Tier 4 Skills

Jingle Jangle

With cyl 2 there is the introduction of Tier 4 skills with Celica's death blow 4. I feel that will be unable to be passed down to others. And may set a trend of already strong skills even more broken. Bold Fighter 4, or Wrath 4 anyone? Balance wise I find it difficult to pull it off well. What do you think?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Deathblow 3 is only worth 200 SP and gives +6 to a stat, whereas things like Swift Sparrow gives a total of +8, I don't think this is a problem, even if it's inheritable. I highly doubt we'll see the 240 skills get boosted in the same way (especially not the extremely powerful ones like Wrath or the Fighter skills), but rather we'll see other popular 200 SP skills get stronger versions.

Tier 4 skills sound infuriating. Unless they're "kind" enough to upgrade third tier skills for everyone, like with the slaying and killer weapons, I will be most displeased if it's not Celica-exclusive.

Wrath at 100% HP would be stupid broken, yeah. What would Bold Fighter 4 do? Enable the effect when unit is at negative 50% HP? :P

I'd rather this not happen, but neither do I feel that it's particularly game-breaking. After all, it's ultimately just another expensive SI that I'll rarely, if ever, be able to afford. I'll just be sad that my Cherche doesn't have DB4 in the same way that I'm sad that none of my dragons have Steady Breath.

It also is unfortunate for arena scoring, but at the same time we already have units with three-tier specials and two-tier assists anyway, and this is no different to that.

The only way I'll be ok with it is if these tier 4 skills are not actually inheritable, but rather upgrades to the tier 3 versions using in-game currency like stones, coins, medals, etc.  Otherwise it just seems silly.  

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

How are they going to improve Bold Fighter even more? It already works 100% of the time and gives -1 cooldown per hit.

One possibility I can conceive of is that it'd do the standard effect 100% of the time, but would do even more at or above a certain HP threshold.

Some skills could use a Tier 4.

I mean Defiant skills? Anyone?
Brash Assault? Anyone? (which could then finally synergize well with Brazen skills).

There is a huge amount of skills that could use a 4. Tier to make them usefull again/competetiv:
Aslot:
Blow skills (armored, darting, etc.)
HP skills
simple stat skills (as in atk +3 etc)
all the defiant skills
all the boost skills (with a relaxed HP threshold)
Fortress line

Bslot:
all the Breaker skills could use a Tier 4
Brash Assault 4 would finally be usefull with a higher HP threshold
Guard 4 (Guard 3 is awesome, but it really could use a higher HP threshold)
Pass and Obstruct with some additional effect or so
All the Seal skills
Shield Pulse (makeing the cooldown reduction like Ares cooldown effect for Pavise/Aegis etc)
Watersweep and Windsweep (relaxing the SPD requirement

Cslot:
Breath of Life (giving it a 2 space healing effect like savage blow)
all the original Spur and Hone skills for Infantry units could use a higher tier. Noone uses them anymore.

I mean i see potential in those skills being usefull again if done right.

19 minutes ago, Nobody said:

How are they going to improve Bold Fighter even more? It already works 100% of the time and gives -1 cooldown per hit.

If the unit dies to a counterattack but the counterattack only takes them to 0 to -50% of what their HP would be, the follow-up attack happens anyway.

24 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I really dont think that all skills get a Tier 4 upgrade. but some old skills (actually alot) could use a tier 4 to make them usefull in the first place... Brash Assault, Defiant skills, Boost skills etc etc.

It also makes it possible for units that arent armorers to reach a higher Arena point threshold, makeing Distant counter obsolet. I mean its kinda silly that you have to run Distant counter on a Distant counter weapon unit to maximize your points... or Close Counter on a ranged unit that doesnt even have the stat line to support that skill.

Edited by Hilda

Tier IV skills being inheritable is absolutely ridiculous and I despise it, but I find it amusing that limits on skill inheritance means that in theory, you'd have to kill an entirely seperate unit for DB 1  and then sac Celica for 2, 3, and 4.

