Jotari's Super Fun Binding Blade Balance Patch

Jotari

I like Binding Blade. It's fun. But the early game is way too difficult and the end game is way too easy. I attempted a simple fix of this...and sort of got carried away. To summarize, I've increased the power of the weapon triangle and given additional weapon options to classes even at tier 1. The player should have more control over the flow of the game thanks to this change. Certain units have also received buffs and most classes have been given an offensive option. I've also added half a dozen new weapons and Guinevere as a playable character. Oh and weapon effectiveness has been nerfed so Idoun doesn't go down like a punk.

To not summarize, here's a full list of changes.

Gameplay Edits

Spoiler

-Effective damage has been reduced from *3 weapon might, to *2. To compensate, all Legendary weapons have been given +5 durability and all weapons that deal effective damage (including bows) have been given +3 might.
-Nomads and Troubadour lines can be inflicted with effective damage.

-Support growths have been increased by 1 for every character pair.

-Physical Triangle has been buffed to +- 20% hit

-Magic triangle has been buffed, giving a +60% hit and +10 might on WTA and -30% hit and -3 might on WTD. Given how Anima enemies are the most common, this change helps Shaman's and Druid's the most.

-All promotion items have been replaced by Master Seals which work on any class, including Roy.
--Replacing the promotion items in the Secret Shop are other items including new weapons.

-Most enemy phase reinforcements moved to player phase. Pirates, bandits and thieves are the general exceptions as they don't attack the player immediately (or even at all sometimes).

-Battle Preparations available from Chapter 3 onwards.

Character Edits

Spoiler

-New items added to the inventories either because of new weapon ranks or because they're items new to the game.

-Guinevere has been added to the main campaign, joining at the start of Chapter 14.

-Roy's bases have been boosted, +1 str, +3 skl, +1 def, +1 spd, and +5 res. His Res growth rate has also been increased to 45%
-Roy can promote with a Master Seal.
-Roy can remotely access the Supply (players can't access it from him though, for some reason).

-Gonzales is recruited at Lv 7 regardless of route.
-Bors has been given a +3 boost to skill so he actually stands a chance of hitting something in Chapter 1.
-Sophia's bases have been boosted. +2 mag, +4 skill, +1 sped, +1 def. She also has +5% growths.
-Wolt +1 pow, +1 skl, +1 spd,+2 def and +3 luk
-Fir +2 spd
-Zealot and Trek, def+2, spd + 1
-Clarine +2 mag (though really it's so she can use swords better).
-Lilina HP+3, Def+2 and +1 Spd (she needs it to survive against the more powerful bows in her recruitment chapter).
-Wendy, Str+2, Def+1, Res+4, Skl+4 HP+4, she also starts with B Rank Axes and +5% to all growths.
-Oujay +5% to all growths.
-Yodel's level reduced by 1 so you can level him up. Growths have also been doubled. He doesn't need it, but I think this might make crazy exp worried players like myself more willing to use him.

-Hugh starts with A rank anima magic.
-Juno and Dayan now have A rank swords from base.
-Oujay's sword rank boosted to C.

-Lalum can use Staves (Sprite Credit Vilkalizer)
-Elphin can use Light Magic (sprite Credit Omni)
-Merlinus can use Bows.

-The +3 might on bows should help characters like Wolt, but to stop Shin being OTT, he's received a -2 strength nerf to compensate (he'll still probably be the best bow user though).

Class Edits

Spoiler

-Knights can now use Axes and Generals can use Bows. Credit for the animations goes to the Blind Archer.
-Knights have 5 move like infantry, they do not gain move on promotion to General.
-Knights get +1 def and +2 HP to help them do their job better.

-Priests and Sisters can wield light magic at tier 1.

-All sages can wield Light Magic (so Guinevere isn't hacking the game), Druids and Shamans can use Anima magic and Bishops can use Dark Magic (which yes, I admit is a little weird). This is done because I've made the magic triangle much more important, so having more control over it is necessary.

-Troubadours and Valkyries can use Swords (this messes up the animation a bit, but generally seems to work fine).

-Thieves can promote to Rogues.

-Pegasus Knights can use Swords and Falco Knights can use Staves (animation credit ShadowOfChaos).

