Shadow Dragon: My personal thoughts and experiences

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is a game that tends to get criticized a lot for seeming like a step backward from Radiant Dawn. Before forming an opinion on the game, I decided to try it out so I could get a good idea of the game. Below are my thoughts and experiences that I felt like sharing.

I went with normal mode because I wanted to do the prologue and i suck. I played the game “semi”-iron man. There were some deaths I reset for, but a good portion of them I let go. So I had to find ways to compensate for these units deaths. I found I had a lot of fun playing this way, utilizing the tools the game gives me to make up for my shortcomings as a player.

throughout the game, I kept finding myself wanting to play less and less, simply because the world jsut seemed so dull. Almost no one had a character other than Marth and a few others. Eventually I reached the desert chapter and I quit for a while, bored with the story and the game itself.

I was reading some topics about the game, and a certain mod’s points about the writing, music, and sheer customizability and fun with reclassing really gave the game a lot more depth. Hearing this as well as wanting to finish what I started, I picked the game back up and, just started trying things that sounded fun.

playing this way, I had a lot more fun. Stuff like loading Navarre with spirit dusts and a 15 might levin sword with starsphere was some of the most fun I’ve had in FE. Playing around with reclassing and trying new things gave me a new appreciation for Shadow Dragon. 

Paying attention to the writing as I went along, I found it to be a very well written script with some quite charming moments, with one of my favorite lines being from Marth: “I am a prince before I am a son or brother” (Pardon if I have the line slightly incorrect my memory isn’t the greatest). The music in particular was some of the best ive heard in the series with the preparations theme being a particular favorite of mine.

i guess all in all I have a newfound appreciation in a game that I quit playing, and I think there is a legitimately good game to be found here. 

That’s all I wanted to say. Sorry if I’m rambling, but I wanted to share my thoughts after playing this game. 

47 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is a game that tends to get criticized a lot for seeming like a step backward from Radiant Dawn. Before forming an opinion on the game, I decided to try it out so I could get a good idea of the game. Below are my thoughts and experiences that I felt like sharing.

I went with normal mode because I wanted to do the prologue and i suck. I played the game “semi”-iron man. There were some deaths I reset for, but a good portion of them I let go. So I had to find ways to compensate for these units deaths. I found I had a lot of fun playing this way, utilizing the tools the game gives me to make up for my shortcomings as a player.

throughout the game, I kept finding myself wanting to play less and less, simply because the world jsut seemed so dull. Almost no one had a character other than Marth and a few others. Eventually I reached the desert chapter and I quit for a while, bored with the story and the game itself.

I was reading some topics about the game, and a certain mod’s points about the writing, music, and sheer customizability and fun with reclassing really gave the game a lot more depth. Hearing this as well as wanting to finish what I started, I picked the game back up and, just started trying things that sounded fun.

playing this way, I had a lot more fun. Stuff like loading Navarre with spirit dusts and a 15 might levin sword with starsphere was some of the most fun I’ve had in FE. Playing around with reclassing and trying new things gave me a new appreciation for Shadow Dragon. 

Paying attention to the writing as I went along, I found it to be a very well written script with some quite charming moments, with one of my favorite lines being from Marth: “I am a prince before I am a son or brother” (Pardon if I have the line slightly incorrect my memory isn’t the greatest). The music in particular was some of the best ive heard in the series with the preparations theme being a particular favorite of mine.

i guess all in all I have a newfound appreciation in a game that I quit playing, and I think there is a legitimately good game to be found here. 

That’s all I wanted to say. Sorry if I’m rambling, but I wanted to share my thoughts after playing this game. 

I totally get where you're coming from. I felt the EXACT same way the first time. I then began to try a bit more after getting better with other Fire Emblem games. 

And yes, the story is still rather bare bones, giving nothing but characterization for Marth and a few others, and zero support conversations. 

However, Marth's character development in said story is just incredible. I analyzed his character, and I just fell in love with him that he became my favorite lord of the series. To me, no other character compares.

8 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I totally get where you're coming from. I felt the EXACT same way the first time. I then began to try a bit more after getting better with other Fire Emblem games. 

And yes, the story is still rather bare bones, giving nothing but characterization for Marth and a few others, and zero support conversations. 

However, Marth's character development in said story is just incredible. I analyzed his character, and I just fell in love with him that he became my favorite lord of the series. To me, no other character compares.

I do agree with you on Marth’s characterization. That was something the story did particulary well. 

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

one of my favorite lines being from Marth: “I am a prince before I am a son or brother”

That line is one of the reasons I dislike Marth even more than Micaiah (something that I didn't think was possible). 

Can't say the game wowed me with Marth, am I sadly immune to subtlety, or do others read too much? I don't know. I'm not particularly into lords save Hector though. The only place I really like Marth is Smash, because tipper and I like his white recolor.

Reclass in its first iteration is quite free, for better or worse. I generally stuck to using only the "good" characters though, so the fun of using sub-optimals was lost to me. The absence of personality further hurts my willingness to use them. Revelation Nyx might get me to use her if I were to dislike Leo and Odin in their personalities that much, but empty most of them be, such subjective emotive criterion have no sway over "objective" gameplay concerns.

Shadow Dragon ranks poorly for me, Marth didn't get the resources he deserved for a remake. New Mystery seems to have fixed this though, if still with issues like any game of course.

Happy to know somebody really enjoyed it though. I was never much too critical of FE11 when I first played it I shall admit, I had fun, but its reputation has soured for me over time.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I do agree with you on Marth’s characterization. That was something the story did particulary well. 

Indeed. He's one of the most well-developed characters, a person who felt his entire world crashing down in a single day, having lost EVERYTHING he loved, and being thrown into the fight where he felt the weight of the world on his shoulders, and he embraced it completely. It's one of the reasons I consider him better than other Lords, even the likes of Ike, Seliph, Leif, etc.

34 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That line is one of the reasons I dislike Marth even more than Micaiah (something that I didn't think was possible). 

How can you dislike him for that? This man lost so much, but even then, despite how he desperately wants to cry and mourn, he puts his responsibility as a prince for the sake of others. He places the betterment of others above himself. For you to think that makes him a terrible person, something is wrong with you.

23 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's one of the reasons I consider him better than other Lords, even the likes of Ike, Seliph, Leif, etc.

Ike is understandable, but remember that Seliph and Leif's games are 22 and 19 years old, respectively, and they haven't yet hit the West in any official capacity. Given that the latter 2 exist in a much darker time than even Marth, they could be given similar characterization if and when their games get remade.

2 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Ike is understandable, but remember that Seliph and Leif's games are 22 and 19 years old, respectively, and they haven't yet hit the West in any official capacity. Given that the latter 2 exist in a much darker time than even Marth, they could be given similar characterization if and when their games get remade.

Oh, they actually ARE similar in characterization. But it makes sense, given that they were all made by the same creator. However, in both Seliph and Leif's cases, even if they both went through their own struggles, I felt Marth handled things a lot better. 

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Care to explain why you feel that way? I genuinely don’t understand why you feel that.

Shadow Dragon doesn't just seem a step back compared to RD but also to the GBA games which I think is its main problem. Shadow Dragon wasn't a console game like the Tellius game so I wasn't expecting a story on the scale of Tellius, but I certainly was expecting a game with a story where things actually happened and where characters could at least convey who they were and what they were about, like in the GBA games. Shadow Dragon fails that comparison pretty hard. The vast majority of the characters are blank slates, the cutscenes are all stuck in this archaic form where Marth can only chat with the adviser and plot relevant princess, the world building isn't there and the villains are mostly defined by an extreme lack of screentime. 

Shadow Dragon does have some saving graces. For a game that takes such a bare bones approach in its story it sure has a good map narration system. As stated Marth's characterization is consistently excellent and Shadow Dragon can even have a little fun when it tries like Caeda ''seducing'' Roger, King Jiol complaining about being neglected or the whole gaggles thing. The gameplay's pretty decent too, not the best in the series but certainly not the worst either.

Still, its obvious that Shadow Dragon wasn't a very big deal to the people who made it and that little resources , love and effort went into it. And I'd say Marth deserves better then that, as do the Western fans who wondered so long about Marth's game only to get a pretty flawed experience. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Shadow Dragon doesn't just seem a step back compared to RD but also to the GBA games which I think is its main problem. Shadow Dragon wasn't a console game like the Tellius game so I wasn't expecting a story on the scale of Tellius, but I certainly was expecting a game with a story where things actually happened and where characters could at least convey who they were and what they were about, like in the GBA games. Shadow Dragon fails that comparison pretty hard. The vast majority of the characters are blank slate, the cutscenes are all stuck in this archaic form where Marth can only chat with the adviser and plot relevant princess, the world building isn't there and the villains are mostly defined by an extreme lack of screentime. 

Shadow Dragon does have some saving graces. For a game that takes such a bare bones approach in its story it sure has a good map narration system. As stated Marth's characterization is consistently excellent and Shadow Dragon can even have a little fun when it tries like Caeda ''seducing'' Roger, King Jiol complaining about being neglected or the whole gaggles thing. The gameplay's pretty decent too, not the best in the series but certainly not the worst either.

Still, its obvious that Shadow Dragon wasn't a very big deal to the people who made it and that little resources , love and effort went into it. And I'd say Marth deserves better then that, as do the Western fans who wondered so long about Marth's game only to get a pretty flawed experience. 

That would probably be my main problem with the game. There were certain characters in the game that I really would have liked to see more characterization or interactions with them. And I do see that this game certainly could have had more put into it, but I hardly think that this game is unplayable. 

One thing I think would have been really nice to see are some one off conversations or scenes with Medeus and his advisors/servants like with Ashnard in POR. 

Ah, yes, another reminder I need to go back and finish this one - I quit a while back when my stupidity led to Palla dying the turn she was recruited. Need to give Marth another chance, I liked what I played up until the tragic end.

32 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

That would probably be my main problem with the game. There were certain characters in the game that I really would have liked to see more characterization or interactions with them. And I do see that this game certainly could have had more put into it, but I hardly think that this game is unplayable. 

One thing I think would have been really nice to see are some one off conversations or scenes with Medeus and his advisors/servants like with Ashnard in POR. 

Indeed. Medeus was really shafted. He deserved more characterization. He's definitely a final boss with one of the biggest character motivations for being evil.

Huh im the same way with Shadow Dragon. Ive beaten it a few times but its definitely not as good as other fire emblems. I personally hate reclassing because how i see it is the class is part of the identity of the character and then you just change it which to me makes no sense, so that part isnt fun to me so i have to rely on the combat, story and character development to really get me involved which it doesnt really. Its a fire emblem game so it will always be enjoyable but when comapred to others its lacking sadly, considering how well Shadows valentia is, graphics wise. 

2 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

Huh im the same way with Shadow Dragon. Ive beaten it a few times but its definitely not as good as other fire emblems. I personally hate reclassing because how i see it is the class is part of the identity of the character and then you just change it which to me makes no sense, so that part isnt fun to me so i have to rely on the combat, story and character development to really get me involved which it doesnt really. Its a fire emblem game so it will always be enjoyable but when comapred to others its lacking sadly, considering how well Shadows valentia is, graphics wise. 

The first remake and they were trying way too hard to be loyal. Echoes is better as a remake cause it does alter many things that help it out. It still has issues with being too loyal, but not to the extent of how Shadow Dragon did.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

The first remake and they were trying way too hard to be loyal. Echoes is better as a remake cause it does alter many things that help it out. It still has issues with being too loyal, but not to the extent of how Shadow Dragon did.

