Choose Your Legends 2018 (Arrival of the Brave): August 21 ~

Coolmanio

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

You missed the point.

One Arena point is less than the average variance in scores you get match to match. It really only matters if you're right next to a tier cutoff and only if it boosts the maximum value in your match-up range.

Doesn't variance basically not matter in the long run, though? Everyone else is just as affected by variance (and just as able to spend a bunch of swords to fish for high points).

That is---I don't really see things that affect everyone more or less equally affecting which arena tier you'd end up in, because everyone else in your tier would presumably be just as affected. Although I suppose the people who would want DB4 aren't exactly the people running things like steady breath or DC, meaning cavalry will be slightly less bad, scoring wise, for a bit until options that defensive units would want get level 4'd.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Because it's canon

Spoiler

Jamka is a bow fighter > sniper.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Doesn't variance basically not matter in the long run, though?

Which is exactly the point.

4 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Because it's canon

That's like saying Lyn is an archer unit  right off the bat . 

Spoiler

Didn't Jamke starts as an infantry and we usually got the Heroes unit in their starting class unless they're alts? 

Edited by DraceEmpressa

1 minute ago, DraceEmpressa said:

That's like saying Lyn is an archer unit off the bat . 

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Jamke starts as an infantry and we usually got the Heroes unit in their starting class unless they're alts? 

Jamka never gets a horse though. Incidentally, where did you hear he was cavalry?

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Which is exactly the point.

I... might be misunderstanding you.

Aren't horses just straight up a point or two worse due to BST? That's not a variance thing. Unless I'm a bit out of date on how arena score works and lower BST just increases variance on your opponents rather than their raw point values.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Aren't horses just straight up a point or two worse due to BST? That's not a variance thing. Unless I'm a bit out of date on how arena score works and lower BST just increases variance on your opponents rather than their raw point values.

Ranged cavalry are 2 stat bins lower than Gen 2 melee cavalry, which comes out to 1 point per match after the bonus character multiplier. That's far less than the expected variance you see between matches (average of about 3), which means it makes zero difference in your score unless it happens to actually bump your maximum match-up score by 2 points (2 points and not 1 because scores come in jumps of 2 due to the bonus multiplier) and you are fishing with your dueling sword restores.

Ugh, this banner is so broken.

I'd probably want either Celica or Veronica though I'm leaning towards Veronica so that I can finally have a Razzle Dazzle cavalry unit and that I could find the most use out of her due to her being a healer.

I'm not liking the direction the game is taking with the whole skill tier powercreep in the context of Arena since it'd likely make scoring bonus unit kills using the Askr units much more difficult, especially for Sharena and Anna. The units likely wouldn't change the meta for offensive Arena teams since it'd probably still consist of Askr unit, M!Corrin, Sheena, and Gwendolyn.

51 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Probably the simplicity. And the fact that she has no meat on her bones.

yeah it's hard to go wrong with front facing standing pose. her twig arms bothered me even more in the attacking art lol. glad i'm not the only one that noticed that..

51 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's the eyebrows and nose.

i think the mouth bothers me the most - it's too low and looks like it wants to cut into her jawline - but that is somewhat dependent on the nose. i don't have much issue with the eyebrows but they aren't symmetrical. and now that i look her left eye is shaped oddly too.

i wanted to try fixing things i thought looked weird so here's my attempt (i feel dirty touching someone else's art...)

3cDjIjj.png

1 minute ago, wizzard of soz said:

yeah it's hard to go wrong with front facing standing pose. her twig arms bothered me even more in the attacking art lol. glad i'm not the only one that noticed that..

i think the mouth bothers me the most - it's too low and looks like it wants to cut into her jawline - but that is somewhat dependent on the nose. i don't have much issue with the eyebrows but they aren't symmetrical. and now that i look her left eye is shaped oddly too.

i wanted to try fixing things i thought looked weird so here's my attempt (i feel dirty touching someone else's art...)

3cDjIjj.png

The nose is what bothers me the most, too~ I have to say, the edit looks pretty good to me~

5 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

The nose is what bothers me the most, too~ I have to say, the edit looks pretty good to me~

?? i'm curious about what's bothering people with the nose, is it the placement or angle looks wrong?

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

On a side note because a friend mentioned it to me, I hope Ostian Counter means there is now hope for Distant Counter weapons to finally get refines.