-Dragon Riders and Dragon Lords can use axes (animation credit The Blind Archer).

Weapon Edits

Spoiler

-Divine Stone is now 1-2 range.
-Exaccus is obtained on Zephiel's defeat. Any sword user can wield it. It has gained the dragon slaying effect.
-Al's Sword has been replaced by the Fire Sword. A Roy exclusive weapon that is two range.
-Gant's Lance has been renamed Fly Catcher and deals bonus damage to fliers.
-Guinevere gets Thani as a prf weapon.
-Glass Axe has been added as an item to encourage axe use.
-Wing Spear has been added as a Pegasus/Falcon Knight exclusive weapon.
-Firesweep Sword has been added. Works like in Heroes, ignores counter attacks.
-Long Bows can only be used by Archers and Snipers. Their durability has also been increased by 10.
-Spear crit chance removed. A)5% is more likely to screw over the player than help them, and B) Because the Tomahawk doesn't have one.
-Apocalypse has a Nosferateau effect, to balance the insane weight it has compared to Dark Mage's con.
-Hammer gets a 20% boost in hit since it's use is less niche now and 45% is too low even by Binding Blade standards.
-Luna Bow comes from Shadows of Valentia. Although this version works like the Luna tome, dropping HP to 1. It's hit is excellent, but it only has three uses.

Chapter Edits

Spoiler

-As the game progresses, enemies are given more weapons to give them more weapon triangle control.

-Manaketes now have 1-2 range

-With the exception of Murgleiss, the Gaiden bosses wield the Holy Weapons they're guarding, because why not, they already have the weapon ranks for it.

-Rude has been moved down one tile so he's not sitting on the throne and can be attacked from melee range by more than one unit per turn (because taking him down on the throne with the nerfed effective damage is monstrous).

-Some enemy levels reduced in Chapter 7. NPCs also appear one turn later to help their survivability.

-Ally reinforcements appear one turn earlier in Chapter 8. An alternate path is also available to aid progression through the level.

-Aesthetic change only, but Aine has been renamed Manakete and his portrait is used for all Manaketes. Because he's no more special than any of the others in terms of plot. Some dragons, including Aine, can also attack at 1-2 range.

-Percival hangs around one turn longer in Chapter 13, so recruiting him then is in some way conceivable for the average player.

-Douglas has been given an Elixir to help him survive. Narcian also moves to make for a more interesting boss battle. He has buffed luck stat to compensate not being on a throne. A Manakete sits on the throne in his place. There have been some slight map changes to support this.

-Pereth has been given a massive HP boost to make him harder to warp skip (I still warp skip him anyway because screw doing that chapter legitimately).

-Guinevere gets battle quotes with the three mage generals. Zephiel has also been given some personal battle quotes, because he sorely needed them. Yahn has some too! Guess which characters trigger them.

-Yahn has capped speed.

-Idoun's speed has been buffed considerably so she can't be doubled. Her defence has also been nerfed so more units can damage her.
-Idoun has two weapons, both have equal power and a Nosferateau effect, but one targets res and the other targets def. When targeting res she has a defense boost and when targeting defense she has a res boost.
-Idoun aggros from the first turn. Roy's starting position in the battle has also changed.

Known Issues

Spoiler

-The opening demo causes a glitch that freezes the game. This has been circumnavigated by bringing the player directly to the main menu on loading the rom.
-The Axe Wyvern Lord sprite doesn't come with a Hand Axe animation, so they throw a javelin.
-Sprites for units that mix strength and magic get confused when attacking at one range. Checking weapon ranks also can't be done for physical wepaons on hybrids.
-Title Card for Ilia Chapter 17 is messed up for some reason.
-To implement the rogue, I had to override the female thief class, so Cath must us the male thief class. This is actually a benefit for her as male thieves have higher bases. She does lose her nice ponytail though.
-Guinevere's ending freezes the game. I would have written one for her, but for some reason the ending list ends at Zeiss and extending it gives every character after him Roy's ending.
-Guievere can support, but I never bothered to write unique convos for her. If you want to write some for me than go for it.

And here's some of the custom battle conversations I added.