I feel like the issue is that Shadow Dragon was loyal in the wrong ways.

On the one hand, they kept the maps, enemy composition, character stats, and character interactions (mostly) intact. But on the other hand they modernized the stat system, added the weapon triangle, added a cookie cutter reclassing system, and the few new characters they added required you to kill your own characters to get them. A lot of the latter strongly conflict with the former or accentuate problems that existed in the originals like roster balance. Most of the characters that got added dialogue already had a presence to begin with in FE1/3 while a lot of nobodies were still left with naught but a death quote, and combined with the death-unlocked characters it feels like characterization is even lower overall than the originals.

But that's not to say all the changes were bad. It was a testing ground for a lot of new features that got refined in future entries (reclassing, the weapon rank system) and a few characters (Cain most notably) got something out of it. In fact, as the OP stated its broken level of freedom is arguably the main selling point: you can have a lot of messing around even on the highest difficulty. That's something I feel like New Mystery lost out on, despite the additional polish and fixing some of the problems Shadow Dragon had.

2 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Camus and Michalis would like some too, Medeus isn't the only villain with this issue. I tried to write in a few when I thought of "enhancing" SD's script:

Spoiler

One radical and long attempt to make Camus more sympathetic:

Spoiler
    • The scene then shifts to Grust, earlier than the end of the battle above to be precise. Camus informs his King Ludwik that Aurelis has been liberated. Ludwik responds says they must conquer Aurelis immediately, they cannot upset Emperor Medeus. Camus says he understands this, and with support from Gra is preparing to fight in Aurelis again. But more importantly, it appears that the newly formed Archanean League has headed southeast, it must be attempting to free Archanea. Your Majesty, please grant me leave and allow me to chase down Prince Marth and his Aurelian allies, Dolhr will be most pleased if we are able to accomplish such. Ludwik then speaks, sorry, but Dolhr told him not to let you Camus leave the country whatsoever. Forgive me my greatest general, but I cannot let you leave. Camus says he understand. Ludwik then grants his request to pursue Prince Marth’s forces immediately, all resources the Kingdom of Grust has are at his disposal. Ludwik’s dialogue bears signs of weakness, such as a stutter perhaps, but no bitterness- he is a good man at heart.
    • Camus leaves his king’s audience, following him is Lorenz, who was quietly in attendance. Camus asks Lorenz to go to Archanea in his stead. Lorenz turns this offer down, why must he obey His Majesty? You alone could bring a swift end to Archanea. Camus says Lorenz is more experienced than he is, even if truth be granted that he, Camus the Sable as he has become known, is superior. Lorenz is no certainly slouch, he too is the pride of Grust. Lorenz then asks if Princes Marth and Hardin are such a threat, why not join them against Medeus? You did- . Camus then interrupts Lorenz. I already tried to escape my collar, I did what I could. Should I struggle again, I will suffocate (be executed). And don’t forget the Prince and Princess are being “cared for” by the Dark Pontifex. Lorenz then utters little more than a “but” only for Camus to sternly rebuke him. His Majesty King Ludwik of Grust obeys Emperor Medeus, and I obey King Ludwik. Would you have me defy him!? As a man of so many years Lorenz, I’d expect you to know the history of our land better than I. 
      • For the hundreds of years when Grust was a remote province of the Holy Kingdom of Archanea, it was ruled by royal governors. These governors were supposed to obey Archanea, and at first they did. But so far from Pales, the governors found themselves free to skirt their duties, and so they began to live like kings. It is in the blood of us Grustians to fight, and once we saw the luxuries the governors were amassing, we coveted them. It didn’t have to turn out this way, but it did. One day, a general in the governor’s service, envying what he had, killed the governor in cold blood. He then took the position for himself, and Pales turned a blind eye to the murder. Pales turned a blind eye to much of what happened in the following centuries, as long as it got its tax revenues. General after general overthrew each other and engaged in their own wanton fit of violence and hedonism until they too were dispossessed. Stability, imposed by Archanea or by some miracle of internal dynastic succession, was always temporary. King Ordwin brought an end to this vicious cycle, he suppressed the Grustian martial instinct and got the generals and advisors to heel. Since then, the day of independence from Archanea and from the rule by disobedient brutes, Grust has known peace and prosperity.
    • Would you have me disobey His Majesty and set a precedent that could return Grust to its dark age? His Majesty is weak, but he has sired children, so as long as we obey Dolhr, Grust’s royal line will endure. And so as long as Grust’s military is intact to serve the royal lineage, one day, a king may come who will wish to see Dolhr overthrown. The generals of that age as strong as us will be able to overthrow Dolhr, and they’ll do it without ruining Grust. For now, Dolhr is a fair master, we provide the forces that staff much of its empire, we pay a little extra in taxes, offer some servants to Medeus, and acknowledge dragonkind’s superiority, that is all. The Kingdom of Grust and its people can bear this, they cannot and should not endure bloodshed of time past ever again. Do you understand Lorenz? Dumbstruck into silence by Camus’s words, Lorenz agrees, he will go on and stop the Archanean League. Camus says he has already sent a messenger to the garrisons to the distant east, hopefully they’ll be able to buy you some time.

One for Michalis after Minerva joins:

Spoiler
    • The scene shifts to Macedon and Michalis. Minerva has betrayed me? So she finally made her move, and it infuriates me let her do it successfully. She should know the price of this treachery, she will have to live with the guilt of traded the lives of her allies for her personal freedom. Michalis calls for a servant and asks them to begin surveying the government, military and all of Macedonian society for dissent, throw them in prison. If they’re filled to the brim, just kill the surplus. Michalis then calls out to another servant, order the withdrawal of our continental forces in Archanea, my turncoat sister has left them crippled and in disarray. I must personally restore them to rightful power and prestige. Speaking to himself after the second servant leaves, Michalis says Minerva has only made Macedon suspect in the eyes of Dolhr, its people shall bear the weigh of this suspicion. He then says one more thing, this time not so angrily, Minerva, if there is anything I can demand of you, keep Maria safe.

One for Medeus after Archanea is liberated:

Spoiler
    • The scene turns to Dolhr and Medeus, chronologically before the narration. Medeus is furious by the news he receives from a servant that Archanea has been lost. Medeus asks what Grust and Macedon are doing now, and is told that Grust failed to reclaim all of Aurelis, now finding itself precariously wedged between Aurelis and Archanea. Medeus then speaks, how did Aurelis not fall after all this time? What of Khadein and Gra? Even with support from Grust they failed to take the meager Aurelis?! Medeus is told that Gharnef failed to send adequate support and Gra states it doesn’t have the resources. So Gharnef thinks he can defy me and Gra is incompetent? Wretched humans, disobedient and weak! Tell Grust it may withdraw north, and that General Lorenz is to be sent back for a general I shall name shortly. Macedon must reorganize its forces and get to fighting the Archanean League immediately. If Anri’s child thinks his empire is done for, he knows not how deep his ire goes.

I probably should have added another one or two for Medeus.

For the big bad of Archanea, Medeus does get the short end of things. He shouldn't be like Idunn, the Fire Dragon, and Ashera, he should be like Ashnard indeed. Medeus has a sympathetic past- he defiantly of his entire race trusted Naga, but this trust, which couldn't have come easy, was broken by humanity. Yet like Nergal, and more relevantly, Gharnef, there is no felt sympathy.

In FE1/11, Gharnef and Camus outdo him as the most present villains, and in FE3/12, well Medeus isn't actually necessary if you think about it. Gharnef brought him back and he just chills in the Dragon's Table, Gharnef is clearly the mastermind in control of everything, even if Medeus now back doesn't actually plan to do Gharnef's bidding.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The vast majority of the characters are blank slates, the cutscenes are all stuck in this archaic form where Marth can only chat with the adviser and plot relevant princess

I would've like a bit more of an ensemble too. I was thinking Marth, Malledus, Nyna, and adding: Caeda due to being Marth's lover, Hardin because of Mystery, and Minerva because she is rather important as Macedon's future queen. All of these characters barring Malledus would also be royalty, which I think is befitting of Archanea. Everyone has a purpose: Marth is the leader, Nyna is the liege, Malledus advises, Caeda consoles Marth and leads his initial backer of Talys, and Hardin and Minerva represent powerful countries (Minerva can bring some Macedonian defector forces with her) and are more experienced warriors than the greenhorn Marth (but he is more perfect a leader to compensate). Other characters could come and go for specific moments too if alive, but wouldn't be a fixture of the main plot.

Boss conversations are another thing I'd like. Linde, Merric, Wendel, Maria, Lena, Marth, Minerva, Caeda, Tiki, and Hardin vs. Gharnef. Marth vs. Jiol; Marth, Gotoh, Hardin, Minerva (he compares them to Cartas and Iote) and Tiki vs. Medeus. Jake, Roger, Beck, Marth, Hardin, Minerva, Lorenz, and Lena vs. Camus. If Tellius gave a gazillion boss convos to Ashnard, and even more against all the Part 4 Final bosses (did Haar really need boss convos?), I don't think this would be asking for too much. SoV gave final battle quips to everyone, so maybe FE is moving back in this general direction again.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Camus and Michalis would like some too, Medeus isn't the only villain with this issue. I tried to write in a few when I thought of "enhancing" SD's script:

I should have said that with other villains. I just used Medeus as an example since he’s the main villan.

I would respond to more of you but mobile sucks 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hide contents

One radical and long attempt to make Camus more sympathetic:

