Anyone else miss the European names?

Jotari

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

Not sure how you can get Seh-ee from Ced. D as ee?

Precisely. And as hung on a rack with your legs stretched, chest cavity opened, and lungs pulled too as it is, I try to say that, thinking that MUST be how it will be pronounced when the time comes and it is officially pronounced for the first time. Although whatever Heroes invents for a pronunciation I will accept. Although they don't always keep the pronunciations from the first time they're uttered, Tales of Symphonia was inconsistent with the town "Palmacosta" I think. ToS says Palm-uh-cost-uh, and DotNW says Palm-uh-coast-uh. The first game also misled me for years with how Yggdrasil is pronounced- it's youj-dra-sil, not youj-DRAS-see-ill.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Valencia is a real place too. I find it a crying shame they called in Valentia (even though that is kind of a real place too...kind of). Valencia has such a nice ring to it imo.

And Valentia makes me think of Valentines. Valencia makes me think of oranges, which is actually rather accurate, and while the actual Valencia is at the opposite end of the Mediterranean as Greece, the aesthetic inspiration for SoV, it is still on the same sea with a similar clime.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although they don't always keep the pronunciations from the first time they're uttered, Tales of Symphonia was inconsistent with the town "Palmacosta" I think. ToS says Palm-uh-cost-uh, and DotNW says Palm-uh-coast-uh. The first game also misled me for years with how Yggdrasil is pronounced- it's youj-dra-sil, not youj-DRAS-see-ill.

Its been ages but I think they are also a bit inconsistent on Kratos as well. 

Lloyd says ''Kra-tos'' while Rain says it more like ''Kraitos'' 

The Yggdrasil one might be intentional since it sounds more like an actual name and the VA's are pretty consistently in calling him ''youj-DRAS-see-ill''

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 9/2/2018 at 2:52 PM, Sweet Summer Tana said:

Which European version have changed Bern to Biran? The german one of 7 definitely had Bern.

It should be in the English language option; although I never checked the other languages.

But it only affected the dialogue--the world map was literally unchanged, which made it extra jarring.

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

It should be in the English language option; although I never checked the other languages.

But it only affected the dialogue--the world map was literally unchanged, which made it extra jarring.

I mean, I shouldn't be surprised at the change, considering all the other superfluous changes they've done before, but I am confused. Why is it okay in German, but not in English?

7 minutes ago, Sweet Summer Tana said:

I mean, I shouldn't be surprised at the change, considering all the other superfluous changes they've done before, but I am confused. Why is it okay in German, but not in English?

The German script also calls it Biran.

9 hours ago, BrightBow said:

The German script also calls it Biran.

??!?

Alright, I'm gonna get out my FE7 cartridge later and check. I'm sure I've always read Bern.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:26 AM, Slumber said:

Except "Arch" can be pronounced without the "Ch" sound, unless you're specifically referring to curved "arches". Things that are "arch" in reference to a name or a title are pronounced with the hard "K"/hard "C", like "Archbishop" or, in use of this series, "Archsage". Or DOOM's "Archvile".

And depending on the language, "Ch" never has a soft sound. For example, I don't think German(English might be the only Germanic language that uses soft "Ch" sounds) uses the "chuh" sound at all, and all instances of that come to mind "ch" are the hard "K"/hard "C" sound. Sometimes it gets soft-ish, but it sounds more like a slurred "K" sound than a "chuh".

Plus, if you were to spell it like "Arcanea", you'd get people doing the same here, where people might pronounce it with a soft "C", and it sounds more like "Ar-san-neigh-ah".

Then you get the Romance languages, where "Ch"s are even softer than in English, to the point where they're basically "Sh" noises.

Really what bothers me is the hard "neigh-ah" part.

Ah, Archbishop and Archmage might not be 100% straight examples, but Archipelago is.