Also, the border colour is hideous, so bad decisions all around by IntSys.

7 minutes ago, Time the Crestfallen said:

Tier IV skills being inheritable is absolutely ridiculous and I despise it, but I find it amusing that limits on skill inheritance means that in theory, you'd have to kill an entirely seperate unit for DB 1  and then sac Celica for 2, 3, and 4.

Also, the border colour is hideous, so bad decisions all around by IntSys.

FINALLY. Someone talked about the border color. It's atrocious. The gold was so classy, with the little flare inside of it, and this just looks like someone paint-bucketed it yellow and bold. It's so gross. Haha.

I don't think they'd make Tier 4 skills of EVERYTHING. Like let's just be realistic. But there are definitely a fair amount of skills that could use a 4. So I for one am excited about some Tier 4 skills. Not excited about them being exclusive and limited to 5* only units that are hard to get. 

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Dunno why anyone would be upset over 2 more Atk

Atk is the strangest stat in the game---even stranger than spd. Most stats follow a bell curve in terms of how useful 1 more point is---speed's bell curve just happens to have the shape of a steep cliff rather than a bell---Atk, on the other hand, pretty much only gets better as you get more of it.

This is mostly due to the fact that damage is Atk - DefStat rather than simply Atk * SomeMultiplier. Each additional point of Atk adds around 1 damage, whereas the Atk you already had tend to be a bit worse than 1 damage per stat thanks to the opponent's defensive stats. The more Atk you have, the more weapon options you get---and the stronger the weapon options you already have become---Odin and Olwen pretty much requires -blade to be functional, but Reinhardt can do whatever he wants in terms of weapon selection.

And the weapon options that require a good Atk to begin with tend to scale a lot better than 1 damage per Atk. Braves are 2 damage per Atk, Glimmer (for people who can run Quick Pulse or Heavy Blade) adds .5 damage per Atk when it triggers, compared to a regular weapon's 1 damage per atk and Draconic's .3 damage per Atk.

I'm personally fine with level 4 skills---a lot of the older skills aren't really worth running---but they really should've started with defensive stats before offensive stats. Although I guess they figure the +5 hp from refines and a possible +4 to def or res is enough that the offense/defense balance is good enough. (Personally I don't think so, but then I tend to run around with tons of stat buffs, which means Atk as a stat is stronger for me than it is for most.)

15 minutes ago, Johann said:

Dunno why anyone would be upset over 2 more Atk

Because that 2 Atk is effectively 4-8 extra damage on Brave weapon users (ie. Reinhardt). Plus, the tier 4 skill apparently costs 300 SP, which is as much as DC/CC or a unique passive (ie. Sacae's Blessing).

Edited by Roflolxp54

The real thing is that in most cases, you have to sacrifice two units to get Death Blow 4 to someone. Sacrifice Klein or Effie for DB1+2, then B!Celica for DB3+4 (or any similar combination).

Honestly, at this point, I can't say I'm surprised. This is just the next form of powercreeping.

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

300 SP. But I'm not bothered at all

Sounds good to me, this will actually help units who don't like DC/CC for scoring, and we'll likely see less of them on Arena defense teams too. This is actually pretty great news for frail units like Felicia, who would benefit greatly from both using it and going after foes who use it (of course, provided they don't have a DC weapon).

6 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Atk is the strangest stat in the game---even stranger than spd. Most stats follow a bell curve in terms of how useful 1 more point is---speed's bell curve just happens to have the shape of a steep cliff rather than a bell---Atk, on the other hand, pretty much only gets better as you get more of it.

Ah good, after a year and a half, someone finally explained what Atk does to me, because I'm 4 years old and just mashing the screen randomly when I play

1 minute ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Because that 2 Atk is effectively 4-8 extra damage on Brave weapon users (ie. Reinhardt). Plus, the tier 4 skill apparently costs 300 SP, which is as much as DC/CC or a unique passive (ie. Sacae's Blessing).

I don't see how this is a problem. This is still nothing compared to skills like Steady Breath.