Hide contents
    • The scene then shifts to Grust, earlier than the end of the battle above to be precise. Camus informs his King Ludwik that Aurelis has been liberated. Ludwik responds says they must conquer Aurelis immediately, they cannot upset Emperor Medeus. Camus says he understands this, and with support from Gra is preparing to fight in Aurelis again. But more importantly, it appears that the newly formed Archanean League has headed southeast, it must be attempting to free Archanea. Your Majesty, please grant me leave and allow me to chase down Prince Marth and his Aurelian allies, Dolhr will be most pleased if we are able to accomplish such. Ludwik then speaks, sorry, but Dolhr told him not to let you Camus leave the country whatsoever. Forgive me my greatest general, but I cannot let you leave. Camus says he understand. Ludwik then grants his request to pursue Prince Marth’s forces immediately, all resources the Kingdom of Grust has are at his disposal. Ludwik’s dialogue bears signs of weakness, such as a stutter perhaps, but no bitterness- he is a good man at heart.
    • Camus leaves his king’s audience, following him is Lorenz, who was quietly in attendance. Camus asks Lorenz to go to Archanea in his stead. Lorenz turns this offer down, why must he obey His Majesty? You alone could bring a swift end to Archanea. Camus says Lorenz is more experienced than he is, even if truth be granted that he, Camus the Sable as he has become known, is superior. Lorenz is no certainly slouch, he too is the pride of Grust. Lorenz then asks if Princes Marth and Hardin are such a threat, why not join them against Medeus? You did- . Camus then interrupts Lorenz. I already tried to escape my collar, I did what I could. Should I struggle again, I will suffocate (be executed). And don’t forget the Prince and Princess are being “cared for” by the Dark Pontifex. Lorenz then utters little more than a “but” only for Camus to sternly rebuke him. His Majesty King Ludwik of Grust obeys Emperor Medeus, and I obey King Ludwik. Would you have me defy him!? As a man of so many years Lorenz, I’d expect you to know the history of our land better than I. 
      • For the hundreds of years when Grust was a remote province of the Holy Kingdom of Archanea, it was ruled by royal governors. These governors were supposed to obey Archanea, and at first they did. But so far from Pales, the governors found themselves free to skirt their duties, and so they began to live like kings. It is in the blood of us Grustians to fight, and once we saw the luxuries the governors were amassing, we coveted them. It didn’t have to turn out this way, but it did. One day, a general in the governor’s service, envying what he had, killed the governor in cold blood. He then took the position for himself, and Pales turned a blind eye to the murder. Pales turned a blind eye to much of what happened in the following centuries, as long as it got its tax revenues. General after general overthrew each other and engaged in their own wanton fit of violence and hedonism until they too were dispossessed. Stability, imposed by Archanea or by some miracle of internal dynastic succession, was always temporary. King Ordwin brought an end to this vicious cycle, he suppressed the Grustian martial instinct and got the generals and advisors to heel. Since then, the day of independence from Archanea and from the rule by disobedient brutes, Grust has known peace and prosperity.
    • Would you have me disobey His Majesty and set a precedent that could return Grust to its dark age? His Majesty is weak, but he has sired children, so as long as we obey Dolhr, Grust’s royal line will endure. And so as long as Grust’s military is intact to serve the royal lineage, one day, a king may come who will wish to see Dolhr overthrown. The generals of that age as strong as us will be able to overthrow Dolhr, and they’ll do it without ruining Grust. For now, Dolhr is a fair master, we provide the forces that staff much of its empire, we pay a little extra in taxes, offer some servants to Medeus, and acknowledge dragonkind’s superiority, that is all. The Kingdom of Grust and its people can bear this, they cannot and should not endure bloodshed of time past ever again. Do you understand Lorenz? Dumbstruck into silence by Camus’s words, Lorenz agrees, he will go on and stop the Archanean League. Camus says he has already sent a messenger to the garrisons to the distant east, hopefully they’ll be able to buy you some time.

One for Michalis after Minerva joins:

Hide contents
    • The scene shifts to Macedon and Michalis. Minerva has betrayed me? So she finally made her move, and it infuriates me let her do it successfully. She should know the price of this treachery, she will have to live with the guilt of traded the lives of her allies for her personal freedom. Michalis calls for a servant and asks them to begin surveying the government, military and all of Macedonian society for dissent, throw them in prison. If they’re filled to the brim, just kill the surplus. Michalis then calls out to another servant, order the withdrawal of our continental forces in Archanea, my turncoat sister has left them crippled and in disarray. I must personally restore them to rightful power and prestige. Speaking to himself after the second servant leaves, Michalis says Minerva has only made Macedon suspect in the eyes of Dolhr, its people shall bear the weigh of this suspicion. He then says one more thing, this time not so angrily, Minerva, if there is anything I can demand of you, keep Maria safe.

One for Medeus after Archanea is liberated:

Hide contents
    • The scene turns to Dolhr and Medeus, chronologically before the narration. Medeus is furious by the news he receives from a servant that Archanea has been lost. Medeus asks what Grust and Macedon are doing now, and is told that Grust failed to reclaim all of Aurelis, now finding itself precariously wedged between Aurelis and Archanea. Medeus then speaks, how did Aurelis not fall after all this time? What of Khadein and Gra? Even with support from Grust they failed to take the meager Aurelis?! Medeus is told that Gharnef failed to send adequate support and Gra states it doesn’t have the resources. So Gharnef thinks he can defy me and Gra is incompetent? Wretched humans, disobedient and weak! Tell Grust it may withdraw north, and that General Lorenz is to be sent back for a general I shall name shortly. Macedon must reorganize its forces and get to fighting the Archanean League immediately. If Anri’s child thinks his empire is done for, he knows not how deep his ire goes.

I probably should have added another one or two for Medeus.

For the big bad of Archanea, Medeus does get the short end of things. He shouldn't be like Idunn, the Fire Dragon, and Ashera, he should be like Ashnard indeed. Medeus has a sympathetic past- he defiantly of his entire race trusted Naga, but this trust, which couldn't have come easy, was broken by humanity. Yet like Nergal, and more relevantly, Gharnef, there is no felt sympathy.

In FE1/11, Gharnef and Camus outdo him as the most present villains, and in FE3/12, well Medeus isn't actually necessary if you think about it. Gharnef brought him back and he just chills in the Dragon's Table, Gharnef is clearly the mastermind in control of everything, even if Medeus now back doesn't actually plan to do Gharnef's bidding.

I would've like a bit more of an ensemble too. I was thinking Marth, Malledus, Nyna, and adding: Caeda due to being Marth's lover, Hardin because of Mystery, and Minerva because she is rather important as Macedon's future queen. All of these characters barring Malledus would also be royalty, which I think is befitting of Archanea. Everyone has a purpose: Marth is the leader, Nyna is the liege, Malledus advises, Caeda consoles Marth and leads his initial backer of Talys, and Hardin and Minerva represent powerful countries (Minerva can bring some Macedonian defector forces with her) and are more experienced warriors than the greenhorn Marth (but he is more perfect a leader to compensate). Other characters could come and go for specific moments too if alive, but wouldn't be a fixture of the main plot.

Boss conversations are another thing I'd like. Linde, Merric, Wendel, Maria, Lena, Marth, Minerva, Caeda, Tiki, and Hardin vs. Gharnef. Marth vs. Jiol; Marth, Gotoh, Hardin, Minerva (he compares them to Cartas and Iote) and Tiki vs. Medeus. Jake, Roger, Beck, Marth, Hardin, Minerva, Lorenz, and Lena vs. Camus. If Tellius gave a gazillion boss convos to Ashnard, and even more against all the Part 4 Final bosses (did Haar really need boss convos?), I don't think this would be asking for too much. SoV gave final battle quips to everyone, so maybe FE is moving back in this general direction again.

WOW, I absolutely LOVE these ideas of yours. Michalis should get a bit more. Maybe add a little bit of the manga in there, where Michalis also seeks to possibly try and recruit Camus, as he seeks might from the strongest of soldiers, as he desires nothing more than to make Macedon the strongest. He doesn't discriminate between the birth of someone, if they are strong to crush anyone in their way, they are worthy. The very fact that Michalis purposefully places cowards on the frontlines is to weed out the weak. Michalis is actually the first Ashnard if we think about it. It's why Gotoh in the manga refers to Marth and Michalis as the two that can change the entire continent. One is indiscriminate of those and wants unity among everyone, the other is indiscriminate on anyone so long as they have strength. 

You can also add in how he can also have a conversation with Lena since it was revealed that Lena was Michalis' fianceé, but she left. In fact, Michalis indirectly mentions her in his support with Kris. 

We can also see some things about how there are people of Macedon truly do love Michalis and want him to win, indicating how Archanea had abused their relations with Macedon and made the nation weak, but Michalis made them feel like they could stand with pride again. 

I would prefer if we got a bit more indications by how the Manaketes were treated very badly in the past. I mean, Medeus has reason to hate humans, but we never see the prejudice on dragons because dragons are either in hiding or try to subjugate humans for Dolhr.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:01 PM, omegaxis1 said:

You can also add in how he can also have a conversation with Lena since it was revealed that Lena was Michalis' fianceé, but she left. In fact, Michalis indirectly mentions her in his support with Kris. 

I actually wrote up brief little gists of everyone's battle conversations for everyone but Medeus. They're mere fanfiction, too wordy, and my interpretations of certain characters might not square with your's, but I'll present them anyhow and let you be the judge of them.:

Spoiler

Marth vs. King Jiol of Grust:

• Jiol now gets a unique boss conversation with Marth. In it, Jiol calls Marth an upstart princeling. Marth then demands to know why Jiol betrayed Altea, answer, he might be spared. Jiol says he wants nothing of this wretch’s mercy! Gra was sick of being in Altea's shadow. Altea had always looked down on us and everyone else had gone along with it. Dolhr was my chance to get Gra the respect it deserves. Marth then inquires why Jiol would go so far as to side with Medeus to achieve this. Jiol responds that Gra is destined for vassalage, but Dolhr promised more. That was a lie. Why would he be fighting you if it wasn’t? But the Shadow Dragon can’t ignore me if I collect your head. Die this time princeling!

Vs. Camus the Sable:

Spoiler
  • In the Lorenz conversation, Lorenz apologizes to Camus, his loyalty to Grust has always been suspect since the day King Ludwik chose to side with Dolhr. Camus says that as a childhood friend of the king (my addition), he knows well that he has always been of a weak constitution and a mind frail. His Majesty is ill once again, and the worry each loss we his retainers have suffered have worsened his condition. If Grust falls today, our King will perish of disease and despair. Lorenz then speaks briefly that he shall kill the King he, for all his faults, loves. Camus then says having betrayed, Lorenz may be able to earn Archanea’s favor, if Grust should fall, use that favor to find and protect the young prince and princess. They are Grust’s future. Lorenz swears that he shall, for Camus’s sake, His Majesty’s, and dear Grust’s. Camus then speaks again, now Lorenz, traitor to Grust, be prepared to end your life upon my Gradivus! Lorenz responds, he his friend and former comrade shall grant the Sable Knight a merciful end.
  • Jake’s conversation is him saying to Camus that he is quite the handsome knight, the ladies of Grust, nay the world are enamored with him. Camus responds that cares not for such affections, his heart belongs but to one, and to she he cannot yield in contradiction to his loyalty. Jake responds he loves the ladies, but he too has given his heart to but one (Anna). 
  • Roger comments on having always looked up to the great Camus the Sable like all other ordinary Grustians, to think he would have to fight him. Camus says his repute is something he cannot betray for it keeps Grust alive. I hope you realize the consequences of facing me my former compatriot, but if you can survive, you are much stronger than your anxious expression would ever let on.
  • Beck has him mumbling to himself about setting the aim of his ballista right, if there is one shot he cannot miss, it’s this one. Camus responds, hmm? A survivor of the Wooden Cavalry is trying to assassinate me? Beck responds, darn you’ve noticed me, good eyesight my lord Sable. Camus responds back, do your best and honor your fallen battalion, but I will dance around every shot you fire!
  • Lena’s conversation has him recognizing who she is after they last saw each other briefly in Pales a few years ago, and prior to that in Grust. Camus, out of a sense of chivalry, tells the fair maiden of beauty and wisdom beyond her years to get away, once again he will let her go, he does not wish to do her harm. Lena says she must protect those whom she loves, and if this means fighting you lord Camus, then so it sadly shall be. Camus then says her decision will make her a martyr for the ages, but how he shall regret doing it.
  • The Hardin conversation begins with Hardin saying Nyna told him that you were the one who brought her to Aurelis, I want to thank you for that. Camus responds that he heard of the exploits of the Coyote, dashing across the Aurelian Plains, always evading capture and always striking hard and fast. When he could no longer protect the Princess from Medeus, he could find no other option remotely as good as him (Hardin). But why not defect here and now Hardin asks, it would do us all some good. Camus says he knows why, and he can see in the Coyote’s eyes, you so badly want to fight me [I forget why I wrote this part, but I don't think it was battle lust, rather Hardin wanting to prove himself against the one Nyna really loves- love insecurity]. Hardin responds, I will make it quick Sable, but do entertain my blade. Camus responds, Gradivus is more than a match, you shall be skinned Coyote, your pelt will cover my shoulders.

