When does JoJos get truly great?

Jotari

So let me preface by saying I don't watch a lot of anime anymore. And when I do, it's older shows that have stuck around for a reason. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure is like the only new show I watched since...hell I don't know, Kill La Kill maybe? But I heard JoJos was really good, so I've given it a go. I've (slowly) watched the first season and have just scratched the surface of the Stardust Crusaders arc and my attention has kind of dropped. It's become an episodic romp as they travel the world and somehow every episode a new enemy with a new stand finds them and impedes their process (and like a bunch of innocent people get unceremoniously killed or maimed). But more than that, it feels like the show has done a reboot. Sure we have the same villain as the first arc and the protagonist of the second arc is still sticking around, but the complete overhaul of the combat system makes me feel like it could have just been a different show. I was interested in this because of the generational aspect, I thought it'd be a big sprawling epic, but the whole stand thing doesn't seem to be built off anything that was previously established. There's no cohesion, it just feels like stuff's happening, despite literally having the same antagonist as before. So I'm considering dropping is as there's still like seventy episodes to see and if I'm not really enjoying something then I don't feel compelled to watch it. But I've heard quite a few people talk about how great it is, so I'm willing to give the series the benefit of the doubt and let someone convince me to persevere. At what point did you realize that JoJos isn't just a good show, but a truly great show? Was it within the first two arcs? Or was it much later?

Edited by Jotari

I didn't realize it until towards the end of part four really.

Parts 1 and 2 are the worst in my opinion. They're fine, and certainly more traditional but if you've ever seen someone describe something as "JoJo's-y", they're not that. 

Part three has it's problems, but what it's really doing is setting the stage for part four, which is pretty great. (though still only my third or fourth favorite part) The art style changes in part four also, which makes it a lot better. 

Part 5 is good. the first part of part 6 is also pretty good and then the last half is worse but still enjoyable.

Part 7 is hands down the best, no contest. It's a work of art.

Part 8 is also really good so far.

All of this assuming you enjoy the weirdness of Araki's art style and writing of course, and are willing to forgive some plot shenanigans.

I'd say finish part three and get a good way into part four. If it's not your thing it's not your thing. But It doesn't really come into it's own until then I think.

Parts 3, 4, 5 and 6 to some extent feel more linked than the previous parts and build off previous events. They're also more similar in narrative feel and tone, so they feel more as part of a series than 1 or 2 do.  I'm not a massive fan of 7 at all, but it's generally well liked.

Part 3 is the most famous part, and it's where Jojo starts getting REAL Jojo. You should start knowing how you truly feel by then.

Edited by Slumber

Opinions seem to vary a lot on which parts of JoJo's are the best, but personally, I thought early Stardust Crusaders was the worst. That's where the series got much more episodic, which unfortunately is something that sticks around - not forever, but a while, from what I have heard. (I haven't read the manga yet.) I think the real issue is that Araki was trying out new things and took a while to get back into his groove, though; Stardust Crusaders has some amazing episodes later on, and I highly recommend trying to stick with it until the end, even if you're losing interest now.

Part 2 is still my favorite, but I can't put Part 4 far behind, and if I was ranking individual battles then Stardust Crusaders might hold the top two. The series is more episodic from here out, but Araki really learns to use the villain of the week thing well, and some good ongoing plots work their way back in too.

JoJo's does keep doing the soft reboot thing, though, so keep that in mind. Parts 1 and 2 were closely connected and pretty similar, but Araki seems to like experimenting, and each part has its own style and cast. Some of them might not work for you as well as others.