If you could go back in time and replace reps, who would you choose?

26 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

What I said in the first place is that nothing in smash represents a pre OoT Zelda. Now Zelda's redesign does. With my joke of a hashtag (which is not a substitute for an argument, it's a joke meant to encourage some research on something I find interesting)I was trying to point out there was more to it than our false translation suggested. Now you say I'm not only incorrect, but petty? Imagine a pot doing so much research before calling the kettle black.

But it's hardly a false translation; looking at the context, the Japanese itself leaves things perfectly open-- and considering that it merges both (incredibly similar) designs, it was probably meant that way. 

There; I just repeated what I said in my first post, which I can't help but notice you didn't address at all.

In addition, the video you linked cites a "comparison" image that is incredibly biased and ignores the features it carries over, with the user who put it together being a complete ass towards anybody who points things out and outright calling them delusional (in the very comments section of the video, even). It's cherrypicked nonsense that "sensationalized" a complete non-issue.

The "joke of a hashtag" is definitely what got me to call it as petty, but really the entire insistence is; with the slightest bit of context, it all falls apart. Even the absurdity of complaining over 3 Houses title change at least has something to it because at least it was an actual change.

EDIT: To not make this a complete topic derail, the only series I'd really alter are FE and Pokemon.

Pokemon: remove all Gen 1 Pokemon but Pikachu and Charizard
Add: Blaziken, Zoroark, Decidueye
For a total of: Pikachu, Charizard, Pichu, Blaziken, Lucario, Zoroark, Greninja, Decidueye

Fire Emblem: remove Chrom and Roy
Add: Ephraim (axes really aren't fundamentally different from swords animation-wise; they're both swung weapons with bladed ends), partially declone Lucina with some bow moves
For a total of: Marth, Ephraim, Ike, Robin, Corrin, unique Lucina

Edited by The DanMan

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

In addition, the video you linked cites a "comparison" image that is incredibly biased and ignores the features it carries over, with the user who put it together being a complete ass towards anybody who points things out and outright calling them delusional (in the very comments section of the video, even). It's cherrypicked nonsense that "sensationalized" a complete non-issue.

Oh, well I'm glad this person I've never met is being used as justification to come into this thread for no other reason than to call me petty. Thanks for that. 

As much as I come to detest gratuitous "well actually"s on the internet. You could have instead said "Well it depends on how you look at it. Here's another interpretation in which it's neither game but both at once." That's it. But nope it's the internet and everything has to be some contest of verbal gymnastics. Neither of us are wrong. But you just can't help being the only person right. Go ahead, get the last word in. I have no reason to read that notification.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:16 AM, Etheus said:

Assume that the game is fully trusted to succeed by Nintendo at the time and resources are not a factor.

This kind of defeats the purpose of the question in the first place so I'm going to ignore it.

Corrin is the only character reveal that made me say, "Why this character and not that character?" It should have been Azura. Ideally, I would also like Lyn in place of Roy, but when Roy was added his game wasn't even out yet, much less Lyn's.

I would make Alph with rock Pikmin a separate clone in Smash 4 instead of Dark Pit.

I would like to put Diddy Kong in Melee, but not sure in place of who. Peach, maybe? Whoever it would be would debut in Brawl.

I'm not sure how plausible it would be in regards to timing, but replace Ike with Micaiah in Brawl.

Lucina -> Ephraim

Roy -> Tiki

Pichu - Plusle and Minun or Infernape

On 8/27/2018 at 12:16 PM, Etheus said:

(Removed) Corrin

(Added) Azura

Azura absolutely should have been the Fates rep. She is more iconic than Corrin and would have brought a fantastic, unique moveset.

Corrin does have a pretty unique moveset himself. I don't think anyone could really replicate his playstyle if he got removed. Also as someone else has said, that's a bit subjective as to whether or not she's more iconic.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:19 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

wii fit trainer- what other Wii fit characters are there?

Wii Board.

Edited by Arcphoenix

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

Lucina -> Ephraim

Roy -> Tiki

Pichu - Plusle and Minun or Infernape

Corrin does have a pretty unique moveset himself. I don't think anyone could really replicate his playstyle if he got removed. Also as someone else has said, that's a bit subjective as to whether or not she's more iconic.

Wii Board.

Azura is the character who takes center-stage on the cover art for the Revelations path - the canon story path with the full plot of their game. 

Azura is the first named character to be shown AND the last character shown in the game's opening cinematic. She is very literally the alpha and the omega. 

Azura is the centerpiece of the final moments in all three paths - being the subject of the final tragedy of the first two paths and taking part in the happy ending of the third.

Azura is the singer of the game's bloody theme song.

No, I don't think it's subjective. She is more iconic. It's a fact. She is very clearly intended to be more iconic. It is subjective to find another character more personally iconic than the one that the developers are intentionally pushing as the face and voice of their respective game. 

Edited by Etheus