• The Minerva conversation begins with Camus speaking, this is the Crimson Dragoon, sister to Michalis. Your expression is as rough, but it lacks his ambitiousness. Minerva responds, you’ve met my brother Camus the Sable? Camus responds, it was but once and in secret, Medeus would never allow it. We discussed allying together, eliminating the resistance, and at a latter date using our combined forces to overturn Medeus. It was Michalis’s plan, but I took interest in it. Minerva responds, but you could never agree to it as long as your king was as he is. Camus responds, so very true, I will not contradict my king’s order, but were it to change of his own free will, I would obey it so. Minerva speaks again, the most loyal of knights and my arrogant, regicidal and patricidal brother, so antithetical a combination, and yet you could have done spectacularly together given your talents. Camus then speaks, Michalis wished to test me in battle, but I hadn’t the care or the time. I’ve heard you’re quite strong Princess Minerva, for your brother’s sake, will you fight me in his stead? Minerva answers, of all the stupid ideas… but my axe is ready, farewell Camus the Sable.

• Marth’s conversation begins with Marth saying he cannot let Camus oppose them, but for Nyna he will try his best to spare him from death itself. Camus responds, you are without your Falchion Prince Marth of Altea, and yet you boldly seek to duel me. That blade can rend Medeus asunder, but in the hands of a weakling the most common sellsword could be its bearer’s end. I have seen the Shadow Dragon in person, his power is immense, even greater than my own. If you cannot defeat me Marth, then you stand no chance of prevailing over Medeus. Compassion is a trait of a good ruler, but now is not the time for it, come at me! Lose, and along with your life, your entire cause is forfeit. Marth responds, even if he should perish, his allies will fight on to ultimate victory, the League’s success is owed to many more than just him. Camus, I will meet your challenge!

Vs. Michalis:

Spoiler
  • His Minerva battle conversation could use touchups, but I can't suggest any. I like it too much as is to do that.
  • Maria gets her battle conversation fleshed out though. It begins with Michalis’s one line of dialogue with her, and then moves to Maria calling out to her brother to stop this and let them all be family again, she doesn’t want to fight him. Michalis cannot believe that Maria his sweet innocent sister as pure as he is not would oppose him like this, and calls it a cruel trick arranged by that Altean wretch, or daresay Minerva because she hates him so much. Maria says that isn’t the case at all, to listen to her and please stop fighting. Michalis responds, crying and yelling at Maria telling her to leave his sight, he doesn’t want to kill her! (This would be a great time to bring back RD's programming trick SoV also uses with Rudolf where certain characters refuse to attack others- Michalis should absolutely not want to attack Maria.)
  • In the Lena conversation, Michalis says he was worried about her, why did you run from me my dear Lena? Lena replies that she did not wish to be used in a game of politics, to live a life free and beyond it all. Michalis responds that although she would have been a great asset in the vicissitudes of politics, he was in his heart enamored with her grace and insight. He will spare the indignity of death if she should accept his proposal again, or at least step aside. Lena responds no to both notions, she did not flee to Archanea only for this to happen. Michalis responds, then she is dead to him, he will show her in her last moments the worthiness of that which she spurns.

• Caeda gets a quick line with Michalis too. Michalis said he has heard of a petty princess afar who rides upon a steed of white. How rare it is to find a non-Macedonian who takes to the Pegasus, he desires to know whether she’ll be better than his sister’s handmaids. Caeda responds he dismisses the Pegasus too much, it’s agility surpasses his dragon’s strength, she will show him what she has learned from riding her cherished steed.

• The Whitewings get individualized lines. With Michalis saying something about them personally, and then the Whitewing responding in a quick two-four line exchange.

• Hardin gets a dialogue with Michalis too. Hardin remarks that he looks forward to fighting Michalis, and Michalis responds he would be delighted to bag the cocky Coyote. Hardin calls out Michalis as just as if not even more arrogant than he, and says the Sable was stronger than them both. Michalis says Camus might have had more power, but how he wasted it a slave to the laughable thing he called a king, and you to your aging brother, that princeling, and the useless Nyna. Hardin responds if he is a slave of wasted potential, he’d rather be that than a usurper of the same, and today he will end one.

• Marth’s dialogue with Michalis starts with Michalis’s one current line, and expands on it. Marth asks why Michalis continues to fight for Dolhr when there is no longer any reason to do so. For Minerva, he is willing to spare him and let him keep the crown. Michalis says will show his strength today as the King of Macedon, he will defeat the princeling and make Archanea submit to him. Then, he will be the one to defeat Gharnef and Medeus. Marth asks but why? Michalis responds failure to do anything less would be a betrayal of what he has worked for, of what Macedon deserves.

Vs. Gharnef:

Spoiler
  • Merric’s dialogue is him wanting to defeat the man who ruined his Khadein and kidnapped Elice, Gharnef mocks Merric as per evil sorcerer standards and says he hopes his death will not crush Elice’s heart. 
  • Gharnef mocks Wendel as the old Pontifex whom he expelled from Khadein and who he is surprised is not dead yet. Wendel responds that Lord Gotoh has sent him in his stead, to oppose his student gone amuck.
  • Linde’s revolves around her wanting vengeance at last, and Gharnef saying how he delighted in killing her father, who in his dialogue suggests he clearly once envied. It'd give us a chance to hear from Gharnef himself what he though of Miloah and maybe how he killed him.

• Marth has a conversation where Gharnef mocks him for being eager to fight, but foolish since he cannot defeat him. Marth then admits it is true, he is no mage and lacks the talent for it and that is bothers him he cannot slay his accursed foe, but he will bear the brunt of his vile powers, if it be necessary for his allies to succeed in their shared duty.

• Hardin gets a conversation where Gharnef peers into his heart and sees worry, anxiety, desire, strong desire, a little bit of hatred, and some envy? Oh ho ho, what a beast the Coyote is on the inside! Hardin shakes off this tellingly true peering with some hesitant words, but then recollects his fearless face and says he will fight on for his great cause/comrades, while he distracts him, they shall do as they must (so it’s like Marth’s convo; the worry and envy is all about love obviously).

• Maria is just her being creeped out by Gharnef. Gharnef says he has long sought her- but Michalis got in the way. Maria responds with her innocent little girl courage mustered up that she will defeat him.

• Lena’s is similar to Maria's, but she is less afraid and more willing to, if not fight (she is willing to fight him, I’m just saying her word choice doesn’t make it explicitly fighting, more sacrificial but not necessary fatal in language), at least be a support for her comrades. Gharnef responds though she be not of royal blood, he has heard much of her; to see her in person, why she is even more promising than he imagined she would be!

• Tiki gets dialogue where she is scared by Gharnef, who threatens to kidnap and brainwash her again. Maybe Gharnef can make it a little clearer what he insidiously had planned for Tiki.

• Minerva is much like Marth and Hardin in that she admits she cannot defeat Gharnef, only hold him off for others. Gharnef comments she may be of royal blood, but her soul is too tainted with impurities to be of much use. Though perhaps once made to heel he can purify her and bring her into his service. 

• Caeda is like the other three non-magic users, and while Gharnef says she of young backwater royal blood, she nonetheless shows potential.

Some other parts of my writing I feel like offering are these:

Spoiler

This is from Chapter 18, taking place after you choose to begin the battle (after finishing with the preparations screen), but before the fighting actually starts.:

• Turning to the boss, he exchanges words with a present Lorenz. The boss beseeches Lorenz to stay here, under his leadership they shall be able to defeat the Archanean League. Lorenz then says that is doubtful, the Sable Order is powerful, but its numbers are too few versus the ever growing League. The boss then asks why they are here then, and Lorenz replies it is to do as King Ludwik asks. Grust is to attack the League and defend Chiasmir at any cost. Even if they cannot win, they must do their duty as loyal soldiers of His Majesty. If we can kill the right individuals or inflict a significant enough wound, perhaps time will be bought before Grust is invaded. The boss then comments that Medeus is allowing the Sable Order to leave Grust, our dire straits is overriding the Emperor’s paranoia and distrust towards humanity. If only Dolhr had permitted us to take to the field much earlier! We could have defeated Aurelis, brought the Emperor Nyna, and beheaded that Altean Prince long ago. Lorenz says what he says is very true, but speak not those words again, they will be the end of you, if you should survive today. The boss says he will give it his all, wishes godspeed to Lorenz and health to General Camus and His Majesty. Lorenz then departs and the battle begins.

And this is from after the battle of Chapter 21, the Macedon clash before fighting Michalis:

• After the battle, the Gotoh dialogue is untouched. New to things is Minerva speaking before Gotoh pops in. Why in all of Archanea does her brother insist on fighting to the end? If he could see the meaningless of this he would clear the way for us to invade Dolhr and I’d let him keep the crown! Marth asks what it is like living next to Dolhr. Minerva says that before Medeus returned it wasn’t that bad. Dolhr largely kept to itself, it decried our use of wyverns as insulting, but it otherwise was just a strange, shut-in neighbor who meant us neither harm nor good. Macedon never cared for Dolhr, but it wasn’t worth it to destroy or conquer it. The infuriated Manakete would once in a while threaten a Macedon border village, or the hunt to capture feral wyverns would cross the border carelessly, but that was as far as hostilities went. Even after Medeus returned and her brother bowed to him, things remained much the same, some tribute, acknowledgement of the superiority of dragonkind, submission to Dolhr, and the dismantling of border fortresses erected precisely in case of Dolhrian aggression. But that was it, no invasion, no tyranny; either Dolhr didn’t care about conquering Macedon, or maybe Michalis kept such demands at bay. She does not know.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I actually wrote up brief little gists of everyone's battle conversations for everyone but Medeus. They're mere fanfiction, too wordy, and my interpretations of certain characters might not square with your's, but I'll present them anyhow and let you be the judge of them.:

Hide contents

Marth vs. King Jiol of Grust:

• Jiol now gets a unique boss conversation with Marth. In it, Jiol calls Marth an upstart princeling. Marth then demands to know why Jiol betrayed Altea, answer, he might be spared. Jiol says he wants nothing of this wretch’s mercy! Gra was sick of being in Altea's shadow. Altea had always looked down on us and everyone else had gone along with it. Dolhr was my chance to get Gra the respect it deserves. Marth then inquires why Jiol would go so far as to side with Medeus to achieve this. Jiol responds that Gra is destined for vassalage, but Dolhr promised more. That was a lie. Why would he be fighting you if it wasn’t? But the Shadow Dragon can’t ignore me if I collect your head. Die this time princeling!

