Hair color stereotypes

Corrobin

Do you assume things about a Fire Emblem character based on the color of their hair before you get a handle on their personality?

If a character has bright red hair, I always assume that they're hot-headed, or hot-blooded.

Pink hair always makes me think of either a girly girl or a feminine man.

Dark blue makes me think cool and collected.

Green for me means a connection with nature, or just being extremely chill.

Edited by Corrobin

Despite not being very familiar with anime, I do know that hair color is one way of showing a characters personality visually. I believe I've seen this used as an example before:

Image result for what anime hair colors mean

As for myself, outside of the children, I never really paid attention to the hair color of the characters.

Hair color as well as general color scheme are both good things to look at to get a general idea of the characters on screen. Usually one or the other will match them. Take your usual "Christmas Knights". The reds are usually more passionate while the greens are generally more laid-back.

On a side note I thought this was going to be about actual life hair colors and the stigmas against them and I was about to go on a tangent xD

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

Green for me means a connection with nature, or just being extremely chill.

Works for Oscar but not Boyd. He's a greenhead who fits your redhead description better.

I don't think FE does hair color stereotypes? Most of the time the Christmas Cavys have the red one be brash and hotheaded and the green one be laid back and chill, but Sain and Kent reverse that. But that's the only case of hair color stereotyping I know of.

On pink: I personally headcanon that pink hair in males is like calico cats. Males are rare and sterile. Because there are tons of pink haired ladies in FE and only one pink haired dude, Makalov. Kliff is white haired before anyone brings him up. Makalov is clearly a pink boy. And he couldn't have kids even if he tried. Probably a good thing lol.

23 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

On a side note I thought this was going to be about actual life hair colors and the stigmas against them and I was about to go on a tangent xD

Me too lol. Related: Did you know the "dumb blond" stereotype comes from female performers from the UK back in I think the 60s? Many of them were blond and people accused them of only being successful in the US because they were pretty and slutty, and not intelligent. And so the dumb blond was born.

Edited by Dragoncat

3 hours ago, Corrobin said:

If a character has bright red hair, I always assume that they're hot-headed, or hot-blooded.

Aside from Tormod Fire emblem seems to try avoiding that stereotype. Azelle's very shy, Kent, Minerva, Roy and Julian are serious and Arvis is cold blooded. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

5 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

On pink: I personally headcanon that pink hair in males is like calico cats. Males are rare and sterile. Because there are tons of pink haired ladies in FE and only one pink haired dude, Makalov. Kliff is white haired before anyone brings him up. Makalov is clearly a pink boy. And he couldn't have kids even if he tried. Probably a good thing lol.

The greatest mistake of modern fire emblem was not giving inigo and azama pink hair, I don't care if the design was not meant to have it, I am bothered by the lack of pink haired guys, makalov was great, his hair looked fine, but they kept the color, meanwhile inigo and azama have grey hair where inigo's default could have been pink to better show he is related to olivia, and azama was just stupid in my opinion given that he gives pink hair to any daughters (technically, I am pretty sure there is no circumstance where he passes his hair to a girl, but mitama has pink hair by default, which supports this, same for laslo, but given that he and inigo are the same person that is damning evidence). I just find it annoying that IS being so afraid to use pink haired guys is sad to me, kind of diminishes the design possibilities.

as for the topic, I never noticed any consistencies in hair colors personally the cain and abel archetype seems like more of a tradition than relating to hair.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Aside from Tormod Fire emblem seems to try avoiding that stereotype. Azelle's very shy, Kent, Minerva, Roy and Julian are serious and Arvis is cold blooded. 

Very true, and other examples would include Rhys the friendly healer, Titania the bold but definitely not hot-headed paladin, Lena the kind healer, Minerva's younger sister who's also a kind-hearted healer, etc. As a redhead, I do enjoy that FE tries to avoid that stereotype. Now, if only the avatar characters had decent red hair colour options...

Honestly; the only thing I can really think of is that, if their hair colour is recognizably green, then they're probably relatively friendly, down-to-earth, and somewhat laidback (unless they're a manakete). Oscar, Boyd, Rolf, Alm, Stahl, Kurthnaga to some extent, Gordon, etc. 

I can definitely see some patterns, though for the most part I feel it's coincidence and personality is still fairly divorced from hair color.

For example on the table above, read "white" with Henry in mind.

On 8/19/2018 at 6:55 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

and then you have Hinoka and Sully

Edited by Ronnie