I would upload a playthrough of the Idoun final boss battle if someone would care to tell me how to record of visual media player and not make things look like dirt.

And finally here is the download link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfn9k9q79v4jun3/JotariSuperFunBindingBladePatch.ups?dl=0

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wOAH WHY IS MAGIC TRIANGLE SO STRONG THAT MAKES NO SENSE. and, subjectively, i think that fe6's weapon triangle bonuses work better than +1+15%, as seen in the other gba games, and jESUS NOT FE4'S ONE WHAT THE HELL. also, generals really should have six move if your going to buff knights move, it doesn't matter, but for real, that is dumb. and isn't balance patch a rather liberal term when this (externally at least) seems like it would create chaotic unbalance on the magical side of things?

that being said, i have to commend you giving roy a promo option earlier than basically the end of the game.

but even then, i want to be honest when i say i disagree with many of the changes that you've made, and believe a better philosophy for making FE6 more fun (for me anyway) would be to make the midgame/endgame harder, because the main appeal of fe6 HM for me is the insane enemies that you have to gang up on. of course, this is unbalanced- in a traditional way, but is rather effective at creating naturally strategic positions- and leaving the early game alone, while just buffing some weak characters, and slightly nerfing incredibly powerful characters, not in their strengths, but in their weaknesses.

like just make shin a little lower on the defense to create a glass cannon thats fun to use and abuse, but not as impossibly powerful, rather than attack his strength, which is the core of what makes him strong, alongside his speed

besides? what is it that makes fe6 unbalanced? why its the fact that so so many characters are horribly unviable, and the fierce demand for combat viability only exasturbating this. so, thats basically what i think of this, as an outsider looking in. and i'm probably not gonna play this, if im honest, so i won't give criticism thats THAT deep.

*oh and duh yes fe6 is terribly balanced i do agree with that. i would not un-ironically say that fe6 is better balanced that something like fe8. just that i disagree with the changes @Jotari has written up here.

Just a note: A 5% increase to growths means an average of one extra stat point every 20 levels.  I'd rather adjust bases (and axe hit rate), but it's your call!

5 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

wOAH WHY IS MAGIC TRIANGLE SO STRONG THAT MAKES NO SENSE. and, subjectively, i think that fe6's weapon triangle bonuses work better than +1+15%, as seen in the other gba games, and jESUS NOT FE4'S ONE WHAT THE HELL. also, generals really should have six move if your going to buff knights move, it doesn't matter, but for real, that is dumb. and isn't balance patch a rather liberal term when this (externally at least) seems like it would create chaotic unbalance on the magical side of things?

that being said, i have to commend you giving roy a promo option earlier than basically the end of the game.

but even then, i want to be honest when i say i disagree with many of the changes that you've made, and believe a better philosophy for making FE6 more fun (for me anyway) would be to make the midgame/endgame harder, because the main appeal of fe6 HM for me is the insane enemies that you have to gang up on. of course, this is unbalanced- in a traditional way, but is rather effective at creating naturally strategic positions- and leaving the early game alone, while just buffing some weak characters, and slightly nerfing incredibly powerful characters, not in their strengths, but in their weaknesses.

like just make shin a little lower on the defense to create a glass cannon thats fun to use and abuse, but not as impossibly powerful, rather than attack his strength, which is the core of what makes him strong, alongside his speed

besides? what is it that makes fe6 unbalanced? why its the fact that so so many characters are horribly unviable, and the fierce demand for combat viability only exasturbating this. so, thats basically what i think of this, as an outsider looking in. and i'm probably not gonna play this, if im honest, so i won't give criticism thats THAT deep.

*oh and duh yes fe6 is terribly balanced i do agree with that. i would not un-ironically say that fe6 is better balanced that something like fe8. just that i disagree with the changes @Jotari has written up here.

The magical triangle is so strong because it's practically useless under its current implementation. Even as a I mentioned, it might seem extreme, but basically every mage having tanky res means its not nearly as bad as it looks. The much bigger difference is the hit rate it provides or takes away. Essentially it makes what magic you attack with actually matter and makes mage vs mage combat a viable strategy.