Vs. Camus the Sable:

Hide contents
  • In the Lorenz conversation, Lorenz apologizes to Camus, his loyalty to Grust has always been suspect since the day King Ludwik chose to side with Dolhr. Camus says that as a childhood friend of the king (my addition), he knows well that he has always been of a weak constitution and a mind frail. His Majesty is ill once again, and the worry each loss we his retainers have suffered have worsened his condition. If Grust falls today, our King will perish of disease and despair. Lorenz then speaks briefly that he shall kill the King he, for all his faults, loves. Camus then says having betrayed, Lorenz may be able to earn Archanea’s favor, if Grust should fall, use that favor to find and protect the young prince and princess. They are Grust’s future. Lorenz swears that he shall, for Camus’s sake, His Majesty’s, and dear Grust’s. Camus then speaks again, now Lorenz, traitor to Grust, be prepared to end your life upon my Gradivus! Lorenz responds, he his friend and former comrade shall grant the Sable Knight a merciful end.
  • Jake’s conversation is him saying to Camus that he is quite the handsome knight, the ladies of Grust, nay the world are enamored with him. Camus responds that cares not for such affections, his heart belongs but to one, and to she he cannot yield in contradiction to his loyalty. Jake responds he loves the ladies, but he too has given his heart to but one (Anna). 
  • Roger comments on having always looked up to the great Camus the Sable like all other ordinary Grustians, to think he would have to fight him. Camus says his repute is something he cannot betray for it keeps Grust alive. I hope you realize the consequences of facing me my former compatriot, but if you can survive, you are much stronger than your anxious expression would ever let on.
  • Beck has him mumbling to himself about setting the aim of his ballista right, if there is one shot he cannot miss, it’s this one. Camus responds, hmm? A survivor of the Wooden Cavalry is trying to assassinate me? Beck responds, darn you’ve noticed me, good eyesight my lord Sable. Camus responds back, do your best and honor your fallen battalion, but I will dance around every shot you fire!
  • Lena’s conversation has him recognizing who she is after they last saw each other briefly in Pales a few years ago, and prior to that in Grust. Camus, out of a sense of chivalry, tells the fair maiden of beauty and wisdom beyond her years to get away, once again he will let her go, he does not wish to do her harm. Lena says she must protect those whom she loves, and if this means fighting you lord Camus, then so it sadly shall be. Camus then says her decision will make her a martyr for the ages, but how he shall regret doing it.
  • The Hardin conversation begins with Hardin saying Nyna told him that you were the one who brought her to Aurelis, I want to thank you for that. Camus responds that he heard of the exploits of the Coyote, dashing across the Aurelian Plains, always evading capture and always striking hard and fast. When he could no longer protect the Princess from Medeus, he could find no other option remotely as good as him (Hardin). But why not defect here and now Hardin asks, it would do us all some good. Camus says he knows why, and he can see in the Coyote’s eyes, you so badly want to fight me [I forget why I wrote this part, but I don't think it was battle lust, rather Hardin wanting to prove himself against the one Nyna really loves- love insecurity]. Hardin responds, I will make it quick Sable, but do entertain my blade. Camus responds, Gradivus is more than a match, you shall be skinned Coyote, your pelt will cover my shoulders.

• The Minerva conversation begins with Camus speaking, this is the Crimson Dragoon, sister to Michalis. Your expression is as rough, but it lacks his ambitiousness. Minerva responds, you’ve met my brother Camus the Sable? Camus responds, it was but once and in secret, Medeus would never allow it. We discussed allying together, eliminating the resistance, and at a latter date using our combined forces to overturn Medeus. It was Michalis’s plan, but I took interest in it. Minerva responds, but you could never agree to it as long as your king was as he is. Camus responds, so very true, I will not contradict my king’s order, but were it to change of his own free will, I would obey it so. Minerva speaks again, the most loyal of knights and my arrogant, regicidal and patricidal brother, so antithetical a combination, and yet you could have done spectacularly together given your talents. Camus then speaks, Michalis wished to test me in battle, but I hadn’t the care or the time. I’ve heard you’re quite strong Princess Minerva, for your brother’s sake, will you fight me in his stead? Minerva answers, of all the stupid ideas… but my axe is ready, farewell Camus the Sable.

• Marth’s conversation begins with Marth saying he cannot let Camus oppose them, but for Nyna he will try his best to spare him from death itself. Camus responds, you are without your Falchion Prince Marth of Altea, and yet you boldly seek to duel me. That blade can rend Medeus asunder, but in the hands of a weakling the most common sellsword could be its bearer’s end. I have seen the Shadow Dragon in person, his power is immense, even greater than my own. If you cannot defeat me Marth, then you stand no chance of prevailing over Medeus. Compassion is a trait of a good ruler, but now is not the time for it, come at me! Lose, and along with your life, your entire cause is forfeit. Marth responds, even if he should perish, his allies will fight on to ultimate victory, the League’s success is owed to many more than just him. Camus, I will meet your challenge!

Vs. Michalis:

Hide contents
  • His Minerva battle conversation could use touchups, but I can't suggest any. I like it too much as is to do that.
  • Maria gets her battle conversation fleshed out though. It begins with Michalis’s one line of dialogue with her, and then moves to Maria calling out to her brother to stop this and let them all be family again, she doesn’t want to fight him. Michalis cannot believe that Maria his sweet innocent sister as pure as he is not would oppose him like this, and calls it a cruel trick arranged by that Altean wretch, or daresay Minerva because she hates him so much. Maria says that isn’t the case at all, to listen to her and please stop fighting. Michalis responds, crying and yelling at Maria telling her to leave his sight, he doesn’t want to kill her! (This would be a great time to bring back RD's programming trick SoV also uses with Rudolf where certain characters refuse to attack others- Michalis should absolutely not want to attack Maria.)
  • In the Lena conversation, Michalis says he was worried about her, why did you run from me my dear Lena? Lena replies that she did not wish to be used in a game of politics, to live a life free and beyond it all. Michalis responds that although she would have been a great asset in the vicissitudes of politics, he was in his heart enamored with her grace and insight. He will spare the indignity of death if she should accept his proposal again, or at least step aside. Lena responds no to both notions, she did not flee to Archanea only for this to happen. Michalis responds, then she is dead to him, he will show her in her last moments the worthiness of that which she spurns.

• Caeda gets a quick line with Michalis too. Michalis said he has heard of a petty princess afar who rides upon a steed of white. How rare it is to find a non-Macedonian who takes to the Pegasus, he desires to know whether she’ll be better than his sister’s handmaids. Caeda responds he dismisses the Pegasus too much, it’s agility surpasses his dragon’s strength, she will show him what she has learned from riding her cherished steed.

• The Whitewings get individualized lines. With Michalis saying something about them personally, and then the Whitewing responding in a quick two-four line exchange.

• Hardin gets a dialogue with Michalis too. Hardin remarks that he looks forward to fighting Michalis, and Michalis responds he would be delighted to bag the cocky Coyote. Hardin calls out Michalis as just as if not even more arrogant than he, and says the Sable was stronger than them both. Michalis says Camus might have had more power, but how he wasted it a slave to the laughable thing he called a king, and you to your aging brother, that princeling, and the useless Nyna. Hardin responds if he is a slave of wasted potential, he’d rather be that than a usurper of the same, and today he will end one.

• Marth’s dialogue with Michalis starts with Michalis’s one current line, and expands on it. Marth asks why Michalis continues to fight for Dolhr when there is no longer any reason to do so. For Minerva, he is willing to spare him and let him keep the crown. Michalis says will show his strength today as the King of Macedon, he will defeat the princeling and make Archanea submit to him. Then, he will be the one to defeat Gharnef and Medeus. Marth asks but why? Michalis responds failure to do anything less would be a betrayal of what he has worked for, of what Macedon deserves.

Vs. Gharnef:

Hide contents
  • Merric’s dialogue is him wanting to defeat the man who ruined his Khadein and kidnapped Elice, Gharnef mocks Merric as per evil sorcerer standards and says he hopes his death will not crush Elice’s heart. 
  • Gharnef mocks Wendel as the old Pontifex whom he expelled from Khadein and who he is surprised is not dead yet. Wendel responds that Lord Gotoh has sent him in his stead, to oppose his student gone amuck.
  • Linde’s revolves around her wanting vengeance at last, and Gharnef saying how he delighted in killing her father, who in his dialogue suggests he clearly once envied. It'd give us a chance to hear from Gharnef himself what he though of Miloah and maybe how he killed him.

• Marth has a conversation where Gharnef mocks him for being eager to fight, but foolish since he cannot defeat him. Marth then admits it is true, he is no mage and lacks the talent for it and that is bothers him he cannot slay his accursed foe, but he will bear the brunt of his vile powers, if it be necessary for his allies to succeed in their shared duty.

• Hardin gets a conversation where Gharnef peers into his heart and sees worry, anxiety, desire, strong desire, a little bit of hatred, and some envy? Oh ho ho, what a beast the Coyote is on the inside! Hardin shakes off this tellingly true peering with some hesitant words, but then recollects his fearless face and says he will fight on for his great cause/comrades, while he distracts him, they shall do as they must (so it’s like Marth’s convo; the worry and envy is all about love obviously).

• Maria is just her being creeped out by Gharnef. Gharnef says he has long sought her- but Michalis got in the way. Maria responds with her innocent little girl courage mustered up that she will defeat him.

• Lena’s is similar to Maria's, but she is less afraid and more willing to, if not fight (she is willing to fight him, I’m just saying her word choice doesn’t make it explicitly fighting, more sacrificial but not necessary fatal in language), at least be a support for her comrades. Gharnef responds though she be not of royal blood, he has heard much of her; to see her in person, why she is even more promising than he imagined she would be!

• Tiki gets dialogue where she is scared by Gharnef, who threatens to kidnap and brainwash her again. Maybe Gharnef can make it a little clearer what he insidiously had planned for Tiki.

• Minerva is much like Marth and Hardin in that she admits she cannot defeat Gharnef, only hold him off for others. Gharnef comments she may be of royal blood, but her soul is too tainted with impurities to be of much use. Though perhaps once made to heel he can purify her and bring her into his service. 

• Caeda is like the other three non-magic users, and while Gharnef says she of young backwater royal blood, she nonetheless shows potential.

Some other parts of my writing I feel like offering are these:

Hide contents

This is from Chapter 18, taking place after you choose to begin the battle (after finishing with the preparations screen), but before the fighting actually starts.:

• Turning to the boss, he exchanges words with a present Lorenz. The boss beseeches Lorenz to stay here, under his leadership they shall be able to defeat the Archanean League. Lorenz then says that is doubtful, the Sable Order is powerful, but its numbers are too few versus the ever growing League. The boss then asks why they are here then, and Lorenz replies it is to do as King Ludwik asks. Grust is to attack the League and defend Chiasmir at any cost. Even if they cannot win, they must do their duty as loyal soldiers of His Majesty. If we can kill the right individuals or inflict a significant enough wound, perhaps time will be bought before Grust is invaded. The boss then comments that Medeus is allowing the Sable Order to leave Grust, our dire straits is overriding the Emperor’s paranoia and distrust towards humanity. If only Dolhr had permitted us to take to the field much earlier! We could have defeated Aurelis, brought the Emperor Nyna, and beheaded that Altean Prince long ago. Lorenz says what he says is very true, but speak not those words again, they will be the end of you, if you should survive today. The boss says he will give it his all, wishes godspeed to Lorenz and health to General Camus and His Majesty. Lorenz then departs and the battle begins.