Small reminder, the Distant Counter weapons in the game right now...

Raijinto (Ryoma and L!Ryoma, probably either Death Blow, Fierce Stance, or Kestrel Stance)

Siegfried (Xander, probably either Armored Blow, Steady Stance, or Sturdy Stance)

Ragnell (Ike and L!Ike, probably the same as Siegfried or Steady Breath)

Alondite (Black Knight and Zelgius, probably the same as Ragnell)

Gradivus (Camus and FH!Hardin, probably either Renewal 3 or an effect similar to Solar Brace)

Leiptr (Fjorm, probably something akin to Distant Defense 3)

Stout Tomahawk (Dorcas, not sure what it could possibly be)

Expiration (FH!Robin and L!Robin, might be some form of negation of Firesweep-type skills or Guard 3)

Spoiler

Jamke appearing isn't a good sign, what if we get Quan and Lewyn? Especially Quan since I love him so much and I have no idea why. I can't dump my non-existent stach of orbs into cyl2 now in case the September banner is genealogy.

I am a little disappointed that Hector is not wielding Armads. It will be so cool to have a mono color team filled with only Hector and his alts.

1 minute ago, Joe Cool said:

please don't be the sign of an impending staves meta.

It is already here. Unless Intelligent System removes BST as a scoring factor, you do not have to worry about facing it, unless you are already in that score range.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I am a little disappointed that Hector is not wielding Armads. It will be so cool to have a mono color team filled with only Hector and his alts.

It is already here. Unless Intelligent System removes BST as a scoring factor, you do not have to worry about facing it, unless you are already in that score range.

i mean when the horse meta was up, it was everywhere in all tiers.

Staves would be incredibly annoying if everyone starts building them, even in the lower and mid tiers. 

5 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

?? i'm curious about what's bothering people with the nose, is it the placement or angle looks wrong?

For me, probably the placement. It makes her face seem longer than usual. The angle bothered me more originally but looking at it for a while, it's not as bad as I first saw it, but it still throws me off a bit.

1 minute ago, Joe Cool said:

i mean when the horse meta was up, it was everywhere in all tiers.

Not all tiers, and definitely not in whale score range or even dolphin score range. Once you are in around 730, you rarely see full ranged pony teams, if it is possible at all. You will still see ranged ponies, but definitely not 3 or 4 on the same team.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Ranged cavalry are 2 stat bins lower than Gen 2 melee cavalry, which comes out to 1 point per match after the bonus character multiplier. That's far less than the expected variance you see between matches (average of about 3), which means it makes zero difference in your score unless it happens to actually bump your maximum match-up score by 2 points (2 points and not 1 because scores come in jumps of 2 due to the bonus multiplier) and you are fishing with your dueling sword restores.

When I said variance doesn't matter, I meant that, because everyone else is just as affected by variance, it's really the difference in constants that affects where you end up.

Like, 5 + 2d200 and 10 + 2d200 is nearly indistinguishable, but the 10 guy still does more damage about 52.8% of the time. (46461 52850) If the dice was smaller, say, 20 sided, then the 10 guy does more about 64.7% of the time. (32165 64746) 10 sided dice is about 77.5%. (17521 77598)

Code (I might've done something wrong):

Spoiler

import random
def dice_rolls(x):
    a = 0
    b = 0
    dice_size = 10
    for i in range(x):
        temp = 5 + random.randint(1,dice_size) + random.randint(1,dice_size)
        temp_2 = 10 + random.randint(1,dice_size) + random.randint(1,dice_size)
        if temp > temp_2:
            a += 1
        elif temp < temp_2:
            b += 1
    print(a,b)

(I don't know what the appropriate dice size is for a 1 point difference vs. 3 point variance, but it should be smaller than 5 damage vs. d20 at least, which has the 10 guy bigger 64% of the time, and the 5 guy bigger 32% of the time, which is reasonably consistent, I think, even in the short run.)

5 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

For me, probably the placement. It makes her face seem longer than usual. The angle bothered me more originally but looking at it for a while, it's not as bad as I first saw it, but it still throws me off a bit.

It's not the best but I don't have a particular problem with it. Certainly not as much as when I look at your avatar and it looks like Micaiah has no nose at all, gotta say she looks mildly disturbing to me.