Pokemon is now considered the biggest media franchise in the entire world! Not a joke!

Water Mage

https://gonintendo.com/stories/316775-pokemon-is-the-world-s-biggest-media-franchise-mario-takes-spot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Pokemon is now the biggest media franchise in the entire world! Even beating titans like Star Wars, Mickey and the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

I wonder if that will catch Disney’s attention and maybe will try to buy the Pokemon franchise?

7 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Holy shit.

Hello Kitty is worth more than Star Wars!

I'm more surprised that Hello Kitty is older than Star Wars.

Oh, that's interesting. Though personally, it doesn't surprise me as such as the Hello Kitty fact. I suppose now it will be quite hard to dethrone Pokémon from the #1 spot any time soon.

Games have been edging out movies in terms of profitability for a few years now, so I'm not too surprised. Add in merchandising, and it was only a matter of time that a video game franchise would take the #1 spot, and Pokemon makes the most sense.

Edited by Slumber

8 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I wonder if that will catch Disney’s attention and maybe will try to buy the Pokemon franchise?

Please no. Nothing against Disney, but I think they have WAY too many franchises that they bought...

8 hours ago, Water Mage said:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/316775-pokemon-is-the-world-s-biggest-media-franchise-mario-takes-spot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Pokemon is now the biggest media franchise in the entire world! Even beating titans like Star Wars, Mickey and the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

There’s no way Nintendo’s gonna sell something like Pokémon away 

1 minute ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

There’s no way Nintendo’s gonna sell something like Pokémon away 

Exactly. Disney doesn't do well with video games anyway last time I checked...

2 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

let's be fair, if disney bought nintendo, then that'd mean Corrin would be a disney princess.

the first siblingsexual disney princess... I can dig it.

anyways, this is unsurprising, if you ask me, it's a widely recognised series and may actually have a presence in china unlike star wars who had to outright drop the star wars name for solo just to stand a chance in the chinese box office.

47 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

let's be fair, if disney bought nintendo, then that'd mean Corrin would be a disney princess.

Amusing but still please no.

3 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I saw that at first too 

imagine it

the pokemafia 

aka team rocket

YES.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Exactly. Disney doesn't do well with video games anyway last time I checked...

They actually have some very solid games. Some better than others, of course, but a few are classics, while several others are hidden gems.

As for the main topic I... can't say I'm entirely surprised, honestly. I know more people who have played Pokemon than those who haven't, and I don't think I've ever met someone who's never heard of the series before. And having several videogames, an anime, a card game, and countless merchandise, all of which appeal to multiple age groups and are popular in their own right, all add up in the end, so it isn't that mine boggling that Pokemon won first place.

I, like many others here, was actually more surprised that Hello Kitty surpassed Star Wars. Although given the recent complaints against the new Star Wars movies, I'm starting to realize that less people know or care about the expanded universe than I originally thought...

1 minute ago, Hawkwing said:

They actually have some very solid games. Some better than others, of course, but a few are classics, while several others are hidden gems.

How did I forget about Kingdom Hearts? DERP. 

But I still don't want them to buy Nintendo.

Dread it, run from it, Disney still arrives.

Disney is the Thanos of entertainment. It's collecting all of the Infinitellectual Property Stones.

But they still can't make even a dent in video game companies. Besides, Nintendo is based in Japan, and all of Disney's targets so far were American companies.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I read this as Pokemon is now considered the biggest Mafia in the entire world.

To Don Giovanni!

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

How did I forget about Kingdom Hearts? DERP.

But Square makes them right? All Disney does is give the licensing? They certainly aren't writing the plot.

I think they made one good Mickey game for SNES that got ported to the GBA long ago, and I might have heard some good of the Aladdin game from the same era.

Just how is Hello Kitty so big?

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But Square makes them right? All Disney does is give the licensing? They certainly aren't writing the plot.

Perhaps in the early games, but I know that for at least KH III the actual people from the movies showing up are supervising and giving input and stuff.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think they made one good Mickey game for SNES that got ported to the GBA long ago, and I might have heard some good of the Aladdin game from the same era.

They *does a Google search and looks at wikipedia* ...have a lot more games than I thought they would. And I know several of them range in quality, but from the ones I recognize:

Spoiler

There's Epic Mickey and it's sequel.

Several made in the 1980's for the Atari, Game & Watch, early game computers...

Oh, Black Cauldron! I've actually watched a longplay of the game before. Hilariously, getting the best ending has you succeeding in every task where the protagonist failed in the movie, and you can even cause the Horned King to realize how evil he is, and perform a heroic sacrifice by throwing himself into the cauldron. Or you can throw yourself in there. And in the best ending, you get to keep the magic sword. And there are several ways  to die, too.

Several games in the vein of Living Books.

A kart racing game for the Nintendo 64.

Several platformers, such as Castle of Illusion, Alladin, The Lion King, and the Jungle book, among several others. I believe the reception for them is largely positive.

More minigame collections than I care to count.

Brother Bear, which I actually bought at a garage sale. It's alright. Nothing special, but it's still a fun, if simple, platformer.

The Emperors New Groove, which was made by the same company that made the original Star Fox. I don't know of the quality of the gameplay, but I do know that it keeps original films humor and fourth-wall breaking.

Treasure Planet: Battle of Proycon, a game I actually want to try because it's a pretty solid naval combat game. It also had pretty good graphics at the time of release, and even had separate battle models when a ship took damage.

Several TRON games.

Several Pirates of the Caribbean games.

Phineas and Ferb games. I've actually played the first DS one.

A sing-along game, because I'd be more surprised if Disney didn't realse one when the technology became available.

The obligatory kinect game.

Disney Infinity

Toontown and Club Penguin I dearly miss those games.

And of course, Kingdom Hearts.

And a crap ton of others that I'd be here all day if I were to go into detail.

I do know that they've had a lot of success in the mobile market. Where's my Water?, for example, was made by Disney. And I think they have good relations with the guy that made Crossy Road.

Also, Disney made a horror movie?