Proud of my Backlog Progress

Ronnie

Lookie here another backlog topic. However I'm proud I got off my lazy gamer ass and picked up the controller. Also feel free to list what games are on your backlog and which you've recently beat!

Thanks to my girlfriend and I taking turns, we beat Final Fantasy XV and Ni no Kuni II.
I beat Tales of Berseria (as noted by the topic I made before), Pokémon Ultra Sun (after 9 months), and Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash (after 11 months).

Next on my list are Final Fantasy X, Fire Emblem Echoes, and Tales of Xillia. All of which I have some progress on already. It's just a matter of consistency.

Most of my game time the past month has been dedicated to speedruns rather than tackling the backlog. I've also been splurging a bit to fill out the collection for my shiny new PS4, so it's brought my backlog progress in 2018 dangerously close to the negative. When was the last backlog thread, June 11? My games beat since then are:

• Lost Planet Extreme Conditions
  • Lost Planet 2: Played this with two friends once we got Windows Live working. Good thing too since I don't think I would have been interested in this one at all as a single player experience.
  • Deadpool
  • Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage: I also put on a decent speedrun time while searching for new ones to pick up. 
  • Spec Ops: The Line: Y'know, I'm willing to bet in this Undertale era of quirky, fourth wall breaking indie games and the subdued status of military shooters, all of the novelty of Spec Ops would be lost on today's gamer. But I'll never forget this game's straight faced release and the critical reception. Triple A games before and since just aren't this cynical and self aware
  • Rage: This is not a game that takes more than a month to beat, but it did for me since I struggled to stick with it. Not a terrible game, just feels very derivative. At best I can say it feels much like DOOM 2016 when the bullets start flying. Which is easy to say since it's the same developer several years earlier.
  • Pikmin 3: This has always been a clearly easy game to 100%, so I finally went back for a replay. Man do we deserve a fourth game. 
  • The Order 1886: Man do we deserve a sequel to this too. It even foreshadows the sequel and the setting is a captivating construction of sci-fi alternate history. 
  • Lost Planet 3: Ayy, I've played every game in this series. Also wow this series reinvents the gameplay and presentation in every single entry. Way to go Capcom. If you announce a Lost Planet 4 in the future I promise I'll be unreasonably excited.
  • Yakuza 0: Bought and beat this game in anticipation of finally being able to play Shenmue 1+2 which comes out in just two days.

This looks like an impressive list now that I've laid it out but I've been out of school the whole time I played them and all of these games save for Yakuza took eight or less hours to finish. Heck Kingdom Hearts 0.2 is a two hour game counting cutscenes. I never plan out the games I play in advance. But I know I'll be captivated by Shenmue in a couple days. And I'm trying to find room in my heart for Monster Hunter World so that I have another game to enjoy with friends. But with school starting up in a week, I'll probably just rededicate my time to speedruns. Being able to do this on a clunky N64 controller fills me with a sense of pride.

I, on the other hand, just tackled my first run of Persona 4 Golden, and around the midpoint for the second run. I've also finished Dancing All Night's story mode; nice to see how everyone moved on to help others, as well as explore the seedier aspects of the Japanese idol industry. After my second run, I might put that a break and play Persona 3 Portable, and P4 Arena games. On the other hand, I might get rid of my existing FE/Pokemon backlog from my last backlog thread altogether.

Edited by henrymidfields

From June - 

Wizardry 8 - In progress

Master of Magic - I did beat some impossible difficulty games using premade wizards , but I want to see if I can do it with a scrub charather like Oberic or Lo Pan. Might try out more of the patches and multiplayer.  

The other SSI games included on the GoG "Forgotten Realms Archives Volume Two" after Pool of Radiance - Up to 4/7 counting Pool or Radiance and not counting Unlimited Adventure.

Lode Runner 3D (n64) - Completed

Aggresive Inline (GCN) - Completed

Mr Driller 2 - Completed, but might stay up a few nights to get a high score I am happy with.

Grinding up to a Tier 10 in World of Tanks - Canceled with a tier 8 with about half of its modules, just wasn't worth the time investment to me. Some of my steam friends are getting into War Thunder though, so I'll probbably go down this rabbit hole again.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Not out yet

Doom Eternal - Not out yet

Yoshi Switch - Not out yet

Star control Origins - Not out yet

Star Control: Ghosts of the Precursors - the last I heard this is getting a 5 year release setback as per a legal agreement.

Replays

Roller Coaster Tycoon - Physical disc is working for base game, but not for the expansions... Loopy and Corskcrew are what I really want to play, so I'm waiting again.

Star Wars: Tie Fighter - I went a little too cheap on my USB joystick, did some early stuff, but not going through until I have a better joystick.

Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed - haven't gotten around to re-purchase

Steambot Chronicles - haven't gotten around to re-purchase

Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim - I have fixed recording problems to satisfy making a few IL videos (Slay the Mighty Dragon, ) but I think the upload size of the full run is definitely too much for me. Additionally, I don't fully remember the strategies for some levels, despite the notes I made  and shared online . I think I can upload most of the levels to get 70% of a "recorded IL table" up.... Will probably need to clean computer's memory and do long levels separately with my current upload power (fixed timer and/or slow stuff like Trade Routes, Fertile Plain, Rise of the Ratmen,  Deal with Demon) . Not particularly passionate about this since the community doesn't seem particularly interested and some "despise" playing the game as a speedrun. I personally am kind of happy with the IGT (days) records instead of having to play the game on fastest game speed and account for minutes and seconds with an external timer.  

Unplanned stuff

Beta testing - Closed Beta, so not talking about it

Divinity: Original Sin 1 - Completed, kind of wish I had just stopped worrying about having played Div 2 first without the extra background because of dissapointments...

FF6 - multiplayer - This was stupid, but I got someone to go through the whole thing.... fun facts - field movement and overworld movement can actually be given to different players in addition to the in-battle stuff, end of battle text (experience, level ups, etc) is apparently randomized as to which player has to mash through it, and there is no real ATB compensation  whatsoever from dividing charthers onto two controllers.

Helldivers - Friend talked me into buying it (they're at 120 hours now)... Personally I thought it was good but not great and uninstalled at 30 hours.

Troddlers -  Completed - I liked the cute blend of Lemmings + Solomon's key, but it took a long time to really get going puzzle wise. 

Spindizzy Worlds - Completed - Great, didn't overstay it's welcome, enjoyed the difficulty. 

Mario Tennis Aces - A LOT OF IT>

Kind of don't like having this many pre-orders and normal backlog games at the same time... But RDR 2 and SCO are not really things I think I can handle waiting for a year+ after release to see. I might throw Roller Coaster Tycoon and Tie Figher off the backlog at some point, because I don't really like having to do all the setup (although maybe I'll just get a retrained version like I do with games on GoG). RCT would also undoubtedly eat up hundreds of hours by itself once I got deep into Loopy Landscapes. The PS2 games are also a repeat delay. and if I'm perfectly honest, both games kind of lack polish anyway. While I can get them super cheaply as Used games, I'm not really in the "budget" mindset that I used to be in, so I might just enjoy RDR 2 , SCO, and MAYBE Insurgency:Sandstorm without worrying too much about stuff other than things I can do super fast (puzzle games and last 3 Forgotten Realm archive games).