i'm a music nerd and want to ramble about PROG-ROCK

Re: The weirdo.

So here are some long prog rock songs that i really like

Close to the edge-by Yes

Echoes- by Pink Floyd

The Gates of Delirium-by Yes

oh and i know that Shine on You crazy Diamond (by pink floyd) exists, i just think its not actually that good a song in comparison to some other works. Its kind of poppy in its structure, especially in its lyricism. plus, its not particularly dense with musicality

now for some shorter ones

Time-by Pink floyd and yes i do in fact like pink floyd rather a lot, which i think i made a post about.

In the court of the crimson king- by (how does)King Crimson (work?)

those are all the ones i can think of right now, but i'll probably add more as like an offhand playlist for me, and i'm hoping to interact with some other music nerds for recommendations.

• Re: The weirdo. changed the title to i'm a music nerd and want to ramble about PROG-ROCK

Go further a few years, and you'd find Rush a joy to listen to as well (Moving Pictures and 2112 are good albums to start with). Early Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Queensryche also come to mind.

Are you familiar at all with Peter Gabriel-era Genesis?  That seems like it'd be right up your alley.

The Knife, The Musical Box, Watcher of the Skies, and Supper's Ready are my favorites from that time.  Though my favorite Genesis album is A Trick of the Tail, their first album with Phil Collins as lead vocalist after Gabriel left.

So I've got two things you will maybe like.

NoMeansNo,

They're a punk band with prog leanings ( they're considered progenitors of math rock by a lot of people too.) Here are a couple songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyAii6f-hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-gYIvTSpbQ

and

Godspeed You! Black Emperor. They're post rock technically. But I like them a lot. Here's my favorite album of theirs. Their songs are very long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpAwrkmzmp0

I'd also say to go listen to more King Crimson if you haven't already. Lark's tongues in aspic and Lizard specifically.

Now this is a topic I can get behind!

I'll go with A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers by Van der Graaf Generator.

I'll also add a band from my native Québec in Harmonium:

This whole prog-folk concept album, where each song is based on a season, with the last one being an instrumental masterpiece representing an hypothetical fifth season, is one of my all-time favourite. If you're to listen to only one of their songs, go with Depuis l'automne, which magnificently depicts autumn's melancholy.

Also check out their following album, L'Heptade, which is my namesake here. Great symphonic prog.

Their debut is great as well, but it's not really prog. Still, if you like folk, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. 

They were HUGE here during the seventies. Sadly, lead singer/guitarist/composer Serge Fiori had a mental breakdown (he has seemingly gotten better since, but has yet to get back on the stage, which cut their career short after only three albums. 

The French-Canadian prog scene left quite a few gems behind. The ProgQuébec label has made it its mission to recover some of those. I'll suggest you guys check Octobre, Morse Code, Maneige, Sloche, among others.

(Forgive my patriotic pride...)

You haven't heard the last of me in this great topic.

That's okay, @Heptade, although I don't think you really can mention Quebec without Voivod or Gorguts. Sure, they may be already crossing over into metal (thrash for Voivod, death for Gorguts), but them paving the way for later acts really deserves more than a passing glance.

On 28/08/2018 at 6:31 PM, Karimlan said:

That's okay, @Heptade, although I don't think you really can mention Quebec without Voivod or Gorguts. Sure, they may be already crossing over into metal (thrash for Voivod, death for Gorguts), but them paving the way for later acts really deserves more than a passing glance.

They indeed do deserve to be mentioned, though I'm a relative newcomer to metal. I have some prog metal albums (Dream Theater, Tool, Opeth, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, etc.), but I haven't yet really delved into Voivod's and Gorguts' discographies. I do remember watching an interview with Voivod's drummer on local TV, and being surprised that he happened to be a soft-spoken, intellectual proghead.

@Heptade:  Michel Langevin is awesome. I loved his work in the older stuff like Rrröööaaarrr and Killing Technology. As for Opeth, I highly recommend going through their back catalog for gems like My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, and Blackwater Park. Deliverance and Damnation are nothing short of great too.

Edited by Karimlan