And this is from after the battle of Chapter 21, the Macedon clash before fighting Michalis:

• After the battle, the Gotoh dialogue is untouched. New to things is Minerva speaking before Gotoh pops in. Why in all of Archanea does her brother insist on fighting to the end? If he could see the meaningless of this he would clear the way for us to invade Dolhr and I’d let him keep the crown! Marth asks what it is like living next to Dolhr. Minerva says that before Medeus returned it wasn’t that bad. Dolhr largely kept to itself, it decried our use of wyverns as insulting, but it otherwise was just a strange, shut-in neighbor who meant us neither harm nor good. Macedon never cared for Dolhr, but it wasn’t worth it to destroy or conquer it. The infuriated Manakete would once in a while threaten a Macedon border village, or the hunt to capture feral wyverns would cross the border carelessly, but that was as far as hostilities went. Even after Medeus returned and her brother bowed to him, things remained much the same, some tribute, acknowledgement of the superiority of dragonkind, submission to Dolhr, and the dismantling of border fortresses erected precisely in case of Dolhrian aggression. But that was it, no invasion, no tyranny; either Dolhr didn’t care about conquering Macedon, or maybe Michalis kept such demands at bay. She does not know.

With how much you love the Tellius series, I can get why you would have some of the best things that the Tellius series had brought over. I always did feel the Boss Conversations in there were the best among the franchise.

Spoiler

Vs. Jiol:

Spoiler
  • Marth: With that one, I would like if Jiol also claims that Marth doesn't truly want to listen to Jiol's reasons, but just wants revenge for betraying Altea and his father. Marth admits that he cannot forget his hatred for Jiol and Gra for their betrayal, and even mentions one of his knights had to sacrifice himself to save Marth from Jiol. However, Marth wants to still talk, to still believe that there can be peace between the two nations, and for the sake of the people of their nations, he doesn't want their conflict to be resolved with bloodshed. Jiol would then claim that Marth is too weak to be a ruler, and he's nothing like his father. However, at his death quote, if Marth is the one to defeat him, Jiol sees that Marth might not be like his father, but there's a strength that he feels in Marth, and had Marth's father had been like Marth, things might have been different. I'm drawing some inspiration from the manga into this.
  • You could add some others as well. Like Cain, in that he wants nothing more than to kill Jiol, since Cain was a survivor of Marth's father's battle, and was there when Gra betrayed them, and Jiol saying that Cain was the coward that ran away, and Jiol would gladly end Cain's miserable life to send him off to be with Cornelius. 
  • Jagen could also have one as well, in how he knew Jiol back then, and how he always did feel that Jiol was weak to be a king, and now he understands how pathetic Jiol had become. Jiol barks back in saying that Jagen is nothing but a senile dog that obeyed Cornelius without question and was too weak to even fight by Cornelius' side back then, which Jagen replies that he does regret not being by his lord's side, but he shall make up for it by claiming Jiol's head. 
  • Could also add Caeda and Abel in there as well. Abel in how though he had no connection to Jiol or the battle where Gra betrayed them, he is still ashamed that Gra would stoop so low, and how he remembers how despite how a few years passed, his friend Cain still has nightmares from that event, along with Marth. So for his friend, and for his lord Marth, he will bring Jiol to justice.
  • Caeda can also remark by how it pains her that Jiol would actually betray Altea like he had, and how she remembers how much Marth had suffered that day he ran from home, and if defeating Jiol would help Marth, then she will do so without hesitation. 
  • For some goofs, add Palla and Catria, in how the two Whitewings that were supposed to help him ended up betraying him. 

Vs. Camus:

Spoiler
  • Lorenz: I actually like the addition that Lorenz and Ludwik were friends, and Camus makes a request that even if Grust should fall, Lorenz being part of gaining favor would be good, and adds to the tragedy in how Lorenz fails and dies with Lang being in charge. 
  • Jake: He is a bit weird and out of place, given that they share no personal connection, nor does Jake even matter to the plot at all, but you know what? It's still neat in how both hold someone they love dear to their hearts. The Tellius series did have these kinds of characters too. 
  • Roger: Ah, Roger. Poor Roger. The first hopeless guy in romance. The archetype of failed Cassanovas. But him having a bit of a connection with Camus is also neat, in that Roger would hold Camus in high regard. But could also mention how Roger feels terrified, but he said that he is fighting for what he believes in: Love. He could also ask if Camus believes in love, and Camus responds that love is what has made him push himself this far.
  • Beck: Trying to get a shot, but Camus noticing and being ready to counter is a neat one too. Though I doubt that they would actually converse, but instead they just talk to themselves.
  • Lena: Really flawless. Lena has always admired Camus, so their conversation and Camus' response works perfectly.
  • Hardin: Ah, the love rivals. However, Hardin doesn't know about Nyna's relation to Camus, but perhaps he might have learned that Camus was the one that saved Nyna. But he can understand why Camus would not betray his nation, as saving Nyna wasn't betraying Grust, but Dolhr. However, I do think that the desire to fight the mighty Camus would make Hardin want to have a good fight, and Camus throwing the quip about making the mighty "Coyote" his pelt is rather funny in the pun.
  • Minerva: Maybe change a bit in that, in how Camus had met with Michalis, and Michalis always spoke of how Camus' strength interested him. Camus states that though Michalis never said it out loud, Camus could see it in his eyes, a vision farther into the future, one where he would topple Dolhr and rule over the continent himself, and how he always felt that Michalis desired Camus' strength for that. However, though Camus held immense respect for Michalis as well, his loyalty was towards Grust. Minerva counters that a man that would kill his own father and be manipulated by his own ambitions would never create a happy future for their people. Camus says that perhaps that could be true, but neither of us holds the kind of vision he has, that has the power to lead others. Minerva says that talk is enough, and says it is time for Camus' Gradivus to meet Minerva's Hauteluclere, since the latter is said to rival the might of the Three Regalia.
  • Marth: I like the conversation, though I think Marth would still plead for Camus to stop this, as there is still time, for Nyna's sake. However, Camus responds that there is no need for that, for he believes that with the support of Marth and the others, and the strength Nyna holds, he believes that Nyna can find happiness.
  • I would actually personally add Caeda into the fight with Camus as well, in how she can see how Camus looks so sad in his eyes, and Camus remarks that it matters now what Caeda sees, for Camus' heart shall not betray his motherland. Caeda replies that she understands, and says that it pains her nonetheless to know that a good man like Camus must fight on the wrong side of the enemy, but because he stood in Marth's way, Caeda shall show no mercy. Camus replies that he sees a powerful resolve in her eyes, and says that such a fine warrior like her shall be a worthy foe to fell with his Gradivus.
  • Would be neat if Tiki could also converse, in how Tiki says that for Marth, who saved her from solitude and the horrible nightmares, she will fight hard for him, but at the same time, she can tell that Camus is a good person, and she would not want to fight him. Camus says that he would not want to fight against her, but understands that she is a powerful dragon, though warns her that even if she is a dragon, he has slain a dragon as well, and he shall not lose even if she were to fight against him. 
Spoiler
  • Minerva: Yeah, most of it doesn't need many changes. After all, they do not need to speak many words, just know where they stand.
  • Maria: Absolutely love that mechanic as well. Michalis would never hurt Maria, as he truly loves her too much, being the only person that moved Michalis' heart and made him cry. Actually, I think similar to Sanaki and Lehran, Maria would never want to hurt Michalis either, but insist on trying to talk sense into him. 
  • Lena: Actually, I might change that in that he desires Lena by his side, but seeing how she would stand up to him, to a king, it makes him see that she has a great strength that he cannot help but admire. In Heroes, since Michalis is voiced by David Vincent, I cannot help but almost picture him being similar to Gilgamesh from Fate, and how Gilgamesh desired Saber. Though no mention of "stuff so much down your throat that you look pregnant" remark. But rather, a woman like her standing up a king like him, showed so much strength that made her so beautiful in his eyes. And if he's defeated, he remarks that the most beautiful things are those that he cannot have. Similar to Maria, he doesn't attack her, but she can attack him. Lena could also show some remorse in that she did care for Michalis, but her heart desires freedom from her status and be her own person. So though she doesn't love him, she did feel he was a man that wanted the best for others.
  • Caeda: Not a bad one, but I doubt Michalis would dismiss the Whitewings off as mere handmaids. I don't think he truly sees them as weak and does understand how the Pegasi were agile, but I think he would say that even then, she would not be able to strike him down from the sky, regardless of her speed.
  • Whitewings: Same. Nothing much to add.
  • Hardin: More desire to fight strong opponents and quips in the beginning. Nice. However, the dialogue about how Hardin says that Camus was stronger than them both, and Michalis said that that might be true, but mentions that a man that would bend their knee to a weak king would never be able to defeat him (Michalis), is a very neat one. 
  • Marth: Though I do like the idea you have, I think you can go a bit more about how the two are foils. Michalis is the first Ashnard after all, in that he wants to have a world where strength is what matters most, and how he cannot tolerate weakness. To be weak means to allow others to take advantage of you, just as how Michalis' own father had been taken advantage of by Archanea. Marth believes that everyone has a place in the world, and one should not believe that strength is all it takes, as everyone's hearts being united as one will pave the path to true peace. Michalis claims that Marth is a naive child if he believes a world would truly last like that, as there would always be people that would take advantage of Marth's weakness. Before Marth can reply, Michalis says enough talk and declares the victor of their fight would determine who was right. 
  • You could add one hilarious thing where Matthis is also able to get a conversation, and how he's terrified of Michalis and wants to run away. Michalis is disgusted by this and wonders how a beautiful and strong woman like Lena had such a gutless coward of a brother and says that he will do Lena a favor and end Matthis right there.

Vs. Gharnef:

Spoiler
  • Merric: Seems about right. Could also remark about how not even the mighty Excalibur would be able to defeat the might of his Imhullu. Could also hint at how Merric is a weak mage and how even being given a tome like Excalibur was wrong, hinting at how Arlen nearly became just like Gharnef. 
  • Wendell: That works well. Wendell himself isn't that interesting, so can't really show much beyond that. Though maybe also remark that Wendell is just as foolish as Gotoh, perhaps saying that Wendell should have never given Excalibur to Merric, and Wendell is sort of unnerved and worries that Arlen might hold resentment for that. But Wendell assures Gharnef that there would be no mistakes, and his students would be stronger than Gharnef ever has been.
  • Linde: Could help if we get an understanding in how Gharnef hates everything Miloah stands for, and how he expresses how Gotoh was a fool for ever handing Aura to Miloah, when Gharnef was better. Since Gharnef has been overwhelmed by hatred and envy, he might end up spouting some long-time resentment, and then claim that even Linde is more pathetic in how she cannot even compare to her fool of a father, and that she hasn't truly unleashed the full destructive power of Aura, as a way of hinting that Aura is incredibly powerful that if used truly as a weapon, it can destroy a LOT, even to the point of destroying armies. This is to go with how Kaga stated that Aura is just like the Jugdral Holy Weapon, and how those weapons make one a one-person army.
  • Marth: Nothing to change, since it is true. However, also add how no matter what happens, Gharnef will never be able to win against them, as a man whose heart is ruled by evil can never hope to truly prevail, which actually annoys Gharnef in how he will enjoy breaking Marth's spirit. Perhaps also mention that Marth is just a hypocrite. 
  • Hardin: It is revealed that Hardin did hold envy towards Marth despite how it was Hardin to let Marth lead the Archanean League. But Gharnef seeing that and wanting to prey on it would work in favor of Gharnef does end up manipulating Hardin in the end. Maybe Gharnef even questions how long Hardin can hide the true ugliness of his own heart.
  • Maria: That works, since Maria is also a royal that is capable of wielding the Aum Staff, so it makes sense that Gharnef would want her. And perhaps she was the first one he wanted, but Michalis ensured that he didn't get her. So Gharnef went for Elice instead. Perhaps. Not entirely sure. Either way. this works well.
  • Lena: Nothing to change here. It works perfectly well. 
  • Tiki: Poor Tiki. She would no doubt have nightmares about her. Perhaps Tiki can say that Gharnef is the reason she has those dreams of turning into a monster to hurt her friends, but Gharnef replies that those weren't dreams, but visions of what was to come, and say that Tiki's destiny is to become a monster. Tiki is horrified and says that it can't be true and demands that Gharnef stop talking, but Gharnef only laughs at this, saying that for a dragon of the strongest race, she is pathetic.
  • Minerva: That would be interesting, but add in how Minerva demand if it was true that Gharnef was the reason that Michalis murdered their father, and Gharnef laughs at that and says that Michalis was weak. He didn't even need to use any spells, and that a simple rumor was enough to spur Michalis on. Minerva is outraged and claims that Gharnef was lying, and he will pay for making her fight her own brother. 
  • Caeda: Can't say there's anything to change there.

