Amazon getting rid of 20% Pre-Order Discount

Ronnie

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17911060011&=vg63_primevideogames_tc_lp_em)_&ref_=pe_6260660_294621830

The service I used the most for in my Prime account is now gone starting August 28th 2018. Instead of getting 20% off physical pre-orders, we're getting $10 Amazon credit that expires after 60 days.

Yup Amazon Prime is now 100% useless to me. I ditched GameStop for pre-orders because Amazon had the better deal but now they both suck lol.

EDIT: You can still pre-order games before August 28th to get the discount. So pre-order your Smash Bros. copies for that sweet $48.

Edited by Ronnie

Best Buy also recently ended their Gamer's club unlocked service that has 20% off game purchases. But at least they're honoring anybody''s existing memberships though not allowing them to get renewed any longer. I still got about a half year on mine. Definitely didn't expect to be in better shape than Amazon users after that news but I will be for a little while lol

Edited by Glennstavos

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Best Buy also recently ended their Gamer's club unlocked service that has 20% off game purchases. But at least they're honoring anybody''s existing memberships though not allowing them to get renewed any longer. I still got about a half year on mine. Definitely didn't expect to be in better shape than Amazon users after that news but I will be for a little while lol

It's likely that this is the reason Amazon's removing the 20% discount. GCU was the only semi-legit competitor to Amazon Prime when it came to games. Now that they don't offer 20% off, Amazon doesn't have to, either.

Anyway, doesn't impact me too much. I'm a PC gamer, and Greenmangaming still exists, so legit discounts between 20-25% still come my way. If I feel like a scumbag, CDKeys and G2A are there. Mostly just Switch games and the odd PS4 exclusive that interests me that will be a problem now.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's likely that this is the reason Amazon's removing the 20% discount. GCU was the only semi-legit competitor to Amazon Prime when it came to games. Now that they don't offer 20% off, Amazon doesn't have to, either.

Except now people will be ditching Amazon. They shot themselves in the foot.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Except now people will be ditching Amazon. They shot themselves in the foot.

Nobody's going to ditch Amazon because of an "effective" $5 increase in games.

Edited by Slumber

18 minutes ago, Slumber said:

So they entered that competition temporarily in order to get GCU out of the picture. And they still offer something so users can't argue the service is 100% gone. Oooh, that's cutthroat. Well played Amazon Prime. 

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Nobody's going to ditch Amazon because of an "effective" $5 increase in games.

Its roughly $12 in savings for you average game.

Amazon just got fu#@ing greedy, I'll be sure to go back to Gamestop. Living in TN that 9.5% sales tax makes games more expensive. This discount made stuff easier to get, though I had to wait a little longer to get it

12 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Its roughly $12 in savings for you average game.

Amazon just got fu#@ing greedy, I'll be sure to go back to Gamestop. Living in TN that 9.5% sales tax makes games more expensive. This discount made stuff easier to get, though I had to wait a little longer to get it

You're getting $10 in Amazon credit with each game purchase. Factoring tax, it's going to be about a $4-5 increase, at least in the states.

Actually it looks like it's about a $3 increase for me. Certainly not enough for me to go "RAW RAW I'M GOING TO SHITTY GAMESTOP INSTEAD

Edited by Slumber

I highly doubt this will affect Amazon much. Many folks are there primarily for Amazon Prime video, the free book reading and free shipping. The discount on games was a nice bonus but there are a lot of better ways of getting games such as the Humble Bundle and GOG. There is also Bundle Stars for older titles, and like Humble Bundle, it helps various charities.

11 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

don't you think it's somewhat ironic that you're going to gamestop because amazon is too greedy? gamestop is greedy as fuck too.

the sad part is that amazon is still better than retail stores here. fucking game, trying to sell games for £50+

people will still buy games on amazon - they are relatively consistent

Edited by Edgelord

Thanks for the heads up,
I'll be sure to do some pre-orders before this goes through.

Funny enough though...  I am personally very okay with this.
My reasoning being that:
I already do a lot of ordering over Amazon so the 60-day expiration isn't a problem.
(even if I didn't order anything in two months, I would use this as an excuse to stock up on different teas.)
While ten dollars is two less than the $12 discount on $60 games, it's $2 more than the $8 discount for $40 titles. (assuming those still get discounted.)

Though there is a thing that I actually really like about this change; apparently the pre-order discount will start applying to digital copies.
For the Switch especially, I know there are games that I would/will prefer have digital over physical. (Like Animal Crossing and other games I would switch to often.)

Edited by Puzzle044