As I've said already, I don't actually have any problem with Generals, once the unit gets going they tend to be pretty good. Knights are the characters that struggle. And although I only trains Bors on my playthrough, the changes really helped. Especially access to axes in tier 1. It gave him weapon triangle advantage against the multitude of lance wielding cavaliers in early game. Despite coming with E rank axes, I managed to get him to S upon promotion and he even got to wield Armads (he also managed to get S lances too, just because he saw so much combat).

Shin's strength was nerfed in proportion to the overall increase of the power of bows. So functionally, it remains the exact same (actually he's a little stronger since I only nerfed him two points and all bows got +3mt).

I suggest you give it go. Maybe you're right and balance patch isn't quite the exact term for it, but I think you'd be surprised how it how many ways it changes the game.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Just a note: A 5% increase to growths means an average of one extra stat point every 20 levels.  I'd rather adjust bases (and axe hit rate), but it's your call!

Yeah, I probably could have went a bit further changing the weaker characters, though I didn't really want to characters to lose their identity (even if that identity is, well, being rather crap). For the most part I did increase bases over growths, I just gave 5% to (possibly) the three worst characters so they get a little edge. 

This is already a good remastered rom hack of FE6!!! keep up the good work bro ( for so many years searching for a good remastered FE6 rom hacks that has some add ons)

By the way I have also suggestions too: can you make a support viewer like the ones in fe 7 and 8 and also support pairings

Lots of interesting changes for this patch. I'm not sure if this patch is enough to make players use Juno or Dayan, but I'm only going to talk about Dayan after my current playthrough. Juno is still going to be far behind the other pegasus knights and everybody else. At least her offensive stats should be boosted.

I'm glad that Sophia and Wendy gained the much needed Skill they missed in the game, buuuut Wendy might be OP now. I mean when she promotes, she'll only miss movement.

8 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Lots of interesting changes for this patch. I'm not sure if this patch is enough to make players use Juno or Dayan, but I'm only going to talk about Dayan after my current playthrough. Juno is still going to be far behind the other pegasus knights and everybody else. At least her offensive stats should be boosted.

I'm glad that Sophia and Wendy gained the much needed Skill they missed in the game, buuuut Wendy might be OP now. I mean when she promotes, she'll only miss movement.

Giving Juno a high base stave rank could do wonders for her viability I'll put that in the next update.

ll

58 minutes ago, Street Hero said:

Well, iirc, fe6 didn't have "use items ( especially stats booster)" in preparation screen. Did your hack have it?

Hide contents

Pls be "yes" pls be "yes"

Nah. That would require adding things. I just edited what already existed. I sympathize though, had characters go for chapters without the stat boosters in their inventory either because I needed them to attack or I didnt, which meant I ignored them and forgot to use it.

I think that a good way to "get around" the problem with the Firebreaths is to change the animation for the Elfire one. It might not look as good, but at least it will be a lot better of what you currently have, and it will not break the battle animations too much.

Also, to add more options, you could have Sophia have conversations with Zephiel and Jahn as well. I don't particulary like the character, but it would make sense since she is a half dragon.
Probably something about realizing the fact, but feeling that she is just an abomination to their eyes.

And since you did add Guinivere, I feel that Gale could have a change to be recruitable as well. His situation is a no-brainer, I think.

Isn't there a way to skip all of the endings? As not make them not appear at all after the credits? Although, it most cases it doesn't really matter, since there is nothing else to do.

I'm really enjoying this patch, but I ran into two issues when promoting Chad. For one, his Rogue Sprite looks like a female Rogue Sprite. A critical issue however, is that he doesn't have any Mov for whatever reason when he promotes. 

edit: he also doesn't gain experience anymore when he promotes 

Chad Emblem_1536014742325.png

Edited by Tosho
I wanted to

3 hours ago, TheUltimateChaos said:

I think that a good way to "get around" the problem with the Firebreaths is to change the animation for the Elfire one. It might not look as good, but at least it will be a lot better of what you currently have, and it will not break the battle animations too much.

Also, to add more options, you could have Sophia have conversations with Zephiel and Jahn as well. I don't particulary like the character, but it would make sense since she is a half dragon.
Probably something about realizing the fact, but feeling that she is just an abomination to their eyes.