Others:

Spoiler

Chapter 18: That makes sense. Talking strategy and how they could have won had they just attacked when they had the chance, but Lorenz knows that this is due to Camus letting Nyna go and thus the short leash prevented them from achieving the victory they would have otherwise gotten. And some Grustians possibly also showing discontent about Dolhr might also be neat, but Lorenz warns against such talk for their safety, and the safety of the twins. 

Chapter 21: The Gotoh conversation with Michalis happens in chapter 22, not 21. Chapter 21 is where they start the invasion of Macedon and Minerva does speak to Marth about how she's resolved to fight her own people for the sake of correcting the mistake. But this could also go to show that Michalis was truly powerful enough to ward off Dolhr from trying to invade it, though it could also be in how Medeus cannot leave his castle. 

19 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Chapter 21: The Gotoh conversation with Michalis happens in chapter 22, not 21. Chapter 21 is where they start the invasion of Macedon and Minerva does speak to Marth about how she's resolved to fight her own people for the sake of correcting the mistake.

I was referring to this:

Gotoh:
“…Prince Marth…”

Marth:
“That voice! Lord Gotoh, is that you?”

Gotoh:
“I see you have made it to Medon. You will find me in a village north of the Medon aerie, their castle. If you possess the Lightsphere and Starsphere, have them in hand when you visit me here. …Ah, yes. I also have good news. Your sister Elice is unharmed.”

Marth:
“What?! You are certain? Where is she now?”

Gotoh:
“Thabes, city of illusion. Gharnef took her with him when he fled. I pray you rescue her soon.”

Marth:
“I will!”

Gotoh:
“But first, bring me the two orbs. Without Starlight’s mighty blast, Gharnef will only add your life to the list of things he has taken from you.”

And thanks for the criticisms!:): Good to here what others would try or how they'd improve on things. You might have the better idea for Marth vs. Jiol actually. I just chose to emphasize how it seems Gra has nothing of strength or prestige in Archanea, I wish we knew why it was so weak. And you're right Jiol should have more, give him everyone from Chapter 1 save maybe Caeda and certainly Wrys, to make him the personal enemy of all Alteans. Would be worth hearing what Gordin would have to say of Jiol, just because you wouldn't expect anything to come of him.

I also forgot at the time the Gharnef manipulated Michalis thing, Minerva should totally press that point.

My choice of including Jake, Beck, and Roger vs. Camus was because they're all Grustian natives. Roger in particular would give the player a sense how ordinary Grustians feel about Camus, since Roger is a common soldier from the country, who for all we know on the day he deployed for Archanea could have ceremonially en masse marched past Camus sitting statue-like on his steed as he wished his countrymen good fortune aboard. The sight of Camus in his militant majesty, even if not on an intimate basis, and if from yards away, would nonetheless be something a soldier would fondly remember for all their ordinary life. Matthis for Michalis could, besides being comedic (and RD to bring it up did leave room for joke convos in the Tower with Astrid vs. Lekain (partly a joke, partly her serious desire to be free) and all of Oliver's), perhaps do the same thing.

My choice of having Hardin acknowledge Camus as superior was to give him a sense of humility, that despite embracing his Coyote title and the semi-mythic reputation it has built him, at the end of the day he will admit who is better than him. This is in spite of the fact that Hardin wishes he could be better than Camus, and that he could win Nyna's heart from him, and it too is tacit acceptance that Marth is a greater man too.

I guess I ended up liking Lorenz, and since Camus can't leave Grust (save that one secret Gra village visit), I needed someone to stand in for Grust on several occasions, and Lorenz fit the bill. I did add a brief tie-in to Mystery moment later, when Lorenz, if alive, says the young Prince and Princess of Grust have been found after the Thabes showdown with Gharnef. According to Mystery, Gharnef held the Grustian royal children hostage in Khadein- but I found this faulty since Khadein is liberated before Grust is invaded, and hence the twins should have been found already. It wouldn't be out of character for Gharnef to say the twins were in Khadein, only to have moved them later to the more secure Thabes, so I tweaked it to fix a small plot issue. Although one of the free DLC episodes in New Mystery suggests the ruins around Khadein weren't all under control, and hence one could imagine Gharnef hid them there.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was referring to this:

Gotoh:
“…Prince Marth…”

Marth:
“That voice! Lord Gotoh, is that you?”

Gotoh:
“I see you have made it to Medon. You will find me in a village north of the Medon aerie, their castle. If you possess the Lightsphere and Starsphere, have them in hand when you visit me here. …Ah, yes. I also have good news. Your sister Elice is unharmed.”

Marth:
“What?! You are certain? Where is she now?”

Gotoh:
“Thabes, city of illusion. Gharnef took her with him when he fled. I pray you rescue her soon.”

Marth:
“I will!”

Gotoh:
“But first, bring me the two orbs. Without Starlight’s mighty blast, Gharnef will only add your life to the list of things he has taken from you.”

Ah, gotcha.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And thanks for the criticisms!:): Good to here what others would try or how they'd improve on things. You might have the better idea for Marth vs. Jiol actually. I just chose to emphasize how it seems Gra has nothing of strength or prestige in Archanea, I wish we knew why it was so weak. And you're right Jiol should have more, give him everyone from Chapter 1 save maybe Caeda and certainly Wrys, to make him the personal enemy of all Alteans. Would be worth hearing what Gordin would have to say of Jiol, just because you wouldn't expect anything to come of him.

Glad you like the Marth Jiol thing. I feel this can show a bit more about how Marth is still human and isn't strictly impervious to his emotions. Him not being able to let go of his hatred, and how he really wants to kill Jiol for everything he had done, but then we can see that Marth can see past his hatred and understand that bloodshed would only lead to more bloodshed. Gordin is interesting, and hard to understand what he could say. 

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I also forgot at the time the Gharnef manipulated Michalis thing, Minerva should totally press that point.

Mhm. Minerva even says to Michalis in New Mystery that Michalis was manipulated by Gharnef, but Michalis waves her off. 

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My choice of including Jake, Beck, and Roger vs. Camus was because they're all Grustian natives. Roger in particular would give the player a sense how ordinary Grustians feel about Camus, since Roger is a common soldier from the country, who for all we know on the day he deployed for Archanea could have ceremonially en masse marched past Camus sitting statue-like on his steed as he wished his countrymen good fortune aboard. The sight of Camus in his militant majesty, even if not on an intimate basis, and if from yards away, would nonetheless be something a soldier would fondly remember for all their ordinary life. Matthis for Michalis could, besides being comedic (and RD to bring it up did leave room for joke convos in the Tower with Astrid vs. Lekain (partly a joke, partly her serious desire to be free) and all of Oliver's), perhaps do the same thing.

To ordinary Grustians, Camus might seem like a god to them, a warrior that is invincible. So getting an ordinary knight speaking to the greatest knight feels like an honor that cannot be topped. Though Jake and Beck don't see the same as Roger. 

I mean, there's also Ashnard vs Naesala, where it's played a bit comedically.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My choice of having Hardin acknowledge Camus as superior was to give him a sense of humility, that despite embracing his Coyote title and the semi-mythic reputation it has built him, at the end of the day he will admit who is better than him. This is in spite of the fact that Hardin wishes he could be better than Camus, and that he could win Nyna's heart from him, and it too is tacit acceptance that Marth is a greater man too.

As I said, I don't think that Hardin knew Nyna's feelings towards Camus. But it would be neat if that happened where Hardin at least was aware, it would be neat if in New Mystery, Hardin could actually put two and two together in his grief, thinking that Nyna was in love with Camus. Oh man, Hardin vs Sirius, eh? 

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I guess I ended up liking Lorenz, and since Camus can't leave Grust (save that one secret Gra village visit), I needed someone to stand in for Grust on several occasions, and Lorenz fit the bill. I did add a brief tie-in to Mystery moment later, when Lorenz, if alive, says the young Prince and Princess of Grust have been found after the Thabes showdown with Gharnef. According to Mystery, Gharnef held the Grustian royal children hostage in Khadein- but I found this faulty since Khadein is liberated before Grust is invaded, and hence the twins should have been found already. It wouldn't be out of character for Gharnef to say the twins were in Khadein, only to have moved them later to the more secure Thabes, so I tweaked it to fix a small plot issue. Although one of the free DLC episodes in New Mystery suggests the ruins around Khadein weren't all under control, and hence one could imagine Gharnef hid them there.

Lorenz is a great character and really tragic. He had such humorous conversations with Marth and Caeda when they met. And the point that Lorenz made about Caeda being quite the manipulative girl in the past is really hilarious. XD

But Lorenz can represent the other side of the war, the good side that exists in the enemy nations. He's basically who we get in exchange for not getting Camus, like how we get Minerva from Macedon. 

It's a shame that no one from Dolhr itself came to our side. Could have helped in giving more depth about the story of why Medeus hates humans, as a Dolhr Manakete could express how they were persecuted by humans and Marth can understand them as well.

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

As I said, I don't think that Hardin knew Nyna's feelings towards Camus.

My mistake then. It could still allow Hardin to suffer after his marriage to Nyna, in the sense he goes in hopeful he can ease Nyna's heavy heart and get her to console in him. He already had once been her hopeful knight in shining armor after Camus brought Nyna to him, at least on the surface. But I'll admit my mistake.

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

it would be neat if in New Mystery, Hardin could actually put two and two together in his grief, thinking that Nyna was in love with Camus. Oh man, Hardin vs Sirius, eh?

Now you're making me wish they had a boss convo, that would be amazing! Seriously, why didn't they give them one? And if they could do it without degrading the quality of the serious conversation, some reference to Gradivus (not necessarily by name) would be cool- given Camus once used it and now Hardin has it.

Hardin, to go whole hog, would also be wanting to see Wolf one last time (and vice versa), and maybe the rest of the Wolfguard. Astram and Jeorge would good, having once served him and armed with the other Regalia. Linde, having been at a court, and as a mage, would speak of him being controlled by the Darksphere and making a little merciful demand he drop it. Given Dolph's character ending, where he is stated to have left the Archanean knights because he disapproved of Hardin becoming Emperor, he should have a word too. Tomas and Macellan? I don't know.

One other idea I had considered, just to toss this is here, was for the Port Warren chapter, a rather melodramatic, perhaps WAY TOO MUCH series of changes to it.

