golden period.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• 10 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 8:40 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

PS1. 

It makes me wish TRS had been brought over back in the day. The PS1 was highly popular and had a glorious run of JRPGs. TRS would have fitted in perfectly with all this I would imagine. Of course, I could say the same of the SNES and FEs 3-5, since it was another JRPG golden period.

apparently working designs had considered it but passed. too bad.