How do you create your endgame teams?

In the GBA titles and PoR, I basically decided on my endgame team whenever I started a run. I usually made somewhat thematic teams in which each character I planned to use had to get one A-rank support. Usually, it would be either character-centric or nation-centric, though there would usually be at least a couple of units that had little or nothing to do with the theme, that would get fully used (A-support and all) in order to field a full roster. I would also use other characters at times, but my endgame team would be composed only of those chosen at the beginning, which at times forced me to use otherwise subpar units, or to find a way to make RNG-screwed ones useful in their own way (i.e. making their support partner even better, or utility unrelated to stats, etc.)

In later titles, I try to do something like that, though the lack of restriction on supports allows for much more leniency. 

I like to try as many characters as possible, and to get to know them. Some have been pleasant surprises, both gameplay and story wise. Had I followed the experts' opinions, I would never have gotten that ridiculously blessed Odin (maxed Mag at 20/13) who made Nosfera-tanking a reliable strategy in Conquest Hard. I also got an Amelia who was a complete tank (and who dodged everything anyway)and crit machine, made even more awesome through her support with Franz (who got so hilariously RNG-screwed (5 consecutive HP-only levels, and his other levels were nothing to write home about) that being a support bot was basically his only use). Yeah, it means little in regards to actual numbers, but, for me, personal experience is what makes FE great.

I don't really care about efficiency. In fact, support grinding in the Elibe games makes it basically impossible for me to get anything but one star in my Tactics rank. I never turtle, nor do I skip sidequests; I just don't get stressed over the turn count (well, except when it means more than a star on your report).

I don't crate endgame teams so much as I create whole-game teams. Ergo, my endgame teams are mostly decided by whom I'm using for most of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I just throw together who I like and go from there. I used Rafiel and Leonardo in RD's end game before despite them being rather weak compared to their competition.

Just really depends on who I have been using. Never really made last minute changes in my team to get the most optimized outcome. FE final maps arent that hard to begin with, some are easier than most of the maps that came before them.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually go with whomever I enjoyed using throughout the game and / or who I like the most. That's why you'll never see much variety in my endgame teams, there are always some mainstay units that just so happen to be my favourite characters. I admit that I tend to show a lot of favouritism towards characters and units I like and enjoy using (Celica always, ALWAYS gets the first few stat boosts in Echoes), but it's never stopped me from completing a run, so I guess it all works out.
But, like many people, I don't make my teams with the endgame in mind. I use characters and units I like throughout the game and see where I end up. I will replace people if they got particularly screwed by the RNG, though.

Edited by DragonFlames

usually i always end up taking the units i prefer the most, wich would be:

- main maxed out units;

- units that can still be viable even if not maxed out( like healers/supporters/dancers );

- units that can still have a good tactical role despite of their level/stats( like Tiki or Chainy from FE3 ).

With the exception of like FE8 and FE13 since you can grind up units before the final chapter, First playthrough i just use units throughout the game and see who has the best utility and best stats by endgame. Subsequent playthroughs i like to choose Units i use for the end game beforehand, like fielding Dorcas and Bartre in fe7 or using Armor knights in fe6.