Although Shadow Dragon is a serious game first and foremost, I tried to interject a casual, but not silly, moment here. When Marth and co. first reach the port as part of their journey to liberate Archanea, the town is peaceful and free of occupation. Without Dolhr or its servant states in sight, Hardin offers to relieve Marth of his duties for the moment and take care with Malledus all the re-provisioning and whatnot. Marth hesitantly accepts this, and then goes and joins Nyna and Caeda. Nyna is welcomed with ceremony by the port, and assigned two armed guides Caesar and Radd, she with Caeda and Marth take a tour of the town and enjoy the locals' hospitality. The intent here was to give Nyna a moment where she wasn't somber, where she could find a grain of happiness in a world where there is little for her to smile about. Maybe Marth could be left out of it, and it just be a girls' moment between her and Caeda- I went back and forth on this.

-Then comes word that Grust is coming in hordes and Marth has to snap out of this tranquil moment. The forces are such they must immediately make a temporary retreat on the high seas before the main force arrives. Marth tries to keep it together, but he is clearly perturbed underneath it all. Why? Well after the "battle", when Marth boards the ship, and Hardin in an act of bravado and selflessness, opts to stay until all others who can be safely evacuated are (say 70-90% of the Archanean forces, some loss, but not too much), the answer is revealed. Marth has a, I won't say nervous breakdown, that is too strong a phrase and treats him poorly, but it brings back some memories that leave him ill with glum. Think of it like this- being forced to abandon, by boat, a people who had treated you well and considered your their hope. Am I talking about my take on Port Warren, or SD's Prologue? Of course, everyone else tries to console Marth, and keep the future and hopes of returning to the Archanean continent in mind.

Lorenz briefly got an appearance at the start of the next chapter. Arriving at Port Warren after the dust is settled and Archanea has fled, he commends Archanea for such a successful retreat. He means to take head to the harbor and pursue as soon as possible, but then a soldier tells him Dolhr has other plans- to vanquish Aurelis, thus leading Lorenz to leave. But before he does, he utters something to the effect of "Mostyn my friend, you're safe for now.", just a wink wink at Caeda being able to recruit him much later.

And then to touch on Pyrathi, why does Malledus say they must go to Pyrathi, when friendly Talys is another option? I invented a simple reason- the winds aren't blowing the right way for Talys. And to back this, the ships, having to set sail at a moment's notice, aren't loaded with provisions, so they can't quite afford without favorable winds to return to Talys.

As for Mannu himself, why does Pyrathi have a Manakete king? I chose to explain it via three little blurbs. In the pre-battle ensemble dialogue, Bantu says Mannu founded the kingdom and was interested in humans, but he knows nothing else. When some of the permanent fixtures of the plot say Pyrathi is isolated, Ogma if alive, being a former Pyrathian, would say the kingdom isn't wholly isolated and that the king is a recluse, who hasn't been seen in public in years. And then once Mannu is dead, after the battle, a generic Pyrathian would Mannu has ruled the kingdom ever since its founding, and that he was once kind and wise, but everyone alive only as cloistered and not quite sane. And yet through a combination of fear of being dragged to the castle and never seen again, and the enduring loving image of the former Mannu, nobody dared question his reign. Why the decline in the mind? The simple, unstated, answer- degeneration.

Lastly of my writing ideas to be described here. You know how Minerva sends someone to tell Marth she wants their help and is willing to defect? Who is the messenger? Catria! I'd want them to add just a pinch of a hint of unrequited love at the first sight.

The narration for Chapter 10: Princess Minerva, says "Some insisted her plea was a ruse, a trap concocted by Princess Minerva herself." I decided to put Malledus in this "some", and have Hardin disagree with him, on the grounds of the impression he got of her in that Archanean Chronicles battle where they fought together to reference that, I couldn't help myself.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now you're making me wish they had a boss convo, that would be amazing! Seriously, why didn't they give them one? And if they could do it without degrading the quality of the serious conversation, some reference to Gradivus (not necessarily by name) would be cool- given Camus once used it and now Hardin has it.

Hardin, to go whole hog, would also be wanting to see Wolf one last time (and vice versa), and maybe the rest of the Wolfguard. Astram and Jeorge would good, having once served him and armed with the other Regalia. Linde, having been at a court, and as a mage, would speak of him being controlled by the Darksphere and making a little merciful demand he drop it. Given Dolph's character ending, where he is stated to have left the Archanean knights because he disapproved of Hardin becoming Emperor, he should have a word too. Tomas and Macellan? I don't know.

Wolf is hit the hardest with Hardin's death, as his ending even states that Wolf is basically just seeking to die at that point. He clearly admired Hardin a great deal, being his most loyal friend and partner. So imagine the conversation where Wolf has to fight Hardin. I think this would be the case where Hardin WILL attack, but Wolf won't. 

Though Heroes indicates that Hardin hasn't truly forgotten himself. Hardin is basically like the Medallion-enhanced Ashnard. He is corrupted and turned evil (more evil with Ashnard), but he hasn't lost his will. He rather just developed a warped sense of view of the world. 

And Sirius facing Hardin wielding Gradivus would be neat.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although Shadow Dragon is a serious game first and foremost, I tried to interject a casual, but not silly, moment here. When Marth and co. first reach the port as part of their journey to liberate Archanea, the town is peaceful and free of occupation. Without Dolhr or its servant states in sight, Hardin offers to relieve Marth of his duties for the moment and take care with Malledus all the re-provisioning and whatnot. Marth hesitantly accepts this, and then goes and joins Nyna and Caeda. Nyna is welcomed with ceremony by the port, and assigned two armed guides Caesar and Radd, she with Caeda and Marth take a tour of the town and enjoy the locals' hospitality. The intent here was to give Nyna a moment where she wasn't somber, where she could find a grain of happiness in a world where there is little for her to smile about. Maybe Marth could be left out of it, and it just be a girls' moment between her and Caeda- I went back and forth on this.

Having a moment's intervention is not bad at all. Give a little R&R and have characters get to relax. Nyna and Caeda developing a friendship works for me as well because of how it was stated that Nyna chose Hardin as her husband instead of Marth to prevent Marth and Caeda from being apart. In fact, a little theory of mine that I think could be true is that the reason Marth never returned his feelings for Caeda throughout Shadow Dragon, despite how he indicates that he is aware of it at the end of the game, is because Marth is well aware that there's a high chance Marth might be forced to wed Nyna, since Marth is a prince. And him marrying Nyna would bring a great stability to their nations. Even if Marth loves Caeda, Marth puts his responsibility as a prince above his own personal happiness. 

But Nyna, having been forced to lose the man she loved, would not want to separate Marth from the one he loved. So she chose Hardin. 

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Then comes word that Grust is coming in hordes and Marth has to snap out of this tranquil moment. The forces are such they must immediately make a temporary retreat on the high seas before the main force arrives. Marth tries to keep it together, but he is clearly perturbed underneath it all. Why? Well after the "battle", when Marth boards the ship, and Hardin in an act of bravado and selflessness, opts to stay until all others who can be safely evacuated are (say 70-90% of the Archanean forces, some loss, but not too much), the answer is revealed. Marth has a, I won't say nervous breakdown, that is too strong a phrase and treats him poorly, but it brings back some memories that leave him ill with glum. Think of it like this- being forced to abandon, by boat, a people who had treated you well and considered your their hope. Am I talking about my take on Port Warren, or SD's Prologue? Of course, everyone else tries to console Marth, and keep the future and hopes of returning to the Archanean continent in mind.

Oh, definitely not a nervous breakdown. But just a pained reaction at the memories, but he would persevere through them. Basically a case of reliving history. And having the enemy be able to launch an attack that forces Marth and the others to fall back and retreat makes sense, as despite us winning the fight, Malladus says we need to retreat. 

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lorenz briefly got an appearance at the start of the next chapter. Arriving at Port Warren after the dust is settled and Archanea has fled, he commends Archanea for such a successful retreat. He means to take head to the harbor and pursue as soon as possible, but then a soldier tells him Dolhr has other plans- to vanquish Aurelis, thus leading Lorenz to leave. But before he does, he utters something to the effect of "Mostyn my friend, you're safe for now.", just a wink wink at Caeda being able to recruit him much later.

This is a neat bit of info, a way of showing the progress of the war, and it isn't just Marth's forces that are the worry, as there are others to deal with. That is how wars work after all.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And then to touch on Pyrathi, why does Malledus say they must go to Pyrathi, when friendly Talys is another option? I invented a simple reason- the winds aren't blowing the right way for Talys. And to back this, the ships, having to set sail at a moment's notice, aren't loaded with provisions, so they can't quite afford without favorable winds to return to Talys.

I actually had to take a look at videos from Chapter 2, Chapter 8, and Chapter 9 to be sure, and they actually DID feel like they could have gone to Talys, but for some reason went south for Pyrathi instead. So having to set sail to Pyrathi because of the winds makes perfect sense, given that they are running sailboats, rather than motor ones. 

37 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for Mannu himself, why does Pyrathi have a Manakete king? I chose to explain it via three little blurbs. In the pre-battle ensemble dialogue, Bantu says Mannu founded the kingdom and was interested in humans, but he knows nothing else. When some of the permanent fixtures of the plot say Pyrathi is isolated, Ogma if alive, being a former Pyrathian, would say the kingdom isn't wholly isolated and that the king is a recluse, who hasn't been seen in public in years. And then once Mannu is dead, after the battle, a generic Pyrathian would Mannu has ruled the kingdom ever since its founding, and that he was once kind and wise, but everyone alive only as cloistered and not quite sane. And yet through a combination of fear of being dragged to the castle and never seen again, and the enduring loving image of the former Mannu, nobody dared question his reign. Why the decline in the mind? The simple, unstated, answer- degeneration.

It does feel like a place where some worldbuilding was never done. The entire place is basically covered with many ruins, and Mannu even states that the place is "hallowed grounds". Hell, I totally forgot that this was the place Bantu was and lost his dragonstone in that a simple man found and took back home with him. Or the fact that Ogma was born there. Ogma has a really tragic story, having a father was executed, a mother that died protecting him, and then being forced to be a gladiator and then after helping Samuel escape the place, he was tortured repeatedly until Caeda saved him. 

Mannu as well would be interesting in that he would be a Manakete that isn't sided with Dolhr and doesn't truly hate all humans. Him being told that he was once a great person, but then started to change as time went on, it was sad, but people want to lay Mannu to rest in a more proper burial, as a way of respect. 

Still wish that some persecution of dragons would be understood so that it gives credence to Medeus' reasons for war.

42 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lastly of my writing ideas to be described here. You know how Minerva sends someone to tell Marth she wants their help and is willing to defect? Who is the messenger? Catria! I'd want them to add just a pinch of a hint of unrequited love at the first sight.

Ah, like it in that it allows Catria and Marth to meet where Catria develops feelings for him. And love at first sight, huh? Why is that allowed, but not 4 convo=love? XD

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The narration for Chapter 10: Princess Minerva, says "Some insisted her plea was a ruse, a trap concocted by Princess Minerva herself." I decided to put Malledus in this "some", and have Hardin disagree with him, on the grounds of the impression he got of her in that Archanean Chronicles battle where they fought together to reference that, I couldn't help myself.

I do feel that the older Fire Emblem games relied too much on pre-chapter exposition dumps. It helps, but sometimes it prevents the ability for characters to develop themselves. This being used for Hardin to back up Minerva as well as to also perhaps indicate that Marth and Hardin are developing a close friendship as well would be nice.