And since you did add Guinivere, I feel that Gale could have a change to be recruitable as well. His situation is a no-brainer, I think.

Isn't there a way to skip all of the endings? As not make them not appear at all after the credits? Although, it most cases it doesn't really matter, since there is nothing else to do.

To be honest I wish I'd just changed the default Manakete weapon to two range and left every one in the game like that. I thought it might be too broken if every manakete could attack two range, but I ended up giving them to most anyway (the game is actually way more reserved with it's number of manaketes than I remember).

2 hours ago, Tosho said:

I'm really enjoying this patch, but I ran into two issues when promoting Chad. For one, his Rogue Sprite looks like a female Rogue Sprite. A critical issue however, is that he doesn't have any Mov for whatever reason when he promotes. 

edit: he also doesn't gain experience anymore when he promotes 

Chad Emblem_1536014742325.png

Oh dang. I knew about the movement issue, but I thought I'd fixed it. Maybe I just plum forgot. Give me a bit and I'll look into it (the female sprite I'm not all too concerned about. It looks androgynous enough for me. I don't really like how there's male and female versions of every class in FE6).

Edited by Jotari

Okay, the patch is updated. I think the issue with the rogue was happening because I added the class to a blank spot at the end of the class list which is out of bounds for some checks. I've managed to get around the problem by moving the rogue class to the female thief position. So everything should work fine now, except female thieves are no longer a thing. Given Cath is the only female thief in the game, the only real change this results in is the loss of her ponytail for map animations. How big a loss that is is up to you. The manakete floating head issue has also been fixed by giving every manakete in the game 1-2 range (the reason for the sprite issue was because they were using something other than their base weapon, not because of the 1-2 range). There could be one or two manaketes I've missed that are still floating heads, so be sure to inform me if you see any. Oh, also Juno now has A staves, relegating her almost entirely to flying rescue bot.

Talk about Cath, now that promotion is available to thieves, I think she should start as a pre-promote to make her viable. I feel like Astolfo and Chad offers much more at her joining time, and she's not worth all the recruitment requirements (except for the fact that she doesn't run around the map opening chests before us). Chapter 12 is not early game anymore.

18 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Talk about Cath, now that promotion is available to thieves, I think she should start as a pre-promote to make her viable. I feel like Astolfo and Chad offers much more at her joining time, and she's not worth all the recruitment requirements (except for the fact that she doesn't run around the map opening chests before us). Chapter 12 is not early game anymore.

Hmm. Something to take into consideration. Although she does come at level 10, so you can promote her instantly yourself. Her coming prepromoted would just save the player a master seal if they want to use her, which definitely isn't a bad thing.

Edit: Oh wait, she doesn't come at level 10, she only comes at level 5. Man, what were they thinking with her? There's absolutely no incentive to use her over the other thieves besides character bias. Astol comes at level 10 like four chapters before her! Alright, I'll make her prepromoted, but I'm not really sure what it will do to her bases.

Edited by Jotari

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

Nah. That would require adding things. I just edited what already existed. I sympathize though, had characters go for chapters without the stat boosters in their inventory either because I needed them to attack or I didnt, which meant I ignored them and forgot to use it.

Well FML

8 hours ago, Hudder368 said:

This doesn't work for me at all. I have several different roms, even the one listed in the topic post but every thing I try and patch on NUPS it just says it is "invalid"

Strange. Is anyone else encountering the same problem? I use tsukuyomi to patch UPS files. Maybe try using that.

18 hours ago, Hudder368 said:

Tried that and still didn't use. It just says "Failed! Input checksum is invalid"

10 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Try to set the patcher to ignore the checksum. Just backup the ROM beforehand.

I assume you were advising Hudder to do this. Quoting you both just so he doesn't miss it.

4 hours ago, Street Hero said:

Just my suggestion but you can use something here to fix the animations " known issue "

I've used several sprites from there. But the sprites not existing isn't the problem. It's the fact that magic and physical attacks aren't meant to mix in these games, so the game gets confused when a unit can do both.

39 minutes ago, Awds said:

When I tried to start the first chapter the game restarts and keeps doing it.any help?

Oh wow. We're getting a lot of unforeseen glitches I have no idea how to fix. Is this happening for anyone else?